Anthony Black - Arkansas

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,156

Re: Anthony Black - Arkansas 

Post#281 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 11, 2024 9:43 pm

eyriq wrote:Are there really better PG prospects in this draft over AB? That sounds like bs.

yeah, like 9 or 10. Combination of people being wrong about AB and wrong about the quality of this draft class which is why it probably sounds like b.s. to you
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#282 » by basketballRob » Sun May 19, 2024 11:36 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
eyriq wrote:Are there really better PG prospects in this draft over AB? That sounds like bs.

yeah, like 9 or 10. Combination of people being wrong about AB and wrong about the quality of this draft class which is why it probably sounds like b.s. to you
I bet no pg drafted this season will start 30 games on a winning team and have a positive net rating. Black did. He's also younger than most of the players getting drafted in the first round this season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#283 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 20, 2024 12:39 am

Black is massively better than Castle.

Black's BBIQ and ability to get to the rim and line is just way beyond Castle.

Hating on Anthony Black while praising Steph Castle is just really weird at best. Black was an elite help defender in college and was just way better than Castle on offense. Castle was not good at offense this year.

Castle probably going 4th in the draft despite being a PG with no way to score and a limited ability to create for others is probably the most damning point against this class.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,389

Post#284 » by CptCrunch » Mon May 20, 2024 3:37 am

There are no PG better than AB in this draft. AB now would be taken at #2/3 easily.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#285 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon May 20, 2024 3:51 am

basketballRob wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

I bet no pg drafted this season will start 30 games on a winning team and have a positive net rating. Black did. He's also younger than most of the players getting drafted in the first round this season.

who cares about games started as a rookie? There are so many variables that dictate minutes and starts that are out of player's hands like trades, injuries, organization philosiphy, etc. For instance, last year's starter, Fultz, missed half the season and took awhile to get back up to speed. Harris missed 1/3 of the season. I especially love how you have to add qualifiers like "on a winning team" and "positive net ratings". It's so easy to add in hindsight.

What matters is, when we look back on the 2023 and 2024 drafts in 5 years, where will Black rank compared to the 2024 point guards. Even if several guards from this class start more than Black did last season I won't be coming back to gloat because it's meaningless.

Likely 1st round picks younger or approx. same age as 20.5 y/o Black

Sarr
Risacher
Topic
Castle
Collier
Dillingham
Carrington
Salaun
Sheppard
Buzelis
Holland
Walter
McCain
Missi
Furphy
Smith
Filipowski
Williams
George
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,570

Post#286 » by BigGargamel » Mon May 20, 2024 4:04 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

9 or 10 POINT GUARDS or 9 or 10 PLAYERS? Players could be debatable (I disagree)..but POINT GUARDS only? That's quite a claim. :lol:

Fultz is a free agent, so Black should be given the keys next year for Orlando. I'm expecting a huge jump. I have a hard time putting a Topic, Dillingham or Sheppard over Black.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#287 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon May 20, 2024 6:27 am

BigGargamel wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

9 or 10 POINT GUARDS or 9 or 10 PLAYERS? Players could be debatable (I disagree)..but POINT GUARDS only? That's quite a claim. :lol:

Fultz is a free agent, so Black should be given the keys next year for Orlando. I'm expecting a huge jump. I have a hard time putting a Topic, Dillingham or Sheppard over Black.

these are the point guards (yes I view them all as playing PG in the NBA or as much a point guard as Black is) prospects I like more than Black.

Topic
Castle
Carrington
Collier
Dillingham
Carter
McCain
Mitchell

I also think George should play PG and if he was to be given a chance he too would be ahead of Black but he likely won't so he isn't listed.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#288 » by basketballRob » Mon May 20, 2024 11:33 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

9 or 10 POINT GUARDS or 9 or 10 PLAYERS? Players could be debatable (I disagree)..but POINT GUARDS only? That's quite a claim.

these are the point guards (yes I view them all as playing PG in the NBA or as much a point guard as Black is) prospects I like more than Black.

Topic
Castle
Carrington
Collier
Dillingham
Carter
McCain
Mitchell

I also think George should play PG and if he was to be given a chance he too would be ahead of Black but he likely won't so he isn't listed.
Let's see how that goes this year. The most likely scenario is that all of them will suck next season. It takes a few years to be a good player in the NBA.

FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#289 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon May 20, 2024 1:07 pm

basketballRob wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
9 or 10 POINT GUARDS or 9 or 10 PLAYERS? Players could be debatable (I disagree)..but POINT GUARDS only? That's quite a claim.

Topic
Castle
Carrington
Collier
Dillingham
Carter
McCain
Mitchell

Let's see how that goes this year. The most likely scenario is that all of them will suck next season. It takes a few years to be a good player in the NBA.

again, couldn't care less about next season. It's how it looks when the dust settles and they've all had a few seasons under their belt and are nearly fully developed. Oh, and I forgot Simpson
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#290 » by basketballRob » Mon May 20, 2024 3:34 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

Topic
Castle
Carrington
Collier
Dillingham
Carter
McCain
Mitchell

again, couldn't care less about next season. It's how it looks when the dust settles and they've all had a few seasons under their belt and are nearly fully developed. Oh, and I forgot Simpson
Let us know when they pass Black.

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#291 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:39 pm

Anthony Black is the most reluctant 39% 3 pt shooter in NBA history lol.

Also claiming someone is a pg with 10.7% assist rate( last among pgs) but then claiming he would be best incoming pg is a decision.. 317th among all players.

I still think he could turn into a solid rotation piece, but he was probably not even a top 15 rookie this year.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#292 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 21, 2024 5:07 am

basketballRob wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Let's see how that goes this year. The most likely scenario is that all of them will suck next season. It takes a few years to be a good player in the NBA.

they already have. Have you not been paying attention? What the hell have we been going back and forth on for the past few days? I literally said I'd take all of these guys over Black right now.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#293 » by basketballRob » Tue May 21, 2024 8:39 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

they already have. Have you not been paying attention? What the hell have we been going back and forth on for the past few days? I literally said I'd take all of these guys over Black right now.

Okay, we'll see if they're better this season.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#294 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 11:16 pm

There is no universe in which Steph Castle is better than Anthony Black.

If you think Anthony Black is a bad player, you should be viewing Castle as basketball poison.

Black's BBIQ is just so much better and his handle is just massively better.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,497

Post#295 » by Big J » Wed May 22, 2024 1:58 am

Black this year reminded me of Hawks Boris Diaw. He should be moved to pf so that his passing and ball handling can take advantage of favorable matchups.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#296 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 am

basketballRob wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Let us know when they pass Black.

Okay, we'll see if they're better this season.

you'll be the only one who cares if they're better as rookies. Have fun with that. Check back in 3-4 years when everyone has had ample opportunity to develop or not
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#297 » by basketballRob » Wed May 22, 2024 2:40 am

Okay, wait 3-4 and see if they're better.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#298 » by basketballRob » Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Anthony Black is the most reluctant 39% 3 pt shooter in NBA history lol.

Also claiming someone is a pg with 10.7% assist rate( last among pgs) but then claiming he would be best incoming pg is a decision.. 317th among all players.

I still think he could turn into a solid rotation piece, but he was probably not even a top 15 rookie this year.

He played SG last season and had very low usage. Gary Harris played the same role. He did shoot his open 3s, he just didn't have the ball much. When he did bring the ball up it was to hand it off to Paolo. They weren't going to play a rookie at PG and try to make the playoffs. Black had the best defensive rating among all rookies and had games where he shut down Haliburton and Brunson.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#299 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:54 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Anthony Black is the most reluctant 39% 3 pt shooter in NBA history lol.

He played SG last season and had very low usage. Gary Harris played the same role. They weren't going to play a rookie at PG. Black had the best defensive rating among all rookies and had games where he shut down Haliburton and Brunson.

He couldn't play PG next to two guys that shouldn't be starting pgs in the NBA. That is the problem...
Fultz is a backup level player, Suggs is a defense SG not a lead playmaker.

Black wasn't a threat as a playmaker, shooter and was one of the worst per36 scorers in the NBA.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_per_minute.html
37 yr old Kyle Lowry was more of an offensive threat

He also was unplayable in the playoffs despite all he is a winning player BS.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#300 » by basketballRob » Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 pm

Suggs was the PG and Harris was the SG for the majority of games last season. Suggs started 77 games at PG.

Return to NBA Draft