Lmao this thread is legendary

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,721

Re: Why isn’t there a thread on Bronny? 

Post#342 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:11 am

Big J wrote:I have various clients. Pro teams, international, media, hell even other scouts.

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,721

Post#343 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:13 am

Big J wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Local high school, lol. Cmon bro.
I mean ain't no way some guy fresh out of highschool is scouting for nba teams. That sounds ridiculous my guy lmao.

Not really, it's freelance work. I'm not actually employed by any of them. Not that I'd want to be an NBA scout, it's brutal from what I've heard.

"I'm amazing at what I do, I have lots of clients, but this job is not for me"
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,496

Post#344 » by Big J » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:28 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Big J wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I mean ain't no way some guy fresh out of highschool is scouting for nba teams. That sounds ridiculous my guy lmao.

Not really, it's freelance work. I'm not actually employed by any of them. Not that I'd want to be an NBA scout, it's brutal from what I've heard.

One of my buddies that is employed by an NBA team travels 10 months out of the year, grinds 80+ hour weeks, and they treat him like ****.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,302

Post#345 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:42 am

Big J wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
Big J wrote:

One of my buddies that is employed by an NBA team travels 10 months out of the year, grinds 80+ hour weeks, and they treat him like ****.

Big J
General Manager

Post#346 » by Big J » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:14 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Get therapy.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,658

Post#347 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:38 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Get therapy.

So which players are you scouting right now and where have you been lately?
Big J
General Manager

Post#348 » by Big J » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:56 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Get therapy.

It's mostly the big names. I do a lot of deep digging. I talk to former coaches, friends, teaches, the janitor at their high school. A lot of my clients want to know to kind of people they are off the court, and what kind of work ethic they have. The cool thing about freelance work is that you don't have to actually do much traveling at all.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,658

Post#349 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:08 am

Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Get therapy.

It's mostly the big names. I do a lot of deep digging. I talk to former coaches, friends, teaches, the janitor at their high school. A lot of my clients want to know to kind of people they are off the court, and what kind of work ethic they have. The cool thing about freelance work is that you don't have to actually do much traveling at all.

Well good for you (if you're serious) about doing all of that at such a young age.

My recommendation to the mods (Duke?) would be to create a custom sidebar underneath your handle signifying your a scout so folks are aware...kind of like, verified twitter.
Big J
General Manager

Post#350 » by Big J » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:36 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Well good for you (if you're serious) about doing all of that at such a young age.

My recommendation to the mods (Duke?) would be to create a custom sidebar underneath your handle signifying your a scout so folks are aware...kind of like, verified twitter.

Thanks man, I'm just doing what I enjoy right now. A custom handle isn't a bad idea. 8-)
Big J
General Manager

Post#351 » by Big J » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:11 am

If you're not impressed with what he did tonight you're lyin'. Dude's jumper is so **** wet.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,566

Post#352 » by zimpy27 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:18 am

5 triples in the All-American game..
Couple steals and assists too..

Looked like one of the 5 best players out there.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,135

Post#353 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:22 am

Big J wrote:If you're not impressed with what he did tonight you're lyin'. Dude's jumper is so **** wet.

I mean not really. He isnt some sharpshooter, ya dont get me wrong the jumper looks solid and he made some catch and shoot 3s tonight. Ya everyone knows he is a capable shooter.

For as impressive as his jumper was, his complete lack of first step and dynamic handle was painfully obvious as well. Ya he can jump high, but everywhere else he is not a plus athlete.

Again if we are judging Bronny for what he really is (an off ball energy guy), ya he is solid. But on court ability, no he isnt some future top 10 pick, he isnt a top 10 guy in this class. He basically did tonight what all the reports from over the weekend said, he hit his catch and shoot opportunities, didnt stand out anywhere else.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,566

Post#354 » by zimpy27 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:20 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Big J wrote:If you're not impressed with what he did tonight you're lyin'. Dude's jumper is so **** wet.

I mean not really. He isnt some sharpshooter, ya dont get me wrong the jumper looks solid and he made some catch and shoot 3s tonight. Ya everyone knows he is a capable shooter.

For as impressive as his jumper was, his complete lack of first step and dynamic handle was painfully obvious as well. Ya he can jump high, but everywhere else he is not a plus athlete.

Again if we are judging Bronny for what he really is (an off ball energy guy), ya he is solid. But on court ability, no he isnt some future top 10 pick, he isnt a top 10 guy in this class. He basically did tonight what all the reports from over the weekend said, he hit his catch and shoot opportunities, didnt stand out anywhere else.

You don't think a small wing defender with an impressive perimeter jumpshot and hops has potential to be a top 10 pick in this particular draft?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#355 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:28 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

You don't think a small wing defender with an impressive perimeter jumpshot and hops has potential to be a top 10 pick in this particular draft?

No, you can get guys like that late in the draft all the time. And again its not like Bronny is some sharpshooter either. Ya his jumper is getting better, but he isnt viewed as a knock down shooter yet.

And I want to be clear with this, if Duke wasnt stacked at the guard spot, I would love to have Bronny go to Duke. So Im not some hater or anything with him.

But like what makes Bronny better than McCain? McCain is the far better shooter, same size, much much better athletically when it comes to first step and lateral agility and McCain is a damn good defender himself. No one talks about McCain being a top 10 pick, hell most people around Duke view McCain as a 2-3 year kind of player. Same question can be made for Bronny vs Foster, Foster walked circles around Bronny multiple times this year, Foster aint being talked about as a top 10 pick.

Again I like Bronny and if he was going to Duke Id be pumped. But watch him again tonight, his on ball ability in the half court is no where near the other guards in this class. And youre not going to take a 6'3 SG who isnt a knock down shooter yet but has potential as a shooter and is a good defender but not some Marcus Smart, Jrue, or even Cason Wallace level. Tre Jones is 6'3, an elite defender, outside of hops is equal to an athlete as Bronny, and Tre actually has a handle and is an elite facilitator. Tre went 2nd round.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#356 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:48 am

people just refuse to take their Ls. It's hilarious. Despite tonight's showing and likely path forward in college (being an off-ball SG) Bronny has no chance at being a top 10 pick. He's a combo guard in a loaded PG and wing draft class. Bronny's game won't shine in all-star games (despite the great shooting tonight) as much as it will in organized basketball at the collegiate level. Remember to consider, though some seem incapable of this, these kids will continue to improve and in some instances grow in leaps and bounds over the next few years. They won't be fully developed players for another 5 years. There's plenty of time for them to improve their handle and shot. The things you can't improve like BBIQ, athleticism, competitiveness and unselfishness, Bronny has in spades.

I think Bronny should choose a school that allows him to play PG so he's forced to run an offense and improve and hopefully showcase his play-making. You won't see his ability to do this when there are more natural PGs on his team. If he goes to a school where he's an off-ball SG he'll be doing his development a disservice. He CAN run the PnR and he CAN pass but because he's such a good off-ball player who doesn't need the ball, and because there's always been a good PG, he isn't asked to do it and that imho hasn't been good for his game. It gives his haters ammunition to claim he can't, that he doesn't have the handle, lateral quickness, first step, and all the other such nonsense.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,839

Post#357 » by yoyoboy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:02 am

I wish the best for Bronny, but it’s important to keep in mind that most successful 3+D players in the NBA were essentially creators at the high-school level. Basically only being a 3+D guy at this level, while also only being 6’3, does speak to his limitations. I think there will be a role for him in the league, but if we’re being honest it’s looking like he’s a second-round talent at this point. If he were 3-4 inches taller, now you’re talking about a lotto talent. But that archetype of player at that size really isn’t that valuable, and I don’t know how realistic it is that he all of a sudden develops an on-ball game after high school given his lack of burst and handles. He’s also been playing basketball all his life with the best resources available, so the experience is there too.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#358 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:07 pm

if you'd ever watched bronny, it's the same bronny we've seen. below average defensively, can't make any plays off the bounce, can't get by anybody, lacks quickness, basically just shot and hit mostly open threes. as great of a leaper as he is, which might be his best attribute, he has trouble getting on top of the rim in games. but he made some crazy dunks in warmups!

having said all that, of course bostoncouchgm is right - he is just 18 - there is still a lot of room for improvement in his game. it would be silly to write him off completely but i see a second round level talent at most. i hope i'm wrong.
Big J
General Manager

Post#359 » by Big J » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 pm

Bronny is like the ultimate underdog. No matter what he does he gets relentless hate.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#360 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:55 pm

Big J wrote:Bronny is like the ultimate underdog. No matter what he does he gets relentless hate.

Where is the hate exactly? It seems like the most critical of people with him say he is a guy that should be ranked in the 30s-40s (which he still is on some recruiting services) and that he doesnt have the game of a top 10 pick because he is a 6'3 2 guard who doesnt have a half court game on offense.

Like honestly are the critiques that have been brought up in this thread legit or not?

Does Bronny have a great first step or lateral agility?
Does Bronny have a dynamic handle?
Does Bronny show an ability to create shots in the half court?

Return to NBA Draft