Zach Edey, 7-4

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#401 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 am

Boban is literally a million times more skilled than Edey and he DNP's every single game. Imagine how badly Boban would be destroying college dudes right now, and then put that into your evaluation this big lumbering oaf.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 868

Post#402 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:29 am

Big J wrote:Boban is literally a million times more skilled than Edey and he DNP's every single game. Imagine how badly Boban would be destroying college dudes right now, and then put that into your evaluation this big lumbering oaf.

I feel like people are just making up the level of skill needed or not needed for a 7'4" bruiser depending on whether or not they like him.

Edey is Yao Ming with much longer arms and has all the skills you need to be great offensively in the NBA with his hands, touch, and footwork.

Yao probably couldn't play in the NBA in this era.

Edey probably can't play in this era either and thus he's a fringe first round pick. If illegal defense is abolished or something, I do think Edey has a chance to be a really good player so he's worth a look in the late 20s in this horrible class. He could be a 20-25 PPG guy on really good efficiency... If he can somehow stay on the court for 34+ MPG (unlikely due to how bad he is at defense)

As a millennial who grew up watching Yao and really likes Yao, that is depressing, but that's just how it is.

But "Edey has no offensive skills and just physical tools'd his way into back to back player of the year awards and three straight historically dominant years statistically" ... no.
Big J
General Manager

Post#403 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:04 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Big J wrote:Boban is literally a million times more skilled than Edey and he DNP's every single game. Imagine how badly Boban would be destroying college dudes right now, and then put that into your evaluation this big lumbering oaf.

I feel like people are just making up the level of skill needed or not needed for a 7'4" bruiser depending on whether or not they like him.

Edey is Yao Ming with much longer arms and has all the skills you need to be great offensively in the NBA with his hands, touch, and footwork.

Edey probably can't play in this era either and thus he's a fringe first round pick. If illegal defense is abolished or something, I do think Edey has a chance to be a really good player so he's worth a look in the late 20s in this horrible class. He could be a 20-25 PPG guy on really good efficiency... If he can somehow stay on the court for 34+ MPG (unlikely due to how bad he is at defense)

As a millennial who grew up watching Yao and really likes Yao, that is depressing, but that's just how it is.

But "Edey has no offensive skills and just physical tools'd his way into back to back player of the year awards and three straight historically dominant years statistically" ... no.

Yao was a much better defender and would be stretched out 3s in today’s NBA. He’d be like a bigger better Porzingis. Watching Yao was actually fun. I’d rather watch paint dry than watch Edey. He just ain’t it.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,452

Post#404 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:23 am

Yep. Been saying that. Edey doesn’t even have super soft hands
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#405 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:26 am

Edey's playstyle being unwatchable has no bearing on whether or not he's a skilled player. Prime Harden was extremely skilled and put together many of the most unwatchable games in NBA history.

Yao could not move nearly as well as even post prime Porzingis on the Celtics this year.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,452

Post#406 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:26 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Edey's playstyle being unwatchable has no bearing on whether or not he's a skilled player. Prime Harden was extremely skilled and put together many of the most unwatchable games in NBA history.

Yao could not move nearly as well as even post prime Porzingis on the Celtics this year.

True or false - there is 0 chance you can play him more than spot minutes
Big J
General Manager

Post#407 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:34 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Edey's playstyle being unwatchable has no bearing on whether or not he's a skilled player. Prime Harden was extremely skilled and put together many of the most unwatchable games in NBA history.

Yao had excellent defensive instincts. He was always in the right spot kind of like a slower bigger Tim Duncan. Edey is not only slow as molasses, but he also has Enes Kanter level defensive awareness.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#408 » by ItsDanger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 am

Boban is soft, doesn't utilize the jump hook like Edey, and is quite slower, less agile. Other than being similar size, they really aren't that similar in style.

If these kind of arguments are going to be used, be consistent. That means you wouldn't draft 50% of all mocked players, minimum.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#409 » by OriAr » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:25 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Yao not being able to play in today's league might be the biggest BS I've ever read on RealGM, whatever your thoughts of Edey are Yao would've been easily a top 10 center (And maybe top 5) if he played today.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#410 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:58 am

azcatz11 wrote:

You probably can't, but I think there's some chance depending on one of three things happening

1. He's just so ridiculously dominant on offense that he makes up for his terrible defense
2. He's just mobile enough to only be a bad defender instead of the worst defender in the NBA
3. Defensive three seconds is removed

I have Edey as a late first, early second round guy to be clear.
Big J
General Manager

Post#411 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:01 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

You probably can't, but I think there's some chance depending on one of three things happening

1. He's just so ridiculously dominant on offense that he makes up for his terrible defense
2. He's just mobile enough to only be a bad defender instead of the worst defender in the NBA
3. Defensive three seconds is removed

I have Edey as a late first, early second round guy to be clear.

Is Edey any better than say Zubac on offense? I'd say no, and Edey on D makes Zubac look like prime Tim Duncan in comparison.
Big J
General Manager

Post#412 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:58 pm

So fuggin tired of TV analysts getting mad that he's not being talked about as a lotto pick.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,462

Post#413 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:23 pm

I think Edey will have a better pro career than Luka Garza
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#414 » by ItsDanger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 pm

Big J wrote:So fuggin tired of TV analysts getting mad that he's not being talked about as a lotto pick.

Read on Twitter

They don't quadruple team these other prospects for a reason.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,196

Post#415 » by moderndarwin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:38 pm

I don’t get why he couldn’t be a decently good NBa player.

He can absolutely dominate on offensive side with his size even in NBA level especially if he keeps improving physically with speed and stamina.

And on defense it seems like playing a matchup type zone with him down low is possible. Play that for 15 mins-20 mins a game.

He obviously can’t play in all situations but he’s a workhorse and he could help out benches tremendously in my opinion.
Big J
General Manager

Post#416 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Big J wrote:So fuggin tired of TV analysts getting mad that he's not being talked about as a lotto pick.

Read on Twitter

Cool story bro, and I can post a million defensive screenshots that show why he's unplayable in 2024.
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,489

Post#417 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

With a bad draft year like this someone's gonna draft him. Question is which round?
Big J
General Manager

Post#418 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:42 pm

___Rand___ wrote:With a bad draft year like this someone's gonna draft him. Question is which round?

I wouldn't take him in the 3rd round.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#419 » by ItsDanger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:43 pm

Big J wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:

Read on Twitter

Cool story bro, and I can post a million defensive screenshots that show why he's unplayable in 2024.

Most prospects bust, especially in NBA, in fact many that do make it are just role players. Keep on drafting low ceiling inefficient players, its a losing strategy.
Big J
General Manager

Post#420 » by Big J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Big J wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most prospects bust, especially in NBA, in fact many that do make it are just role players. Keep on drafting low ceiling inefficient players, its a losing strategy.

Bro, Edey's ceiling is low. He won't even be able to stay on the court.

Return to NBA Draft