Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Re: Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham - 2024 NBA Draft 

Post#521 » by Colbinii » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:17 pm

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I see the mistake people are making with Reed. They see him as a shooting guard. Same mistake people made with Steph. They didn't see the huge advantage in a player that can play on and off the ball so fluidly. I think in a similar way to Steph, Reed is going to need a system that takes advantage of this duality. That might be the hardest part about his translation. If a team sticks him entirely in an off ball or on ball role, it's probably not ideal.

That's the problem with all prospects, situation is key

Not really.

Generational Prospects don't have that issue.

A player like Trae Young didn't have that issue because it was clear and obvious what his role was-- a high usage PG.

Players like Herb Jones and Jaden McDaniels didn't have that issue as a 3+D type.

The combo-guards is an archetype which was vastly underutilized and misunderstood for a long time. As the game has evolved, players like Sexton, Murray and Curry [Think Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard] have been better utilized on teams, in large part because the traditional PG is dead and teams employ and require multiple players on the court to make reads and passes to attack the advancement of defensive rotations and systems.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,278

Post#522 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:22 pm

Mixed game for me on Sheppard here. The positives are, he really shot it well 7/10 from 3 is great to see and he had a few that he actually was aggressive on to get shots up with stepbacks and more heat check stuff which is what I have been begging him to do all year if you are going to shoot 53% you have to shoot more, not just the open stuff. So all that was good and noted.

The mehs of the game are he was still very 1 dimensional, with the majority of his scoring still relying on the 3ball. He had 1 bucket at the rim and just 2 fta. Stuff that ideally you would like to see if you are projecting him as #1 option or #1 ball handler at the next level. Made some nice passes for 5 assists, but also had 4 turnovers which continues to be a trend for him 18.1% for year is high especially for his low usage.

but coming back to his defense again, I just think it's very overrated. Kentucky just had a 40 burger dropped on them by Knecht and Sheppard guarded him probably 5 possessions all game. That doesn't scream future all NBA defender. Below is Knecht scoring from the game and you will see the 1 time Reed is on him, Knecht goes right at him with ease on a straight line drive. Knecht is 6-5/6-6 so yeah you can make the case that is why Sheppard isn't guarding him, but many are saying he should be able to gaurd 2s at the NBA level so that should be within his range if thats the case.

Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#523 » by King Ken » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:37 pm

Colbinii wrote:
King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I see the mistake people are making with Reed. They see him as a shooting guard. Same mistake people made with Steph. They didn't see the huge advantage in a player that can play on and off the ball so fluidly. I think in a similar way to Steph, Reed is going to need a system that takes advantage of this duality. That might be the hardest part about his translation. If a team sticks him entirely in an off ball or on ball role, it's probably not ideal.

That's the problem with all prospects, situation is key

Not really.

A player like Trae Young didn't have that issue because it was clear and obvious what his role was-- a high usage PG.

Players like Herb Jones and Jaden McDaniels didn't have that issue as a 3+D type.

The combo-guards is an archetype which was vastly underutilized and misunderstood for a long time. As the game has evolved, players like Sexton, Murray and Curry [Think Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard] have been better utilized on teams, in large part because the traditional PG is dead and teams employ and require multiple players on the court to make reads and passes to attack the advancement of defensive rotations and systems.

I wouldn't say that. You adjust to whatever when you got a generational prospect. Even if you don't play his style, well you do now.

Trae would have definitely had that issue but when went to the best team for his style and we already had spacing in place from the Coach Bud eera. Trae was a boom or bust prospect. He needed a lot to go right and it did early on
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#524 » by Colbinii » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm

King Ken wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
King Ken wrote:That's the problem with all prospects, situation is key

Not really.

I wouldn't say that. You adjust to whatever when you got a generational prospect. Even if you don't play his style, well you do now.

Trae would have definitely had that issue but when went to the best team for his style and we already had spacing in place from the Coach Bud eera. Trae was a boom or bust prospect. He needed a lot to go right and it did early on

You're talking about a different thing than what you originally said.

It was obvious that Trae was either going to make it or not based on his high usage and if you could be efficient with high usage. It was easy to see what his role was going to be in the NBA and he was either going to be great at it and succeed or not. There weren't questions about what Trae's role would be in the NBA.

This is vastly different than Curry/Murray/Reed where it wasn't clear if they were PG or SG, ect.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#525 » by CptCrunch » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:53 pm

Reed's career is over.

Kevin O'Conner now has him as #1.

I'm off the Reed train

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Edit: KOC has sneak edited Reed into #3 now. They are the type of edits he does post draft also.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#526 » by OriAr » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:38 pm

CptCrunch wrote:Reed's career is over.

I'm off the Reed train

Edit: KOC has sneak edited Reed into #3 now. They are the type of edits he does post draft also.

I see him at #1 now, good to see the Sheppard Herd gaining steam!
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#527 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:43 pm

I have Reed #1 among NCAA prospects. I don't know the intls well enough yet to say if that makes him overall #1.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#528 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:46 pm

He's just going to need to get massively better at dribbling to be that valuable in the NBA and that's pretty hard to project as a guy who has been so short that he's had to play guard his entire life.

6'1" Lonzo Ball moves the needle for zero teams if he can't get much better at dribbling.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#529 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:47 pm

My other concerns about Sheppard suddenly learning how to dribble in the NBA and how unlikely it is

1. He's the son of a professional basketball player...
2. He pretty clearly idolizes Steph Curry and has tried to copy all of his moves and has been unsuccessful at copying any of them. I'm pretty sure he would have tried to learn how to dribble.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,093

Post#530 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:03 pm

How many combo guards 6'2" or under with average size, handles, length and athleticism succeed as starters in the NBA? Can you name a single one?

If you're drafting him high it has to be because you envision him being a lead point guard and I'm sorry but the kid just doesn't have the requisite handle or ability to create for himself to play point guard. Can he get there? Maybe? But you can't use high lottery picks on undersized guards that are maybes.

Because there is a very slight maybe of that and because he's at worse going to be a contributor off the bench he still deserves to be in the middle teens to twenties on draft night. But man, these high lottery takes are just getting silly. People are aware that there are other good prospects in this class right? You haven't let the dumb "weak draft class" narrative rot your brain entirely right?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,465

Post#531 » by azcatz11 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:20 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:How many combo guards 6'2" or under with average size, handles, length and athleticism succeed as starters in the NBA? Can you name a single one?

If you're drafting him high it has to be because you envision him being a lead point guard and I'm sorry but the kid just doesn't have the requisite handle or ability to create for himself to play point guard. Can he get there? Maybe? But you can't use high lottery picks on undersized guards that are maybes.

Because there is a very slight maybe of that and because he's at worse going to be a contributor off the bench he still deserves to be in the middle teens to twenties on draft night. But man, these high lottery takes are just getting silly. People are aware that there are other good prospects in this class right? You haven't let the dumb "weak draft class" narrative rot your brain entirely right?

He's a smaller Devin Booker...you don't like the Booker comparison?
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,278

Post#532 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:02 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:How many combo guards 6'2" or under with average size, handles, length and athleticism succeed as starters in the NBA? Can you name a single one?

They play nothing alike...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#533 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:45 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

I don't because Booker was a pure shooting guard scorer with a deep bag even back then. He could take guys off the dribble and finish around the rim or stop and pop. He had a mindset to score. He was taller, longer and a maybe even a better athlete too. I don't think they play very similar at all.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#534 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:48 pm

Notice all these comps are former Kentucky players lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#535 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:39 am

EvanZ wrote:Notice all these comps are former Kentucky players lol

The people have moved beyond Skin Color and are now limiting themselves to school.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,549

Post#536 » by BigGargamel » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:49 am

I'm off the Reed train

Reed Sheppard at #1. WILD :lol:

These "experts" man. They get paid for this stuff. :lol:
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,820

Post#537 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:33 am

The Reed hype seems forced, just because I have seen so many player comparisons and none of the players play anything alike.

I have seen John Stockton, I have seen Steve Kerr, I have seen Michael Brogdon, I have seen Steve Nash.

Like cmon y'all this kid is getting hype and nobody seems to actually know his game. Just throwing out random names. People in this thread saying he needs to improve his dribble. Like cmon how is this guy the #1 pick?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#538 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:39 am

JustBuzzin wrote:The Reed hype seems forced, just because I have seen so many player comparisons and none of the players play anything alike.

I have seen John Stockton, I have seen Steve Kerr, I have seen Michael Brogdon, I have seen Steve Nash.

Like cmon y'all this kid is getting hype and nobody seems to actually know his game. Just throwing out random names. People in this thread saying he needs to improve his dribble. Like cmon how is this guy the #1 pick?

That's just lazy comparisons though. He has GOAT level Defensive Metrics for a college Guard and is the best shooter we have seen since Curry.

The idea that he is going to play like players from 15-30 years ago is wild.

Who is Michael Brogdon? He must be the White Malcolm Brogdon?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#539 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:40 am

I'm off the Reed train

this will age like milk just like his Killian Hayes take. I want to believe he's just trolling for engagement but he's really not. He's really just this bad at projecting players.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,562

Post#540 » by Saints14 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:44 pm

KOC "only" has Reed at 2 on his big board but I do agree with him that he should be #1 on the Spurs. If Reed never becomes a dynamic lead guard and the defense doesn't translate (actually, his off-ball D would be perfect there because with Victor he can gamble more), both those flaws are masked by Wembanyama and he can still be a quality starter for them. He can be a guy to run good offense and feed the ball to Wemby, while being an excellent off-ball shooting threat when Wemby goes to work. And there's some real upside where maybe Sheppard has more on-ball juice than he's showing at UK with their backcourt, and maybe the shooting is actually elite and not just very good. The sample is growing larger, we should probably start talking about him as one of the best shooting prospects since Curry

Return to NBA Draft