Cason Wallace

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruma85
Starter
And1: 935

Re: Cason Wallace 

Post#61 » by Ruma85 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 6:36 am

Jamaaliver wrote:By multiple accounts, Cason had a really good workout with WAS and then promptly cancelled workouts with other teams afterwards.

Sounds like a draft promise...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Really like his mechanics.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,651

Post#62 » by baldur » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:42 am

noob question, is this promise thing for the draftees for real? I mean, so Washington will definitely select cason wallace now of course unless he is selected by another team?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,717

Post#63 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2023 12:11 pm

baldur wrote:noob question, is this promise thing for the draftees for real? I mean, so Washington will definitely select cason wallace now of course unless he is selected by another team?

Nothing is guaranteed. And there are examples of teams making a promise and then passing on the player. (Notoriously Rashard Lewis over a decade ago.)

But yes, if a team is really enamored with the player and the player/agent seem onboard with playing there -- a promise keeps other teams from seeing the kid up close. It also helps to prevent injury in a pointless workout allowing the player to cruise into the draft knowing he won't fall any lower.

Nothing is 100%. But most front offices are smart enough not to p!ss off NBA Agents or highly regarded players unless something really big happens along the way.
GatorbaitDD
Rookie
And1: 675

Post#64 » by GatorbaitDD » Fri Jun 9, 2023 12:30 pm

What am I missing with this kid? How his he not considered a top 5-6 lock? Seems like a sure thing to me.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,651

Post#65 » by baldur » Fri Jun 9, 2023 12:54 pm

GatorbaitDD wrote:What am I missing with this kid? How his he not considered a top 5-6 lock? Seems like a sure thing to me.

top 4-5 is pretty much locked and he is mocked around 6th, 7th or 8th. so not far off actually.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2023 1:30 pm

GatorbaitDD wrote:What am I missing with this kid? How his he not considered a top 5-6 lock? Seems like a sure thing to me.

Offense.

Not a great playmaker and sketchy shooting numbers.

Does he end up closer to a Jrue Holiday or a Kris Dunn caliber of player? :dontknow:

Kevin O'Connor wrote:MINUSES
  • Unproven shooter off the dribble, especially from behind the arc. He’s more comfortable from midrange, especially going to his right. But he hasn’t shown the ability to use crossovers to generate space for jumpers. In part, it’s because he lacks an elite first step to get by defenders as he begins his attack.
  • Considering his lack of burst off the dribble and his lack of an elite handle, he may not have the go-to scoring upside that some teams desire in a top pick. Fit will matter for him, because he needs to be paired with a primary guard that he can thrive off of. But as guards like Tyrese Haliburton have shown, those shotmaking skills can develop over time.
  • Limited by a persistent back injury throughout his freshman season.
The Ringer
GatorbaitDD
Rookie
And1: 675

Post#67 » by GatorbaitDD » Fri Jun 9, 2023 1:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Offense.

Not a great playmaker and sketchy shooting numbers.

Does he end up closer to a Jrue Holiday or a Kris Dunn caliber of player? :dontknow:

Kevin O'Connor wrote:MINUSES
  • Unproven shooter off the dribble, especially from behind the arc. He’s more comfortable from midrange, especially going to his right. But he hasn’t shown the ability to use crossovers to generate space for jumpers. In part, it’s because he lacks an elite first step to get by defenders as he begins his attack.
  • Considering his lack of burst off the dribble and his lack of an elite handle, he may not have the go-to scoring upside that some teams desire in a top pick. Fit will matter for him, because he needs to be paired with a primary guard that he can thrive off of. But as guards like Tyrese Haliburton have shown, those shotmaking skills can develop over time.
  • Limited by a persistent back injury throughout his freshman season.
The Ringer

34.6% from 3 at 19 years old on 4 3s a game doesn't seem unproven to me. He's also damn near 45% from the field in total. In particular when he stacks against guys like Amen (23.3%) and Ausar (30%) from 3 who are even older.

I also do not buy the play maker stuff. Kentucky guards in that dribble drive offense always end up in a lot of ISO. His team wasn't great either and he still average 4.3 assists on 32 mpg. We all know he can defend.

Kris Dunn seems like an outlier as a top 5 pick based on those college stats. Kris was also a 69% FT shooter where Cason is in the high 70s. I am a big believer when you have a small sample size (1 year in college) FT% is a great indicator of 3pt upside. See Maxey for example.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#68 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:02 pm

Part of the issue here is fit with the teams picking. Houston could certainly use him at 4. Detroit is probably a bad fit with Cade and Ivey there. Orlando has Fultz and Suggs. Indiana has a crowded backcourt with Haliburton, Nembhard and Mathurin (Mathurin long term is more of a 2). Washington is a good fit because he could easily slot in with Beal.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,852

Post#69 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:18 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:I find it hard to believe a regime 2-3 days in is already giving out draft promises. Talking about the Wizards here, I don't see it.

2-3 days? You know this dude was the GM for another NBA team right? He has a clear handle on the college dudes and the Wizards personnel.

Of course, I just find it odd that he goes to the new team and is like "alright, shut everything down, we're taking Wallace." I'd be hesitant to promise anyone at 8, the draft can go a variety of different ways.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#70 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:15 pm

GatorbaitDD wrote:34.6% from 3 at 19 years old on four 3s a game doesn't seem unproven to me. He's also damn near 45% from the field in total. In particular when he stacks against guys like Amen (23.3%) and Ausar (30%) from 3 who are even older.

I also do not buy the play maker stuff. Kentucky guards in that dribble drive offense always end up in a lot of ISO. His team wasn't great either and he still average 4.3 assists on 32 mpg. We all know he can defend.

:dontknow:

You asked the question. The answer is his limited offense.

Jonathan Wasserman wrote:Strengths, Weaknesses for Projected Top 2023 NBA Draft Picks

Cason Wallace, Kentucky

Weaknesses
Self-creation: There isn't much creativity or shiftiness with Wallace, who's more of a "take what the defense gives" scorer. He finished with single digits in scoring in 14 games this season. Lacking explosiveness, he's forced into taking lower-percentage, lofting floaters. Wallace relies mostly on ball screens to create space into pull-ups and runners. And you don't get the feeling a defensive big is in significant danger when switched onto Wallace. He's missing blow-by burst.

Range: Of his 35 made pull-ups, 26 came from inside the arc. Without blazing speed, he's not the type of guard who'll make defenses pay on fast breaks or semi transition (20th percentile).
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,477

Post#71 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:20 pm

What makes him clearly a better prospect than Ausar, Amen, Whitmore, Jarace or Hendricks?

Because it has to be clear, since you're saying top 5-6 lock.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:23 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#73 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:27 pm

tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 885

Post#74 » by tester551 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Where is this from?
I'd like to look at some other prospects... I haven't seen this analysis before.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2023 6:24 pm

tester551 wrote:Where is this from?

I'd like to look at some other prospects... I haven't seen this analysis before.

Read on Twitter
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,640

Post#76 » by big-shot-ROB » Fri Jun 9, 2023 9:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

what webpage is this?
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,745

Post#77 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:17 pm

A lot of people are concerned that he is 19 and already has a bad back. That's one of those things that might be genetic and not something you can fix. I like his game I think he's a John wall type with better defence and a better shooting touch.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:21 pm

Not nearly the athlete John Wall was though. He’s more like a skinny Marcus Smart to me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,745

Post#79 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:11 am

EvanZ wrote:Not nearly the athlete John Wall was though. He’s more like a skinny Marcus Smart to me.

He's not far off. He's fast big strong he's a lot more like wall than you think.

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 902

Post#80 » by EMG518 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:03 am

gambitx777 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Not nearly the athlete John Wall was though. He’s more like a skinny Marcus Smart to me.

He's not far off. He's fast big strong he's a lot more like wall than you think.

He's really not. He is far off from Wall.

Return to NBA Draft