Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham - 2024 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,516

Re: Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham - 2024 NBA Draft 

Post#81 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:05 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:another backcourt went off on the Kentucky guards highlighting the issues they're all going to have staying on the court in the NBA. Sheppard is the smartest defender. Dillingham the quickest. Wagner the overall best. But they'll all be hunted due to their lack of size and length. That's why they shouldn't be considered top 10 or even lottery picks. I don't think NBA teams want to use lottery picks on end of rotation guys.

Tyrese Haliburton and Trae Young are two of the worst defenders in the NBA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,309

Post#82 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:09 pm

we're running out of players we can put in the lotto at this point
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,175

Post#83 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:11 am

Colbinii wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:another backcourt went off on the Kentucky guards highlighting the issues they're all going to have staying on the court in the NBA. Sheppard is the smartest defender. Dillingham the quickest. Wagner the overall best. But they'll all be hunted due to their lack of size and length. That's why they shouldn't be considered top 10 or even lottery picks. I don't think NBA teams want to use lottery picks on end of rotation guys.

But Haliburton is a pure point guard, a great passer, elite shooter and is 6'6". Trae is great passer and scorer and also a true point guard. None of the Kentucky guards are true point guards and all have similar size to Trae. So not only will they have the same issues Trae has on defense, which is preventing the Hawks from ever truly competing for championships, but they're not actual point guards. Thanks for bringing him up, really helps prove my point. Trae should be evidence for anyone thinking any of these Kentucky guards should be top 10 picks.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#84 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:15 am

clyde21 wrote:we're running out of players we can put in the lotto at this point

we? maybe you are. I can easily see a lottery without any of the Kentucky guards in it.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#85 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:22 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
clyde21 wrote:we're running out of players we can put in the lotto at this point

we? maybe you are. I can easily see a lottery without any of the Kentucky guards in it.

whats your lotto?
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:27 am

clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

whats your lotto?

not necessarily in order

Sarr
Risacher
Topic
Castle
Walter
Salaun
Holland
Buzelis
Williams
Filipowski
Carrington
Smith
Collier
Klintman
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,435

Post#87 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:41 pm

Colbinii wrote:

Steph Curry was also not a good defender as a prospect or early in his NBA career. Garland isn't a good defender. Donovan Mitchell is a meh defender, so is Immanuel Quickley, so is Tyrese Maxey. Steve Nash was a bad defender..

Damian Lillard can't defend a stop sign right now..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#88 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm

Sheppard is a good defender, don't let em' fool you.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#89 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:37 pm

Ja Morant is a horrible defender.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#90 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:51 pm

When players have a high offensive upside and ceiling, I'm less worried about their defense. Players like Jalen suggs and Anthony Black needed to have a strong defensive profile because their offensive Upside is more limited than Dillingham and shepherd.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#91 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:12 pm

Reed Sheppard = Payton Pritchard.

Now imagine Pritchard on Hawks instead of Boston where he gets to play on national tv 5x a month.
wemby
Senior
And1: 368

Post#92 » by wemby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:57 am

The problem with Sheppard is that he can't beat people off the dribble or create space, he needs to be set up, and I don't see him as a credible NBA PG with that handicap. I think he's more of a SG, but his lack of size really hurts him in that regard. It's a shame, because his passing , shooting, anticipation, iq, activity are all superb. He should be a good role player for someone in the teens (OKC would be ideal).
Dillingham may not be as good of a defender and shooter, but he's much better with the ball in his hands, and can really create for himself and others. He's too short to be a top 5 pick, but I can see him going top 10 for the right team.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#93 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:38 am

JMAC3 wrote:Reed Sheppard = Payton Pritchard.

Now imagine Pritchard on Hawks instead of Boston where he gets to play on national tv 5x a month.

Huh? They're white guys who are both good shooters. That's about the only similarities.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#94 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:54 am

Hal14 wrote:

Huh? They're white guys who are both good shooters. That's about the only similarities.

Yeah, I am confused.

Sheppard is bigger [larger frame], he has terrific STL and BLK rates, is an excellent defender at the college level, draws free throws at a good rate, and works on the defensive glass.

Pritchard had horrible STL and BLK rates, was not a good defensive player in college, did not draw many fouls, has a small frame, and is horrible on the glass.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Hal14
RealGM

Post#95 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:20 am

wemby wrote:The problem with Sheppard is that he can't beat people off the dribble or create space, he needs to be set up, and I don't see him as a credible NBA PG with that handicap.

He can do those things. He's not elite at them, but he can do them - I've seen it this season in the film.

wemby wrote:The problem with Sheppard is that he can't beat people off the dribble or create space, he needs to be set up, and I don't see him as a credible NBA PG with that handicap. I think he's more of a SG, but his lack of size really hurts him in that regard

I see him as a combo-guard. Probably more of a 2. But can play the 1 here and there - like if the starting PG is on the bench getting a breather or is out that game with an injury or something.

But if he's on the floor with the starting PG, he can be a secondary ball handler.

Sure, his size hurts him a little bit. But I think if Sheppard was like 6'6" (or even 6'5") then he's probably a top 3 pick. At the size he is, he's no. 9 on my board right now. Let's remember that Toronto had one of the best teams in the league a few yrs ago (they were the 2 seed in the East) with a backcourt of Lowry and Vanvleet, with Vanvleet at the 2 (and Vanvleet played the 1, when Lowry was off the floor.

We're seeing more and more teams play 2 ball handlers on the floor at the same time (Harden and Maxey, Harden and Kyrie, Jrue + D-white, haliburton + Nembhard, Ja + Smart, etc.)

I see Sheppard like a slightly shorter Derrick White. White isn't great at beating his man off the dribble or creating space. But he is crafty with the ball, knows how to use angles, read his defender, to be able to get to the basket and create some space every now and then. He's more of a 2 but can play the 1 here and there. Very good defender. White is 6'2". Sheppard is 6'2/6'3 so a little shorter but Sheppard is a better shooter (white has improved his shooting this season but for most of his career was an average at best shooter.

wemby wrote:He should be a good role player for someone in the teens (OKC would be ideal).

Let's not put a "role player" ceiling on Sheppard. We literally have never seen a high major freshman do what he has done this season.
Read on Twitter

And fwiw, I wouldn't say OKC would be ideal. They have too many good players already (especially too many guards) so it would reallu be a logjam if they added Sheppard. Too much overlap with Sheppard and Cason Wallace too, imo.

wemby wrote:Dillingham too short to be a top 5 pick

Dillingam is listed at 6'3" but looks more like 6'2" on film. We won't see official measurements till the combine. But here are some guys in the league right now who are 6'2" or under who would go top 5 if they were in this draft class:

Scoot
Trae
Garland
Kyrie
Ja
Lillard
Rondo
Maxey
Vanvleet
Lowry
CP3

Am I saying Rob is as good as all of them? No. I'm just saying that "he's too short to go top 5" is weak logic, imo..especially in a draft class this weak..
wemby
Senior
And1: 368

Post#96 » by wemby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:44 am

Hal14 wrote:I see Sheppard like a slightly shorter Derrick White. White isn't great at beating his man off the dribble or creating space. But he is crafty with the ball, knows how to use angles, read his defender, to be able to get to the basket and create some space every now and then. He's more of a 2 but can play the 1 here and there

I prefer to go by games rather than highlights and for instance in the Kentucky - Texas A&M game last weekend whenever his team needed it in the last minutes of regulation or overtime, he wasn't able to get anything done, whenever he got the ball he couldn't get his shot off or get to the basket and the offense felt stagnant. That's not going to be easier at the NBA level, with much better athletes.
Hal14 wrote:Very good defender. White is 6'2". Sheppard is 6'2/6'3 so a little shorter but Sheppard is a better shooter (white has improved his shooting this season but for most of his career was an average at best shooter.

Derrick White measured at the combine at 6' 3.25'' without shoes, with a 6' 7.5'' wingspan. I'd be SHOCKED if Sheppard comes back with those measurements, and his wingspan looks quite shorter than that. Also he's very engaged in defense, his feet are quick and stays in front of his man, and he's very, very smart, but he doesn't seem to have NBA level athleticism, defending at the College level is not the same.
I think comparing him to Derrick White is quite a reach. He won't be a liability, but I don't see All NBA defense in his future. Also White is a much better ball handler than Sheppard, he's not a slasher but he's much better at creating for others. On the other hand, Sheppard is LIGHT YEARS ahead of White as a shooter. Overall there are similarities, but also quite a bit of differences. If I thought Sheppard could get to Derrick White level, sure, I'd take him top 5 even. But I don't.
Hal14 wrote:
wemby wrote:He should be a good role player for someone in the teens (OKC would be ideal).

Let's not put a "role player" ceiling on Sheppard. We literally have never seen a high major freshman do what he has done this season.
Read on Twitter

Why shouldn't I be able to speak my mind? Being a role player isn't an insult, there are great ones in every great team, not everyone is meant to be a star. That's what I think he is ultimately, you're free to disagree.
Hal14 wrote:And fwiw, I wouldn't say OKC would be ideal. They have too many good players already (especially too many guards) so it would reallu be a logjam if they added Sheppard. Too much overlap with Sheppard and Cason Wallace too, imo.]

There may be similarities in their skill sets, but I think they're perfectly compatible, those 2 are smart guys who play their asses off and can pass and shoot, there's room for both in the same team no question. Him at the late lottery for a contending team would be a very good fit IMO.
Hal14 wrote:Dillingam is listed at 6'3" but looks more like 6'2" on film. We won't see official measurements till the combine. But here are some guys in the league right now who are 6'2" or under who would go top 5 if they were in this draft class:

Scoot
Trae
Garland
Kyrie
Ja
Lillard
Rondo
Maxey
Vanvleet
Lowry
CP3

Most of those don't seem to be good comparisons to Dillingham in terms of height, length, athleticism and strength.
Van Fleet and Lowry are MUCH stronge, Scoot's wingspan is 6'9" plus he's very strong, Rondo had freakish wingspan, Ja is a freak athlete and superior talent. CP3, Kyrie, Trae, Lillard, Maxey and Garland are incredible talents that overcome their limitations by being elite at what they do well, are you claiming Dillingham is at that level? If he is, no one would hesitate to pick him, but the fact of the matter is that he's guaranteed to be a small and lanky PG with limited defense, while there are no guarantees he'll be able to translate his virtues at the next level. I would still take him around 10 or so, but I think it's quite a stretch to put him in that group, or to say that just because those ELITE guys have similar height (not wingspan or size) then if they could succeed then Dillingham would be a worthwhile top 5 pick. Those are the absolute best guards at that size, the vast majority doesn't make it and I see no reason to take for granted he will.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#97 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:57 am

it's still a wait and see for me when it comes to Sheppard, but at some point you can't argue against production especially for a FS.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#98 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:47 am

Hal14 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Steph Curry was also not a good defender as a prospect or early in his NBA career. Garland isn't a good defender. Donovan Mitchell is a meh defender, so is Immanuel Quickley, so is Tyrese Maxey. Steve Nash was a bad defender..

Damian Lillard can't defend a stop sign right now..

why are you listing a bunch of outliers that none of the Kentucky guards have a shot at being as good as? Just because they're supposedly not great defenders? If these guys were nearly as good as you are all saying you wouldn't think this draft class is weak. It's not like I think they're bums they're just too small or flawed to be starters in the NBA. Maybe they'll get opportunities if the right team comes along that can withstand their limitations but it's a tall order. That's why I've got them going after the lottery. If Dillingham was 6'3" and 20 lbs heavier or Sheppard was 6'5" and longer they'd be vying for #1 overall. But you can do that with every prospect.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:56 am

Colbinii wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Yeah, I am confused.

Sheppard is bigger [larger frame], he has terrific STL and BLK rates, is an excellent defender at the college level, draws free throws at a good rate, and works on the defensive glass.

Pritchard had horrible STL and BLK rates, was not a good defensive player in college, did not draw many fouls, has a small frame, and is horrible on the glass.

Pritchard had more defensive rebounds and shot almost twice as many FTs. Sheppard also does not have a much bigger frame (if at all) Sheppard's defense is being overrated. He is the better defender in college but he is also surrounded by better teammates allowing him to gamble more which has allowed him to average .7 more steals than Pritchard who was no slouch at 1.8 spg.

Pritchard is an actual point guard though so it kinda evens out. It's not a bad comparison tbh. Prospect for prospect. I'd give the edge to Sheppard because he's doing it as a freshmen whereas Pritchard took a couple of years. Pritchard could probably start in the NBA but he hasn't with him being on a loaded team so he's an end of rotation piece. Same will probably happen to Sheppard.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 am

Hal14 wrote:
wemby wrote:The problem with Sheppard is that he can't beat people off the dribble or create space, he needs to be set up, and I don't see him as a credible NBA PG with that handicap.

He can do those things. He's not elite at them, but he can do them - I've seen it this season in the film.

wemby wrote:The problem with Sheppard is that he can't beat people off the dribble or create space, he needs to be set up, and I don't see him as a credible NBA PG with that handicap. I think he's more of a SG, but his lack of size really hurts him in that regard

I see him as a combo-guard. Probably more of a 2. But can play the 1 here and there - like if the starting PG is on the bench getting a breather or is out that game with an injury or something.

But if he's on the floor with the starting PG, he can be a secondary ball handler.

Sure, his size hurts him a little bit. But I think if Sheppard was like 6'6" (or even 6'5") then he's probably a top 3 pick. At the size he is, he's no. 9 on my board right now. Let's remember that Toronto had one of the best teams in the league a few yrs ago (they were the 2 seed in the East) with a backcourt of Lowry and Vanvleet, with Vanvleet at the 2 (and Vanvleet played the 1, when Lowry was off the floor.

We're seeing more and more teams play 2 ball handlers on the floor at the same time (Harden and Maxey, Harden and Kyrie, Jrue + D-white, haliburton + Nembhard, Ja + Smart, etc.)

I see Sheppard like a slightly shorter Derrick White. White isn't great at beating his man off the dribble or creating space. But he is crafty with the ball, knows how to use angles, read his defender, to be able to get to the basket and create some space every now and then. He's more of a 2 but can play the 1 here and there. Very good defender. White is 6'2". Sheppard is 6'2/6'3 so a little shorter but Sheppard is a better shooter (white has improved his shooting this season but for most of his career was an average at best shooter.

Read on Twitter

And fwiw, I wouldn't say OKC would be ideal. They have too many good players already (especially too many guards) so it would reallu be a logjam if they added Sheppard. Too much overlap with Sheppard and Cason Wallace too, imo.

wemby wrote:Dillingham too short to be a top 5 pick

Dillingam is listed at 6'3" but looks more like 6'2" on film. We won't see official measurements till the combine. But here are some guys in the league right now who are 6'2" or under who would go top 5 if they were in this draft class:

Scoot
Trae
Garland
Kyrie
Ja
Lillard
Rondo
Maxey
Vanvleet
Lowry
CP3

Am I saying Rob is as good as all of them? No. I'm just saying that "he's too short to go top 5" is weak logic, imo..especially in a draft class this weak..

Derrick White is close to 6'4" so he not only has nearly two inches of height on Sheppard he's also longer and a better athlete. It's his defense that has allowed him to carve out a career. Even he has had trouble until recently while playing with one of the best teams in basketball, playing in the role you envision for Sheppard.

Lowry and VanVleet are very good points when discussing heights and prospects. While they've both enjoyed tremendous success, I think it's fair to say they've been on loaded teams and their size has been a detriment. They're the outlier examples of shorter, non-athletes that provide hope for guys like Sheppard though

Watch any Kentucky game and you can see Wagner, Dillingham and Sheppard on the court standing side by side and I've also provided team photos in the past with all three in the picture. Wagner and Sheppard are the same height. Dillingham is an inch shorter. My guess is based on everyone else in the photo, Wagner and Sheppard have to be 6'2" making Dillingham 6'1". But again, it's not just about height. It's the lack of length, quickness, handle, athleticism, etc that separates the Kentucky guards from all the players (besides VanVleet and Lowry)

Return to NBA Draft