Wesley Johnson vs Thaddeus Young

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

philly262
Bench Warmer
And1: 41

Wesley Johnson vs Thaddeus Young 

Post#1 » by philly262 » Mon May 3, 2010 5:26 pm

I was having a discussion on another board about Wesley Johnson, and I was comparing him to Thaddeus Young.

What, if anything makes Wesley Johnson a better prospect than Thaddeus Young.

Thaddeus Young is younger than Wesley Johnson, and has proven that he can play in the NBA, also Thaddeus Young put up very similar numbers to Johnson, as a college freshman, while Johnson is putting them up as a junior.

Besides being a much better rebounder than Thad, what makes Wesley Johnson a better prospect than Thaddeus Young.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Re: Wesley Johnson vs Thaddeus Young 

Post#2 » by ponder276 » Mon May 3, 2010 6:59 pm

He's a much better shooter than Thad was in college, and generally looks more comfortable away from the basket. Thad managed to hit a decent number of 3s in the NCAA, but always looked best in the post, Johnson has a great stroke and should easily be a shooting threat from day 1 in the NBA.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#3 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon May 3, 2010 9:06 pm

I think Johnson is going to be a very good shooter.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#4 » by Joel Embust » Mon May 3, 2010 11:43 pm

Wes Johnson reminds me a bit of Granger minus the creating. Long, athletic, versatile, good shooter, ability to defend multiple positions, rebounder, good at contesting shots etc.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#5 » by Cammo101 » Mon May 3, 2010 11:53 pm

Aminu reminds me a lot more of Young than Johnson does. Young is a combo forward who plays SF with a PF mentality. Johnson is more of a true wing.
ponder276
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ponder276 » Tue May 4, 2010 1:24 am

Eleqtrique wrote:Wes Johnson reminds me a bit of Granger minus the creating. Long, athletic, versatile, good shooter, ability to defend multiple positions, rebounder, good at contesting shots etc.

I highly doubt he'll be as good as Granger, but that's probably his absolute upside. I see him as more of a JRich with better d.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#7 » by Esohny » Tue May 4, 2010 2:00 am

ponder276 wrote:
Eleqtrique wrote:Wes Johnson reminds me a bit of Granger minus the creating. Long, athletic, versatile, good shooter, ability to defend multiple positions, rebounder, good at contesting shots etc.

I highly doubt he'll be as good as Granger, but that's probably his absolute upside. I see him as more of a JRich with better d.

Johnson needs to improve his handle, but a rich man's J-Rich isn't a bad suggestion for his upside (and would be a darn nice player). Luckily, Johnson doesn't seem to be a knucklehead.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#8 » by longfellow44 » Tue May 4, 2010 5:04 am

Wes Johnson is the Wing version of Shawn Marion but with better range.
Young is a pretty nice young player but he's a PF/SF and plays much more in the post and as a slasher, that's a great thing but I think Johnson and Young approach the game with totally different mentalities. Young wants to make his way to the bucket and finish. Johnson wants to catch the ball on the perimeter and make a decision at that point as to weather to shoot or drive.

as said Young=Aminu
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,512

Post#9 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 7, 2010 3:33 am

I don't really see the comparisons either.... Most of you have pointed out their differences.
As for the question itself. It's argumentative that Johnson is a better prospect than Young but I personally give him a slight edge on Young. He's a better shooter, a better defender, and a better basketball player. Young is the better athlete I think and Young is the better overall scorer I think.
At the best I like the Shawn Marion comparison and at the very worst I think Johnson can be Tracy Murray if any of you remember him.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#10 » by Fred Williamson » Fri May 7, 2010 11:35 am

Granger can't create for others.

Well, actually we don't really know because he's chucking 3's like there's no tomorrow.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#11 » by ManualRam » Fri May 7, 2010 3:37 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I don't really see the comparisons either.... Most of you have pointed out their differences.
As for the question itself. It's argumentative that Johnson is a better prospect than Young but I personally give him a slight edge on Young. He's a better shooter, a better defender, and a better basketball player. Young is the better athlete I think and Young is the better overall scorer I think.
At the best I like the Shawn Marion comparison and at the very worst I think Johnson can be Tracy Murray if any of you remember him.

tracy murray was a terrible wing athlete and couldnt really do anything other shoot.

young's a fair comparison
SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Post#12 » by SJSF » Fri May 7, 2010 7:01 pm

I would be happy with a WJ and then we can have a real SF for the next 10 years. Trade Iggy and Thad for a real SG. Along with a Jrue and WJ this team would have a nice future.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#13 » by mattg » Fri May 7, 2010 7:42 pm

Fred Williamson wrote:

Well, actually we don't really know because he's chucking 3's like there's no tomorrow.

i thought he meant create his own shot. Johnson can't dribble at all and therefore is going to have a tough time scoring on anything that isn't assisted or a very simple move. One or two dribbles in a straight line attack to the rim, cuts to the basket/transition finishes/spot ups will be how he scores. Reminds me of a mix between Rasual Butler/Travis Outlaw.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,512

Post#14 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 8, 2010 3:57 pm

No, sorry Young and Wes Johnson do not compare to eachother other than their height with shoes on. Their games are totally different in my opinion.
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#15 » by F-Stop » Sun May 9, 2010 6:50 pm

People seem to forget that what you saw with Wes was a guy who didn't play Man to Man D for the last 2 years of his college career. 3 if you count the transfer year. What happens when he has to use his energy on defense chasing guys around and his legs go. You can't assume with the amount of energy needed to go from zone to man to man that it will not affect Johnsons game.

Between that and him about to enter his physical prime as a rookie I can't see him doing all that well.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Thu May 13, 2010 7:05 pm

F-Stop wrote:People seem to forget that what you saw with Wes was a guy who didn't play Man to Man D for the last 2 years of his college career. 3 if you count the transfer year. What happens when he has to use his energy on defense chasing guys around and his legs go. You can't assume with the amount of energy needed to go from zone to man to man that it will not affect Johnsons game.

That's a big reach, imo. Everyone with his kind of athleticism can adjust to man to man. And there is plenty of zone defense going on in the NBA. Hell, even when it was illegal, teams played zone defenses.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#17 » by F-Stop » Thu May 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I agree that he has the Athleticism for it however if you haven't done it in a while and it coincides with your offensive uptick playing NBA level D may take away from said uptick.
NBA does play Zone but Syracuse is a 2-3 zone only school. Nobody plays exclusive zone in the NBA. Working hard on defense will take away from your offense.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
ponder276
Head Coach

Post#18 » by ponder276 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 pm

F-Stop wrote:I agree that he has the Athleticism for it however if you haven't done it in a while and it coincides with your offensive uptick playing NBA level D may take away from said uptick.
NBA does play Zone but Syracuse is a 2-3 zone only school. Nobody plays exclusive zone in the NBA. Working hard on defense will take away from your offense.

In the NBA the energy he puts into d will have to go up, but the energy he puts into offense will go down, as he projects to more of a role player, 3rd or 4th option kind of player, while at Syracuse he's the 1st option. Doubt his conditioning will be a problem, he seems to be in excellent shape.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#19 » by Krapinsky » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Fred Williamson wrote:

Granger has a pretty good pull up J though, which makes a pretty big difference.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#20 » by _BBIB_ » Mon May 17, 2010 2:35 am

I'll take Wesley Johnson to replace Joe Johnson. ANyway we can sign and trade?
Shaheen wrote:You wanna make a sig bet that Horford will not win this year? They will not even hit .500. Book it.
:lol:

Return to NBA Draft