Is Jordan Williams good enough to get drafted?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

John Alves
Ballboy
And1: 0

Is Jordan Williams good enough to get drafted? 

Post#1 » by John Alves » Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm wondering if you think Jordan Williams from Maryland is good enough to make it to the NBA. He wasn't a big time recruit coming out of high school, but he seems to be playing well. I'm not sure about his draft status. He has a good height at 6'10 and a strong build which would make him more equipped for the NBA.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Is Jordan Williams good enough to get drafted? 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2010 10:36 pm

And great hands. Thing is - he's not the above the rim type player that the scouts get attracted to. He also NEEDS to improve his foul shooting and show he can hit the 15 foot J with some consistency. He's a sophomore, and I expect he'll stay at MD for at least his junior year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#3 » by teamjosh04 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 10:38 pm

Wouldnt say his strong build makes him more equipped for the NBA. In college, he uses that to get great position and make up for his lack of game outside the paint. in the NBA, he wont get away with that.

As a Maryland fan, I think he's a better version of Lonny Baxter. i have a hard time seeing him leave this year, if he does he'd probably go in the second round and would be extremely lucky to stick on a roster.

He got in better condition this offseason and now can run the floor OK. If in the next few years he can continue to get into better shape to help his explosiveness, his stock goes up. He is basically a below the rim post player right now. In todays NBA, the market isnt dying for guys like him.

Foul trouble and FT shooting should also be points of emphasis.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 2, 2010 7:13 pm

Btw, watching him last night against PSU, the weight loss has really helped him. He's much faster running the court and finishes very well on the break for a big who's not uber athletic. If MD had any kind of outside shooting threat to stretch the D, he'd be scoring over 20 a game. The excellent hands and body control with sturdy frame combined with good all-around skills and rebounding and aggression will pretty much guarantee he gets a roster spot in the NBA. I see him as a solid backup C for a decade.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#5 » by Halcyon » Thu Dec 2, 2010 10:22 pm

He needs to continue working on those free throws, he has a very soft touch but isn't consistent with it yet. He also should polish up his footwork a bit, he gets a lot of baskets right now due to his ability to position himself right under the basket, which will be difficult to do as easily on the next level. He does have elite hands and has good rebounding instincts though, I think that can translate pretty well. And he definitely needs to continue with his conditioning, he took a big step from his freshman year, but he can do even better I think.

I think overall he'll grade out to an NBA prospect, but he should stay at least to his junior year. Selfishly I hope he stays until his Senior year, but we'll see.
NBAfan5
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#6 » by NBAfan5 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:36 am

definitely a prospect. needs to work on freethrows though.
D-Dobbs
UMass Basketball Team Manager

Return to NBA Draft