Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#181 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 1, 2011 2:47 pm

Danny Granger, once he fills out a bit more.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#182 » by Jazzfan12 » Fri Apr 1, 2011 2:51 pm

MarJJMar wrote:So?

Joe Johnson was never very explosive either.

Barnes is going to be a very good player, he could become an elite shooter and the rest of his game has a good foundation to develop leaps and bounds.

Well, because he doesn't play like Joe Johnson at all.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#183 » by RipCity71252 » Fri Apr 1, 2011 6:06 pm

nate33 wrote:Danny Granger, once he fills out a bit more.

Barnes already looks a bit bulkier and stronger to me. Danny is narrowly framed and pretty skinny.

Rich man's Martell Webster is what I'm going with. They have the same style of game. Shoot a ton of the threes and and 1-2 dribble pull ups but don't have the quicks or handle to get to the rim consistently. Both have been described as having heavy feet (Webster probably a bit more so) and are only average athletes at best. Barnes may be a tad bigger though (Martell is 6' 7".5 with and 8' 10" standing reach).

I think Barnes has bit more offensive potential with having a higher release point on all his shots (Webster tends to play a bit hunched over and compactly, not really using his solid length effectively). Should be able to develop a decent post game unlike Martell, while also being a more consistent finisher around the rim. He has also shown a bit better rebounding potential and decision making on the floor.
ThreeYearPlan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#184 » by ThreeYearPlan » Fri Apr 1, 2011 7:20 pm

Why are people comparing Barnes with guys like Joe Johnson and Pierce? It's true that those guys aren't good athletes but they compensate it with good handles to where both can play minutes at the point guard position, Barnes' handles probably couldn't even fly at the 2 guard position. Wing players with below average athleticism and below average handles usually don't even become all-stars
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#185 » by Charsace » Fri Apr 1, 2011 7:36 pm

MarJJMar wrote:So?

Joe Johnson was never very explosive either.

Barnes is going to be a very good player, he could become an elite shooter and the rest of his game has a good foundation to develop leaps and bounds.

Joe Johnson is very athletic. He's like 6'8 and 240lbs and is far from slow. Doesn't jump out the gym, but that doesn't mean he isn't a great athlete.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#186 » by Golabki » Fri Apr 1, 2011 7:47 pm

I haven't really seen Barnes do anything all that impressive this year. There are maybe 10 other freshman SFs that have made similar contributions to good teams. I don't really see why Barnes is projected as a mid-to-high lotto pick.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#187 » by Reignman » Fri Apr 1, 2011 7:56 pm

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Why are people comparing Barnes with guys like Joe Johnson and Pierce? It's true that those guys aren't good athletes but they compensate it with good handles to where both can play minutes at the point guard position, Barnes' handles probably couldn't even fly at the 2 guard position. Wing players with below average athleticism and below average handles usually don't even become all-stars

Pierce has a so-so handle, what he uses is footwork.

And what do you mean by "Barnes' handles probably couldn't even fly at the 2 guard position"? SGs usually have tighter handles than SFs.

Also, what do you mean by "below average athleticism"? Barnes has above average athleticism, he's just not elite in that category.

Honest question, do you really know what you're talking about?
BIG FURB
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#188 » by BIG FURB » Sat Apr 2, 2011 1:54 am

In what world is Barnes a below average athlete?
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:25 am

BIG FURB wrote:In what world is Barnes a below average athlete?

In a world where can't dunk off of perfect, uncontested alleyoops.
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Post#190 » by bigballa3jj » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:32 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYLvo7ik5js[/youtube]
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#191 » by babyjax13 » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:32 am

BIG FURB wrote:In what world is Barnes a below average athlete?

I think he's a good athlete, he just isn't going to outrun a lot of players (but he's incredibly strong for a wing). Part of it may also be his ball handling that makes him appear to have a slow first step.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BIG FURB
Sixth Man

Harrison Barnes 

Post#192 » by BIG FURB » Sat Apr 2, 2011 12:25 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:
In a world where can't dunk off of perfect, uncontested alleyoops.

So he doesn't complete one alleyoop and suddenly he's a below average athlete? GTFO man. A guy like Jared Dudley is IMO a below average athlete, barnes is a good athlete, just not an elite one.

And elite athleticism guarantees you nothing in the league. We've seen more than a few athletic freaks over the years get drafted and not do squat in the league. Barnes has proven himself to be a skilled player with decent athleticism and room to grow as a player. And the intangibles are through the roof. He's a proven go to player in crunch time that stays calm and poised in pressure situations, he's a natural leader and he's coachable.

I'll take the kid who can rally his team around him and isn't afraid to take and make the big shot over the guy with the quick first step that can jump out the gym any day
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#193 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Apr 2, 2011 1:01 pm

No, that's just an example. He always has an extremely difficult time finishing around the rim and has to do weird finishers from a few feet out to compensate, he's not explosive at all.
BIG FURB
Sixth Man

Post#194 » by BIG FURB » Sat Apr 2, 2011 2:09 pm

Who cares if he's "explosive" or not, look at the boy's game
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI3cDCcuOV8[/youtube]

The boy's game is smooooth, at times he looks like a 10 year vet out there
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#195 » by mattg » Sat Apr 2, 2011 2:29 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:No, that's just an example. He always has an extremely difficult time finishing around the rim and has to do weird finishers from a few feet out to compensate, he's not explosive at all.

what about the couple monster dunks he's had this year then? Specifically the one against Clemson? What is that, luck?
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#196 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:17 pm

The exceptions. Boozer has thrown done several monster dunks in his career, but he can't really jump consistently and is constantly blocked and has to do fancy layups to finish around the rim. It's the same thing for Barnes, he can barely get up most of the time and has to do weird shots to avoid getting blocked.
umopapisdn
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#197 » by umopapisdn » Sat Apr 2, 2011 5:20 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:The exceptions. Boozer has thrown done several monster dunks in his career, but he can't really jump consistently and is constantly blocked and has to do fancy layups to finish around the rim. It's the same thing for Barnes, he can barely get up most of the time and has to do weird shots to avoid getting blocked.

April fools was yesterday bro. Unless you're being serious in which case I can only imagine your amazement at James White not sticking in the NBA.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#198 » by Benjammin » Sat Apr 2, 2011 8:12 pm

This business about Barnes "he can barely get up most of the time" is rather humorous. He may not be a freak athlete but he's athletic enough. In a weak draft him going anywhere 3-5 seems reasonable.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#199 » by erudite23 » Sun Apr 3, 2011 8:38 pm

Benjammin wrote:This business about Barnes "he can barely get up most of the time" is rather humorous. He may not be a freak athlete but he's athletic enough. In a weak draft him going anywhere 3-5 seems reasonable.

There are many types of athleticism. Boozer was a well above average athlete for his position in the NBA--though obviously not elite--and you saw it in his monster throw downs. What Booz lacks is the quick twitch spring. He can elevate as well as all but the very best leapers amongst big men. What he can't do is get up quickly. When allowed to gather himself, Boozer is one of the most "athletic" bigs in the league. But he doesn't get up quickly, and he doesn't generate explosiveness in short areas like an Amare, a Dwight, or a Griffin.

Also, if Barnes is as good a finisher for his position as Carlos is for his, I would be thrilled to have him as a member of the Jazz.

The point is that while Barnes very well may not be J-Rich or Kobe or VC as an athlete, he is as good of one as, say, Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony. Still quite good, and plenty good enough to allow his skills--which are impressive--to take over.

All the Barnes hate is ridiculous. The guy got off to a slow start, but has been his team's go-to guy and one of the best wings in the country over the last two months as a freshman on a squad loaded with other elite talents. The ONLY hesitation I have in drafting him is his propensity to settle for jump shots. I like my high-scoring wings to either have lights-out jump shots or the ability to get to the rack and finish/draw fouls. The very best wings in the NBA do both. I think Barnes has the ability to become a great shooter, but he isn't there right now, and his low FTrate and lack of shots at the hoop are a bit concerning when you're talking about taking a guy in the top 5. But the hate everyone is dishing out is unwarranted in the extreme, imo.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,535

Post#200 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Apr 4, 2011 3:51 am

Apparantley he's going back for his soph year

Damn, that was a lot of words wasted

Return to NBA Draft