Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Perry Jones' value 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Point-God wrote:Players Perry Jones reminds me of at the same age:
1. Rashard Lewis
2. Joe Smith

He might prove in the NBA game to have much more Shawn Kemp in his game than he can show in the congested college game. Perry Jones doesn't look like he can palm a basketball so he'll never look like a dominant finishing/rebounding big man in traffic around the rim IMO.

At that age, Lewis was a great shooter, and Joe Smith was an excellent 6'9 210 lb college center who played with a ton of heart (Yes, I'm an old MD fan.). I don't see the similarities to Jones.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#22 » by Southward1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:35 am

Danny Manning?
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#23 » by tidho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Greek wrote:When is the last time that a guy 6'11 or above played SF with a good success? I cant recall anyone...No way this guy will be an SF, and if he wants to fulfill his potential is time to learn how to reb and bang with big boys inside.

Before Magic Johnson who was the last guy his size to play PG with good success?
Before LeBron James who was the last guy with his size/speed combination to step onto an NBA court?

I'm not getting why tall is being considered a negative attribute for a basketball player. Sure you could run into match up problems every now and then, but everyone does. Are there a bunch of SF's in the league that you don't believe he'll be able to guard (answers should be limited to those that are guardable by anyone, lol)?
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#24 » by Jazzfan12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Perry Jones can't beat centers off the dribble in college, how will he beat SFs off the dribble in the NBA?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#25 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Greek wrote:When is the last time that a guy 6'11 or above played SF with a good success? I cant recall anyone...No way this guy will be an SF, and if he wants to fulfill his potential is time to learn how to reb and bang with big boys inside.

Kevin Garnett played small forward for the first 3-4 years of his career.
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#26 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:47 pm

hmmmm SF's that are 6, 10 or bigger in the nba today....

Durant
Gallinari
Lewis
Odom
Hedo
AK47

off the top of my head, those are the only decent players
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#27 » by Golabki » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Perry Jones did mind bogglingly little in college. He didn't rebound or block shots or get steals, which is hard to explain given his length and athleticism. He was a secondary offensive player on a mediocre college. I don't get why he is still considered a top 5 pick. He seems like a Marvin Williams type bust.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#28 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Andray Blatche is the best NBA comparison that I have come across.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#29 » by baulderdash77 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Golabki wrote:Perry Jones did mind bogglingly little in college. He didn't rebound or block shots or get steals, which is hard to explain given his length and athleticism. He was a secondary offensive player on a mediocre college. I don't get why he is still considered a top 5 pick. He seems like a Marvin Williams type bust.

+1

He should stay for another year in college to work on his game. Right now he isn't very impressive.
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#30 » by Canomad » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:40 am

baulderdash77 wrote:
Golabki wrote:Perry Jones did mind bogglingly little in college. He didn't rebound or block shots or get steals, which is hard to explain given his length and athleticism. He was a secondary offensive player on a mediocre college. I don't get why he is still considered a top 5 pick. He seems like a Marvin Williams type bust.

+1

He should stay for another year in college to work on his game. Right now he isn't very impressive.

i saw it all over him in the mcdonalds all american game. before he even played at baylor. people on this board were going crazy over him, websites rating him high ect...

all i saw was a highly unmotivated athlete with exceptional athletic ability.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#31 » by Baseline Runner » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 am

I don't like being so negative on someone but he's a guaranteed bust IMO.
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#32 » by Canomad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 am

if he pans out ill eat crow and admit im wrong. but this dude has no gas in the tank. he plays with no passion just kinda goes through motions, and hes not even really good at that. i was intrigued by him even though skeptical so i kept an eye on baylor and not once was i impressed with him in the slightest. great measurments and length.....blah blah potential....ect. imo hes a project.

Return to NBA Draft