Marcus Morris is going to be good.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Marcus Morris is going to be good. 

Post#1 » by Hoops Addict » Sun May 1, 2011 8:42 pm

I saw Marcus Morris play several games. He is an ACE.....great 3 pt. shooter. He blocks shots, dunks, can pass....he has the complete game.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marcus-morris

His 3 point shots snap the net.......great shooter for a big guy who can rattle the rim with huge dunks.

He is likely to be a 10 years player and be pretty good.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Re: Marcus Morris is going to be good. 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Sun May 1, 2011 8:56 pm

There's a draft forum for threads like this.
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM
And1: 13,403

Post#3 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Sun May 1, 2011 9:02 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:I saw Marcus Morris play several games. He is an ACE.....great 3 pt. shooter. He blocks shots, dunks, can pass....he has the complete game.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marcus-morris

His 3 point shots snap the net.......great shooter for a big guy who can rattle the rim with huge dunks.

He is likely to be a 10 years player and be pretty good.

Draft forum
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 1, 2011 9:06 pm

Homeless man's house keeper's Melo.

I asked this in the other Marcus Morris thread though, shades of Craig Smith?

More versatile for sure, but none the less, especially in the league?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 1, 2011 11:42 pm

Craig Smith as in, Rhino? I don't see that at all. Actually Morris seems like the anti Craig Smith. Skilled jumpshooting big vs ugly bruiser. Somewhere between Ryan Gomes and a motivated Charlie Villaneuva feels more accurate for Morris...
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 2, 2011 2:04 am

Well that sounds like bankrupt Melo, I feel a little better now! :lol:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 2, 2011 7:32 pm

yea I see that. My biggest problem with Morris is he has a SF's frame, if he was thick like David West I'd be very confident in him as a skilled PF long term. I could see him being a tweener defensively. But I'd be surprised if he isn't an offensive asset in some way and I think he has 17ppg upside at either spot which puts him in the top 8 mix for me. I think he's a really nice fit for Milwaukee or Charlotte who can fit a nice offensive player with defensive question marks.

I think the gap between him and Derrick Williams is sort of overstated. As far as I can tell the difference between them is Williams is 10-20% more explosive. Which might be a big difference, but I have Morris in range of him in terms of their bodies, skill level and fluidity.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Mon May 2, 2011 8:45 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:yea I see that. My biggest problem with Morris is he has a SF's frame, if he was thick like David West I'd be very confident in him as a skilled PF long term. I could see him being a tweener defensively. But I'd be surprised if he isn't an offensive asset in some way and I think he has 17ppg upside at either spot which puts him in the top 8 mix for me. I think he's a really nice fit for Milwaukee or Charlotte who can fit a nice offensive player with defensive question marks.

I think the gap between him and Derrick Williams is sort of overstated. As far as I can tell the difference between them is Williams is 10-20% more explosive. Which might be a big difference, but I have Morris in range of him in terms of their bodies, skill level and fluidity.

I think the problem is more in his lack of length. He is a very skilled forward, but his lack o length is going to confine him to the 3 - and he just doesn't pass the eye test for quickness at the 3. Than again, he's one of those players who understands the game so well and has such a good work ethic that he's just "a player", so he might surprise people.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#9 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 2, 2011 10:08 pm

Meh, maybe Corliss Williamson with a 3 ball.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Hoops Addict » Tue May 3, 2011 2:01 am

Morris has a very good handle, great fakes, a good passer....a great team player that can play the pick and roll......and sink 3's. The league always needs shooters.
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#11 » by x- » Tue May 3, 2011 5:08 pm

Career role player.

Slightly thicker Jeff Green with a better post game and a bit less of a perimiter game.
harithak47
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#12 » by harithak47 » Tue May 3, 2011 8:25 pm

I've watched every Marcus Morris game in his 3 years at KU.
He had a great junior year but I'm just no convinced he's gonna be that great.
He has a small frame, and is a below average defender.
I do like his versatility but he does seem to have an attitude problem.
Frequently throwing bows, and taking cheap shots on other players.
I also don't know how he's going to react to not playing with Markieff.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#13 » by nate33 » Wed May 4, 2011 1:46 pm

He'll probably be a Jeff Green/Al Harrington type of player. A tweener forward who can score, but will have difficulty defending either position.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#14 » by TGW » Wed May 4, 2011 2:00 pm

nate33 wrote:He'll probably be a Jeff Green/Al Harrington type of player. A tweener forward who can score, but will have difficulty defending either position.

These type of players are very important IMO. You may not want them with a super high lotto pick, but they are needed on a championship team. MM seems like a guy who;s going to win a few being that second or third guy.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#15 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed May 4, 2011 2:35 pm

TGW wrote:
nate33 wrote:He'll probably be a Jeff Green/Al Harrington type of player. A tweener forward who can score, but will have difficulty defending either position.

These type of players are very important IMO. You may not want them with a super high lotto pick, but they are needed on a championship team. MM seems like a guy who;s going to win a few being that second or third guy.

Green and Harrington were the 7th or 8th best players on teams that lost in the first round or look like they're going to lose in the second round...
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Hoops Addict » Wed May 4, 2011 8:07 pm

From David Aldredge's article.

He says Marcus will be a very good scorer......and Markeiff is so damn good at rebounding he will play 12 years.

Said a Southwest Division executive: "When they came into college, Marcus was the clear favorite. I think it's more equal now."

"I think both of them have a chance," said a college coach whose team played Kansas this season. "There are character issues with both of them. But the progression they made from their frosh year is prettty remarkable. Obviouwly length will be an issue, especially with Markieff. He's more of a five. Marcus is strictly four."

The 245-pound Markieff Morris "rebounds at such a permanent basis that there's no way he doesn't play for 12 years," said an Eastern Conference executive. "I think he'll be a starting four on a playoff team down the road. I like him better because he has a definite position. He'll rebound well enough ...

"Marcus reminds me of an Al Harrington. He's a better competitor. He's less likely to be a statistical kid. Same hybrid 4-3 game. He will never do work in the post against like-sized fours. He won't be a wing that plays great against like-sized players. But he can put the ball in the basket. He's going to be a big-time scorer. He's a scorer everywhere. He's shown proficiency in scoring in every conceivable way: in isolation, in transition, as a spot-up shooter, in the post, off of cuts."
0502-morris-twins-300.jpg
Some scouts view twins Marcus (left) and Markieff Morris as almost identical talent-wise now, too.
Jamie Squire/Getty Images

But everyone doesn't agree. A Northwest Division man said Marcus Morris doesn't yet shoot the 3-pointer consistenly, and isn't yet a consistent post player. That will be his dilemma, the Northwest man said.

But he added, "Marcus will eventually have that 3-point shot, you can tell. He'll work on it. He won't defend that (four) position very well. He's not long enough. And he won't be able to score enough inside. In the NBA game, will he be able to find the way? He has to develop one of those two things quickly."

Marcus Morris "dominated this level becuase he was bigger than everybody else," the college coach said. "He has a good turnaround over his right shoulder, but can he get it off against the Duncans? But they (both) play hard. They seemed passionate about the game. It depends on who they go to. If one goes to the top 10 they're obviously going into a rebuilding situation."

Return to NBA Draft