Who moves up/down between now and draft night

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Who moves up/down between now and draft night 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Wed May 18, 2011 2:31 am

Who moves up or down in the time between now and the draft? How far up/down? What does your current top 10 look like vs. the top ten prospects by draft night?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Re: Who moves up/down between now and draft night 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 18, 2011 2:36 am

Posted this in Cammo's thread

Obviously it shouldn't be reflected in mocks, but I am almost certain Utah and Toronto will be making a deal if the Jazz like Kemba/Knight at #3. Since Cleveland isn't taking a PG at 4, Utah moves down and gets their guy at 5 with cash savings - something like dropping Raja Bell's contract, swapping Okur for Barbosa, or just getting 3 mil cash, while taking the lesser salary at 5. It's free money, they get the same guy. Tor has a Bosh TPE to make it work and has an invested interest in taking Kanter/Williams over a PG cause we like Bayless

I don't see any way Utah turns down that deal if Kemba or Knight is their guy at 3. It's literally free money/capspace, they get the same guy while dumping Bell's 7.5 mil commitment, maybe squeezing cash out of us and saving 5 mil lifetime on the lesser contract for #5. Same prospect + free money = Jazz are doing it

Only if they prefer Kanter/Williams or if Toronto doesn't want to buck up the cash, which would be complete crap considering all the talk about the Bosh TPE being used at some point. I'm still predicting Utah to just take Williams at 3 after Kanter goes 2 to Min, though
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Wed May 18, 2011 3:07 am

i thought fredette was utah's guy?
if so, they could move down and still get their back court of the future with fredette and maybe burks. i htink they'd complement each other well.
a swap with the kings could be a possibility. the kings would then be in a better position to grab kemba.

t'wolves and cavs could trade, essentially swapping kanter for williams. kanter would have to survive the #3 pick though which i think he would since the jazz have so much invested in al jeff.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#4 » by Future Coach » Wed May 18, 2011 3:11 am

I Imagine the Bulls will likely package their picks to move up in the draft, even if they just move up a little bit. The roster is already rather full and taking on 2 more guaranteed contracts doesn't seem realistic. Or they may just keep one and trade the other for a player + future pick type deal.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 am

ManualRam wrote:i thought fredette was utah's guy?
if so, they could move down and still get their back court of the future with fredette and maybe burks. i htink they'd complement each other well.
a swap with the kings could be a possibility. the kings would then be in a better position to grab kemba.

t'wolves and cavs could trade, essentially swapping kanter for williams. kanter would have to survive the #3 pick though which i think he would since the jazz have so much invested in al jeff.

I think Jimmer will be there at 12

Agree on a Cavs/Wolves trade. Think Cleveland would be interested in Irving/Kanter combo. I could see it going like this 1. Cle - Irving 2. Cle - Kanter 3. Uta - Williams 4. Min - Biyombo

I don't know what Cle would give Min though.
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Point-God » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 am

The Jazz will draft an international player. I will be shocked if they don't.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,726

Post#7 » by Nate505 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 am

Point-God wrote:The Jazz will draft an international player. I will be shocked if they don't.

If Williams drops to them I'll be shocked if they don't take him.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#8 » by carrottop12 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:31 am

Irving
Williams
Kanter
Knight

That is the Jazz board imo.
sunevisions
Pro Prospect
And1: 107

Post#9 » by sunevisions » Wed May 18, 2011 6:12 am

Jazz don't need DW, if he can only play at 4.
We will get Kanter
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#10 » by erudite23 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 am

Really it all comes down to Kanter and what happens with his stock over the next 5 weeks. He seems to have the most upside and also is the best fit next to Derrick Favors. If there is any way, and I mean any way, we can get up to get Irving, we do it. Jazz have a lot of valuable assets--exp contracts, future and current picks, quality productive veterans on palatable deals--to throw at the Cavs if they are interested in listening. We did it for Deron. Don't be surprised if we do it again to get Kyrie.

But if we stay, I think we take Kanter as of right now. There's a decent chance he blows the doors off in workouts and goes 1 or 2, though. If that happens we take Williams or find a way to swap with Minny to get Kyrie.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#11 » by ManualRam » Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 am

so i take it al jeff is not in the jazz' long term plans?
Beas
Pro Prospect
And1: 11

Post#12 » by Beas » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 am

I could see the Twolves & Cavs making a trade. I would like something based around Varejao/#4 for #2/filler. This way the Twolves can pick up Biyombo while also picking up a decent fit in Varejao.
Massimo wrote:There is a saying in German that if somebody wants to rape you off and you can't runaway, simply try to have fun with it. This is exactly what the players have to do. Just enjoy it.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#13 » by GopherIt! » Wed May 18, 2011 8:16 am

Beas wrote:I could see the Twolves & Cavs making a trade. I would like something based around Varejao/#4 for #2/filler. This way the Twolves can pick up Biyombo while also picking up a decent fit in Varejao.

I don't like giving up the best player in trades.

D-Will > varejao
D-Will >> Biyombo

Biyombo would have to seriously wow us with his work out to take this risk.
Kumar
Junior
And1: 197

Post#14 » by Kumar » Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm

No to Varejao. Dude turns 29 before the start of next season and is coming off a serious injury.

By the time the Pups are ready to compete, Varejao will be riding a scooter around - and no, I am not talking about those cool Vespas..
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#15 » by erudite23 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:02 pm

ManualRam wrote:so i take it al jeff is not in the jazz' long term plans?

I don't believe so. The writing is on the wall with Al Jefferson. He's a low-efficiency, high-volume scorer who can't defend on the ball (and struggles to do anything but block shots as a help defender), and whose rebounding has fallen off the map. He's not a player you really win with, imo, and the Jazz have always been very honest with themselves about their players.

I think he's a good stopgap while Derrick is developing, and even moreso if Kanter is the pick, but I can't see us trying to build a team around him. He's just not that type of player. I think we move him to a team like OKC, Toronto, Washington, Charlotte etc who is in need of a post presence. Its hard to determine his value atm, so who knows what we could get. But I don't think it would be a straight up salary dump if we were patient.

No, the Jazz need to shore up their interior defense. The fans and, I believe, management have had enough with the sieve on the interior that we've had since we signed the Boozer/Okur tandem, and I think one of their highest priorities as an organization is building the next Jazz team from the inside out. Of course, we also require a top level PG to run our offense, so that will be a high priority as well. But you could hear it in the way that we talked after acquiring Derrick Favors. We're sick of being soft inside, and I think Kanter has the ability to be a good defender (especially on the ball against the beefier types) and, more importantly, a good fit next to Derrick Favors. He's also the highest upside guy after you get past Kyrie Irving, imo.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#16 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm

I think Kanter falls like Daniel Orton and Gerald Green did. I think Knight could fall a bit to like 9th overall, I think he has way too much hype right now and will struggle in workouts.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#17 » by ManualRam » Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 pm

i dont get the b.knight hype either.
yeah, he's a great kid with good size, but i wasnt impressed with his athleticism, feel for the game or on court decision making.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#18 » by JamesNaismith » Thu May 19, 2011 2:23 am

Jan Vessely (down)...good athleticism but not much else.
Kawhi Leonard (up)....relative to where he was and I think teams will be a bit leary of some European players
Jonas V (down)....his contract may be an issue for a player that needs a lot of time to develop...seen him as high as 3-4 but I think he'll fall past 6th
Biyombo (up)....someone will gamble on him between 5 - 10 (especially the Pistons but I think Val might end up there.
Donatus (up)....he's going unmentioned everywhere to the point some drafts have him out of the lotto, I think someone in the lotto will use him as a stretch 4
Morris (both...down)....I think the Euro contingent that drops takes their spot which kicks them further down and Thompson will take their place as well.

Return to NBA Draft