Zhou Qi - the next big asian thing

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Re: the next big asian thing 

Post#41 » by sisibilio » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:09 am

EddieJonesFan wrote:When will he start playing for the CBA?

Next season, players under 18 YO are not allowed there.
He just signed a contract with Xinjiang Flying Tigers.

http://www.oneworldsports.com/blogs/zho ... ng-tigers/
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
sisibilio
Head Coach

Re: Zhou Qi - the next big asian thing 

Post#42 » by sisibilio » Mon Jun 9, 2014 1:08 pm

Qi is participating in the Chhina NT training camp. There's a good chance he'll be in the world championship.

http://bbs.hupu.com/9635888.html several gifs
You can watch a game vs Australia here http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C16624/59b56069 ... 56064c9941 doesn't seem to work with Firefox.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#43 » by sisibilio » Mon Jun 9, 2014 11:25 pm

top 10 pick in 2015. Being very conservative.
@MikePradaSBN

cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#44 » by cammac » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 am

He may be very good but most Chinese players are very poor at fundamentals simply because they get very little or no training in middle schools or high schools. Basketball is mostly played on outside courts with zero coaching what Chinese kids get is watching the NBA and everyone wants to be Kobe or Iverson.

Its like a former National coach of soccer team once said how can a country of 1.4 billion people be so bad at a sport.

That said Chinese kids are getting bigger and stronger when I 1st came to China 8 years ago I was a monster 6ft1" and maybe one in 1000 Chinese were taller than me. Now even in my building there are 2 or 3 young men taller than me. Its all about coaching and parents put more emphasis on education rather than sports.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#45 » by ManualRam » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 am

cammac wrote:He may be very good but most Chinese players are very poor at fundamentals simply because they get very little or no training in middle schools or high schools. Basketball is mostly played on outside courts with zero coaching what Chinese kids get is watching the NBA and everyone wants to be Kobe or Iverson.

Its like a former National coach of soccer team once said how can a country of 1.4 billion people be so bad at a sport.

That said Chinese kids are getting bigger and stronger when I 1st came to China 8 years ago I was a monster 6ft1" and maybe one in 1000 Chinese were taller than me. Now even in my building there are 2 or 3 young men taller than me. Its all about coaching and parents put more emphasis on education rather than sports.

i thought kids were identified and funneled into their state sport system at an early age? my understanding is that their failure to produce a number of nba prospects has more to do with the quality and style of coaching as well as how the kids are selected by their sports system. the way they groom prospects is mechanical and archaic, identifying potential basketball players based solely on height, which is one of the reasons why their guards suck. when your guards suck, the quality of the whole game suffers.

i don't think height is an issue either. with that amount of people i'm sure they have a ton of tall athletes.

i think coaching is the main problem there though.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#46 » by cammac » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 am

ManualRam wrote:
cammac wrote:He may be very good but most Chinese players are very poor at fundamentals simply because they get very little or no training in middle schools or high schools. Basketball is mostly played on outside courts with zero coaching what Chinese kids get is watching the NBA and everyone wants to be Kobe or Iverson.

i thought kids were identified and funneled into their state sport system at an early age? my understanding is that their failure to produce a number of nba prospects has more to do with the quality and style of coaching as well as how the kids are selected by their sports system. the way they groom prospects is mechanical and archaic, identifying potential basketball players based solely on height, which is one of the reasons why their guards suck. when your guards suck, the quality of the whole game suffers.

i don't think height is an issue either. with that amount of people i'm sure they have a ton of tall athletes.

While many athletes are funneled into state programs but basketball isn't one of them because they don't have leagues in middle school or high school to ascertain which basketball players excel. Most Northern Chinese are taller than Southern. I live in Shenzhen where the city is a mix of people all over China.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#47 » by sisibilio » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 am

I forgot China didn't finally ask for one of the wild cards and they won't play in the World Cup. :oops:
There's the FIBA Asia cup in july, FIBA Asia Under-18 Champ in august and the Asian Games in september-october.
@MikePradaSBN

sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#48 » by sisibilio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsTYNrK9IM[/youtube]
@MikePradaSBN

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#49 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:40 pm

sisibilio wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsTYNrK9IM[/youtube]

Hmmm, mixed bag indeed

He looks fast and very mobile but not vertically explosive or strong

Good form on shooting

Seemed but bobble the ball around but had control in other parts of video

If his handle could catch up to his size like Kevin Durant's did, he could be a dangerous player in transition

Good shot blocking instincts what are his measurements

Nice pass shows he has at least decent courtvision plus some technical skill

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#50 » by sisibilio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 pm

around 7'2" height with shoes. Wingspan has to be at least 7'2" as well, probably closer to 7'4"-7'5"
He's clearly a PF/C
@MikePradaSBN

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#51 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Very fast, but he's obviously wire thin, I think he'd still be pretty thin even if he filled out given his frame.

It's really going to come down to whether he has the strength/base, especially for grabbing boards. Certainly an interesting prospect giving his fantastic speed and the ability to stretch the floor.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#52 » by NOODLESTYLE » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:34 am

ManualRam wrote:i thought kids were identified and funneled into their state sport system at an early age? my understanding is that their failure to produce a number of nba prospects has more to do with the quality and style of coaching as well as how the kids are selected by their sports system. the way they groom prospects is mechanical and archaic, identifying potential basketball players based solely on height, which is one of the reasons why their guards suck. when your guards suck, the quality of the whole game suffers.

They do go through Sports institutes and get picked up by the junior club teams, not middle school/high school and no AAU like the USA. Height is definitely not an issue, even though people like to make the "Asian short jokes", China usually has one of the tallest teams.

Coaching is a big reason and it's excessive training with long hours of practice. The basketball culture is just different. The guards are a huge problem at even the pro level, with Stephon Marbury stating that the Chinese guards lack creativity. It was most apparent in the recent FIBA Asia Championship, with no veteran Liu Wei. There are some Chinese players currently overseas that either play in US High school or in Spain's Canarias Basketball Academy, so it'll be interesting to see if it's really Chinese development or other issues.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGmdhPwN5fc[/youtube]
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#53 » by Chalk1 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:01 am

Long arms but narrow shoulders; hard to get a good feel for his wingspan.

Fortunately his narrow shoulders don't effect his standing reach.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#54 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 am

Chalk1 wrote:Long arms but narrow shoulders; hard to get a good feel for his wingspan.

Fortunately his narrow shoulders don't effect his standing reach.

It does affect his ability to fill out though.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Re: the next big asian thing 

Post#55 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 am

Mundo wrote:False.

The next big asian star is Wang Zhelin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ3D4bmkNUo[/youtube]

I was more impressed by this clip
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#56 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Mundo wrote:False.

The next big asian star is Wang Zhelin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ3D4bmkNUo[/youtube]

I was more impressed by this clip

Yeah this guy looks nice

Poster of clip, do you know if he plans on declaring anytime soon.

He looks like a possible mid second round pick but his mobility looks nice, his dribble looks good and he looks smooth offensively

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#57 » by sisibilio » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:43 pm

10 days till the Hoop Summit. :nod:
@MikePradaSBN

reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#58 » by reignfire » Wed Apr 1, 2015 8:16 pm

He can be better than Yao!

Hopefully he's agressive at the Hoop Summit.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#59 » by RollingWave » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 am

It's the exact opposite I'd say, most of those guys are very good at fundamentals (as noted that almost all their bigs can shoot a little bit at least. a complete physical anomaly like Yao can even dribble a little bit. ) but lacks the creativity of school yard basketball, this is especially a problem for their guards. the kids playing outside have zero shot at getting in the CBA or anything. those kids are picked up often in early middle school.

It is getting better slowly now that China has been exposed more to the NBA, but it'll still take a while before that's really reflected in the talent they produce.

As for Zhou Qi, his block timing is pretty special. it's clearly not just being tall and relatively athletic. so I have a bit of faith that his game will translate to the NBA. his shot is developing a bit too. that helps. I just hope he can speak English better than Yi Jian Lian did, uggh.

Going to be a bit of a project. but if it's past the first 5 pick or so why the hell not.
The river of time wash away all heroes
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#60 » by RollingWave » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:41 am

http://sports.163.com/16/0309/06/BHMRIAI300051CA1.html

FWIW, some Chinese media says Zhou is dead set on declaring, but what is clear is that he's going to be training state side in the next couple months as the CBA season ended.

His CBA coach says he's physically not ready (granted, he has incentives to not let him leave.) and in the playoffs he ran out of gas and got man handled by Hammid Haddadi. (purely on a strength level Haddadi would be pretty high even in the NBA. if only he could like... move.)

If he declares now it seems more reasonable that a good team draft and stash him for a few years. but it feels like the Chinese league should have incentive for him to go higher in the draft.

So who knows what happens, but this season mostly reaffirm what we knew going in, really great size, very interesting skill level for that size, but not physically developed enough to handle the NBA right now in most likelihood. the problem is that in the last few season we've seen a couple guys with such profile make the transition almost seamlessly (Gobert, Porzingas ) does that start to change team's perception? we'll see. he have to actually declare first.

(I do think if your not in love with this draft , why the hell not roll with someone like Zhou, his ceiling is clearly pretty damn high, we're just mostly worried about his floor at this point. if i'm a team that projects to be good for the next few years, just stash him and hope he pans out. )
The river of time wash away all heroes

Return to NBA Draft