Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Re: Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery? 

Post#61 » by Yunsen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:47 am

He had another perfect shooting night, but was TERRIBLE with turnovers (7 in 20 minutes). I'm not too worried about his rebounding numbers because of how large our front court is. Plus he hasn't had to play many minutes lately since the WCC is pretty bad.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#62 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 am

MalonesElbows wrote:I don't see him lotto worthy. His athleticism is below average, and has fairly short arms. Putting the ball on the floor doesn't mean you are athletic and he'll have the ball ripped from him if he tries that in the NBA. His turnovers are already at 2.2 in 25 minutes, high for a big man. He rebounds about 6 a game, terrible for a 7 footer, a clear indication he doesn't like contact and gets pushed around a lot. Not a fan.

By "about 6 rebounds a game" you meant 7, right? The Olynyk Clinic shot 100% for the second time this season: 5/5 from the field, including 1/1 from 3, 3-3 from ft's. 14 points, 9 rebs, 2 assists and 3 blocks in 20 minutes. As always, I watched every minute of the game and the guy was a man among boys, doing what he wanted, when he wanted.

P.S. Is the reason you don't like him because of his skin color? Be honest.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#63 » by Gilles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 am

You forgot most interesting statistics - 7 TOs in 20 minutes.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#64 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Gilles wrote:You forgot most interesting statistics - 7 TOs in 20 minutes.

Why was that the "most interesting"? Isn't "most Interesting" subjective? I think the fact that he shot 100% from the field and ft line for the second time this season was the most interesting stat.
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#65 » by black bart » Fri Mar 1, 2013 6:23 am

he might be the most talented 7 footer ever not to be drafted in the lottery.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#66 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:02 am

nhh90 wrote:he might be the most talented 7 footer ever not to be drafted in the lottery.

He'll be a lottery pick. Did you watch the BYU game; that thug Tavusi was a punk all game.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#67 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 1, 2013 12:44 pm

Leolovinliberal wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:I don't see him lotto worthy. His athleticism is below average, and has fairly short arms. Putting the ball on the floor doesn't mean you are athletic and he'll have the ball ripped from him if he tries that in the NBA. His turnovers are already at 2.2 in 25 minutes, high for a big man. He rebounds about 6 a game, terrible for a 7 footer, a clear indication he doesn't like contact and gets pushed around a lot. Not a fan.

By "about 6 rebounds a game" you meant 7, right? The Olynyk Clinic shot 100% for the second time this season: 5/5 from the field, including 1/1 from 3, 3-3 from ft's. 14 points, 9 rebs, 2 assists and 3 blocks in 20 minutes. As always, I watched every minute of the game and the guy was a man among boys, doing what he wanted, when he wanted.

P.S. Is the reason you don't like him because of his skin color? Be honest.

Who do you think is the least athletic of Olynyk, Zeller, Plumlee, and Len?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#68 » by 23-7 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 1:26 pm

len, olynyk, Plumee jumps high but stiff, then zeller, if i had to guess

Least to most athletic
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 1, 2013 1:57 pm

Len doesn't have Olynyk's skills, but he's a better and more fluid athlete, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#70 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 4:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:Len doesn't have Olynyk's skills, but he's a better and more fluid athlete, imo.

Len is almost three years younger than Olynyk. I like Olynyk a lot, but he isn't going to develop much more physically from where he is now. Which is pretty good actually, but looking at Len, you can see what just 5% improvement will do for him. I'd say most pro teams will take Len over Olynyk just for his potential. Right now Olynyk is more a more skilled, smarter player than Len. But give Len a year or two more of progress, and you have a good pro center.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#71 » by DirtyDez » Sat Mar 2, 2013 10:28 pm

No way he slips outta the top 10. You rarely find physical big men who can run the floor and shoot 80% from the line.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
black bart
Rookie

Post#72 » by black bart » Sat Mar 2, 2013 11:06 pm

weak draft. And this guy is in mid lottery. Someone has to do some research. There is no way that these stats are such an anomaly. Either there has to be something completely broken about him (his athleticism which he is neither undersized or too slow) or literally something wrong with scouting reports that are putting him this low. I can't see him not being a lottery talent. He is putting the best numbers outside of kevin love and tyler hansborough at the PF/C position. Except he is not undersized and a legit 7 footer.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#73 » by wiff » Fri Mar 8, 2013 10:06 am

Wow I have been coming to Realgm for about 7 years and I don't think I have ever been in this forum.

I live in Spokane and I have watched about 98% of Kelly's college career.

And I think for the most part people have pointed out his +/-'s fairly well. I like him and I think come draft day he will work his way up to the top ten. I say I like him because I didn't like Sacre, Daye or even Morrison as a draft pick. I really try to be objective. Sacre simply wasn't very good but had an NBA body. Daye was skilled but was a bean pole and his attitude stinks, I didn't mind him leaving early. Morrison was awesome in college but you make it to this level and everyone has a 40" vert and arms that go on forever. I doubted if he was going to be able to get the same kind of looks when he was going up against guys his size. For the most part he had like 3" on his opponents in College. Him blowing out his knee really took any wind out of his sails.

Anyway back to Kelly, personally he reminds me of mix between Brook Lopez and Memet Okur. Solid offensively in the post, not a dominating rebounder, but he finds a way to score and can stroke it from 3.

I am being very nit picky here. He rarely (as in like 3 times this year) finishes with his left. He is crazy right hand dominate. Weird thing is he drives left and then comes back to finish with his right hand. I'm not really sure if he can pull that off at this level. He manages to finish that move all the time in college I think mostly because he is just bigger than everyone. This is something the guy can get better at with practice though.

The kid has great hands, and he's an excellent passer. He is also capable of bringing the ball up the floor. I wouldn't recommend him being your primary ball handler obviously but the guy has a very nice handle for his size. One game this year he was at the elbow dribbled the ball through his legs went into a spin cycle and finished at the rim. Not a move I see many C's doing at any level. He is a coaches son, has a very high BBIQ. He was a point guard until he grew 7 inches, then he grew I think 2 or 3 more at Gonzaga. That's why he red shirted last year. He played out on the perimeter his whole life and now Few wanted him to play in the post like a guy who is 7' typically does.

I think you can see by evidence in his body and game the kid has a good work ethic. He has improved both drastically. He's smart he already has his degree.

He is a much better running leaper than a flat footed leaper. Don't get me wrong he isn't Eric Montross flat footed, but on the run he can actually get up fairly well. Flat footed he can still pack it fairly easily but he ain't Dwight.

I think what you see is what you get with Olynyk. He won't be a 10reb a night guy but given starter minutes I think 7 is reachable ala Brook Lopez. The best part of his game though is that he just finds a way to score.

He had early foul trouble against Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma State and came in the second half scored 21pts put the Zags on his back and literally willed them to a win. That's pretty tough to do on the road especially this year when it seems no one can win on the road.

He needs work defensively. Then again what kid doesn't going from college to pro? He isn't really a prolific shot blocker. He's not really instinctively inclined that way (I feel shot blocking is kind of like court vision you are just born with it) but I think he should be able to man his position fairly well. I don't expect him to anchor a defense, I think a guy like Serge Ibaka would be a real compliment to Kelly. Interestingly enough the Thunder have a top ten lottery pick. And they could use some scoring up front.

Kelly is a really interesting prospect. He isn't a spectacular athlete, but you just don't see 7fters who are as skilled as he is.

It's kind of like what are you looking for? A pogo stick shot blocking machine/defensive presence ala Nerlens Noel. Or do you want a guy you can put in the high post run your offense through?

But to answer your question yes I think he has worked himself into a lottery pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 8, 2013 11:55 am

I guess the next question I would ask is - Can you win in the NBA with a very good offensive center who is poor defensively and below average in rebounding?
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#75 » by 23-7 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 4:09 pm

I think he would be fine coming off the bench as an offensive big spark plug. Most of the 6th men of the year candidates are guards and wings. He would be unique because he can provide scoring coming off the bench with size.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#76 » by Golabki » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:I guess the next question I would ask is - Can you win in the NBA with a very good offensive center who is poor defensively and below average in rebounding?

Define "very good". Realistically does anyone really believe Olynyk is going to be a go-to-scorer in the NBA? I don't. At the NBA level I think he's going to a complimentary offensive player at best.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#77 » by Golabki » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:I guess the next question I would ask is - Can you win in the NBA with a very good offensive center who is poor defensively and below average in rebounding?

Define "very good". Realistically does anyone really believe Olynyk is going to be a go-to-scorer in the NBA? I don't. At the NBA level I think he's going to a complimentary offensive player at best.

Poor man's Luc Longley?
black bart
Rookie

Post#78 » by black bart » Fri Mar 8, 2013 7:39 pm

Kelly Olynyk is incredibly underrated. He is fast enough and tall enough to play PF. You really don't need to put him at C at the moment. He would look good on certain teams. Like Houston rockets could use him. I wish he gets the opportunity. At the moment, few nba scouts are high on him which I don't understand. He is incredibly good offensively. And could easily score 14+ on 60 ts% in nba.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#79 » by Golabki » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:34 pm

nhh90 wrote:Kelly Olynyk is incredibly underrated. He is fast enough and tall enough to play PF. You really don't need to put him at C at the moment. He would look good on certain teams. Like Houston rockets could use him. I wish he gets the opportunity. At the moment, few nba scouts are high on him which I don't understand. He is incredibly good offensively. And could easily score 14+ on 60 ts% in nba.

How?

On Houston he'd get used like Patterson, Morris, and M---(something greak sounding). Sit in the corner and wait for a kick-out from Harden/Lin.

How much is that worth if you can't rebound or defend well? If you look at the Morris trade you'll notice it isn't worth much.
Laowai
Analyst
And1: 26

Post#80 » by Laowai » Sat Mar 9, 2013 12:58 am

Last I looked he was the bet player on the the best team in the NCAA.
He will go in the lottey and this years crop isn't good.
Canadian in China

Return to NBA Draft