Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Shabazz napier 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 4, 2014 5:27 pm

I've always compared him to Lou Williams - so I'll stick with that. He's developed better PG skills than I thought he would.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#42 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 4, 2014 6:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:I've always compared him to Lou Williams - so I'll stick with that. He's developed better PG skills than I thought he would.

in terms of what they like to do on the court they're somewhat similar, but the dimensions are off. lou has been able to hold his own vs a lot of 2's throughout his career because, despite being 6'2 or whatever, he has very long arms. lou has the length of a 2. before his injury he was a very explosive athlete as well with a dynamite first step, which enabled him to be a very good slasher capable of finishing around bigs. he's on the mend this season, but he's around a 63% finisher around the rim and was at 68% last yr before he went down. that's really really good finishing ability for a 6'2 guy.

shabazz doesn't have the type of explosiveness or length to be the type of slasher and finisher that lou is. i could see him playing a similar role to what dj augustin (who has been fantastic) is currently playing for the bulls. a high usage 6th man, heavy ball screen, shot-maker from all over the floor. bazz is a better defender though.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#43 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:55 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I've always compared him to Lou Williams - so I'll stick with that. He's developed better PG skills than I thought he would.

in terms of what they like to do on the court they're somewhat similar, but the dimensions are off. lou has been able to hold his own vs a lot of 2's throughout his career because, despite being 6'2 or whatever, he has very long arms. lou has the length of a 2. before his injury he was a very explosive athlete as well with a dynamite first step, which enabled him to be a very good slasher capable of finishing around bigs. he's on the mend this season, but he's around a 63% finisher around the rim and was at 68% last yr before he went down. that's really really good finishing ability for a 6'2 guy.

shabazz doesn't have the type of explosiveness or length to be the type of slasher and finisher that lou is. i could see him playing a similar role to what dj augustin (who has been fantastic) is currently playing for the bulls. a high usage 6th man, heavy ball screen, shot-maker from all over the floor. bazz is a better defender though.

I think he's better than Augustine. I'd like to say a poor man's Isaiah Thomas is a better comparison. Both have a great first step.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#44 » by ManualRam » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:40 am

doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

I think he's better than Augustine. I'd like to say a poor man's Isaiah Thomas is a better comparison. Both have a great first step.

seeing dj play game after game i see nothing wrong with his first step. he's shredding defenses to the tune of 15/5 on 57 TS in 30 minutes with the bulls. if dj was with the bulls at the start of the season, he'd likely be a leading 6th man candidate. he's not just been very productive, but he's carried the bulls' anemic offense on some nights and he's doing it on a team that has played 21 games over .500 since he's been on the team, not some crappy, losing team with no other ball-handlers. if shabazz is better than that, then he's better than a poor man's isaiah thomas.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 10:58 am

ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:in terms of what they like to do on the court they're somewhat similar, but the dimensions are off. lou has been able to hold his own vs a lot of 2's throughout his career because, despite being 6'2 or whatever, he has very long arms. lou has the length of a 2. before his injury he was a very explosive athlete as well with a dynamite first step, which enabled him to be a very good slasher capable of finishing around bigs. he's on the mend this season, but he's around a 63% finisher around the rim and was at 68% last yr before he went down. that's really really good finishing ability for a 6'2 guy.

seeing dj play game after game i see nothing wrong with his first step. he's shredding defenses to the tune of 15/5 on 57 TS in 30 minutes with the bulls. if dj was with the bulls at the start of the season, he'd likely be a leading 6th man candidate. he's not just been very productive, but he's carried the bulls' anemic offense on some nights and he's doing it on a team that has played 21 games over .500 since he's been on the team, not some crappy, losing team with no other ball-handlers. if shabazz is better than that, then he's better than a poor man's isaiah thomas.

Shabazz is more athletic than Augustine and he's more explosive. I watch every Bulls game (even went to a few this year). Augustine is fast, but he isn't explosive. Augustine is also terrible on defense. Isaiah Thomas is great man-on-man, but seems to be too short to make any impact at all.

Shabazz is also more creative with his assists (like Thomas), where Augustine typically passes to the post.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#46 » by BRIGGS » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:00 pm

Shabazz is going top 20. For any fan or website to suggest he is not is just going to find out they are off. Also Jordan Bachinynski is going to be a top 40 pick late 1 early 2 not even in any mocks Deandre Kane Russ Smith as well.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#47 » by karkinos » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:36 pm

BRIGGS wrote:Shabazz is going top 20. For any fan or website to suggest he is not is just going to find out they are off. Also Jordan Bachinynski is going to be a top 40 pick late 1 early 2 not even in any mocks Deandre Kane Russ Smith as well.

quoting for future verification
this will be bumped i promise.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#48 » by ManualRam » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:54 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Shabazz is more athletic than Augustine and he's more explosive. I watch every Bulls game (even went to a few this year). Augustine is fast, but he isn't explosive. Augustine is also terrible on defense. Isaiah Thomas is great man-on-man, but seems to be too short to make any impact at all.

Shabazz is also more creative with his assists (like Thomas), where Augustine typically passes to the post.

i think bazz and augustin are very similar athletically. both smallish, with stronger builds. neither are incredibly quick, not i.thomas quick and neither are explosive, which is why both rely more so on their jump shots (74% of bazz' shots are jumpshots), handle with changes of speed and direction. if bazz was explosive, he'd be good at finishing at the rim, which he's not.

augustin typically passes to the post? passing to the post is a function of system and personnel, not a commentary on a player's passing ability. augustin is a fine playmaker, especially out of PnR and is a more willing distributor than shabazz, who has a tendency to monopolize the ball.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:58 pm

ManualRam wrote:

Lou's probably had the best floater in the game, but I think he developed that while in the NBA. If Napier can improve on that, I like his chances.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:02 pm

ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

i think bazz and augustin very similar athletically. both smallish, with stronger builds. neither are incredibly quick, not i.thomas quick and neither are explosive, which is why both rely more so on their jump shots (74% of bazz' shots are jumpshots), handle with changes of speed and direction. if bazz was explosive, he'd be good at finishing at the rim, which he's not.

augustin typically passes to the post? passing to the post is a function of system and personnel, not a commentary on a player's passing ability. augustin is a fine playmaker, especially out of PnR and is a more willing distributor than shabazz, who has a tendency to monopolize the ball.

Yeah, and the system is the reason Augustine is playing so well. But Augustine isn't as athletic as Shabazz.

I agree that Bazz isn't as quick as Thomas and he isn't a great finisher, but he has an explosive first step -- just not next to the basket. Watch his first step when he starts a drive or steals a pass.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#51 » by ManualRam » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:04 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

i think bazz and augustin very similar athletically. both smallish, with stronger builds. neither are incredibly quick, not i.thomas quick and neither are explosive, which is why both rely more so on their jump shots (74% of bazz' shots are jumpshots), handle with changes of speed and direction. if bazz was explosive, he'd be good at finishing at the rim, which he's not.

Yeah, and the system is the reason Augustine is playing so well. But Augustine isn't as athletic as Shabazz.

I agree that Bazz isn't as quick as Thomas and he isn't a great finisher, but he has an explosive first step -- just not next to the basket. Watch his first step when he starts a drive or steals a pass.

i've seen his first step for 4 yrs. he's more so a tricky handle, change of speed/direction guy than a first step guy.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:08 pm

ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i think bazz and augustin very similar athletically. both smallish, with stronger builds. neither are incredibly quick, not i.thomas quick and neither are explosive, which is why both rely more so on their jump shots (74% of bazz' shots are jumpshots), handle with changes of speed and direction. if bazz was explosive, he'd be good at finishing at the rim, which he's not.

i've seen his first step for 4 yrs. he's more so a tricky handle, change of speed/direction guy than a first step guy.

That was going to be my other comment. He has a good first step, change of direction and nice handles.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#53 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:33 am

Napier wins 2 National Championships (1 as a reserve, the other as 'the guy') in his run with UCONN.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#54 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:40 am

incredible shot-maker from the outside, but he's gonna have to develop a floater/flopping game to be more effective as a driver. still looks like a 6th man to me, but a good one.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#55 » by HornetJail » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:24 am

I see Jason Terry in Shabazz. That is definitely worth a top 20 pick. I just hope he lasts long enough for us to pick him up with Portland's 1st. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anymore.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#56 » by karkinos » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:00 am

^agree
he's totally best suited as an undersized 2
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#57 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:04 am

Who was a better prospect coming out...Shabazz or Trey Burke?
jfuchs91
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#58 » by jfuchs91 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:28 am

I still think people are sleeping on Shabazz's passing ability, court awareness, and basketball IQ. For those reasons, I think he's mislabeled as an undersized 2. His shot making ability is unquestioned.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#59 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 8, 2014 11:52 am

B-Ball Freak wrote:Who was a better prospect coming out...Shabazz or Trey Burke?

for real?

Burke by a landslide.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 12:25 pm

Fischella wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:Who was a better prospect coming out...Shabazz or Trey Burke?

for real?

Burke by a landslide.

Disagree. A lot of people thought Burke was going to be a bust for his lack of athleticism, lack of speed and inability to finish around the rim. No one thought he'd translate to the NBA. And we're not totally sure he is able to yet. Hes had some pretty big games, but he's also had some pretty bad games.

If Napier this year was in the last draft, odds are, he'd be picked before Burke. Which says something about the depth of this draft.

Return to NBA Draft