Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Re: Doug McDermott 

Post#321 » by SJSF » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 am

ManualRam wrote:
SJSF wrote:Doug would be fine if your a playoff team looking for a reserve. But for a team that needs immediate help. Keep looking. He is a 20-30 pick guy. He has already peaked with his game and has no upside.

so he can contribute to a playoff team, but he's not immediate help?
that makes no sense.

Role player 10-15 minutes a night. Bad team needs a starter that can play 30-35 minutes a night. Get it????
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#322 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:54 am

SJSF wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
SJSF wrote:Doug would be fine if your a playoff team looking for a reserve. But for a team that needs immediate help. Keep looking. He is a 20-30 pick guy. He has already peaked with his game and has no upside.

so he can contribute to a playoff team, but he's not immediate help?
that makes no sense.

Role player 10-15 minutes a night. Bad team needs a starter that can play 30-35 minutes a night. Get it????

the way you worded it initially made no sense. a contributor on a playoff team IS immediate help.

plenty of role players are starters. in fact all starting lineups have role players. i'd say it's more difficult to be a contributor on a playoff team, then it is to just be another starter on a bad team as a rookie. playoff contributors actually have to be good and are held to higher standards.
i'm pretty sure a contributor on a playoff team could start for a bad team.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#323 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 am

I wrote a little bit about McDermott and the Babbit comparison http://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/ ... mcdermott/
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#324 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I wrote a little bit about McDermott and the Babbit comparison http://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/ ... mcdermott/

didnt read, but babbitt's another lazy comparison. he had more in common with morrison because of his high iso tendencies in college. that iso ability didn't translate, just like morrison's. doug's not an iso player.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Post#325 » by SJSF » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:42 pm

ManualRam wrote:
SJSF wrote:
ManualRam wrote:so he can contribute to a playoff team, but he's not immediate help?
that makes no sense.

the way you worded it initially made no sense. a contributor on a playoff team IS immediate help.

plenty of role players are starters. in fact all starting lineups have role players. i'd say it's more difficult to be a contributor on a playoff team, then it is to just be another starter on a bad team as a rookie. playoff contributors actually have to be good and are held to higher standards.

Where did see you the word contribute? A reserve or a bench guy maybe 4 deep. A good team will have better players then him. A bad team will need a guy that can shoot the 3 for 20 minutes a game. But he really is a tweener and will have all kind of defensive issues.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#326 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:16 pm

SJSF wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
SJSF wrote:

Where did see you the word contribute? A reserve or a bench guy maybe 4 deep. A good team will have better players then him. A bad team will need a guy that can shoot the 3 for 20 minutes a game. But he really is a tweener and will have all kind of defensive issues.

well you did say a role player getting minutes off the bench. that''s a contributor on a playoff team isn't it?
a bad team needs a guy who can shoot the 3 for 20 min a game? thats it? im sure mcdermott could handle that.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
JrueHK
Senior
And1: 451

Post#327 » by JrueHK » Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:31 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwWxfkTEI0[/youtube]
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#328 » by Baseline Runner » Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:43 am

Anyone that thinks this guy is just a 3 point shooter will look pretty stupid a year from now. He can score all over the court, one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball history. Even people who think he will be a role player, then at worst case he will be a Vinnie Johnson instant offensive type of player off the bench, someone who can score 10-12 points in 20 minutes. But to think of him as just a Kapono or Novak type player is ridiculous for the fifth greatest scorer in the history of college basketball.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#329 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:07 am

Baseline Runner wrote:Anyone that thinks this guy is just a 3 point shooter will look pretty stupid a year from now. He can score all over the court, one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball history. Even people who think he will be a role player, then at worst case he will be a Vinnie Johnson instant offensive type of player off the bench, someone who can score 10-12 points in 20 minutes. But to think of him as just a Kapono or Novak type player is ridiculous.

I really hope a coach that really likes him takes him. I actually hope the 76ers take him. If they take him, he's instantly the #1 scoring option. And that's where he'll play well. And they have the defense around him to cover for his lack of defense.

Well, he'll only be the number one option if a team trusts him that much. But the 76ers are a rebuilding team that doesn't really have a consistent scorer every night. They need someone that can put up big numbers on a nightly basis. McDermott can be that guy.

Another great place for him is the Bulls or the Knicks. Can you imagine a Knicks small-ball line-up with Melo and McDermott on the wings? That team would be almost unstoppable from the three-point line. Maybe even better than Thompson and Curry.

Realistically, he could fit on the Pistons, but I don't think he'd make as much of an impact and would get less minutes.

Could also do good things for the Pacer's bench.

Would be a good alternate for Kidd-Gilchrist on the Bobcats (who can't always score because he can't shoot)

The Heat look like they need more consistent three-point shooters again. He could work there too.

Magic needs some more consistent three-point shooting too.

The Grizzlies need three-point shooters.

The Nuggets could use him if their players don't ever heal. It seems they're always injured.

And the Jazz could be really good for him. Especially if they lose Hayward.

Then he might fit in with the Clippers.

I don't think he'll be productive on any other teams (other than the ones I've mentioned).
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#330 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:19 am

Baseline Runner wrote:But to think of him as just a Kapono or Novak type player is ridiculous for the fifth greatest scorer in the history of college basketball.

You say that as if there isn't a bunch of guys on that list who did absolutely nothing as a pro.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,108

Post#331 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 4:09 pm

By 5th greatest scorer I assume you are talking totals.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#332 » by RSCD3_ » Mon May 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Looks like he kniws what his faults are and seems to be trying to improve his game on those areas. It's interesting that he mentions what he does and he didnt skip over the questions about athleticism, ballhandling and especially defense.

I wonder how much he can improve athletically, and if the "worst defender" ever label might be hyperbole

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZR5YevSxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#333 » by tmorgan » Tue May 27, 2014 6:11 pm

The best part about watching any _oug Mc_ermott highlight video is seeing how ticked off everyone gets that they can't stop him.

I wouldn't want him on my team (not that it matters now, as we have no 1st round pick), but I wish him well. If he can continue with that quick, awkward legs jumper and step-back and score in the League, more power to him. He's definitely going to need some help on his man, though. Yikes.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#334 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:19 pm

People act like McDermott is the next Adam Morrison. At the combine he was right in the middle of the pack for the lane agility and 3/4 court sprint at small forward (tying with T.J. Warren at both), was 5th at max vert @ 36.5" (.5" below KJ McDaniels) and right in the middle at the no-step vert. http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... ll&sort=12

If you compare his results to the average for small forwards measured at the combine, he comes out exactly average in almost every category. http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... s&year=All

Morrison's vertical was 6" lower, and he was much slower at both the lane agility and 3/4 court sprint. McDermott isn't an incredible athlete, but he will be fine at small forward.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#335 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Does anybody else feel like Antawn Jamison is one of the best comparisons? (but not as good for for physical tools reasons)
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#336 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 29, 2014 1:05 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Does anybody else feel like Antawn Jamison is one of the best comparisons? (but not as good for for physical tools reasons)

In terms of having a bunch of tricks up his sleeve, I can kinda see that as a similarity.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,677

Post#337 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat May 31, 2014 3:17 pm

He appears to be a less talented Luke Babbitt. Luke was talented enough to be in lottery pick discussion after only 2 years of college basketball. Doug McDermott hung around for all 4 years and built up his draft stock. Not everyone that was a go to scorer in college can translate into a successful NBA role player. If you anticipate McDermott succeeding as anything other than as an NBA role player then you are not realistic about his game. If he succeeds, he will be a designated shooter just like Steve Novak and Shawne Williams. A tall stiff 3 point shooter is his future.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#338 » by nybluemeadow » Sat May 31, 2014 4:27 pm

The recent or not so recent failures of white american players hasn't helped McDermott's stock, but with his size and skill set, i think he could be as good as Chris Mullin
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#339 » by EricAnderson » Sat May 31, 2014 7:04 pm

nybluemeadow wrote:The recent or not so recent failures of white american players hasn't helped McDermott's stock, but with his size and skill set, i think he could be as good as Chris Mullin

lol you must not realize how good Chris Mullin actually was
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#340 » by Mik317 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:55 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:The recent or not so recent failures of white american players hasn't helped McDermott's stock, but with his size and skill set, i think he could be as good as Chris Mullin

lol you must not realize how good Chris Mullin actually was

he only was HOF.

big deal
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to NBA Draft