RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: D'angelo Russell 

Post#181 » by LloydFree » Wed Feb 4, 2015 6:37 am

MalonesElbows wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:
Absolutely, since I can't find a comparison for him though that makes me concerned. That and the big 10 is pretty weak sauce this year.

If you can't find a comparison for a player because he is completely dusting the standards for his position that's always a good thing.

Marcus wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:since I can't find a comparison for him though that makes me concerned.

why MUST you have a comparison for him? why not just enjoy the kid's game and take him for what he is? either you like what you see on the court or you don't. I don't understand the NEED for comps. some guys are just unique in how they play the game.

No comparison means he would have to be a once in a generation player (like Curry). If you want to deduce that from playing a cupcake big 10, more power to you. Here are the freshman stats of a player that "dusted" Russell's stats and he busted in the NBA. The recurring theme, size and athleticism, mostly did him in. +1 to first person name him.

26.2 PPG
12.4 RPG
1.6 BPG
38.9 PER

Why do you keep comparing 6'7 Power Forwards to a 6'5 Guard? You are undermining you're own argument.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
fuzzy_dunlop
Junior
And1: 109

Post#182 » by fuzzy_dunlop » Wed Feb 4, 2015 8:06 am

The discussion about him being beyond compare is weird to me, because I get a really strong old man Ginobili vibe from the highlights that I've seen. Now certainly even an old Ginobili is longer, but could someone point out other differences?
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#183 » by MellowRose » Wed Feb 4, 2015 12:08 pm

I get a fusion of Curry and Harden in him. His vision and shot (both selection and form) remind me of Curry. His left handedness, stepbacks, and general movement with the ball remind me of Harden. What do you guys think? Of course, best case scenarios...
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#184 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 4, 2015 12:22 pm

fuzzy_dunlop wrote:The discussion about him being beyond compare is weird to me, because I get a really strong old man Ginobili vibe from the highlights that I've seen. Now certainly even an old Ginobili is longer, but could someone point out other differences?

D'angelo has a mid range game, quicker release, doesn't do as many euros as 100% red blooded american floaters and finger rolls, and he has that star mentality.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#185 » by ManualRam » Fri Feb 6, 2015 10:16 pm

russell admitted that he does study and pattern a lot of his game after ginobili. he does have that footwork though. he hasnt had to flash it as much this yr, but that is one thing that i noticed in his game in HS. he was never explosive, but he knew how to maneuver around back line defenders utilizing footwork, as well as how to manipulate them with fakes.

the difference b/t him and manu has been covered pretty much. russell has a quicker release and he's not as quick, explosive. with his release he'll be able to shoot in people's faces more instead of relying on pull/step backs. i also think he has more pull up potential.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#186 » by MalonesElbows » Fri Feb 6, 2015 11:24 pm

LloydFree wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:
E-Balla wrote:If you can't find a comparison for a player because he is completely dusting the standards for his position that's always a good thing.

Marcus wrote:
why MUST you have a comparison for him? why not just enjoy the kid's game and take him for what he is? either you like what you see on the court or you don't. I don't understand the NEED for comps. some guys are just unique in how they play the game.

No comparison means he would have to be a once in a generation player (like Curry). If you want to deduce that from playing a cupcake big 10, more power to you. Here are the freshman stats of a player that "dusted" Russell's stats and he busted in the NBA. The recurring theme, size and athleticism, mostly did him in. +1 to first person name him.

26.2 PPG
12.4 RPG
1.6 BPG
38.9 PER

Why do you keep comparing 6'7 Power Forwards to a 6'5 Guard? You are undermining you're own argument.

The argument is size and athleticism for position. Unless you think Russell's handle is sick enough to play point, then he is very undersized at SG at 6'4", and weight (175). And yes he's 6'4", as we clearly see next to someone of that same height (#1, Jae'sen Tate)

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#187 » by LloydFree » Fri Feb 6, 2015 11:35 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:

26.2 PPG
12.4 RPG
1.6 BPG
38.9 PER

The argument is size and athleticism for position. Unless you think Russell's handle is sick enough to play point, then he is very undersized at SG at 6'4", and weight (175). And yes he's 6'4", as we clearly see next to someone of that same height (#1, Jae'sen Tate)

Yes. Russell does have the ball skills to play point guard. And if for some crazy reason that I havent seen, he somehow can't play PG, he has enough size to be an effective offensive SG. He is no more than a quarter of an inch shorter than James Harden.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
fuzzy_dunlop
Junior
And1: 109

Post#188 » by fuzzy_dunlop » Sat Feb 7, 2015 12:00 am

ManualRam wrote:russell admitted that he does study and pattern a lot of his game after ginobili. he does have that footwork though. he hasnt had to flash it as much this yr, but that is one thing that i noticed in his game in HS. he was never explosive, but he knew how to maneuver around back line defenders utilizing footwork, as well as how to manipulate them with fakes.

the difference b/t him and manu has been covered pretty much. russell has a quicker release and he's not as quick, explosive. with his release he'll be able to shoot in people's faces more instead of relying on pull/step backs. i also think he has more pull up potential.

Appreciate the response. To me the biggest issue with projecting Russell statistically ATM is the small sample size when it comes to his shooting. As someone who has clearly watched him outside the current collegiate setting, do you happen to have information about his shooting in HS (FT% in particular would be terrific)?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#189 » by Marcus » Sat Feb 7, 2015 12:09 am

fuzzy_dunlop wrote:
ManualRam wrote:russell admitted that he does study and pattern a lot of his game after ginobili. he does have that footwork though. he hasnt had to flash it as much this yr, but that is one thing that i noticed in his game in HS. he was never explosive, but he knew how to maneuver around back line defenders utilizing footwork, as well as how to manipulate them with fakes.

Appreciate the response. To me the biggest issue with projecting Russell statistically ATM is the small sample size when it comes to his shooting. As someone who has clearly watched him outside the current collegiate setting, do you happen to have information about his shooting in HS (FT% in particular would be terrific)?

why do you feel the sample size is small? he averages 6 3point attempts a game and hits those at a 45% clip. Didn't see a ton of dude in high school but he was known for being a shooter coming in and as proven that thus far this year. same with someone like Devin Booker. just watch the kid's stroke, his confidence putting it up, and the results from it and that should tell you quite a bit.

I would think the FT% would be higher but at 78% its not exactly lackluster either.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#190 » by ManualRam » Sat Feb 7, 2015 4:09 am

fuzzy_dunlop wrote:

i dont have any numbers but i dont question his shooting ability at all. his technique is good. shoots a pretty, soft ball. has a quick release and he can get off his shot in a variety of ways, from pull ups, to catch and shoot, step backs, a little on the move.
he's a gym rat too. tbh, he's surpassed my expectations as a shooter this yr. i think he's proven to be an even better shooter than i thought he'd be. i thought he'd struggle a little more with shot selection and i wondered how his release would play out because he doesnt have the highest release. he does take some tough shots (but he's made a good percentage of them) and it appears he's cleaned up his shot set up, resulting an even quicker release.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#191 » by MinneOOPalis » Sat Feb 7, 2015 8:07 am

The fact he is 6'4 wouldn't mean anything to meif I were a GM or scout. He obviously has the skills to play both, It just depends what lead guard is already on your team.

Now the real question is, Is he a better prospect than Mudiay??
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#192 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 7, 2015 2:29 pm

MinneOOPalis wrote:The fact he is 6'4 wouldn't mean anything to meif I were a GM or scout. He obviously has the skills to play both, It just depends what lead guard is already on your team.

Now the real question is, Is he a better prospect than Mudiay??

Height and length is not an issue with him. He was measured with a 6'8.5 wingspan in 3 different camps. That's slightly better than Cory Brewer - who most assume is very long.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#193 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:48 am

Russell with a triple double. 23 points. 11 rebounds. 11 assists.
draftbarnes
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#194 » by draftbarnes » Mon Feb 9, 2015 1:14 am

This dude is a beast
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:
Guest202 wrote:Didn't he score 30 two weeks ago on 5 of 10 from three?

you can still have good games in the decline, look at kobe's last game in his career
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#195 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:30 am

I watched highlights of that game where he had the triple-double.....dude looks ready for the NBA game. I'll leave it a that. He's very talented. It looks too easy for him at the college level.
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#196 » by djphan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:59 am

ppl forget that manu ginobilli if he played 30-35 minutes was the best sg not named kobe in his time... he's gonna be in the mix with harden for best sg within a couple of years...
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#197 » by E-Balla » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I watched highlights of that game where he had the triple-double.....dude looks ready for the NBA game. I'll leave it a that. He's very talented. It looks too easy for him at the college level.

Same thing can be said about Jahlil and recently Towns. I just noticed all three of these guys have 30+ PERs in conference play after no freshman playing in a major conference accomplished that last year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#198 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Yeah, Russell has actually improved his stats in conference play. The last 7 games, he's averaged 23 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 turnovers while shooting over 50%.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#199 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:45 pm

He sees the court like a veteran PG.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#200 » by wickedwrister » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:19 pm

As a Sixers fan, all I can say is:

The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie

Return to NBA Draft