UNDER THE RADAR : huge upside, elite athleticism

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

UNDER THE RADAR : huge upside, elite athleticism 

Post#1 » by Dukenukem23 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Both have incredible upside with elite athleticism and length but are projected as 2nd round picks.

Chris walker. Was I eligible to play for the first half of the season and that has really killed his draft stock as coach bully Donavan hasn't given him many minutes because of the success he's had with the team being a #1 seed without him. If walker declares this year and he probably will since he's mentioned countless times he's a one and done player he will be a major steal if he goes in the second round. At 18 yrs old his wingspan was measure at 7' 1.5" and listed at 6' 9". Since then he was listed at Florida at 6' 10". Walker possesses great size for a pF combined with elite level athleticism. He would easily be the fastest most agile big in the NBA.

See scouting videos at this link : http://communitywebline.ca/torontoraptorsbasketball

Thanasis Antentekuonbo was a relatively unknown before his younger brother hit the NBA scene. He plays for the 87ers flea hue select team and has shown major improvement. He is blessed with the big hands, arms and athleticism of Gianna's but is 2" shorter and 2 years younger. What makes up for that is he is far quicker and more explosive than Gianna's and would make an ideal 3&D SF at the next level.

See Thanasis scouting video below:

http://communitywebline.ca/torontoraptorsbasketball
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Re: UNDER THE RADAR : huge upside, elite athleticism 

Post#2 » by Notanoob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Dukenukem23 wrote:Both have incredible upside with elite athleticism and length but are projected as 2nd round picks.

Chris walker. Was I eligible to play for the first half of the season and that has really killed his draft stock as coach bully Donavan hasn't given him many minutes because of the success he's had with the team being a #1 seed without him. If walker declares this year and he probably will since he's mentioned countless times he's a one and done player he will be a major steal if he goes in the second round. At 18 yrs old his wingspan was measure at 7' 1.5" and listed at 6' 9". Since then he was listed at Florida at 6' 10". Walker possesses great size for a pF combined with elite level athleticism. He would easily be the fastest most agile big in the NBA.

See scouting videos at this link : http://communitywebline.ca/torontoraptorsbasketball
Super-raw big with literally no skill or Bball IQ. Doesn't know how to play offense, defense, or really organized basketball. Motor comes and goes. Underweight, clearly not very strong right now. The athleticism is great, but he's nothing right now. He should spend a year in college to up his draft stock so that when he shows nothing in the league he isn't cut immediately. Hype will help keep him on a team. Also, I love how you call him "bully Donoavan".

Dukenukem23 wrote:Thanasis Antentekuonbo was a relatively unknown before his younger brother hit the NBA scene. He plays for the 87ers flea hue select team and has shown major improvement. He is blessed with the big hands, arms and athleticism of Gianna's but is 2" shorter and 2 years younger. What makes up for that is he is far quicker and more explosive than Gianna's and would make an ideal 3&D SF at the next level.

See Thanasis scouting video below:

http://communitywebline.ca/torontoraptorsbasketball

Thanasis is two years OLDER than Giannis, not younger. He's also shooting 30% from 3 on nearly 4 attempts per game in 44 games, where's the 3 part of "3 and D"? His numbers are very unimpressive for a guy his age. If you aren't demolishing everyone in the no-defense D-league, you suck.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:24 pm

yeah its a shame that chris walker sucks at basketball
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Some dudes are going to have a hard time when they realize Chris Walker is a scrub destined to play in China or the dleague.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#5 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Chris Walker should probably stay in school for one more year and learn 2 or 3 post moves, so he can go in the lottery next year and make some money. If he comes out this year he'll probably still get picked in the late 1st round, by a team like OKC, that values length and athleticism.

Personally, I'd rather spend/gamble a mid to late 1st on Chris Walker than a couple of the future NBA 'spot up' shooters I regulay see being projected in the lottery.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#6 » by SlowPaced » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Chris Walker reminds me a lot of C.J. Leslie. Very hyped athlete from high school who eventually became an undrafted guy who couldn't get into the NBA.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#7 » by Greek » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanasis can stick in the league for a while given his brother hype but i dont think that can be a rotational guy as he is now. He is great athlete but not much of a basketball player. Maybe he is a late boomer but as he is right now i am not very optimistic.

Players like him are coming out every year on a dime...
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 pm

SlowPaced wrote:Chris Walker reminds me a lot of C.J. Leslie. Very hyped athlete from high school who eventually became an undrafted guy who couldn't get into the NBA.

i see this one too. walker has slightly better size though. ultimately i think he'd be a tease like leslie was who scouts ultimately soured on the more they get to see him play.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,961

Post#9 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:31 pm

ManualRam wrote:yeah its a shame that chris walker sucks at basketball

remember when people were saying the same **** about Drummond at UCONN
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:36 pm

BBall Loyalty wrote:
ManualRam wrote:yeah its a shame that chris walker sucks at basketball

remember when people were saying the same **** about Drummond at UCONN

guys like like walker and leslie don't have the luxury of being physically dominant while they learn the game of basketball. drummond can still afford to be a bad basketball player while being productive because of his athleticism COMBINED with his sheer size. physically he is unmatched.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#11 » by EMG518 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:56 pm

He should declare, I dont think the college game is for him. Let the team that drafts him focus on his development into a NBA player.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:26 am

Notanoob wrote:Thanasis is two years OLDER than Giannis, not younger. He's also shooting 30% from 3 on nearly 4 attempts per game in 44 games, where's the 3 part of "3 and D"? His numbers are very unimpressive for a guy his age. If you aren't demolishing everyone in the no-defense D-league, you suck.

See this is an assumption I've been thinking about lately.

On the surface it seems like NBA assignees crush the D League because of a talent/ability gap. But does this pass the smell test? Why is the gap between the worst NBA talents and the best non-NBA talents so significant?. In the NBA the difference between the 300th best player and 400th best one is almost non-existent. But D League results would have us think the gap between the 400th best American born player and 500th best one is a massive cliff, to the point where the former Backroom Facials the D League statistically by being in it.

And if the gap between these 100 spots of talent (so to speak) is so big, why was college so competitive and sometimes difficult for NBA talents? Many of these guys got outplayed by now average or worse D League players. In college, the gap between the least talented NBA prospects and most talented non-NBA prospects, felt much more of an even draw most of the time. In college or in international play even when an NBA talent goes against teams without them, we never see anything like the talent gap the D League makes it seem like there is

So it makes me wonder if we're misinterpreting the D League stats a bit. Is what's causing the domination superior ability/talent? Or is what's truly important, how big of an offensive role and leg of chicken the player is given on the D League team, giving him the opportunity the pad his stats? NBA assignees of course, get the most minutes, the most touches and those touches are engineered around their games. After all, we do know that a lot of the high scoring D League stars don't translate to the NBA very well, so perhaps they weren't putting up those stats because they were the most talented D League players. Perhaps a player like Thanasis comes in and there's a bigger risk he plays a quarter and barely touches the ball, or does so in way that's out of his comfort zone.

(And yes, I'm saying this partly because there are 3 prospects in the last 2 drafts in Scott Machado, Kenny Kadji, Jackie Carmichael I'm certain are NBA talents, who aren't dominating the D - which I would explain either by them being players who can't reach tap into their talent level for whatever reason (which could also be connected to them becoming undrafted seniors in the first place), or that their D League performance is not reflective of their NBA ability/potential/if they had been drafted in the 1st round)
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#13 » by Jazzfan12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Or it's because they're not good and you wildly overrated them using a bad system.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Chris Walker probably needs a full four years in college before he can be anything. Three at least.

Thanasis doesn't have as much athleticism as his brother and much like his brother, he needs to learn "skills" on both offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Both are projects. Walker has a higher ceiling, but Thanasis could probably develop sooner.

In this draft, they're probably late first or mid second. I say that because this draft is deep. If anyone is going to take either, they're going to be playoff teams. With the hype around both of them, a team could bite early. Especially since we see how many teams wish they took Giannis Antetokounmpo. Someone might bite early into him.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:49 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Thanasis doesn't have as much athleticism as his brother and much like his brother, he needs to learn "skills" on both offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Both are projects. Walker has a higher ceiling, but Thanasis could probably develop sooner.

In this draft, they're probably late first or mid second. I say that because this draft is deep. If anyone is going to take either, they're going to be playoff teams. With the hype around both of them, a team could bite early. Especially since we see how many teams wish they took Giannis Antetokounmpo. Someone might bite early into him.

thanasis actually looks more athletic than giannis in terms of pure run and jump ability. he just doesn't have the dimensions of giannis, nor does he have the ball-handling ability.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:27 pm

ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

thanasis actually looks more athletic than giannis in terms of pure run and jump ability. he just doesn't have the dimensions of giannis, nor does he have the ball-handling ability.

First of all, that MUST be a joke. Have you seen Giannis play? He's one of the most athletic players ever. He doesn't know how to use it yet, but he's runs down the court in three to four steps and he can jump crazy high. He's literally a freak of nature.

I've seen some Thanasis games and it doesn't compare to what Giannis does. However, it's evident he has a lot of athleticism. Thanasis, right now, is probably Alonzo Gee, but with more upside.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#17 » by ManualRam » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:39 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

First of all, that MUST be a joke. Have you seen Giannis play? He's one of the most athletic players ever. He doesn't know how to use it yet, but he's runs down the court in three to four steps and he can jump crazy high. He's literally a freak of nature.

I've seen some Thanasis games and it doesn't compare to what Giannis does. However, it's evident he has a lot of athleticism. Thanasis, right now, is probably Alonzo Gee, but with more upside.

yes i have, thanasis looks more athletic. that's like the only thing he has over his brother. he's just not 6'10 with the length of giannis.
and no, giannis is not one of the most athletic players ever. he's fluid, coordinated and super long.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:54 pm

ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:thanasis actually looks more athletic than giannis in terms of pure run and jump ability. he just doesn't have the dimensions of giannis, nor does he have the ball-handling ability.

yes i have, thanasis looks more athletic. that's like the only thing he has over his brother. he's just not 6'10 with the length of giannis.
and no, giannis is not one of the most athletic players ever. he's fluid, coordinated and super long.

Well I disagree.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#19 » by Greek » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Giannis can be much better athlete in the way that Durant became. He needs to grow on his body and some muscles. He will be more explosive, and a rear athlete on his height. Calling him as one of the best athletes ever, even for a homer like me its just an absurd statement.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#20 » by brackdan70 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:06 am

I am concerned that Walker is getting like 3 min / game. what gives?
Sign here

Return to NBA Draft