RATING careers of draft prospects

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

RATING careers of draft prospects 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:09 pm

I'm not talking about how each player will play in the first season or first two season; I'm talking about expectations. How do you expect each 2014 draft prospect to perform over the course of their career?

S = Career Superstar
A = Part of career as All-Star
B = Solid Starter
C = Below average starter/Role Player
D = End of the Bench
F = Out of the NBA

These are just off the top of my head. Didn't do too much research to figure out how I really feel about all these players.
Here is mine:
Andrew Wiggins (S)
Jabari Parker (S)
Joel Embiid (S)
Dante Exum (S)
Julius Randle (A)
Aaron Gordon (A)
Noah Vonleh (A)
Zach LaVine (A)
Cleanthany Early (A)
KJ McDaniels (A)
Kyle Anderson (A)
Shabazz Napier (B)
Dario Saric (B)
PJ Hairston (B)
Doug McDermott (B)
Clint Capela (B)
Tyler Ennis (B)
Jerami Grant (B)
Nik Stauskas (B)
Adrian Payne (B)
Rodney Hood (B)
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (B)
James Young (C)
Marcus Smart (C)
Gary Harris (C)
TJ Warren (C)
Jusuf Nurkic (C)
Jarnell Stokes (C)
Glenn Robinson III (C)
Elfrid Payton (C)

What are some players you'd rank? What players would you rank higher or lower in my list?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: RATING careers of draft prospects 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 pm

so you have 11 all-stars coming out of this draft? sounds like a pretty epic draft...one of the greatest of all time.
also, a player can be a solid starter and a role player at the same time so there is overlap b/t B and C. even some all-stars are role players. in fact, the overwhelming majority of good players are role players.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm

ManualRam wrote:so you have 11 all-stars coming out of this draft? sounds like a pretty epic draft...one of the greatest of all time.
also, a player can be a solid starter and a role player at the same time so there is overlap b/t B and C. even some all-stars are role players. in fact, the overwhelming majority of good players are role players.

Again, I just used a general feeling. Obviously there will be busts and obviously players won't live up to my standards. Of course it isn't going to be anything like this.

And by 'All-stars' I also mean fringe all-stars. Players that are good enough to be all-star, but aren't. There are a lot of players like that in the NBA. In fact, there are a **** TON of big players that just can't make an all-star team. There are also potential all-stars on bad teams (like Aaron Afflalo). On top of that, there are injuries that ruin a possible All-Star's career or position as a possible All-star. Not every good player becomes an actual all-star.

Technically, all players are role players. In the sense I'm using the word, I mean "role players coming off the bench." Didn't think it would be that hard to understand. BTW, can a player really be a solid starter and role player at the same? No, because they're either on the dominantly coming off the bench or they're not.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:so you have 11 all-stars coming out of this draft? sounds like a pretty epic draft...one of the greatest of all time.

Again, I just used a general feeling. Obviously there will be busts and obviously players won't live up to my standards. Of course it isn't going to be anything like this.

And by 'All-stars' I also mean fringe all-stars. Players that are good enough to be all-star, but aren't. There are a lot of players like that in the NBA. In fact, there are a **** TON of big players that just can't make an all-star team. There are also potential all-stars on bad teams (like Aaron Afflalo). On top of that, there are injuries that ruin a possible All-Star's career or position as a possible All-star. Not every good player becomes an actual all-star.

Technically, all players are role players. In the sense I'm using the word, I mean "role players coming off the bench." Didn't think it would be that hard to understand. BTW, can a player really be a solid starter and role player at the same? No, because they're either on the dominantly coming off the bench or they're not.

you should've clarified what you meant by all-stars. you'd figure that that label would be pretty cut and dry.

no, not all players are role players. some players are stars, the players who make plays and who teams/offenses/defenses are built around. those are the players that are surrounded by role players, both off the bench AND in the starting lineup... which means that yes, role players can be and are solid starters.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 pm

ManualRam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

you should've clarified what you meant by all-stars. you'd figure that that label would be pretty cut and dry.

no, not all players are role players. some players are stars, the players who make plays and who teams/offenses/defenses are built around. those are the players that are surrounded by role players, both off the bench AND in the starting lineup... which means that yes, role players can be and are solid starters.

Depends on perspective.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#6 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 pm

S:

Andrew Wiggins

A:

Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Joel Embiid
Dante Exum
Julius Randle
Aaron Gordon

B:

Noah Vonleh
Cleanthany Early
Shabazz Napier
Dario Saric
PJ Hairston
Tyler Ennis
Nik Stauskas
Rodney Hood
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
James Young
Marcus Smart
Gary Harris
Kyle Anderson

C:

Zach LaVine
KJ McDaniels
Doug McDermott
Clint Capela
Jerami Grant
Adrian Payne
TJ Warren
Jusuf Nurkic
Glenn Robinson III
Elfrid Payton

D:

Jarnell Stokes
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#7 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:32 pm

S:
Andrew Wiggins
Dante Exum
A:
Joel Embiid
Kyle Anderson
Gary Harris
Jabari Parker
Noah Vonleh
B:
Nik Stauskas
Julius Randle
Marcus Smart
Elfrid Payton
James Young
Jusuf Nurkic
Jordan Bachinyski
C:
Adreian Payne
PJ Hairston
CJ Wilcox
Cameron Clark
Doug McDermott
Russ Smith
Jerami Grant
D:
Roy Devynn Marble
Shabazz Napier
Cleanthony Early
GRIII
Anyone not mentioned won't be in the NBA and yes that includes Aaron Gordon
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#8 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Wait, you think Aaron Gordon will flush out of the NBA?
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#9 » by ImHeisenberg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 am

No D's or F's? You're being too optimistic.

There's going to be busts, guys out of the league after the first two years of their rookie contract run out.

I also wouldn't peg Wiggins and Parker as superstars. Embiid would be the only one with an S in my opinion- and that's dependent on the idea that his back isn't going to be a chronic issue.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#10 » by Talent Chaser » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Wait, you think Aaron Gordon will flush out of the NBA?

A tweener who can't shoot and has brick feet won't last in the NBA
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#11 » by Marcus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Everybody is extremely high on Exum and I hope he pans out to be all that he's touted to be. I'm just not completely sold on dude from the vids that are out of him especially when it comes to using that lef hand when attacking and possibly playing the deepest position in the league.

Can't wait till the workouts and Summer League to see if he's worth the "projected superstar" hype he's received off the limited visuals there are of him.

Also Aaron Gordon not being a "star" player in the league is one thing but to say he won't make it in the league for any team is a bit of a stretch. Dude isn't an elite prospect, not the same player he was touted to be, but there's still a lot to work with there. The effort is real and consistent, the defensive versatility is there and he's a team guy. Can be a very effective glue guy/role player at the next level.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,061

Post#12 » by EmperorLocky » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:54 am

GOAT

Exum

SUPERSTAR

Embiid

ALLSTAR

Parker
Smart
Randle

BUST

Wiggins

Don't worry, I'll bump this post in 15 years to say I told you so.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#13 » by E-Balla » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:05 am

S = Career Superstar
A = Part of career as All-Star
B = Solid Starter
C = Below average starter/Role Player
D = End of the Bench
F = Out of the NBA

Andrew Wiggins (A)
Jabari Parker (S)
Joel Embiid (A/S)
Dante Exum (A)
Julius Randle (A)
Aaron Gordon (D)
Noah Vonleh (B)
Zach LaVine (C)
Kyle Anderson (B)
Shabazz Napier (B)
Doug McDermott (B/A)
Tyler Ennis (B)
Nik Stauskas (B)
Adrian Payne (B)
Rodney Hood (C)
Marcus Smart (A)

Only did the players I know a lot about.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#14 » by 42uptop » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Too much optimism here.

Andrew Wiggins (B)
Jabari Parker (A)
Joel Embiid (S)
Dante Exum (A)
Julius Randle (C)
Aaron Gordon (B)