Spencer Dinwiddie

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

kd 35
Senior
And1: 605

Re: Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#21 » by kd 35 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:51 pm

I've been raving about him over on the Thunder board. I'm hoping OKC is able and willing to go get him at 29. He'd provide the floor spacing and scoring spark OKC needs off the bench. From there, he'd have the potential to develop into the starting 2-spot.

Here's an interesting read:
http://www.libertyballers.com/2014-nba-draft-prospects-andrew-wiggins-julius-randle/2014/5/28/5746478/2014-nba-draft-spencer-dinwiddie-sixers-mock-draft
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#22 » by ManualRam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:52 pm

greenandgold wrote:Call Dinwiddie injury ridden. Talk about how he's not going to recover his quickness b/c of the ACL tear. Criticize his defence. But comparing him to Kyle Weaver? Nonsense.

they have very similar builds, levels of athleticism, jack of all trades skillsets and lack of upside.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#23 » by greenandgold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:04 am

ManualRam wrote:
greenandgold wrote:Call Dinwiddie injury ridden. Talk about how he's not going to recover his quickness b/c of the ACL tear. Criticize his defence. But comparing him to Kyle Weaver? Nonsense.

they have very similar builds, levels of athleticism, jack of all trades skillsets and lack of upside.

I'm sorry you didn't realize how sky high Dinwiddie's true shooting and eFG percentages were this year, and just how much better Dinwiddie was offensively over his career than Weaver. It must have been a shock when you looked them up!

If Dinwiddie's and Weaver's stats were a little closer maybe the numbers could be parsed to even the players out somehow. But the differences are so stark that it's impossible.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:22 am

greenandgold wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

I'm sorry you didn't realize how sky high Dinwiddie's true shooting and eFG percentages were this year, and just how much better Dinwiddie was offensively over his career than Weaver. It must have been a shock when you looked them up!

If Dinwiddie's and Weaver's stats were a little closer maybe the numbers could be parsed to even the players out somehow. But the differences are so stark that it's impossible.

i was aware beforehand. the people who project players were aware of them too. what has that lead to? fringe first round stock?
i know this goes against how you and your analytic, prognosticating idols like to evaluate players, but there's more to projecting prospects than stats. what matters more is how their skills translate.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
greenandgold
Senior

Post#25 » by greenandgold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:03 am

No you weren't. Otherwise you wouldn't have made that dumb comparison with Kyle Weaver. Completely different levels of player.

It's the deepest draft in 15 years. Plenty of players in the second round will become major contributors in the NBA.
Sonrisen
Banned User
And1: 125

Post#26 » by Sonrisen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:32 am

miltk wrote:hasn't medicine progressed to the point where you DON'T have to prove you're passed an injury.

past?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#27 » by ManualRam » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 am

greenandgold wrote:No you weren't. Otherwise you wouldn't have made that dumb comparison with Kyle Weaver. Completely different levels of player.

It's the deepest draft in 15 years. Plenty of players in the second round will become major contributors in the NBA.

like i said, they play and move alike, are built similarly and have similar skill-sets.
i'm betting on him not being a major contributor. future 7th man if he pans out.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
greenandgold
Senior

Post#28 » by greenandgold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Dinwiddie's rated as a fringe first rounder because of his ACL injury and because of the historic depth of the draft.

Over their careers I expect the players drafted in the second round of the 2014 draft to outperform the first round of the 2013 draft. It's that good.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#29 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:05 pm

greenandgold wrote:Dinwiddie's rated as a fringe first rounder because of his ACL injury and because of the historic depth of the draft.

Over their careers I expect the players drafted in the second round of the 2014 draft to outperform the first round of the 2013 draft. It's that good.

This sounds like more of an indictment of the 2013 draft than an endorsement of this year's.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
greenandgold
Senior

Post#30 » by greenandgold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:20 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
greenandgold wrote:Dinwiddie's rated as a fringe first rounder because of his ACL injury and because of the historic depth of the draft.

This sounds like more of an indictment of the 2013 draft than an endorsement of this year's.

Haberstroh of ESPN had an interesting article today projecting the 2013 draft class to be the worst draft class in the last 25 years. 2012 also on the worst draft class list.

These things move in cycles. After the drought in 2012 and 2013 I think 2014 will end up being one of the better draft classes in the last 25 years. Incredibly deep according to all the stat guys.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#31 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 am

Big fan, a guy who can shoot 3s really well and hold his own defensively (lateral quickness/length) already gets far at the 2 guard spot nowadays, before considering he's a respectable athlete off the dribble and playmaker. And I think his thin frame is an optical illusion judging from how he weighed halfway through SG and SF at the combine despite a very low body fat %
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#32 » by Baller2014 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:44 am

2012 was a great draft.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#33 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Big fan, a guy who can shoot 3s really well and hold his own defensively (lateral quickness/length) already gets far at the 2 guard spot nowadays, before considering he's a respectable athlete off the dribble and playmaker. And I think his thin frame is an optical illusion judging from how he weighed halfway through SG and SF at the combine despite a very low body fat %

Does he have the strength to play to his potential? In theory this guy is sort of a Harden lite (good in the Pick and Roll, gets to the rim, gets to the line a lot, sets up teammates, shoots the three). But one aspect that I believe allows James to do that is how strong he is with the ball. Will Dinnwiddie be able to translate his game to the nba without similar strength.

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#34 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:32 am

Dinwiddie could be a great pickup as a second rounder if he can make a complete recovery.

Definitely not a star, but has the tools to give quality minutes once healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#35 » by Baller2014 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 am

Dinwiddie hasn't had a single workout as far as I know. I know he was hurt, but his ACL surgery was over 5 months ago, I mean someone must have promised him something surely.
greenandgold
Senior

Post#36 » by greenandgold » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Baller2014 wrote:Dinwiddie hasn't had a single workout as far as I know. I know he was hurt, but his ACL surgery was over 5 months ago, I mean someone must have promised him something surely.

Dinwiddie is too hurt to physically work out but he's visited many teams, including OKC last week.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#37 » by cdel00 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:34 am

greenandgold wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i don't see that much difference b/t he and kyle weaver.

Kyle Weaver! I liked that kid. Charming comparison. False, but charming.

Dinwiddie put up way more points per minute and at much higher efficiency (60% TS vs Weaver's 54% TS). Dinwiddie got to the free throw line at a much higher rate. Dinwiddie shot 38.6% from 3P for his career, while Weaver shot 27.7% from 3P. Offensively there's no comparison.

Weaver was a better rebounder and was committed to the defense end.

Both guys are skinny black combo guards. That's about where the similarities end.

I was a fan of Weaver's too :) and agree Dinwiddie is so different. Weaver doesn't have Dinwiddie's BB IQ or range or distribution. Dinwiddie and Nick Johnson are ballers. And both are under rated by many
NightmanCometh
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#38 » by NightmanCometh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 am

Did find that the way the man expresses himself was impressive. Imagine Spencer would have been worded up on making a special effort in order to dazzle the powers that be with his social skills and temperament considering his circumstances...but still.
I know fans like to harp on about how much of a good character said player has blah blah blah. Well this is kind of one them moments.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#39 » by BoutPractice » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Most obvious future coach/analyst ever. Already has that grown man mustache.

Return to NBA Draft