Poll: Who would you rather have; Lowry or Walker?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Poll: Who would you rather have as your pg? Walker or Lowry

Kemba Walker
39%
Kyle Lowry
61%

Total votes: 61

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Re: Poll: Who would you rather have; Lowry or Walker? 

Post#61 » by GoBobs » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Sonrisen wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Much rather have Kemba because he is only 24 while Lowry is 28. If we were just thinking about next year I might rather have Lowry, but that would be short sighted for an NBA front office in our teams position.

The idea of trading Kemba for Tobias Harris and 12 is a bad one. Harris is a good player but we don't really need him. He doesn't fit at the PF with Al Jefferson. Zeller is probably a better prospect long term anyway. Number 12 is a nice pick but I am not super excited about anyone in that range and we already have a better pick.

There is no way to know how much Lowry is going to cost if we could even sign him. Kemba will be restricted so we are in a better position there. Signing a 28 year old guard to a big four year contract after a career year in his contract year is a scary move. Let someone else make it.

Tobias Harris is a sf. And here's what Magic fansd think about the trade:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1329526

I know all about Tobias, I watched him play at Tennessee. He is a tweener putting up good stats on a bad team. He can't guard the three or the four.

Nobody cares what Magic fans think. They love him because they stole him for nothing from the Bucks and he has been surprisingly good. Magic fans think that AA is worth multiple first round picks. Most of them believe we offered them the #9 and Biz and they laughed us off the phone. (maybe Higgy did what if them and hence why he was fired)
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,961

Post#62 » by Shock Defeat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Lowry improved at an extreme rate that is rare for NBA players from 24 to 28. Lowry is better now and chances are Kemba would not be at Lowry's level. Not sure what Walker does that is better than Lowry other than cool crossovers.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#63 » by Zombiesonics » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 pm

i love how age matters in every other comparison thread but not in this one. Lowry is the better player but is much older. Kemba is a better shooter than lowry was @ 24, and walker also the last half of the season really improved his assist numbers. He can make another jump, he is athletic as hell. not all players are who they are @ 24.
Chriscross
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,190

Post#64 » by Chriscross » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Kyle Lowry was a Top 5 PG this season

Will Kemba ever reach that level? Maybe but I will take the proven guy still in the prime of his career

Kemba

TS% .499
ORtg 103
WS/48 .093
WS 5.1

Lowry

TS% .567
ORtg 118
WS/48 .197
WS 11.7

Also Lowry was 2nd in the league in charges taken. Really stepped his game defensively plus he was the leader of the team. Everyone on our team looks up to him
Love List
Drazen Petrovic
Pete Maravich
Stephen Curry
Jusuf Nurkic
Chriscross
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by Chriscross » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:i love how age matters in every other comparison thread but not in this one. Lowry is the better player but is much older. Kemba is a better shooter than lowry was @ 24, and walker also the last half of the season really improved his assist numbers. He can make another jump, he is athletic as hell. not all players are who they are @ 24.

Kemba is not the better shooter than Lowry. He shot under 40% this season with a sub .500 TS%. Both extremely poor. Lowry has never had a TS% dip below .530

I don't understand why Walker has such a high usage for someone who is an extremely poor shooter

Walker didn't improve from year 2 to year 3
Love List
Drazen Petrovic
Pete Maravich
Stephen Curry
Jusuf Nurkic
Sonrisen
Banned User
And1: 125

Post#66 » by Sonrisen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Chriscross wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:i love how age matters in every other comparison thread but not in this one. Lowry is the better player but is much older. Kemba is a better shooter than lowry was @ 24, and walker also the last half of the season really improved his assist numbers. He can make another jump, he is athletic as hell. not all players are who they are @ 24.

Kemba is not the better shooter than Lowry. He shot under 40% this season with a sub .500 TS%. Both extremely poor. Lowry has never had a TS% dip below .530

I don't understand why Walker has such a high usage for someone who is an extremely poor shooter

He actually regressed from 43% to 39%.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#67 » by Joest2003 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Chriscross wrote:

Have you seen the bobcats roster the past 3 seasons? Kemba is forced to jack up shots because nobody but big Al can create their own shot. Mkg literally has the worst jumper in the NBA possibly even international play and henderson (the sg) can't even make a three. he shoots so much because he has to and half the time he gets the ball back with 5 seconds left. I also love how you pointed out his fg percentage droped but didnt mention his assists, rebounds, 3pt, and ft percentage went up.
Chriscross
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by Chriscross » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Chriscross wrote:

Have you seen the bobcats roster the past 3 seasons? Kemba is forced to jack up shots because nobody but big Al can create their own shot. Mkg literally has the worst jumper in the NBA possibly even international play and henderson (the sg) can't even make a three. he shoots so much because he has to and half the time he gets the ball back with 5 seconds left. I also love how you pointed out his fg percentage droped but didnt mention his assists, rebounds, 3pt, and ft percentage went up.

His assists went up 0.4. Insignificant. His minutes went up almost a full minute

TS% includes FG% FT% and 3 PT% and it was below 50%. Worse than last season

His rebounds went up, his steals went down....

Also,

38% of Kemba Walkers shots came between 0-10 seconds
40% of Kyle Lowrys shots came between 0-10 seconds
Love List
Drazen Petrovic
Pete Maravich
Stephen Curry
Jusuf Nurkic
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by GoBobs » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Even if the Hornets really want Lowry, just sign him with cap space and keep Kemba for the backup. That would still be better then trading Kemba for Tobias and #12.
Sonrisen
Banned User

Post#70 » by Sonrisen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 pm

GoBobs wrote:Even if the Hornets really want Lowry, just sign him with cap space and keep Kemba for the backup. That would still be better then trading Kemba for Tobias and #12.

That's crazy, with Tobias you have your starting sf for the next decade and the #12 can get you a backup pg or sg, or starting pf. You have to leverage and maximize your assets.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#71 » by Joest2003 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:11 pm

GoBobs wrote:Even if the Hornets really want Lowry, just sign him with cap space and keep Kemba for the backup. That would still be better then trading Kemba for Tobias and #12.

They dont. hes a 28 year old with career numbers of 11 and 5. Hornets are all set with Lowry.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by GoBobs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:19 am

Sonrisen wrote:

That's crazy, with Tobias you have your starting sf for the next decade and the #12 can get you a backup pg or sg, or starting pf. You have to leverage and maximize your assets.

Pfffffttttt!......... Tobias couldn't carry MKG's jock strap!
Sonrisen
Banned User

Post#73 » by Sonrisen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:54 am

GoBobs wrote:
Sonrisen wrote:

Pfffffttttt!......... Tobias couldn't carry MKG's jock strap!

That's absurd. If MKG doesn't acquire some semblance of an offense, he will be out of the league in a few years. Harris is offensively explosive and more than adequate on defense. Cho's record of drafting offensively challenged players, i.e. Biz, MKG, Zeller, etc, is beginning to haunt him.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#74 » by Volcano » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:27 am

Joest2003 wrote:
Jazzfan12 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:
That's funny because their career stats says the opposite. Dam those stats when they get in the way of a good story.

Lowry rated a top 10 player in the NBA going by most catch-all stats last year.

What do you think the odds are that Kemba ever gets to a point near that level.

Top 10??? Lol wow. With that said how many years did it take him to even put up respectable numbers? compare kl and kws first 3 seasons and then still ask yourself if you would trade kemba for lowry.

Different players project differently. Just because Lowry made a jump, doesn't mean Kemba will experience a spike in improvement. He broke out in Houston, not Toronto, but got injured. Lowry's career path is kind of like Billups'.

With the type of PG's in today's league, Kemba's the type of player you trade for better value, whether you're in win-now mode or tanking. He's not an amazing piece to have on a contender and doesn't project to be one. Not good enough to be a star and his game doesn't fit that of a great role player. He's good for a stop gap on a treadmill team.

Lowry you trade if you're tanking or treadmilling, but keep if you want to win-now.

For the Hornets, if they can get Lowry through FA, they should trade Kemba for a different piece to their puzzle (I wouldn't want Tobias, but along with #12 it's good value..I'd rather take Afflalo and continue to find an SF + defensive big man).

If it's a straight up trade (Kemba for Lowry), I'm not sure if it makes that much sense because Charlotte won't have the pieces to contend..might as well stick with the younger, less injury prone guy. Kemba's suitable for the treadmill.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#75 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Sonrisen wrote:
jdm3 wrote:In 8 years Lowery has had one year as good as Kemba's this past season. He is. 4 years older and will cost two or three times as much. Easy to see Kemba is a better player for the Hornets for the time being. The gap between the two is very small and is more than crushed up by the difference in cost.

"Easy" is an opinion. I think Lowry is the superior player, hence the superior cost. Does it not concern you that Kemba's fg % actually went doen from 42% to 39% from is second season to this past one? People kept saying that he was the only scoring option, that's why he was inefficient, but Al came along (one of the best low post scorers in the league) and Kemba still had a horrific shooting %. You rather have Kemba as the starting pg on this team, I'd rather have Lowry, expecially if Kemba could net me Tobias Harris and #12.

You're really harping on a pretty minor dip in FG%. (He went up slightly in 3FG%, btw.)

Did you know that he was playing through an injury for a long stretch? He shot like 45% in December and January, then hurt his ankle. He shot something like 36% after the All Star break. If you want to base your argument on the fact that his FG% went down, fine. But it's dumb. Context is always important.

He looked good by the end of the season, once his ankle and groin were healed. He sure shot 47% and 50% from 3 against the Heat.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#76 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:25 am

Give me lowry all day.Lowry is just the better pg all around,not to mention a team leader.At the end of a 4 yr contract he will be 33,which with his skill set he should be fine.Iam just not sold on kemba being the leader of a team and taking his team far as a number 1-2 option.I also think kemba projects to be a super 6th man in a reddick/korver role ,which there should be no shame in it.

Return to NBA Draft