So, who will win rookie of the year?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Re: So, who will win rookie of the year? 

Post#61 » by They_Them_Hatin » Wed Jul 9, 2014 10:55 pm

Kaioken wrote:
ntsap wrote:Parker or Randle. Parker because the bucks have no go to scorer so he will get a lot of shots. Randle if the lakers are smart and tank another year and pick up bad contracts for picks he will average kevin love like rebounds with that lakers squad. Wouldn't be surprised of Gordon or Noel either .

The lakers have to tank really hard. They would only get their pick if it's in the top 5.

I don't think so. All the tanking teams besides Philly of course seems to want to win. Utah and Milwaukee are in the same situation they were in last year. Want to make the playoffs but will be bad.
Theanswer82
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#62 » by Theanswer82 » Wed Jul 9, 2014 11:46 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:1.Jabari
2.Shabazz
3.Smart
4.Randle
5.Mcdermott/Wiggins

LMAO at Nerlens Noel. I would bet he doesn't get a single vote for ROY
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#63 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Mr Sixer wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Favorite: Parker

Sleeper: Payton

I think Parker is far and away the favorite. Payton will also get a good opportunity, as the Magic look to groom him for the future.

I hope you're calling it a sleeper pick because he'll only win in his dreams

Lol. Is this from the one summer league game?

First of all, a sleeper pick is a long-shot that no one expects. So to make fun of my sleeper pick by saying he is a long-shot that no one expects is a pretty asinine thing to do. It just doesn't make any sense, and is pretty much you just being a dick.

Secondly, ROY is very dependent on opportunity and just look at the opportunity that Payton is going to have on that Magic team. No one is competing for minutes at the PG position, so he is going to be thrown into the fire. Payton will have the chance to rack up volume point and assist numbers like very few other players in this draft.

Now, the only thing I might add is that Adams might be a better sleeper pick. I liked him a lot during the draft, in fact I thought he could go in the lottery as high as Philly (but more likely in the mid-first at one of the Suns picks). Racking up back to back 20 points in his first 2 games, and being the only real wing scorer in Memphis, potentially gives him a great opportunity to surprise.

I think Payton looks like a steal at 10 already. I doubt he outshines Parker or Wiggins though. I still think Randle has a shot because he'll have a shot to put up a double double in LA. Smart has no shot - I thought he might be most NBA ready guy but he has to figure out how to score in NBA without bowling over people.

I am curious to see how the scorers in the draft fare in Vegas. Nobody in Orlando has really been too electrifying. Warren, Stauskas and McDermott are guys who know how to score and should be fun to watch in SL.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,860

Post#64 » by Phila Tough » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:32 pm

I like Exum to win it based on skill and the opportunity he will have.

Exum
Parker
Noel
NL41
Banned User
And1: 260

Post#65 » by NL41 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 am

Smart is yesterday's news. And tomorrow's ROY.
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#66 » by majortom71 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:14 am

NL41 wrote:Smart is yesterday's news. And tomorrow's ROY.

I do like Smart because I do value defense a lot, unfortunately ROY award does not value defense much :nonono:
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#67 » by Hangtime84 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Parker
Randel
Exum
McBuckets
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#68 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 pm

I think given the opportunity Payton could win it, just not sure JV will give him the MPG. If you look at Payton compared to MCW last in year in SL. Payton had more total assists, rebounds, and shot in higher % in 25 to 30 less minutes.
max23
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#69 » by max23 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Well let's look at the first round:
-Wiggins probably wont start if they keep Waiters,so might get 25 mpg.In other words he won't win.
-Exum isnt starting either,with Trey Burke,Alec Burks and Gordon there.I dont think hes ready anyways,so won't win either.
-Gordon isn't starting with that jump shot,so not him.
-Mcroberts leaving means Vonleh has a shot at seeing lots of minutes.I havent seen much of him,so i wont give an opinion.
I coud keep going but here are the only rookies i see earning enough minutes to posibly win it:
-Regardless how good Parker is,he will get the minutes,AND the shots.Doesn't matter if he shoots under 40 % from the floor,he would still average around 16-17 ppg with 5-6 rpg.It's his award to lose.
-Noel will average nice defensive numbers,but nothing enough to get the award.
-Randle will start i think,im guessing by default.But he won't put up high enough numbers,probably around 12-13 ppg with 5-6 rpg.
-Payton looked good,aside from his jumpshot,in summer league.He will get minutes,unless they sign someone else,as he's definately a better option than Moore,He won't beat Parker,but at the end of the year,on paper,he will look like a top 5 draft pick from this class.
As much as this draft class was hyped,those are the only players i see getting enough minutes to win it this year.Im pretty sure,though,that the top players from this class at the end of this year will be different from the top players in 3 years.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#70 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm

peZt wrote:Parker or Exum

I love Exum's potential but no way in hell does he have a shot at ROY, he's too raw. He is basically a HS, and how many of those guys came into the league and dominated right away? Lebron James, and that is it, right?
tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#71 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:23 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:1.Jabari
2.Shabazz
3.Smart
4.Randle
5.Mcdermott/Wiggins

LMAO at Nerlens Noel. I would bet he doesn't get a single vote for ROY

I'm willing to bet Noel has more votes than Shabazz.
tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#72 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:25 pm

bigboi wrote:Parker probably averages 20 and the Bucks have a legit chance of making the playoffs.
Wiggins will probably average around 15 as a 2nd-3rd option
Payton I think will surprise and could be a excellent with Oladipo. Gordon could be a surprise too.
If Kobe gets injured again and Randle is forced to be a primary option, he could very well average 17 IMO.

But yeah, Parker or Wiggins have the best chance

I'm sure Payton will put up better numbers than Gordon, who looks raw and not ready for much other than put backs.
tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#73 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:27 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:
I am talking about over a full season anybody can average anything in 20 games or whatever. Noel who will no doubt be pound for pound the weakest player in the NBA will never come close to 11 rebounds a game. He doesn't have any offensive skill either but anybody can get 13 points on an up tempo team so that is the most realistic

You do realize 76ers are pretty much a D League level team that also plays at the fastest pace in the league? Someone has to get stats on that team.
tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#74 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Kaioken wrote:
ntsap wrote:Parker or Randle. Parker because the bucks have no go to scorer so he will get a lot of shots. Randle if the lakers are smart and tank another year and pick up bad contracts for picks he will average kevin love like rebounds with that lakers squad. Wouldn't be surprised of Gordon or Noel either .

The lakers have to tank really hard. They would only get their pick if it's in the top 5.

Who's that pick going to?
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#75 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
Kaioken wrote:

Who's that pick going to?

Phoenix. It would suck for them if they get the 7th pick or so for a crippled Nash who can't stay healthy.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 am

I was leaning on Jabari to get the award. I think he is talented enough with great opportunity to get wow numbers.

But I was surprised with the improvement of Nerlens on offense. He's going to get star type defensive numbers like 2bpg and 2spg with some weak rebounding numbers 5-7rpg? But I think he's going to surprise people with his scoring numbers with an improved offensive skillset and FT%, he'd possible score something around 15ppg with efficiency.

So looking at it, unless someone will average close to 20ppg and more, I don't think he can statistically beat Nerlens for ROY. For I think his defensive numbers along good scoring numbers for a first year guy should be hard to beat.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#77 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:It will be either Jabari Parker or Nerlens Noel. If Parker scores 18 PPP he will win it. If Noel scores 13 ppg and Parker no more than 17, Noel will win it.

I change my vote. Parker isn't good enough to score 17 ppg as a rookie, and I don't believe Kidd will suffer along with Parker jacking up shots to pad stats. It will be either Nerlens Noel (or Marcus Smart if Rondo is traded).
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#78 » by E-Balla » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 am

LloydFree wrote:
LloydFree wrote:It will be either Jabari Parker or Nerlens Noel. If Parker scores 18 PPP he will win it. If Noel scores 13 ppg and Parker no more than 17, Noel will win it.

I change my vote. Parker isn't good enough to score 17 ppg as a rookie, and I don't believe Kidd will suffer along with Parker jacking up shots to pad stats. It will be either Nerlens Noel (or Marcus Smart if Rondo is traded).

If anything I'm more convinced. He's had 3 good games out of 4 and last game he was on another level.

Return to NBA Draft