Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,108

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#101 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I only saw about a half game of him in summer league. In that game he mostly just camped out in the right corner and waited for the ball. Pretty much a non-factor on offense. I didn't see much to write home on defense either. He did manage a nice pass or two though. (2nd half against the Bucks IIRC)

If the Jazz are just going to hide him in the right corner like they did with Burke last year I think he's going to have a very poor rookie season.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#102 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:00 pm

exum didnt really look elite imo. He looked good, but not like an elite talent.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#103 » by reanimator » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:exum didnt really look elite imo. He looked good, but not like an elite talent.

So kind of like Payton?
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#104 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:13 pm

reanimator wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:exum didnt really look elite imo. He looked good, but not like an elite talent.

So kind of like Payton?

imo payton looked like he has serious potential as a passer and playmaker.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#105 » by reanimator » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
reanimator wrote:

So kind of like Payton?

I'm sure
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#106 » by majortom71 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 pm

reanimator wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:
reanimator wrote:
So kind of like Payton?

I'm sure

I have not seen too much of either but from watching the little I have I can see that Payton is a pass first player and Exum is more of a scoring guard.

They both can be game changers but again my sample size has been small, we'll see more during the RS.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#107 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 pm

reanimator wrote:

So kind of like Payton?

lol you're a pretty heavy believer in Dante aren't you?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reanimator
Analyst

Post#108 » by reanimator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:

So kind of like Payton?

Can't teach the burst, physical dimensions and feel he has for basketball
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#109 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:37 pm

reanimator wrote:
Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:
So kind of like Payton?

Can't teach the burst, physical dimensions and feel he has for basketball

i feel you, but don't take it out on dude lol......

Elf should appear to be further along than Exum he's older, played better comp, and is more developed in his fundamentals. He was more composed after that first game in Orlando and got better while Dante seemed to regress. I think end of the day once Exum gets his fundamentals set he should be a gem. This was culture shock for the kid and he'll get it IF he works on it.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reanimator
Analyst

Post#110 » by reanimator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 pm

I actually like Payton. Magic fans are just transparent in claiming Exum is "ok"
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:57 pm

reanimator wrote:I actually like Payton. Magic fans are just transparent in claiming Exum is "ok"

I can agree with you there. some of the homerism around here is pretty crazy.
Watch More Basketball

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#112 » by KillMonger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 pm

reanimator wrote:I actually like Payton. Magic fans are just transparent in claiming Exum is "ok"

just basing it off the summer league? he was worse than ok, did not impress in the least. Most of my feelings is because of his conditioning, what's the use of having a lighting quick first step if he's too gassed to use it repeatedly? Either way the sample is way too small, he's raw and he needs some time to really get cooking, but what was funny is the people that were crowning him the next kobe after 1 summer league game where while he did some good things wasn't worthy of that kind of reaction.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#113 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:54 am

reanimator wrote:Can't teach the burst, physical dimensions and feel he has for basketball

what suggests he has a good feel when he forces passes into traffic as often as he did in the sl? He has a good burst, but again nothing out of the ordinary. It's not like we're talking about the next Rose or westbrook in terms of speed off the dribble. He and payton are comparable in that department.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#114 » by EMG518 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:59 am

Payton has looked alot better than Exum and as far as age goes, Exum is 19, age of someone going into there sophomore year at college and Payton is 20, age of someone going into there junior year of college. Payton impacts the game far more without even scoring, rebounding, passing, creating turnovers, defense. Far better at running the point right now as well.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#115 » by dballislife » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 am

with that speed and ability to consistently almost at will get by people and attack defenses, tony parker like, and elite size at point, nice handles already, passing and unselfish pure point guard game...exum will at least be very good player, imo hes easily a star like PG, not superstar like but a decent star...but then has superstar longer tony parker esque potential in him, i see a better passing and less scoring tony parker in his future
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#116 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:02 am

reanimator wrote:

So kind of like Payton?

I'm sure Piston fans are still bitter after Payton abused KCP the whole game then Dipo dunks on him and talks smack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRuJvrQogSE
NoKneeBledsoe
Junior
And1: 92

Post#117 » by NoKneeBledsoe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:09 am

Not going to lie. Basketball rob but Payton is good but not as smooth as Exum.

I can guarantee you Exum has a better career with his BBall IQ and confidence. He will be able to run a team since day 1.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#118 » by reanimator » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:12 pm

basketballRob wrote:
reanimator wrote:

So kind of like Payton?

I'm sure Piston fans are still bitter after Payton abused KCP the whole game then Dipo dunks on him and talks smack.

Summer league, really? :lol:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#119 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm

reanimator wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
reanimator wrote:
So kind of like Payton?

Summer league, really? :lol:

Yep, he punked him.
RapHippy
Rookie
And1: 267

Post#120 » by RapHippy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Marcus wrote:

I can agree with you there. some of the homerism around here is pretty crazy.

I'm sure homerism is the equal to the bias towards Exum, which Exum fans hold. Sure he showed flashes of his athleticism, he still didn't impact the game very heavily other than in the highlight reels talking about hi because of Exum's mystery.

While we should take summer league stats with a grain of salt, they are still a good indicator of how they impact the game in an unorganized setting. They also help people see tendencies of a player against similar/lower talent.

For the sake of this conversation, I will compare Exum to Payton.

Exum averaged 7.2 ppg 2.6 rpg & 2.8 apg in 134 minutes of sample size( 26mpg).
Payton averaged 9.2 ppg 5.2 rpg & 7.0 apg in 129 minutes of sample size (25.8 mpg)

If Exum homers can be enticed by the "eye test" of judging a player, there should be no double standard towards how Payton fans are excited about his stats & the "eye test".

With no bias's, Exum looks like a scoring combo guard who has to be ball dominant to preform. He has the ability to learn how to find his teammates, and the size to become a good defender, but isn't shown in his play. He could be a great scorer, however if he doesn't learn to play off-ball and actively, he will not live up to the hype.

Payton looks like a pass-first point guard who preforms a lot better on ball, but finds ways to help when he's playing off-ball. Has the right athleticism & build to become a great defender, and is a very good play maker even in the unorganized play of summer league, however the speed is lacking, and his ball handling is a bit disappointing. Will never become a top-scorer if he doesn't develop his shooting, however will still be a threat if he doesn't.

Right now I'd lean on Payton, because of the natural ability of passing & defending. Exum could be great still, but his hype seemed to be slightly exaggerated.

tl;dr Double standards in being fans of a player are not cool.

Return to NBA Draft