Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#161 » by reanimator » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:29 am

Start of Year 2 for Smart, Exum and Payton
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#162 » by RollingWave » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:09 am

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:It's way too early to tell. If people dont come right out of the gate like Damian Lilliard, they're busts. Marcus Smart isn't scorching the stat line either but he's showing maturity and growth on Offense expeically concerning his 3pt % and his PG skills are coming along slowly. Not everyone is going to be a monster right out of the gate, especially PG's and Centers. They have the biggest learning curve out of everyone. He'll be fine. He needs some years in the league before you can see who was a bust or not. Then there's the Anthony Bennetts of the leauge, But he's a power forward and he lost his mojo right outta the gate and he didn't have to learn the PG or Center spot. Put that in conjunction with him having the pressure of being the number 1 pick and he's definitely a bust. But that happens. He'll have a much better carreer than Anthony Bennett. But lots of people already know this.

While true, very very few guys puts up a sub 6 PER in their first 1500 min on the NBA floor and go on to be a decent player.
The river of time wash away all heroes
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#163 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:13 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Honor goes to Aaron Gordon, by a significant amount.

Yup, picked fourth, will produce like he was picked fourteenth.

I'm noticing a trend. Every year the fourth picks ends up being a major reach.

2014: Gordon
2013: Zeller
2012: Waiters
2011: Thompson
2010: Johnson

Weird.

2015: Porzingis

Holy ****...
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#164 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:16 pm

Exum played like he didn't believe he belonged on the court last year. Honestly the only player I could compare it to (don't kill me Jazz fans) is Kwame Brown. I think he needs a few good games to gain his confidence like Wiggins but he might not have it in him like Wiggins did.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#165 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:34 pm

E-Balla wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Honor goes to Aaron Gordon, by a significant amount.

Yup, picked fourth, will produce like he was picked fourteenth.

Weird.

Holy ****...

LA and Philly both looked a Porzingis- don't think he was that big of a reach, actually. But the trend of big reaches at #4 seems to continue.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#166 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:40 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:Yup, picked fourth, will produce like he was picked fourteenth.

Weird.

Holy ****...

LA and Philly both looked a Porzingis- don't think he was that big of a reach, actually. But the trend of big reaches at #4 seems to continue.

Yeah he wasn't major but still a slight reach at 5 over Mudiay IMO. He was a reach in the sense that most didn't have him going 4th even if there was no consensus.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#167 » by erudite23 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:37 pm

All disclaimers apply, but Exum looked like a different dude the other night in SL.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#168 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:32 pm

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:Yup, picked fourth, will produce like he was picked fourteenth.

Weird.

Holy ****...

I hate that you guys are actively looking for trends. Scouting is such an incomplete practice and finding a trend like "all fourth picks will be bad" is like saying you believe in witches and warlocks. It's a superstitious idea that doesn't work in history. Each draft is different and we have much more information today than we have in previous years.

Porzingis will be a great player if he can avoid injuries because this was a top-heavy draft. In other drafts he would have gone 1 or 2.

Having said that, Tristan Thompson doesn't fit with the style of play that has taken over the league, otherwise he might be a much better pick. Waiters is likely a bust. Zeller was picked by the Bobcats and somehow jumped on their board to 4 because it was a terrible draft (at least at the time everyone thought it was). He shouldn't have been picked there, but that organization cannot draft. And Aaron Gordon barely played because of his injuries, but when he did play, he had some bright moments. It was also only his first season. He's gaining confidence in his shot and I believe you'll be eating your words by the end of this season.

Porzingis wasn't a "reach," he was the best player on the board at the time.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#169 » by E-Balla » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:36 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
E-Balla wrote:2015: Porzingis

Holy ****...

I hate that you guys are actively looking for trends. Scouting is such an incomplete practice and finding a trend like "all fourth picks will be bad" is like saying you believe in witches and warlocks. It's a superstitious idea that doesn't work in history. Each draft is different and we have much more information today than we have in previous years.

Porzingis will be a great player if he can avoid injuries because this was a top-heavy draft. In other drafts he would have gone 1 or 2.

Having said that, Tristan Thompson doesn't fit with the style of play that has taken over the league, otherwise he might be a much better pick. Waiters is likely a bust. Zeller was picked by the Bobcats and somehow jumped on their board to 4 because it was a terrible draft (at least at the time everyone thought it was). He shouldn't have been picked there, but that organization cannot draft. And Aaron Gordon barely played because of his injuries, but when he did play, he had some bright moments. It was also only his first season. He's gaining confidence in his shot and I believe you'll be eating your words by the end of this season.

Porzingis wasn't a "reach," he was the best player on the board at the time.

No one said anything about being bad. Westbrook at 5 was a reach but he isn't a bad player. It has to do with his standing among the average fan and where they think he should go.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#170 » by Catchall » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:11 am

Exum has gained 13 lbs apparently and is more willing to push his way into the paint. One other thing I've noticed (granted, in his one SL game so far), is that he doesn't just rely on his first step alone to get by people anymore. He has a bit of shift and can get a stride ahead of his defender anytime he wants, so his drives aren't all or nothing. It also seems like he's trained himself how to fall on the court in a way so that he can protect himself. I think he's patterning his pick-and-roll game after Tony Parker.

I think he'll be effective, but he might be another year or so away from putting the whole package together.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#171 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:28 am

I thought Exum was ok as a starting PG last year. Most of his contributions were on the defensive side, but, his on court numbers were decent. It won't take a huge amount of improvment to move him up the PG ranks.

I think if his ONLY improvement is getting to the free throw line as he did in summmer league he'll be vastly improved.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,596

Post#172 » by SOUL » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:33 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I thought Exum was ok as a starting PG last year. Most of his contributions were on the defensive side, but, his on court numbers were decent. It won't take a huge amount of improvment to move him up the PG ranks.

I think if his ONLY improvement is getting to the free throw line as he did in summmer league he'll be vastly improved.

There's no way you believe this. I can get behind his defense, I can get behind giving him minutes and I can get behind his improvement this year, but his NUMBERS as a starter were horrendous. 22 minutes, 4/1/2, no FTS for like 2 months, 5 PER, no 5 + assist games for 3 months, no 6 rebound game. It's not like he was a big or a PF or a SF rookie either, the PG is going to have the ball in his hands. On a purely "numbers" game he was really, really bad. Like I said he seemed to hold his own defensively and as long as he's aggressive I think he'll turn out to be just fine, but he looked passive for most of the year.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:55 am

"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,885

Post#174 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 am

"Man gotta have a code."

Exum looked fat in the summer league. Let's hope he's bulking to lean out, because he still has so much work to go. Getting to the line isn't that hard in summer league because the refs blow the whistle on everything. I am intrigued by his second year for sure.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#175 » by majortom71 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:40 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2403167-why-dante-exum-is-the-nbas-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

I never really got to watch too many Jazz games but had some questions on Exum's defense.
In games does Exum usually guard the 2 position or the 1? Can he guard top players at both positions?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:38 am

Chuck Everett wrote:"Man gotta have a code."

Exum looked fat in the summer league. Let's hope he's bulking to lean out, because he still has so much work to go. Getting to the line isn't that hard in summer league because the refs blow the whistle on everything. I am intrigued by his second year for sure.

I thought the same thing.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:38 am

majortom71 wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2403167-why-dante-exum-is-the-nbas-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

I never really got to watch too many Jazz games but had some questions on Exum's defense.
In games does Exum usually guard the 2 position or the 1? Can he guard top players at both positions?

He has the size and length to guard either.
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#178 » by majortom71 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:56 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:
majortom71 wrote:

He has the size and length to guard either.

I understand but has he defended against top guards like CP3 or Kyrie? And if so how did he hold up against them?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:21 am

I'll have to let someone else answer that one.
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#180 » by splendidham » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:29 am

Chuck Everett wrote:"Man gotta have a code."

All that fat and he's still posting the second fastest lane agility time ever at P3. He did look a bit pudgy in the back side though. I couldn't figure out if it was just fat or whether it was his baggy shorts. In photos from SL that I've seen of him since, he doesn't look fat at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to NBA Draft