Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: 2015 NBA Draft. 

Post#801 » by ManualRam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:04 pm

E-Balla wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
E-Balla wrote:In college he gets to where he wants to go. In the NBA starting points are amazingly fast on most teams or they're big. You couldn't name me one decent point that isn't at least bigger than Tyus or faster. Love the kid but to me he's a fringe top 10 pick.

in the NBA they'll run even more PnR than they do in college. not just ball screens, legit 2 man PnR which tyus is already proficient at.
furthermore, its not about how fast a player is, its how the player reacts on the move. if a player gets by his man, gets downhill off a secondary break or off a ball screen, he STILL will likely encounter a help defender or 2. is he still a triple threat on the move? can he make split decisions on the move? can he react properly and have the vision/coordination to make the proper play? is he a threat to score en route to the bucket? tyus is threat to pull up, he has a floater game with either hand, actually has a flopping game already and he drives to pass. countless times each game he beats his man en route to making a play because A: he's got excellent change of speed/direction. knows how to get his man leaning B: he's a threat to shoot from deep off the dribble, so he has to be played honestly C: when he gets a step on his man he knows how to maintain his advantage by angling into the defender. D: he knows how to properly set up and use ball screens.
i heard the same criticism of him coming out of HS and i never got it. he's fast in the open floor, even faster when you taking into account his hit ahead passes and was an excellent 1 on 1 player. you cant be an excellent 1 on 1 player at his size without quickness. its not like he was just bullying defenders at his size, even against HS comp.

In the open court Tyus is not fast for a 6-1 PG. When I'm saying he's slow I'm comparing him to 6-1 PGs like Chris Paul, Mike Conley, Ray Felton, Brandon Jennings, etc. and yes he his slow compared to most NBA guards his size. TO me that's an issue he will probably struggle majorly to overcome defensively. Offensively I do think he will be a good player but defensively I don't see him being great.

And his floater game isn't that good yet. Tyus' biggest strengths scoring the ball are his jumper and his ability to get to the line and make freethrows. His ability to do everything else is iffy to me. I hope I'm wrong but I really do not see what you see out there.

yep i definitely disagree, especially about his speed in the open floor. i don't think he's slow at all, by any comparison. i'd have no concerns about him at all handling the ball in transition. i know i keep coming back to this aspect, but his hit ahead passes are the best i've seen since...idk, kidd. if you're flanking him all you have to do is run hard, keep your head on a swivel and he'll get you the ball.
his floater game is good too. he's had that in his game dating to back when i saw him as a freshman in HS. what i also noticed about his floater game over the years is that he can use either hand to shoot that shot. he actually hasnt been drawing fouls at a great rate but as i mentioned, he's more of a guy who drives to pass. he does know how to sell contact though. just watch how often he whips his head back a la harden/cp3 on drives, so there is that cleverness/manipulation in his game.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#802 » by reanimator » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:07 pm

ManualRam wrote:
reanimator wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i dont get that criticism. i've said this before, but i think people mistake playing at pace and under control with not being quick or fast.
he's quick and fast enough. he has an excellent handle, very economical. has excellent change of speed/direction. knows how to come off of ball screens. i think he lulls people to sleep with how calm he is...apparently even viewers. he gets to where he wants to go.

Lack of length not a concern? I also expect him to rank near the bottom on metrics like DRAPM.

6'5 is pretty normal for a 6'1 PG. i had low expectations of him on the end of the floor, but he's actually fared better than i anticipated defensively. in hs he'd conserve energy, calling out switches unnecessarily and generally playing low energy on that end of the floor. his intensity has picked up, he anticipates well, has quick hands and economical footwork. he can still get wiped out by screens, but he's done a better job anticipating and slithering around picks. their back court defensively isnt great and size is an issue, but i think tyus has actually been the better defender b/t he and cook. he's small but at the very least i think he can be a disruptive help defender with his quick hands and anticipation.

Oh wow I read 6'2''-6'3'' somewhere but thats solid
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#803 » by E-Balla » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:16 pm

Marcus wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
in the NBA they'll run even more PnR than they do in college. not just ball screens, legit 2 man PnR which tyus is already proficient at.
furthermore, its not about how fast a player is, its how the player reacts on the move. if a player gets by his man, gets downhill off a secondary break or off a ball screen, he STILL will likely encounter a help defender or 2. is he still a triple threat on the move? can he make split decisions on the move? can he react properly and have the vision/coordination to make the proper play? is he a threat to score en route to the bucket? tyus is threat to pull up, he has a floater game with either hand, actually has a flopping game already and he drives to pass. countless times each game he beats his man en route to making a play because A: he's got excellent change of speed/direction. knows how to get his man leaning B: he's a threat to shoot from deep off the dribble, so he has to be played honestly C: when he gets a step on his man he knows how to maintain his advantage by angling into the defender. D: he knows how to properly set up and use ball screens.
i heard the same criticism of him coming out of HS and i never got it. he's fast in the open floor, even faster when you taking into account his hit ahead passes and was an excellent 1 on 1 player. you cant be an excellent 1 on 1 player at his size without quickness. its not like he was just bullying defenders at his size, even against HS comp.

In the open court Tyus is not fast for a 6-1 PG.

no player on the floor moves faster than the ball which is why Tyus uses kick ahead passes which ManRam mentioned earlier and if you watch Ty play you'll see its a major part to how Duke gets out in transition and into early offense. Nobody is saying there aren't valid concerns with Ty. Just saying his know how and IQ helps him to neutralize a good many of them. Basketball IQ can't just readily be dismissed because the elite athleticism isn't there.

True but guys like Conley and Lawson are fast enough to create fast breaks and run them by themselves.

Personally I think at his size you need elite speed and quickness to make it in the NBA but he could be the exception.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#804 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:24 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Marcus wrote:
E-Balla wrote:In the open court Tyus is not fast for a 6-1 PG.

no player on the floor moves faster than the ball which is why Tyus uses kick ahead passes which ManRam mentioned earlier and if you watch Ty play you'll see its a major part to how Duke gets out in transition and into early offense. Nobody is saying there aren't valid concerns with Ty. Just saying his know how and IQ helps him to neutralize a good many of them. Basketball IQ can't just readily be dismissed because the elite athleticism isn't there.

True but guys like Conley and Lawson are fast enough to create fast breaks and run them by themselves.

Personally I think at his size you need elite speed and quickness to make it in the NBA but he could be the exception.

Speed from guys like Conley and Lawson is nice to have for sure, i don't think its a necessity though to be successful.

Ty's a polarizing prospect, he's very love him or hate him depending on who you ask. I personally think the tools in his head help him overcome his lack of elite everywhere else time will tell though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#805 » by Mik317 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:34 pm

I like Tyus. It's just that history isn't on his side in terms of his NBA prospects. Could be a guy who is a better college player than NBA player. However, if he can defend at a satisfactory level and his jumper is legit...then at worst he could be a nice backup PG.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#806 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 pm

question regarding Tyus.

Who can you guys compare him to in terms of feel, IQ, and size that we've seen not make it in the league?

or are the statements regarding history just based on his measureables?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#807 » by djphan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:09 pm

a rich man's shane larkin....
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#808 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 pm

djphan wrote:a rich man's shane larkin....

had/has Tyus' bball IQ?
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#809 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:16 pm

im not asking for somebody to just name a little dude that plays PG and doesn't jump out the gym. im not asking for folks to just match measureables and say "that's the guy".

I'm saying give me a name that had/has a similar feel for the game and IQ but wasn't incredibly large or jumping out the gym that didn't/couldn't quite cut it in the league.
Watch More Basketball

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#810 » by No-Man » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 pm

In other news, LSU plays UK tonight, I hope we can see an upset and Mickey owning those UK overrated bigs.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#811 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Fischella wrote:In other news, LSU plays UK tonight, I hope we can see an upset and Mickey owning those UK overrated bigs.

i haven't seen Mickey yet this season. looking forward to that.
Watch More Basketball

djphan
Senior

Post#812 » by djphan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 pm

well feel for the game is kind of subjective... larkin comes to mind because it's recent.. he kinda looks him... same size... kinda plays like him...

if you wanna go way back for a notso good comp... bobby hurley... maybe mateen cleaves... tj ford.. jason williams... these aren't so perfect... so yeah i'll stick with larkin as a comp...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#813 » by Marcus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:06 am

djphan wrote:he kinda looks him...

something told me when you first said Larkin that this was a primary reason behind it.
Watch More Basketball

djphan
Senior

Post#814 » by djphan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 am

haha... well stat lines look very similar too... they are slightly different and tyus has better a/to ratio so that's a plus in his corner...

towns with an ok game... looks like we'll be seeing him with bigger minutes going forward...

jordan mickey is pretty nice i dunno why nobody mentions him as a prospect...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#815 » by Marcus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:29 am

Towns getting more minutes is good. Get a chance to see what he does when he's not playing in spurts.
Watch More Basketball

peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#816 » by peachbucket » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 am

How about Nash as a comp for Tyus. Anyone remember if he is as quick/fast as Nash was at Santa Clara?
djphan
Senior

Post#817 » by djphan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:30 am

nash didn't really become a real prospect until his senior year where he made across the board improvements... but tyus's numbers look good when compared to even nash's senior year... nash was bigger tho and just a better overall shooter...

tyus's blemishes are obviously his size and lack of overall athleticism.. same as nash... and like nash he will need to bring his 2p shooting % above 50%...
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#818 » by treefi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:47 am

djphan wrote:haha... well stat lines look very similar too... they are slightly different and tyus has better a/to ratio so that's a plus in his corner...

towns with an ok game... looks like we'll be seeing him with bigger minutes going forward...

jordan mickey is pretty nice i dunno why nobody mentions him as a prospect...

Mickey had a 20/20 game just a few games ago. Great shot-blocker. Not sure why he isn't an early 2nd round pick.. I could see a team falling in love with Mickey's game in the last 1st.

He's just undersized for the 4.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#819 » by treefi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:49 am

and yeah Towns is getting minutes lately and showing everyone why he could/should still be considered at #1.

This draft is STRONG at the top and DEEP through the mid 2nd round, imo..
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#820 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:51 am

Looking at the Towns doubters like :

Sam Hinkie crew.

Return to NBA Draft