Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Jaylen Brown 

Post#1 » by immortalone23 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2fvp3j6Bw4[/youtube]
What do you think of him? Who does he compare to? How good do you think he could be compared to Stanley Johnson, Wiggins ect?
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Jaylen Brown 

Post#2 » by Marcus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1313801&start=160

there's some back and forth on him on that page and throughout that thread.

Jaylen's a beast and could have been one of the first wings off the board this past June.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
immortalone23
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by immortalone23 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Marcus wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1313801&start=160

Jaylen's a beast and could have been one of the first wings off the board this past June.

Good looking! I was trying to find debate on him. How do you think he compares to AW?
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#4 » by Knighthonor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:54 pm

immortalone23 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2fvp3j6Bw4[/youtube]
What do you think of him? Who does he compare to? How good do you think he could be compared to Stanley Johnson, Wiggins ect?

wow thi guy seems legit...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Marcus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:12 pm

immortalone23 wrote:
Marcus wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1313801&start=160

Good looking! I was trying to find debate on him. How do you think he compares to AW?

I mentioned it on that page.

He's bigger, stronger, more aggressive than Drew showed at Kansas (Drew has been much more assertive in the SL), Jaylen has the tighter handle, not as explosive as Drew but pretty damn explosive in his own right. I don't think he's the defender Drew is right now but Jaylen definitely has the pitbull in him. I couldn't really see a lot seperating the 2 of them around draft day. Obviously I still wanna see what Jaylen does on the collegiate level, but i don't think there's any question about him being able to handle it.

He's played against guy 3-5 years his senior at the Eurocamp and was reported to be the most physically imposing amongst all the players out there. Didn't allow Durant to back him down at KD's camp,his skillset is expanding, stamina needs work, focus needs work, could be more of a creator, and is still working on his handle a bit.

I think the kid is nice, not as good as Josh Jackson is, but pretty damn good.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
immortalone23
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by immortalone23 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Marcus wrote:
immortalone23 wrote:

I mentioned it on that page.

He's bigger, stronger, more aggressive than Drew showed at Kansas (Drew has been much more assertive in the SL), Jaylen has the tighter handle, not as explosive as Drew but pretty damn explosive in his own right. I don't think he's the defender Drew is right now but Jaylen definitely has the pitbull in him. I couldn't really see a lot seperating the 2 of them around draft day. Obviously I still wanna see what Jaylen does on the collegiate level, but i don't think there's any question about him being able to handle it.

He's played against guy 3-5 years his senior at the Eurocamp and was reported to be the most physically imposing amongst all the players out there. Didn't allow Durant to back him down at KD's camp,his skillset is expanding, stamina needs work, focus needs work, could be more of a creator, and is still working on his handle a bit.

I think the kid is nice, not as good as Josh Jackson is, but pretty damn good.

I like Josh Jackson a lot! This is the best time for NBA teams to be bad(2015, 2016, 2017).
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Marcus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:33 pm

yeah there should be a strong influx of talent coming into the league over the next few years. Next year should bring a lot of bigs. the year after that could bring in some more quality talent and then the freak class with Thon & Josh (if they don't reclass) Dennis Smith Jr., Derryck Thornton, Malik Monk, Harry Giles if the knee fully recovers, and Udoka Azubuike could be another very good big if he continues to improve his game.
Watch More Basketball

JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#8 » by JustMagic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:19 pm

What's the deal with all the american prospects being older than their class?

I mean, in this case Brown was born in 96. All over the world kids same age finished HS a month ago.
Is it intentional that they repeat a grade so that they will look bigger and stronger compared to their class, which is a year younger?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:42 pm

JustMagic wrote:What's the deal with all the american prospects being older than their class?

I mean, in this case Brown was born in 96. All over the world kids same age finished HS a month ago.
Is it intentional that they repeat a grade so that they will look bigger and stronger compared to their class, which is a year younger?

jaylen won't turn 18 until october. graduating when you're 18 is perfectly normal.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:22 pm

ManualRam wrote:
JustMagic wrote:What's the deal with all the american prospects being older than their class?

jaylen won't turn 18 until october. graduating when you're 18 is perfectly normal.

quick sidenote question for you:

How you like how your Bulls look this year?
Watch More Basketball

JustMagic
Senior

Post#11 » by JustMagic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 pm

ManualRam wrote:

OK, in his case he's only 2-3 months older, but what about other players? I see many American prospects being atleast a year older.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by immortalone23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 pm

JustMagic wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

OK, in his case he's only 2-3 months older, but what about other players? I see many American prospects being atleast a year older.

Well some players reclassify. For example Andrew Wiggins had to repeat a grade in middle school. This made him a year older than his competition and thus he looked better. Later in high school, he "reclassified" back into his original grade.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 pm

speaking of reclassifying Josh Jackson's mom said he's staying in the 2016 class.
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Marcus wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

quick sidenote question for you:

How you like how your Bulls look this year?

i think they're in the same position that they were in last yr. they're contenders on paper, but their contender status is dependent on the health of derrick. i like some of their moves, ambivalent towards others. missing out on melo doesn't bother me. i would've rather put the full court press on acquiring love. the pau acquisition isn't exciting but he's a bargain and provides big man depth and a better option than boozer. i'm more anxious to see the impact of the shooters on the bulls' offense than seeing pau's impact. luckily with all the added offense, derrick doesn't have to be mvp rose. if he's 80-85% of what he was his mvp season then the bulls should be the east favorites. i'd actually prefer if he didn't play like mvp rose aka someone who has to do everything himself offensively. i'd be perfectly fine with high teens scoring, better efficiency, solid D and better running of the offense from derrick.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#15 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Marcus wrote:speaking of reclassifying Josh Jackson's mom said he's staying in the 2016 class.

Damn shame. These scouts need to revamp their rankings based on age, not class but then schools like UM couldn't sneak really young gems while blue bloods go after 19 and 20 year old freshman.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 pm

JustMagic wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

this article should answer all your questions.
http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boysbas ... et_an.html

players aren't being held back because they have to (like wiggins, he didn't have to repeat. he and his family chose to). they're being held back because they can. they gain a physical advantage, they get an extra yr of preparation for HS so they're better prepared to hit the ground running. you hit the ground running as a freshman = more hype. more hype = super high rankings. once the hype is established, some reclassify in their original class. others don't.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 pm

ManualRam wrote:i think they're in the same position that they were in last yr. they're contenders on paper, but their contender status is dependent on the health of derrick. i like some of their moves, ambivalent towards others. missing out on melo doesn't bother me. i would've rather put the full court press on acquiring love. the pau acquisition isn't exciting but he's a bargain and provides big man depth and a better option than boozer. i'm more anxious to see the impact of the shooters on the bulls' offense than seeing pau's impact. luckily with all the added offense, derrick doesn't have to be mvp rose. if he's 80-85% of what he was his mvp season then the bulls should be the east favorites. i'd actually prefer if he didn't play like mvp rose aka someone who has to do everything himself offensively. i'd be perfectly fine with high teens scoring, better efficiency, solid D and better running of the offense from derrick.

yeah was also thinking with the extra shooting, movement, and big man passing around him now he can take the cape off and downshift a couple gears. Hopefully that's what he does, im still worried about kiddo's confidence, shaky in the beginning is fine. but i'd hate for it to be completely shot.
Watch More Basketball

JustMagic
Senior

Post#18 » by JustMagic » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:17 am

ManualRam wrote:
JustMagic wrote:
ManualRam wrote:jaylen won't turn 18 until october. graduating when you're 18 is perfectly normal.

this article should answer all your questions.
http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boysbas ... et_an.html

players aren't being held back because they have to (like wiggins, he didn't have to repeat. he and his family chose to). they're being held back because they can. they gain a physical advantage, they get an extra yr of preparation for HS so they're better prepared to hit the ground running. you hit the ground running as a freshman = more hype. more hype = super high rankings. once the hype is established, some reclassify in their original class. others don't.

That's great, answered most of my question. Thanks.

Return to NBA Draft