Better NBA future: Cliff Alexander or Stanley Johnson?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Re: Better NBA future: Cliff Alexander or Stanley Johnson? 

Post#21 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:23 am

PoundTown wrote:Fair enough. Haven't seen much of Winslow. I will check him out. Love Stan as a player though. Really think he will be an effective player as a defender and 3rd option type on a good team. To me that is a 4-8 pick.

Any wings in this draft with solid number 1 or 2 go to guy potential?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#22 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
PoundTown wrote:Fair enough. Haven't seen much of Winslow. I will check him out. Love Stan as a player though. Really think he will be an effective player as a defender and 3rd option type on a good team. To me that is a 4-8 pick.

as the prospect list currently stands Kelly Oubre has the best shot at it. We'll see as the season goes on and kids emerge.

I don't know because i haven't seen as much as some of the others here on the board but it SOUNDS like Mario Hezonja might has a shot as well.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Marcus wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:

as the prospect list currently stands Kelly Oubre has the best shot at it. We'll see as the season goes on and kids emerge.

I don't know because i haven't seen as much as some of the others here on the board but it SOUNDS like Mario Hezonja might has a shot as well.

What about Stanley Johnson?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:59 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:What about Stanley Johnson?

as far as 1st or 2nd option i don't think he has the same potential as Oubre. I think Stan becomes more of your Kawhi Leonard type value player where he can get you buckets here and there off effort, transition, cuts to the basket, attacking closeouts with str8 line drives, and hittin open looks after good ball movement but might not necessarily be somebody you run offense through where as you can give him the ball and say "go get us points right now". Not saying Oubre is sure fire to be that guy either because im not big on Oubre but he has tools that might allow for him to have that ability going forward. Still think Stan is and perhaps remains the better overall player between the two. But like i said before that could be just because i'm not big on Oubre.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Marcus wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:What about Stanley Johnson?

as far as 1st or 2nd option i don't think he has the same potential as Oubre. I think Stan becomes more of your Kawhi Leonard type value player where he can get you buckets here and there off effort, transition, cuts to the basket, attacking closeouts with str8 line drives, and hittin open looks after good ball movement but might not necessarily be somebody you run offense through where as you can give him the ball and say "go get us points right now". Not saying Oubre is sure fire to be that guy either because im not big on Oubre but he has tools that might allow for him to have that ability going forward. Still think Stan is and perhaps remains the better overall player between the two. But like i said before that could be just because i'm not big on Oubre.

Let's say a longterm - rebuilding team like the 76ers with a nice young core of MCW, Saric, Noel and Embid, Looking to draft a serious talent on the wing especially in terms of scoring and two way potential star upside and had to chose between Johnson and Oubre ? Which one fits in their vision best especially with a core of 3 potential high caliber young front court players and a good true pg.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:24 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Let's say a longterm - rebuilding team like the 76ers with a nice young core of MCW, Saric, Noel and Embid, Looking to draft a serious talent on the wing especially in terms of scoring and two way potential star upside and had to chose between Johnson and Oubre ? Which one fits in their vision best especially with a core of 3 potential high caliber young front court players and a good true pg.

ManRam touched on this point in another thread involving Stanley and Oubre and i agree with his assesment that it would depend on how much time you had to wait.

for your scenario with the Sixers thinking long term, Embiid being out this year, Noel still getting his feet wet, MCW still learning the game and working through injuries, Saric not quite ready to come over for another year or two then i'd say Oubre. Sixers are taking their time and he fits in that mold idea wise since he'll be a project with high upside right along with the bulk of the names listed in that lineup.

For right now, plug a wing in today or a more short term dividends payed sooner rather than later Stan is your man. I think Stan could hit a NBA floor today and give quality minutes. He's the safer pick higher floor with a lower ceiling. comes across as a great team guy, winner, does any and everything you need to help you win. He is IMO one of those essential to a ring type guys that every championship team seems to have. Just a high quality player that gives you everything on the floor and just makes the right plays at the right time. Not really a takeover the game type of guy but a "we couldn't have won this chip without guys like him" type of guy.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Let's say a longterm - rebuilding team like the 76ers with a nice young core of MCW, Saric, Noel and Embid, Looking to draft a serious talent on the wing especially in terms of scoring and two way potential star upside and had to chose between Johnson and Oubre ? Which one fits in their vision best especially with a core of 3 potential high caliber young front court players and a good true pg.

for the record though IMHO i think if they had a shot at him Sixers take Mudiay before either one of them and try and work a 2 PG set before settling on which one makes the better fit.
Watch More Basketball

PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#28 » by PoundTown » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Marcus wrote:

for the record though IMHO i think if they had a shot at him Sixers take Mudiay before either one of them and try and work a 2 PG set before settling on which one makes the better fit.

I think it would be in the sixers best interest to try and get another perimeter playmaker as well. They aren't in position to draft for need, first priority is talent. Although, perimeter threats are probably the most important to look to right now with two very talented pieces in Noel and Embiid.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#29 » by reignfire » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Do you guys think Alexander is comparable to Kenneth Faried?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Marcus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:02 pm

reignfire wrote:Do you guys think Alexander is comparable to Kenneth Faried?

maybe just in terms of energy.
Watch More Basketball

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#31 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Nov 2, 2014 3:56 pm

I never liked Cliff Alexander, I feel like I've seen his story a million times, and they usually end up as busts.

Stanley Johnson, I really love. I think he'll be a great player. He can pretty much do it all at a pretty good level. I think he is overrated as a defender, but I think he will still be good there. Most of all, Johnson I think has a very good basketball mind, he will train to do what is necessary to win games.

Behind Mudiay, Johnson is my go to perimeter pick. Alexander, I am not even thinking about in the lottery.

Return to NBA Draft