Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Mudiay Injured And Could Be Cut 

Post#1 » by MCDubbin » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:21 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/5/7 ... -age-limit

if he is cut, do you think his draft stock falls considerably?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Re: Mudiay Injured And Could Be Cut 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:29 pm

Not in the slightest. Mudiay proved he could play professionally. Mission accomplished. A 4 week injury changes nothing.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#3 » by noobcake » Fri Dec 5, 2014 6:45 pm

Mudiay reminds me of Exum's situation. No college play is going to hurt his stock dearly nearing the draft.

In before some moron makes that argument that Mudiay has plenty of high school tape. Plenty of high RSCI prospects wilt under the pressure and competition of college (See Josh Selby, Harrison Barnes, Quincy Miller, James Michael McAdoo)
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#4 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 6:52 pm

noobcake wrote:Mudiay reminds me of Exum's situation. No college play is going to hurt his stock dearly nearing the draft.

In before some moron makes that argument that Mudiay has plenty of high school tape. Plenty of high RSCI prospects wilt under the pressure and competition of college (See Josh Selby, Harrison Barnes, Quincy Miller, James Michael McAdoo)

He has plenty of professional tape. He was having an excellent season in China before this injury. I don't see his stock falling at all. Those guys you listed didn't average 19,6,6 in a professional league. The Chinese league is a high level than college basketball, and he was playing very well there.
MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Post#5 » by MCDubbin » Fri Dec 5, 2014 7:17 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
noobcake wrote:Mudiay reminds me of Exum's situation. No college play is going to hurt his stock dearly nearing the draft.

He has plenty of professional tape. He was having an excellent season in China before this injury. I don't see his stock falling at all. Those guys you listed didn't average 19,6,6 in a professional league. The Chinese league is a high level than college basketball, and he was playing very well there.

this is very debatable. You have washed up old NBA players that can't make a team in the NBA that is avging 20 ppg over there
noobcake
Banned User

Post#6 » by noobcake » Fri Dec 5, 2014 8:08 pm

MCDubbin wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

this is very debatable. You have washed up old NBA players that can't make a team in the NBA that is avging 20 ppg over there

I agree. Top 25 college basketball is at least one or two tiers higher than CBA.

Shavlik Randolph, 2.4 PPG over 10 NBA seasons was the scoring champion during the last year...

37 year old Stephan Marbury is like Michael Jordan there...

Mudiay's 19/6/6 is practically worthless.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#7 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 8:09 pm

MCDubbin wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

It's not the NBA, but the level of play is definitely higher than college basketball. Even if it is considered on par, Mudiay was still playing exceptionally well. His draft stick ain't going anywhere. But, if dumb teams want to let him for to Orlando, I'll be plenty happy about it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 5, 2014 8:37 pm

noobcake wrote:
MCDubbin wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

I agree. Top 25 college basketball is at least one or two tiers higher than CBA.

Shavlik Randolph, 2.4 PPG over 10 NBA seasons was the scoring champion during the last year...

37 year old Stephan Marbury is like Michael Jordan there...

Mudiay's 19/6/6 is practically worthless.

Facts are right, but conclusion is wrong, imo. It's like decent college ball. Grown men effect offsets lack of talent.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#9 » by mattg » Fri Dec 5, 2014 8:46 pm

Shavlick Randolph started for duke a decade ago. You don't think he'd be a really good college player after 10 more years of playing pro basketball? Chinese league isn't that good because it's unorganized and the coaching is weak, but there is definitely some talent and it's grown men. Is it ideal? No, but teams take kids who were poorly coached in college all the time. Talent is talent.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#10 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 9:23 pm

Can he be picked up Undrafted by a NBA team?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#11 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 9:35 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Can he be picked up Undrafted by a NBA team?

No.
noobcake
Banned User

Post#12 » by noobcake » Fri Dec 5, 2014 9:36 pm

mattg wrote:Shavlick Randolph started for duke a decade ago. You don't think he'd be a really good college player after 10 more years of playing pro basketball? Chinese league isn't that good because it's unorganized and the coaching is weak, but there is definitely some talent and it's grown men. Is it ideal? No, but teams take kids who were poorly coached in college all the time. Talent is talent.

The point is that someone who never cracked 5 PPG in the NBA was the scoring leader in the CBA. That speaks volumes to the quality of the 19/6/6 he is putting up.

Shavlick Randolph averaged 4.4 PPG during his final year at Duke. He probably got way better after a decade in the NBA. But you got to back transform his CBA stats to NBA stats.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#13 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 9:53 pm

noobcake wrote:
mattg wrote:Shavlick Randolph started for duke a decade ago. You don't think he'd be a really good college player after 10 more years of playing pro basketball? Chinese league isn't that good because it's unorganized and the coaching is weak, but there is definitely some talent and it's grown men. Is it ideal? No, but teams take kids who were poorly coached in college all the time. Talent is talent.

The point is that someone who never cracked 5 PPG in the NBA was the scoring leader in the CBA. That speaks volumes to the quality of the 19/6/6 he is putting up.

Shavlick Randolph averaged 4.4 PPG during his final year at Duke. He probably got way better after a decade in the NBA. But you got to back transform his CBA stats to NBA stats.

No one is saying the league is on par with the NBA, but it is definitely a higher level than college basketball (outside of the handful of draft factories like Duke and Kentucky).
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#14 » by bigboi » Fri Dec 5, 2014 11:51 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
noobcake wrote:

No one is saying the league is on par with the NBA, but it is definitely a higher level than college basketball (outside of the handful of draft factories like Duke and Kentucky).

No, it isn't at all. The Chinese league is absolutely terrible, it's on par or might even worse than the D league. College ball is way ahead of it, that being said, I still think Mudiay will be a beast
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#15 » by Cammo101 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:10 pm

bigboi wrote:No, it isn't at all. The Chinese league is absolutely terrible, it's on par or might even worse than the D league. College ball is way ahead of it, that being said, I still think Mudiay will be a beast

The D-League is a higher level than college ball as well. The D-League is literally a minor league system for the NBA. By it's very nature it is a higher level than college ball.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:36 pm

the talent level is higher in d-league than college but the quality of play is awful. at least in high level college ball they play defense, have better team play and there are more pressurized situations.
the d-league still has a pro-am feel to their games.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#17 » by EricAnderson » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:48 pm

Exum for the most part was predicted to go around 3 or 4 and he went 5th it didn't exactly destroy his stock
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#18 » by reanimator » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:56 pm

I said he should pull an Exum a long time ago *shrugs*
noobcake
Banned User

Post#19 » by noobcake » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:14 pm

EricAnderson wrote:

Exum for the most part was predicted to go around 3 or 4 and he went 5th it didn't exactly destroy his stock

No, that is not my point. I'm not saying Exum hurt his own stock by not playing in the US.

I'm trying to say that the lack of a 30 game college season, playing against CBA scrubs, is going to scare GM away from drafting him (high) because GMs will have Exum on their minds. Playing against third/fourth tier competition can make most NBA lotto picks look really impressive.

Dante Exum hasn't exactly lit NBA on fire. 4.5 PPG/2.1 APG in 18 minutes on 7.4 PER.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#20 » by reanimator » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:42 pm

noobcake wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:

No, that is not my point. I'm not saying Exum hurt his own stock by not playing in the US.

I'm trying to say that the lack of a 30 game college season, playing against CBA scrubs, is going to scare GM away from drafting him (high) because GMs will have Exum on their minds. Playing against third/fourth tier competition can make most NBA lotto picks look really impressive.

Dante Exum hasn't exactly lit NBA on fire. 4.5 PPG/2.1 APG in 18 minutes on 7.4 PER.

This is a silly post. No rookie has " lit NBA on fire."

Return to NBA Draft