Justin Anderson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Re: Justin Anderson 

Post#61 » by J_Ray » Mon Jun 1, 2015 5:00 pm

Fischella wrote:Comparing Anderson with Winslow is like comparing PJ Tucker with Butler or Leonard.

All that is essentially saying is one guy can create his own shot and the other can't. Not a big deal when guys are projected about 15 picks apart.
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#62 » by E-Balla » Mon Jun 1, 2015 5:24 pm

Zordor wrote:
djthesonicsfan wrote:Here's a question that perhaps some of you east coast guys could answer. How would you specifically compare Anderson to Winslow considering such factors as size, athleticism, length, motor, bball IQ, passion for the game, coachability, shooting, handle, creating for others, leadership, mental toughness, age and anything else you think is notable?

Winslow is the better player, there is a chance he could be a poor man's lebron in the long term, that being said, he has some deficiencies he got exposed at the combine and is definitely going to have to step his game up at the NBA level. That being said, watching both Duke and UVA play a lot, Winslow is the reason I have always thought Okafor was a bit overrated (still a top 5-10 talent, just overrated) I could see Winslow slipping in the draft a bit, but I feel like he was the true lifeblood behind the duke team this year.

Anderson is different, he is a guy who was highly touted out of highschool, got to UVA and rather flopped his first season because of ego, so playing behind Joe Harris the first 2 seasons he had to learn humility, teamwork and BBIQ, but Anderson still has that ability he had out of highschool, just without the ego and he has sharpened his skills.

Both Players will end up most likely going lower than their talent level, but:
Team player: advantage Anderson
Ball handling: advantage Winslow
Team Defense: advantage Anderson
1 on 1 Defense: advantage Winslow
Athleticism: some will disagree but I say its equal
Shooting: advantage Winslow
Potential: Advantage Winslow
BBIQ: Advantage Anderson
Ego: bout Equal
Injury Concerns: Advantage Winslow
Coachability: advantage Anderson
Creating for others: Actually have to say Winslow, like I said, I think he made Okafor a top 1-2 guy
Leadership: I think Winslow can be called to lead if he is the best guy on the team but I have to give it to Anderson who can be a great leader in the starting unit or off the bench even if he isnt the best player on the team.

Basically Anderson and Winslow are 2 different types of players, Winslow can be a complimentary piece on a good team as we saw with Okafor, but I believe he thrives as the #1 option and can play at an All Star Level on any team, Anderson is a guy who is great within the team concept and a good #3rd option or even 6th man, if he is on a bad team or gets very little playing time, he is not going to do well, but if he gets a team who have good supporting pieces or a superstar and he is given ample minutes, he could easily be a legit x factor on a team, but probably not an all star

Yeah this is pretty far off. I get that you like Winslow but he wasn't even the 3rd option at Duke and he was under Quinn, Tyus, and Jahlil in minutes and role. How can you say with a straight face that he was the lifeblood behind the team?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#63 » by Marcus » Mon Jun 1, 2015 5:55 pm

what is this growing consensus that Justise made Jah better about?

Did he cover up some defensive mistakes? sure.

But if it is and has been common knowledge that Jah struggles on defense in space, if its been talked about and written about at nausea, and he's still considered top 2 on most boards around the league and hasn't really dipped past there from his first Bluedevil game till now.

How does that make Justise the reason behind it?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Zordor
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#64 » by Zordor » Mon Jun 1, 2015 7:30 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Zordor wrote:
djthesonicsfan wrote:Here's a question that perhaps some of you east coast guys could answer. How would you specifically compare Anderson to Winslow considering such factors as size, athleticism, length, motor, bball IQ, passion for the game, coachability, shooting, handle, creating for others, leadership, mental toughness, age and anything else you think is notable?

Winslow is the better player, there is a chance he could be a poor man's lebron in the long term, that being said, he has some deficiencies he got exposed at the combine and is definitely going to have to step his game up at the NBA level. That being said, watching both Duke and UVA play a lot, Winslow is the reason I have always thought Okafor was a bit overrated (still a top 5-10 talent, just overrated) I could see Winslow slipping in the draft a bit, but I feel like he was the true lifeblood behind the duke team this year.

Anderson is different, he is a guy who was highly touted out of highschool, got to UVA and rather flopped his first season because of ego, so playing behind Joe Harris the first 2 seasons he had to learn humility, teamwork and BBIQ, but Anderson still has that ability he had out of highschool, just without the ego and he has sharpened his skills.

Creating for others: Actually have to say Winslow, like I said, I think he made Okafor a top 1-2 guy
Leadership: I think Winslow can be called to lead if he is the best guy on the team but I have to give it to Anderson who can be a great leader in the starting unit or off the bench even if he isnt the best player on the team.

Basically Anderson and Winslow are 2 different types of players, Winslow can be a complimentary piece on a good team as we saw with Okafor, but I believe he thrives as the #1 option and can play at an All Star Level on any team, Anderson is a guy who is great within the team concept and a good #3rd option or even 6th man, if he is on a bad team or gets very little playing time, he is not going to do well, but if he gets a team who have good supporting pieces or a superstar and he is given ample minutes, he could easily be a legit x factor on a team, but probably not an all star

Yeah this is pretty far off. I get that you like Winslow but he wasn't even the 3rd option at Duke and he was under Quinn, Tyus, and Jahlil in minutes and role. How can you say with a straight face that he was the lifeblood behind the team?

I am actually a UVA fan as college basketball goes and am not very high on Winslow at all, but I have to concede just what I saw when I watched him. As for far off, maybe the first year in the league I think they might each contribute about the same to whatever team they end up on, but I think Winslow will have a definite late bloomer effect, I dont know that I would put him on the level of Jabari Parker (even though Jabari did get hurt) , but I would put him fairly close.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#65 » by 165bows » Mon Jun 1, 2015 9:36 pm

Anderson showing a little spunk in the Celtics workout today. Stated that Dekker was supposed to be there then backed out, and also said he didn't need to be 'hid' on offense like some of the other guys at the workout (which included RHJ and Brandon Dawson).

Gotta like a little trash talk.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#66 » by E-Balla » Mon Jun 1, 2015 9:50 pm

Zordor wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Zordor wrote:

I am actually a UVA fan as college basketball goes and am not very high on Winslow at all, but I have to concede just what I saw when I watched him. As for far off, maybe the first year in the league I think they might each contribute about the same to whatever team they end up on, but I think Winslow will have a definite late bloomer effect, I dont know that I would put him on the level of Jabari Parker (even though Jabari did get hurt) , but I would put him fairly close.

How are you not high on him? High on him means you think higher of him than most and from reading your post you think he's the lifeblood of a national champion so you clearly are higher on him than most. Then you said he's on the level of Jabari Parker? Jabari nearly had the same per game averages as Justise in his first 25 career games. He's on a whole different level than Justise. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read posts on Justise. Who is this player you were watching because it can't be Justise.
J_Ray
Pro Prospect

Post#67 » by J_Ray » Mon Jun 1, 2015 11:07 pm

165bows wrote:Anderson showing a little spunk in the Celtics workout today. Stated that Dekker was supposed to be there then backed out, and also said he didn't need to be 'hid' on offense like some of the other guys at the workout (which included RHJ and Brandon Dawson).

Anderson is workout warrior type, I wouldn't want to risk my stock facing him either. Smart move by Dekker. I think Anderson and RHJ have been working out together at Impact, so I'm sure they've gotten to know each other's game quite well.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#68 » by Jajwanda » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:49 am

He has the ability to shoot off of screens. That's very different than your average 3 and D guy who sits in a corner. He's a perfect off-ball SF for this era. I'd be shocked if the Lakers don't do everything they can to get him since he's such an ideal fit with the rest of their young guys.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#69 » by 165bows » Wed Jun 3, 2015 10:45 am

J_Ray wrote:
165bows wrote:Anderson showing a little spunk in the Celtics workout today. Stated that Dekker was supposed to be there then backed out, and also said he didn't need to be 'hid' on offense like some of the other guys at the workout (which included RHJ and Brandon Dawson).

Anderson is workout warrior type, I wouldn't want to risk my stock facing him either. Smart move by Dekker. I think Anderson and RHJ have been working out together at Impact, so I'm sure they've gotten to know each other's game quite well.

Interesting. B. Dawson was there so could have been him in the mix for that too.

Austin Ainge called the workout a 'bloodbath,' wish there was video lol.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,902

Post#70 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jun 3, 2015 10:42 pm

Anderson is going to be a colossal bust. Once NBA games starts, all anyone's going to ask is why can't he dribble a basketball.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,275

Post#71 » by mademan » Wed Jun 3, 2015 10:51 pm

Jajwanda wrote:He has the ability to shoot off of screens. That's very different than your average 3 and D guy who sits in a corner. He's a perfect off-ball SF for this era. I'd be shocked if the Lakers don't do everything they can to get him since he's such an ideal fit with the rest of their young guys.

He's a high character 3+D player who's likely capable of contributing right now. A lot of contenders drafting in the 20's (where he'll prolly go) are gonna love him (CLE/CHI/MEM/SAS). I dont think he'll fall to 27
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#72 » by yitur » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:04 pm

mademan wrote:
Jajwanda wrote:He has the ability to shoot off of screens. That's very different than your average 3 and D guy who sits in a corner. He's a perfect off-ball SF for this era. I'd be shocked if the Lakers don't do everything they can to get him since he's such an ideal fit with the rest of their young guys.

He's a high character 3+D player who's likely capable of contributing right now. A lot of contenders drafting in the 20's (where he'll prolly go) are gonna love him (CLE/CHI/MEM/SAS). I dont think he'll fall to 27

That's why the Bulls trade rumors started I guess. 27+34 for 22 and the pick would be Justin Anderson if he isn't picked.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#73 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:43 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Anderson is going to be a colossal bust. Once NBA games starts, all anyone's going to ask is why can't he dribble a basketball.

McLemore couldn't dribble the ball either. Same with Shabazz Muhammad. McLemore has been good and even Shabazz has been successful playing without being able to dribble. If you're a wing and you can shoot and defend, you'll be fine.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#74 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:49 pm

Muhammad is terrific on the block for his size, he has great lower body strength and tremendous instincts downlow.
McLemore has an amazing stroke, natural floor game, he floats, he is much more fluid offensively than Anderson, even though he is still kind of clumsy with the ball.
J_Ray
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by J_Ray » Thu Jun 4, 2015 1:27 am

Fischella wrote:Muhammad is terrific on the block for his size, he has great lower body strength and tremendous instincts downlow.
McLemore has an amazing stroke, natural floor game, he floats, he is much more fluid offensively than Anderson, even though he is still kind of clumsy with the ball.

The bigger point was it is not necessary to be a great ball handler if you can put the ball in the hoop. Anderson is being drafted to play D and knock down catch n' shoot opportunities with the occasional finish at the rim. By no means will he be mistaken as a top ISO option.
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#76 » by ferk » Sun Jun 7, 2015 4:21 am

Reminds me of Pondexter .
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#77 » by djthesonicsfan » Tue Jun 9, 2015 7:58 pm

He's a lot stronger than Pondexter. But they both worked on their games while in college.

What I'm noticing about Anderson is his maturity and commitment to development. He's got plus NBA length/strength/athleticism. And he's already demonstrated improvement (3pt%) and that he's all about winning (Virginia was awesome until he got hurt). I'm thinking this kid is going to be good. Real good. I'm still leaning toward Booker because he's got such a fantastic stroke, but if I'm Presti & Booker's already gone, no doubt that I would take Anderson at #14.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#78 » by SaintofKillers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:07 am

Dallas just drafted him.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#79 » by SaintofKillers » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLf0hA638dY

Justin's first SL game and his handles look really good here. It's not just straight line drives, he had a behind the back dribble on one possession.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#80 » by Upperclass » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm sorry.. his handle is still poor. he's just so damn athletic. Looks like Corey Maggette to me

Return to NBA Draft