Devin Booker

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Devin Booker 

Post#61 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 pm

youngthegiant wrote:Definitely not Klay Thompson. Redick is fair...I'm worried about his size, his numbers look similar to Doron Lamb....and Lam is out of the league.

He's bigger than Lamb and more athletic. The potential is there if he learns to create his own shot and commits on defense.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#62 » by CaliBullsFan » Sun Apr 5, 2015 2:38 am

Booker is a bigger Brad Beal
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#63 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 5, 2015 7:10 am

Marcus wrote:I posed this question in another thread and nobody responded so i'll ask here since the topic is Devin Booker.

What's the difference between what Booker brings to the table and what RJ Hunter brings to the table? Are we seeing Booker as more than just a lights out shooter at the next level? I would argue that their roles in the league will be similar. So what makes Booker's more viable than Hunter's or are folks here of a different mindset in regards to what these 2 kids can or will be at the next level?

Book has a better NBA body, he is more athletic and he is younger.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 5, 2015 7:21 am

Marcus wrote:Been seeing a lot of JJ Redick comps for Booker. How does that sit with the board vice Klay Thompson?

His ceiling is Klay, his middle is Belinelli, Green, or Redick, his floor is bust.

He could be an instant success like Klay, but like Green and Belinelli, it might take him a while to finally find his place in the NBA, but still, he has the tools to succeed in today's NBA game.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 5, 2015 7:26 am

reanimator wrote:He is more Stauskas/Belinelli than Klay imo but he is young. I'd personally want to see him a bigger role before risking a late lotto pick on him but that will never happen at UK.

Belinelli is a very good NBA player today on a very good team.

I'm not a fan of Stauskas, but the Kings are a really bad team, with bad management, with even worst coaching, i don't want to judge the guy with just his rookie season. His skills were good enough to make him an early lottery pick, so that tells you how important NBA coaches see shooting now a days.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#66 » by DirtyDez » Sun Apr 5, 2015 8:25 am

The Twins had their moments but I'm ready for a full time backcourt of Ulis-Booker next year. Hope it happens cause Booker isn't a lotto lock atm.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
jmomcc
Junior
And1: 220

Post#67 » by jmomcc » Sun Apr 5, 2015 11:01 am

If I am the twins, I stay in school and work on being knockdown 3 point shooters. That and only that gets them to a second contract imo and they might not get the chance to develop that in the NBA.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#68 » by SlowPaced » Sun Apr 5, 2015 11:27 am

If Booker improves his ball handling further (he can dribble with both hands which means there's upside) and learn to utilize his jumper on his drives he can be Klay Thompson-lite. The potential is there. He's more of a J.J. Redick right now, needs to stay one more year at college.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#69 » by LloydFree » Sun Apr 5, 2015 11:53 am

SlowPaced wrote:If Booker improves his ball handling further (he can dribble with both hands which means there's upside) and learn to utilize his jumper on his drives he can be Klay Thompson-lite. The potential is there. He's more of a J.J. Redick right now, needs to stay one more year at college.

He can be Klay Thompson if his arms suddenly grow 3 inches.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#70 » by SlowPaced » Sun Apr 5, 2015 12:35 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:If Booker improves his ball handling further (he can dribble with both hands which means there's upside) and learn to utilize his jumper on his drives he can be Klay Thompson-lite. The potential is there. He's more of a J.J. Redick right now, needs to stay one more year at college.

I said Klay Thompson-lite.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#71 » by LloydFree » Sun Apr 5, 2015 12:43 pm

LloydFree wrote:

That's not how it works. SG's with 6'6 wingspans sit on the bench. He's not going to be Klay Thompson-lite. JJ Reddick is one the greatest shooters in history, and it took him 5 years to get off the bench.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#72 » by SlowPaced » Sun Apr 5, 2015 12:47 pm

LloydFree wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

That's not how it works. SG's with 6'6 wingspans sit on the bench. He's not going to be Klay Thompson-lite. JJ Reddick is one the greatest shooters in history, and it took him 5 years to get off the bench.

Monta Ellis is 6'3'' and has a wingspan of 6'3''. He starts as a SG in the league. Terrence Ross is 6'7'' and has a wingspan of 6'7''. Starts as a SF. It's not as clear cut as you put it. Booker has solid foundation on defense, if he improves on it his impact can reach Klay Thompson-lite levels. I'm not saying he'll be a clone of him. Klay Thompson is popular comparison for him hence I adressed the issue.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#73 » by LloydFree » Sun Apr 5, 2015 12:52 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
LloydFree wrote:He can be Klay Thompson if his arms suddenly grow 3 inches.

Monta Ellis is 6'3'' and has a wingspan of 6'3''. He starts as a SG in the league. Terrence Ross is 6'7'' and has a wingspan of 6'7''. Starts as a SF. It's not as clear cut as you put it. Booker has solid foundation on defense, if he improves on it his impact can reach Klay Thompson-lite levels. I'm not saying he'll be a clone of him. Klay Thompson is popular comparison for him hence I adressed the issue.

Devin Booker isn't close to the athlete that Monta Ellis is, and he doesn't have near the ball skills. Guys of his skill and physical level need length, to better defend and get their own shot off.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#74 » by sikma42 » Sun Apr 5, 2015 2:01 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
LloydFree wrote:He can be Klay Thompson if his arms suddenly grow 3 inches.

Booker actually looks very bad to me on defense. Slow footed laterally with bad length isnt gonna work at two guard. I'd stay far away from him in the lottery.
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#75 » by SlowPaced » Sun Apr 5, 2015 3:20 pm

I expect him to be closer to J.J. Redick in the NBA, Klay Thompson is a popular comparison for him and it's the only reason why I brought Klay up.

LloydFree wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:
LloydFree wrote:That's not how it works. SG's with 6'6 wingspans sit on the bench. He's not going to be Klay Thompson-lite. JJ Reddick is one the greatest shooters in history, and it took him 5 years to get off the bench.

Devin Booker isn't close to the athlete that Monta Ellis is, and he doesn't have near the ball skills. Guys of his skill and physical level need length, to better defend and get their own shot off.

I said Booker needs to upgrade his ball handling at my very first argument. Bringing up Monta's ball skills is a moot point. I never said he's similar to Klay, I said his impact can be similar to him in the future if he improves. I also never said he'd be good right away, making Redick needing 5 years to start another moot point.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#76 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Apr 5, 2015 3:28 pm

SlowPaced wrote:I expect him to be closer to J.J. Redick in the NBA, Klay Thompson is a popular comparison for him and it's the only reason why I brought Klay up.

did you see redick in college? he is perhaps the greatest shooter in ncaa history, and still had to adjust his game in the pros.

I said at the beginning of the season, and probably somewhere earlier in this thread. Booker is very close to ex wildcat doron lamb, though lamb didn't have much work ethic. both highly touted, undersized spot up shooters.

I can't believe i read somewhere here he is bradley beal, gtfoh. beal was an offensive OPTION at florida from the jump, very versatile GUARD with classic 2guard mannerisms/off the bounce stuff in the lane.

monta ellis plays basketball like he is a **** motorcycle he is so explosive. he would have averaged 25+ in college on any team( he averaged nearly 50 in hs, he is stuff of lore) booker is not. his game needs to grow, these are the kind of kids that need good coaching at lower levels than the nba. calipari is not good at player development or even in game coaching. he is a recruiting savant and exceptional at managing young players egos.
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#77 » by SlowPaced » Sun Apr 5, 2015 3:39 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:I expect him to be closer to J.J. Redick in the NBA, Klay Thompson is a popular comparison for him and it's the only reason why I brought Klay up.

did you see redick in college? he is perhaps the greatest shooter in ncaa history, and still had to adjust his game in the pros.

I did, yes. Redick had to adjust his game, does that mean Booker cannot adjust his game?

I'm not as high on Booker as other people are. I saw the comparisons to Klay and said that he has ways to go for that comparison. I personally don't think he'll ever reach that level. But Redick level is absolutely possible. Again, I'm NOT saying that he's at a Redick level as in his player quality right now. He's at a Redick level in terms of upside. He might reach it at some point.

I never compared him to Monta either. LloydFree flatly said that 6'6'' wingspan SGs are sitting on the bench. I pointed out that there are exceptions to his rule. Monta obviously has nothing in common with Booker.

Y'all mixing statements up and coming back with an unrelated point for some reason.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#78 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Apr 5, 2015 3:56 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

I did, yes. Redick had to adjust his game, does that mean Booker cannot adjust his game?

I'm not as high on Booker as other people are. I saw the comparisons to Klay and said that he has ways to go for that comparison. I personally don't think he'll ever reach that level. But Redick level is absolutely possible. Again, I'm NOT saying that he's at a Redick level as in his player quality right now. He's at a Redick level in terms of upside. He might reach it at some point.

I never compared him to Monta either. LloydFree flatly said that 6'6'' wingspan SGs are sitting on the bench. I pointed out that there are exceptions to his rule. Monta obviously has nothing in common with Booker.

Y'all mixing statements up and coming back with an unrelated point for some reason.

he can't adjust his game to become JJ, JJ is literally the greatest college shooter of all time. Nor can he adjust to be klay since they don't have similar frames or games really. just watch whole games from klays college days, his technique on offense was already high advanced. all i've seen from booker is transition buckets and open threes. sounds like doron lamb with an inch or two
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#79 » by SlowPaced » Sun Apr 5, 2015 4:01 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:did you see redick in college? he is perhaps the greatest shooter in ncaa history, and still had to adjust his game in the pros.

he can't adjust his game to become JJ, JJ is literally the greatest college shooter of all time. Nor can he adjust to be klay since they don't have similar frames or games really. just watch whole games from klays college days, his technique on offense was already high advanced. all i've seen from booker is transition buckets and open threes. sounds like doron lamb with an inch or two

Fair enough. I do think he'll turn out to be better than Doron Lamb in any case, though. Booker seems more open to improving.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,957

Post#80 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:05 pm

Half the reason people compare him to Klay Thompson is that they are both mixed and look kind of the same.

Return to NBA Draft