Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 76ers pick by need in this draft ? 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Ending up with Russell should be their number 1 priority this offseason.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#22 » by MinneOOPalis » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 am

They are gettting Russell, Mudiay, or Hezonja.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#23 » by brackdan70 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:20 am

wickedwrister wrote:
brackdan70 wrote::) Trade MCW and the Miami pick along with Richardson to NO for Holiday tonight (N.O. probably says no) :) . Draft Russell if available, if not then BPA. I don't see an issue with drafting another big though. chances are slim that both Noel and Embiid will turn into quality starters. Okafor or Towns would bring an offensive dimension and provide nice depth for the future. If all three turn out great then you have a solid trade chip if needed.

I should know better but......seriously "chances are slim that both Noel and Embiid will turn in to quality starters?!?!?" What is the basis of that? The collective impression of Embiid before the draft is that if he is able to stay healthy then he would be a franchise player. Noel is already in top tier of big men defenders. His offense will likely never be amazing but if you average 10 points a game and can provide shut down D on bigs while able to guard wings on pick and roll switches that sounds like a quality starter to me. He's already a quality starter and is just getting started.

Secondly I really like Holiday as a player and from the little I've seen of him this year he seems to be playing better than even during his all-star year here. That being said not sure the Sixers should be giving up MCW as well as the 15th pick in the draft for a guy making more money. You can pay MCW, the 15th pick and KJ McDaniels for the same cost.

look me up in 5 years and if Both Embiid and Noel are starters on a good team I'll eat crow. just saying the likelihood of both becoming quality starters is much less than the likelihood of one of them not. I put smiley faces on the MCW / Holiday comment...being a good natured troll. half joking about that, but I do believe the Sixers would have been better off with out making that trade. at some point the sixers will have to stop worrying about cost. yes MCW, the 15th pick and KJM are cheaper than Holiday...but will they ever contribute to winning as much as Holiday. i don't think so. I do like KJM though.
Sign here
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#24 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:35 am

I think they take BPA but ignore centers (no Okafor or Towns). I suppose if they think Towns can play a twin tower type of PF than he is fair game.

They should go forward with confidence that Embiid will be a relatively productive player. Noel is a good piece at this point, but he is someone they can trade if they were to have a clog jam.

MCW doesn't mean anything to Philly, he is the worst rookie of the year in over a decade probably, and he is quite expendable (evident by how Philly is always trying to trade him). I know Philly and Syracuse fans like to defend their guy, but MCW is a 3rd guard in the NBA, and even if I am wrong, he's most likely not a star. MCW should not make any difference in whether the Sixers pick a ball dominant player like Mudiay or D'Angello.

So to summerize, pass on Okafor and Towns (I don't think Towns is much of a PF prospect), and D'Angelo, Hezonja and Mudiay (in that order).
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,837

Post#25 » by Negrodamus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:12 am

My prediction:

Without looking at the current landscape of the draft, if we get a top 2 pick, I predict we entertain trade down offers. Talented big men are in high demand and there are two of them at the top of this draft. Since we are pretty much set in that regard, Hinkie will keep an eye on the future without reaching too far. Trade down with a team like Utah, select Hezonja and pocket a 2016 first rounder in the process... maybe more. Of course everything could play out differently and Utah might not even have a first rounder next year for all I know. I just know that if Hinkie isn't sold on Russell and doesn't believe in creating a logjam at the PF/C position, he will look to rob other teams in a trade.
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#26 » by Amish Mafioso » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:20 am

Negrodamus wrote:My prediction:

Without looking at the current landscape of the draft, if we get a top 2 pick, I predict we entertain trade down offers. Talented big men are in high demand and there are two of them at the top of this draft. Since we are pretty much set in that regard, Hinkie will keep an eye on the future without reaching too far. Trade down with a team like Utah, select Hezonja and pocket a 2016 first rounder in the process... maybe more. Of course everything could play out differently and Utah might not even have a first rounder next year for all I know. I just know that if Hinkie isn't sold on Russell and doesn't believe in creating a logjam at the PF/C position, he will look to rob other teams in a trade.

Barring injuries, Utah will probably draft somewhere 7-10 give or take. I think Utah would definitely be interested in trading up for Russell, but I seriously doubt Philly would do it. They will take Russell and run, IMO.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#27 » by wickedwrister » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:10 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
wickedwrister wrote:
brackdan70 wrote::) Trade MCW and the Miami pick along with Richardson to NO for Holiday tonight (N.O. probably says no) :) . Draft Russell if available, if not then BPA. I don't see an issue with drafting another big though. chances are slim that both Noel and Embiid will turn into quality starters. Okafor or Towns would bring an offensive dimension and provide nice depth for the future. If all three turn out great then you have a solid trade chip if needed.

I should know better but......seriously "chances are slim that both Noel and Embiid will turn in to quality starters?!?!?" What is the basis of that? The collective impression of Embiid before the draft is that if he is able to stay healthy then he would be a franchise player. Noel is already in top tier of big men defenders. His offense will likely never be amazing but if you average 10 points a game and can provide shut down D on bigs while able to guard wings on pick and roll switches that sounds like a quality starter to me. He's already a quality starter and is just getting started.

Secondly I really like Holiday as a player and from the little I've seen of him this year he seems to be playing better than even during his all-star year here. That being said not sure the Sixers should be giving up MCW as well as the 15th pick in the draft for a guy making more money. You can pay MCW, the 15th pick and KJ McDaniels for the same cost.

look me up in 5 years and if Both Embiid and Noel are starters on a good team I'll eat crow. just saying the likelihood of both becoming quality starters is much less than the likelihood of one of them not. I put smiley faces on the MCW / Holiday comment...being a good natured troll. half joking about that, but I do believe the Sixers would have been better off with out making that trade. at some point the sixers will have to stop worrying about cost. yes MCW, the 15th pick and KJM are cheaper than Holiday...but will they ever contribute to winning as much as Holiday. i don't think so. I do like KJM though.

Fair enough, gonna just have to agree to disagree.

The cumulative return on trading Holiday so far is Noel, Saric, Orlando's 2015 2nd and our own 2017 1st back. Plus helping the draft position last year and this year (difference between getting Embiid or Exum).

For a team looking to rebuild, it was a slam dunk have to do it trade.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,837

Post#28 » by Negrodamus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Amish Mafioso wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:My prediction:

Barring injuries, Utah will probably draft somewhere 7-10 give or take. I think Utah would definitely be interested in trading up for Russell, but I seriously doubt Philly would do it. They will take Russell and run, IMO.

True, but I'm saying in the event the board is not to Hinkie's liking (Russell goes 1 or 2 and we're sitting at 3). Then the Sixers have a chance at one of the two highly touted big men. I have to believe he'd trade down and continue grabbing assets for the future while grabbing a guy he sees as a stud in Hezonja.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#29 » by Mr Sixer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:52 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
wickedwrister wrote:

Well I think you're dumb... :)

Even if we totally put aside the fact that we got great return for Holiday, the trade put us in the position to get a top 3 pick in a loaded draft, which got us Embiid, our franchise player, which was the entire point of the rebuild.

And then lets just put that aside, and address your totally moronic comment about the sixers having to stop worrying about cost at some point. First of all, Hinkie does not make moves strictly to save costs, he made the move because he thought it was a great return in value. Cost is a determinant of this, because Jrue Holiday on a 4 year/12 mil contract is more valuable than Jrue Holiday on a 4 year/20 mil contract, as an example. Second of all, a smart GM always keeps cost in mind, unless they are truly a championship contender where they can afford to go over the cap, and even then they keep cost in mind, so I don't really see what you are getting at, at all. 3rd of all, I can't really think of another example where the sixers have been "worrying about cost" and we have only been "tanking" for 1 and a half seasons now, so this makes the entire nature of your "at some point" statement pretty absurd as well.

And just as the icing on the cake, I will address your last comment, "I do like KJM though". I am sure you have not seen many Sixers games this year, nor have an extensive knowledge of who could be picked with the 15th pick in the upcoming draft. So basically you are making a completely ridiculous post, based off of some highlight reel plays you have seen of a 2nd round pick rookie who has played only half of a season, and totally dismissing the reigning rookie of the year, as well as a pick that you have no clue about, but by definition is likely to have a higher ceiling than a player picked in the 2nd round.

Better luck next post.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I would like too see them with one of Russell or Johnson.
wickedwrister
Starter

Post#31 » by wickedwrister » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:08 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I would like too see them with one of Russell or Johnson.

My dream to end all dreams is that they grab Russell with their pick and then Johnson slips a little to the 10-12 range and they can use the Miami pick to move up and grab him. 10 man rotation of:

MCW/Russell/Wroten
Russell/McDaniels
Johnson/Covington/Grant
Noel/Saric/Grant
Embiid/Noel
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#32 » by MotownMadness » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:11 pm

wickedwrister wrote:

My dream to end all dreams is that they grab Russell with their pick and then Johnson slips a little to the 10-12 range and they can use the Miami pick to move up and grab him. 10 man rotation of:

MCW/Russell/Wroten
Russell/McDaniels
Johnson/Covington/Grant
Noel/Saric/Grant
Embiid/Noel

That would be sick but I can't see him slipping anywhere near that far. If so Pistons are all over that if we miss out on the playoffs.
wickedwrister
Starter

Post#33 » by wickedwrister » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
wickedwrister wrote:

MCW/Russell/Wroten
Russell/McDaniels
Johnson/Covington/Grant
Noel/Saric/Grant
Embiid/Noel

That would be sick but I can't see him slipping anywhere near that far. If so Pistons are all over that if we miss out on the playoffs.

I agree its unlikely but hey as a Sixers fan what else do I have besides dreaming of the future?

I actually think there is a decent chance the Pistons end up with Johnson. Chad Ford has him at 10 on his big board. I really feel that Ford just bases his rankings off what he hears from scouts etc and not on any of his own evaluations (nothing wrong with that, give access to fans on what professionals are thinking) so I think he will be available right around the Pistons pick depending how things shake out.

I think he should be a top 10 pick but I don't know if its a slam dunk at this point that he goes there. Still more likely he goes 5 instead of 12 but there's a chance.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#34 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:40 pm

I just want Hezonja. I need Hinkie to trade back into the top 10 to get him. If we get Towns or Russell or Johnson with our pick and then get Hezonja with Miami's pick I will be ecstatic.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#35 » by Bubstubbler » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:51 am

I think the right move is to take the bpa even if it's a center.

Even if Embiid and Okafor were perfectly healthy every game, that would be 24 mpg apiece at center. Now consider that they good enough and complementary enough to play well together (Embiid's a good enough mid-range and perimeter shooter that he can step out a bit to clear space for Okafor on offense, and he's mobile enough to smother most opposing pf's on defense), and it's easy to imagine them being on the court for 5 or 6 minutes per game, boosting them both up to around 30 mpg. Finally, consider that it's almost certain that they'll both miss some games (which will cause the healthy one to play more minutes), and it's realistic that they could both register 32-35 mpg for the season if their play warranted it.

Having 2 badass centers isn't a problem. Even if they immediately become the 2 best centers in the league, it still isn't a problem. They could still both get 35 mpg, and if Philly were to decide to trade one, they'd get a huge haul in return.

I'm hoping Philly gets either Okafor or Towns.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#36 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:
Talent Chaser wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:Whattttt . The disrespect towards Michael Carter Williams is getting a bit ridiculous . Having MCW is like " having nothing " really? I can't take what you say seriously because of that ridiculous statement.

Take a look at his numbers this year they are garbage. There is a reason he's consistently been floating around in trade rumors for a while now. Hinkie realizes that he isn't that good.

I think I'm going to trust my judgement rather than a Blazers fan who has probably seen MCW play once in his life, and makes his analysis on prospects based off of the fact that he has been "consistently been floating around in trade rumors" which for all that anyone knows could be totally false. MCW would be traded for Anthony Davis, or a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft, but that does not mean that he is not a good player.

By "his numbers" I'm assuming you are referring to his atrocious shooting numbers, which is undisputable, however his form is good, he is coming off offseason should surgery, and for a while we had no spacing and he was the only player who could create any offense so kept having to force up bad shots. Ever since the team has started gelling, until he got hurt (I have watched every game mind you), he has been taking way less shots and showing that he can be a true floor general, and he has shown he is not going to need to shoot as much when he has more firepower around him.

Is he going to significantly raise his bad shooting numbers? Probably not, because we are already halfway through the season, and him going 4/8 or 3/5 with 10 assists and 8 rebounds won't do wonders for his shooting averages on the season, but it will continue to prove to me that he is a very solid starting PG who is 6 6 and has the potential to be a part of our core moving forward, particularly with a backcourt partner that can shoot well and handle some of the ball distribution duties such as D'Angelo Russell

Lol
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#37 » by LloydFree » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

If the 76ers pick strictly by immediate need, the pick is D'angelo Russell. He can play SG or PG, and the 76ers have only had a SG (JRich) on the active roster for about 15 games this year, and will have none at the end of the year. For selfish reasons I'd love to see them select D'angelo Russell just because I enjoy watching him play. Watching Russell and Embiid for the next five years could be very enjoyable.

With all that said, selecting Karl Towns, someone who doesn't fill a 'need', would be the best move. Embiid and Towns would be a nightmare for the rest of the league for the next decade.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#38 » by Mr Sixer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:
Mr Sixer wrote:
Talent Chaser wrote:Take a look at his numbers this year they are garbage. There is a reason he's consistently been floating around in trade rumors for a while now. Hinkie realizes that he isn't that good.

I think I'm going to trust my judgement rather than a Blazers fan who has probably seen MCW play once in his life, and makes his analysis on prospects based off of the fact that he has been "consistently been floating around in trade rumors" which for all that anyone knows could be totally false. MCW would be traded for Anthony Davis, or a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft, but that does not mean that he is not a good player.

By "his numbers" I'm assuming you are referring to his atrocious shooting numbers, which is undisputable, however his form is good, he is coming off offseason should surgery, and for a while we had no spacing and he was the only player who could create any offense so kept having to force up bad shots. Ever since the team has started gelling, until he got hurt (I have watched every game mind you), he has been taking way less shots and showing that he can be a true floor general, and he has shown he is not going to need to shoot as much when he has more firepower around him.

Is he going to significantly raise his bad shooting numbers? Probably not, because we are already halfway through the season, and him going 4/8 or 3/5 with 10 assists and 8 rebounds won't do wonders for his shooting averages on the season, but it will continue to prove to me that he is a very solid starting PG who is 6 6 and has the potential to be a part of our core moving forward, particularly with a backcourt partner that can shoot well and handle some of the ball distribution duties such as D'Angelo Russell

Lol

I probably shouldn't even address this because I don't really care what your opinion of me as a poster is, nor am I going to reply to anything else you write because you're just a troll, but I still stand by basically everything I said in my post. I still think he is a good young prospect, who is a jumpshot away from becoming a stellar point guard, and at the very least could become a very good point guard if he learns to play a slashing, pass-first, floor general, defensive-minded kind of game.

He ended up getting traded for what will likely be a top 10 pick in next years draft, could even be top 5 with some luck, which is exactly what I said in my post, and like I said all he needs to do is fix a few things to become a very good player, and that should be easier to do with a better team around him. The only place my opinion has wavered since this original post is I am more pessimistic about his development as a player and disappointed in his progression this year, but he is still a nice young prospect.
I_amWEB
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#39 » by I_amWEB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Possibility that they trade down a few spots and still land Russell? If the 76's land with the #1 maybe trade down and snag a wing and still wind up with Russell would be great.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#40 » by Dcebucks11 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Mudiay or Towns imo.. Don't like the fit of Okafor and im not a fan of Russell in the top 3 to be honest.

Return to NBA Draft