Let's Talk Centers: Oak, Towns, Embiid, Noel, Upshaw

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

CelticOG
Ballboy
And1: 7

Let's Talk Centers: Oak, Towns, Embiid, Noel, Upshaw 

Post#1 » by CelticOG » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:25 pm

I'm curious how people rate Okafor and Towns Vs Embiid? And Upshaw vs everybody (particularly Noel)? Also if Upshaw had zero off court issues... where would he rate in this draft?

Thanks!
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Re: Let's Talk Centers: Oak, Towns, Embiid, Noel, Upshaw 

Post#2 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:41 pm

I really like Upshaw, too bad he has off court issues.. He's averaging 7 blocks per 40 before getting kicked off the team.. Pretty good, and he's got build on him at 255 lbs.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#3 » by Unbreakable99 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:43 pm

I don't know much about Upsahw so I won't address him. I think Embiid is the best prospect off all of them if healthy. Let's just assume Embiid is healthy for all intents and purposes. I know you can't really do that but I need to do that so I can make an accurate comparison if everyone is healthy. Okafor is the best scorer of all of them. He may even be a better scorer than Embiid for the first few years. I think Embiid's defense sets him apart from Okafor. I think Embiid and Towns are about the same defensively. Embiid hasn't played as long and got into foul trouble a lot at Kansas. I think Embiid has a higher defensive ceiling than Towns. Once Embiid learns the game well he should be able to do even better. Embiid is already real good on defense though.

Towns seems like he will be the better pro than Okafor. I think his defense will also set him apart. I doubt Noel will ever be on the level offensively as Okafor Towns and Embiid. Noel seems like he will be the best defensive player of all of them though. Noel does so much.

I'll break it down in 3 categories. How I think they will be offensively and defensively and overall as an NBA player.

Offense
Embiid
Okafor
Towns
Noel

Defense
Noel
Embiid
Towns
Okafor

Overall
Embiid
Towns
Okafor
Noel
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,850

Post#4 » by Zeitgeister » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:I don't know much about Upsahw so I won't address him. I think Embiid is the best prospect off all of them if healthy. Let's just assume Embiid is healthy for all intents and purposes. I know you can't really do that but I need to do that so I can make an accurate comparison if everyone is healthy. Okafor is the best scorer of all of them. He may even be a better scorer than Embiid for the first few years. I think Embiid's defense sets him apart from Okafor. I think Embiid and Towns are about the same defensively. Embiid hasn't played as long and got into foul trouble a lot at Kansas. I think Embiid has a higher defensive ceiling than Towns. Once Embiid learns the game well he should be able to do even better. Embiid is already real good on defense though.

Towns seems like he will be the better pro than Okafor. I think his defense will also set him apart. I doubt Noel will ever be on the level offensively as Okafor Towns and Embiid. Noel seems like he will be the best defensive player of all of them though. Noel does so much.

I'll break it down in 3 categories. How I think they will be offensively and defensively and overall as an NBA player.

Offense
Embiid
Okafor
Towns
Noel

Defense
Noel
Embiid
Towns
Okafor

Overall
Embiid
Towns
Okafor
Noel

You honestly think Embiid is going to be better than Okafor on offense, why?
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#5 » by Mattya » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Okafor and Towns then Embiid and Noel. Upshaw would be drafted maybe in the late teens at best even without off court issues.
CelticOG
Ballboy

Post#6 » by CelticOG » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Mattya wrote:Okafor and Towns then Embiid and Noel. Upshaw would be drafted maybe in the late teens at best even without off court issues.

Care to elaborate? You could be 100% correct... but Embiid was WAY more hyped then Oka or Towns..? And if WCS can go between 5 and 10... why couldn't Upshaw?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mattya » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:40 pm

CelticOG wrote:
Mattya wrote:Okafor and Towns then Embiid and Noel. Upshaw would be drafted maybe in the late teens at best even without off court issues.

Care to elaborate? You could be 100% correct... but Embiid was WAY more hyped then Oka or Towns..? And if WCS can go between 5 and 10... why couldn't Upshaw?

Embiid is also has injury concerns. You can't just ignore injury concerns. Okafor and Towns are great prospects in their own right. Wouldn't be too far behind the top 3 of last year even if Embiid were healthy. WCS is far better overall defender than Upshaw.

This I don't see how Embiid even if healthy is a better offensive option than Okafor.
CelticOG
Ballboy

Post#8 » by CelticOG » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Mattya wrote:
CelticOG wrote:

Embiid is also has injury concerns. You can't just ignore injury concerns. Okafor and Towns are great prospects in their own right. Wouldn't be too far behind the top 3 of last year even if Embiid were healthy. WCS is far better overall defender than Upshaw.

This I don't see how Embiid even if healthy is a better offensive option than Okafor.

So what you are really saying is that Embiid is the best overall prospect... if healthy?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mattya » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 pm

CelticOG wrote:
Mattya wrote:
CelticOG wrote:

So what you are really saying is that Embiid is the best overall prospect... if healthy?

Embiid is the best of these prospects without injury concerns. Until Embiid can prove otherwise Okafor and Towns are above him.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#10 » by DickGrayson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 pm

it's hard to say because Noel and Embiid have injury prone problems.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#11 » by Unbreakable99 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:I don't know much about Upsahw so I won't address him. I think Embiid is the best prospect off all of them if healthy. Let's just assume Embiid is healthy for all intents and purposes. I know you can't really do that but I need to do that so I can make an accurate comparison if everyone is healthy. Okafor is the best scorer of all of them. He may even be a better scorer than Embiid for the first few years. I think Embiid's defense sets him apart from Okafor. I think Embiid and Towns are about the same defensively. Embiid hasn't played as long and got into foul trouble a lot at Kansas. I think Embiid has a higher defensive ceiling than Towns. Once Embiid learns the game well he should be able to do even better. Embiid is already real good on defense though.

Offense
Embiid
Okafor
Towns
Noel

Defense
Noel
Embiid
Towns
Okafor

Overall
Embiid
Towns
Okafor
Noel

I say I think Embiid will be a better offensive player than Okafor because Embiid has only played basketball for about 3 or 4 years and his offensive game is already advanced. RIght now Embiid has more range than Okafor. Embiid can shoot 3's. Right now Okafor is more developed because he has played longer. Okafor is very good on offense. I'm not taking anything away from him. I do wonder how dominant he will be in the NBA on offense against longer players but I still think he should be able to put up over 20 points per game.

Embiid should be able to be better on the outside and when he's adjusted be able to be a beast down low. I love Okafor's offensive game though. Very good as only a Freshman. He's a great passer too. He's not a physical or as strong as Shaq so I don't know if he will be able to back his way down against Centers as easily. Okafor has very nimble feet and is deceptively quick for his size. I wouldn't be shocked if Okafor is the better offensive player than Embiid but I just think Embiid could be a 25ppg player.
Magic Boo
Bench Warmer
And1: 953

AW: Let's Talk Centers: Oak, Towns, Embiid, Noel, Upshaw 

Post#12 » by Magic Boo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 am

The thing is, Okafor can score in the post but cant shoot, Towns can shoot but cant post. Embiid can do both and should only improve since he is new to the game.

Defensively the other two are not even close to his potential.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Re: AW: Let's Talk Centers: Oak, Towns, Embiid, Noel, Upshaw 

Post#13 » by DickGrayson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Magic Boo wrote:The thing is, Okafor can score in the post but cant shoot, Towns can shoot but cant post. Embiid can do both and should only improve since he is new to the game.

Defensively the other two are not even close to his potential.

I agree. A game outside a post in the current NBA is vital to a big man for his longevity. We have some people proclaiming Okafor as the next Shaq, but I highly doubt he'll take over the league the way Shaq did offensively.

I'm interested to seeing Embiid play as soon as possible and where he'll rank on young centers in 2 seasons.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:12 am

1.) Embiid = elite at almost every aspect
2.) Towns = upside at both ends
3) Jahlil = dominant offense > dominant defense
4.) noel = dominant defense < dominant offense
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#15 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm

I think Towns is more of a late 2000s type of PF than a C but the similarities are so close Im not gonna harp on it

Return to NBA Draft