Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Trey Lyles 

Post#21 » by Marcus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I tend to agree, but I wonder if that's because he was forced to play SF on a team that was virtually always playing with 2 big 7 footers in or around the lane. With his length, he doesn't have to be a below the rim type. Maybe we haven't seen the type of player he will be in the NBA.

i don't think we have. I think if anything he's helped his stock in what could have been a very bad situation for him individually. He's shown good faceup and stretch potential since he's playing out of position, shows good IQ, passes well, has shown more "go get us a bucket ability" than the other bigs IMO.

Defensively he's hidden but he's looked solid. Same could be said for pretty much everybody on that roster though. the totality of length, size, and depth on that team makes defending easier as a whole. Not completely convinced he'll be great on that end at the next level and i think that's the biggest question if he comes out.

Who do you take first - Portis or Lyles?

been trying to figure that out.

I'm in the camp that Trey should go back (which i may be the only one in said camp) but if leaves this year i'd probably go Lyles and bank on his potential.

I feel like Portis is more proven at some of the things I love Lyles for. I still like Lyles' potential to put the ball on the floor and his passing better though. Biggest question being his defense whereas I have a pretty solid idea of what kind of effort and activity Portis is gonna give. I think if Lyles returns and gets to play his game next to Skal next year it might not even be close in terms of who to take between Trey and Bobby.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#22 » by Justwar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I think he can expand his range to the three but just isn't his role. His jumper is smooth. Antawn jamison like.
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#23 » by djphan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Marcus wrote:i don't think we have. I think if anything he's helped his stock in what could have been a very bad situation for him individually. He's shown good faceup and stretch potential since he's playing out of position, shows good IQ, passes well, has shown more "go get us a bucket ability" than the other bigs IMO.

Defensively he's hidden but he's looked solid. Same could be said for pretty much everybody on that roster though. the totality of length, size, and depth on that team makes defending easier as a whole. Not completely convinced he'll be great on that end at the next level and i think that's the biggest question if he comes out.

i totally disagree here... lyles has really only tried to make himself part of the offense since the SEC tourney.. whether he's gaining confidence or he wants to make the first rd ... and that go get buckets mentality.. is really.. the 'i gotta get mine' mentality...

you probably won't see it anymore since the competition is about to get tougher but when kentucky is up by 8 or more... nobody passes... if it reaches the harrisons or lyles and earlier in the season towns... they are shooting... and in the case of the harrisons they just keep shooting no matter what the score is... it is horrifying to watch...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#24 » by Marcus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 pm

djphan wrote:
Marcus wrote:i don't think we have. I think if anything he's helped his stock in what could have been a very bad situation for him individually. He's shown good faceup and stretch potential since he's playing out of position, shows good IQ, passes well, has shown more "go get us a bucket ability" than the other bigs IMO.

i totally disagree here... lyles has really only tried to make himself part of the offense since the SEC tourney.. whether he's gaining confidence or he wants to make the first rd ... and that go get buckets mentality.. is really.. the 'i gotta get mine' mentality...

you probably won't see it anymore since the competition is about to get tougher but when kentucky is up by 8 or more... nobody passes... if it reaches the harrisons or lyles and earlier in the season towns... they are shooting... and in the case of the harrisons they just keep shooting no matter what the score is... it is horrifying to watch...

who do you think they will or should be going to when the comp stiffens, the games are closer, and they need a go 2?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#25 » by djphan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 pm

i don't know... they've been going to towns in the last month to start games and when they needed a bucket when it's been close with great success... the ball moves... and ppl get open shots... when they don't... it's bad basketball... hell if they went to lyles early it would be better... the harrisons are just a lot better when they don't make decisions...
On_Wisconsin
Senior
And1: 103

Post#26 » by On_Wisconsin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:40 pm

Think he can play the 5? 7'4" wingspan will play but I'd like to see a standing reach. He's listed at 6'10" 235 on the UK website.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#27 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:47 pm

On_Wisconsin wrote:Think he can play the 5? 7'4" wingspan will play but I'd like to see a standing reach. He's listed at 6'10" 235 on the UK website.

He's best as a face up 4. He would get abused as a 5.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#28 » by ColdBlooded » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 pm

That wingspan measurement is wrong. He's not that long out on the court.
Sam Hinkie crew.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#29 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Looks more suited to the 3 than the 5.

Return to NBA Draft