Who does Stanley Johnson reminds you of?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: Who does Stanley Johnson reminds you of? 

Post#121 » by E-Balla » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:54 pm

nicnac215 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:Stanley Johnson is Corey Maggette 2.0

They both have big strong bodies, like to draw contact at the rim and are decent shooters. Neither have a truely elite skill. I think he is great value with a low lottery pick.

Mags was a super athlete that could finish inside but lacked a brain and shot. Stan has no hops at all. Also Stanley shot 49% on pull up 2 point jumpers. His elite skill is creating and making shots outside of the restricted area. He's also a great spot up shooter (he was 44%).

I've been calling Stanley Metta World Pierce but I actually think he's faster than both of them.

Just because he jumps a few inches higher doesn't dismiss the comparison. They play similar games put up similar stats as freshman on stacked teams and have same size and strength.

They don't play similar games. Stanley likes to shoot and work the middle of the floor. Mags ran to the rim.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#122 » by nicnac215 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:04 pm

E-Balla wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Mags was a super athlete that could finish inside but lacked a brain and shot. Stan has no hops at all. Also Stanley shot 49% on pull up 2 point jumpers. His elite skill is creating and making shots outside of the restricted area. He's also a great spot up shooter (he was 44%).

I've been calling Stanley Metta World Pierce but I actually think he's faster than both of them.

Just because he jumps a few inches higher doesn't dismiss the comparison. They play similar games put up similar stats as freshman on stacked teams and have same size and strength.

They don't play similar games. Stanley likes to shoot and work the middle of the floor. Mags ran to the rim.

Stanley's shooting chart shows he shot very few mid range shots and shot 3s or shot near the rim. In college Maggette shot slightly more 3s than Johnson per 40 minutes.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#123 » by E-Balla » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 pm

nicnac215 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:Just because he jumps a few inches higher doesn't dismiss the comparison. They play similar games put up similar stats as freshman on stacked teams and have same size and strength.

Stanley's shooting chart shows he shot very few mid range shots and shot 3s or shot near the rim. In college Maggette shot slightly more 3s than Johnson per 40 minutes.

Maybe it's because I never saw young Mags so I won't really speak on that. I know Stan doesn't play like the Maggette we saw in the league though.
Hooplah
Rookie
And1: 296

Post#124 » by Hooplah » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Corliss Williamson
BIG_controversy
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#125 » by BIG_controversy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:21 am

Ron Artest 2.0
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#126 » by EMG518 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:19 am

Anyone else who caught flak this past year for having Hezonja and Stan ahead of Winslow slighty amused right now?
WeNeverLeftAZ
Junior
And1: 398

Post#127 » by WeNeverLeftAZ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Very much so.
I made sure to say 'Bear Down Arizona!' at the end of our broadcast. That was for Wildcat Nation. -NBC Anchor Brian Williams
Webbdog
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#128 » by Webbdog » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:56 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:I see a Jimmy Butler type player, can you find a better compression?

And do you think he could play SG at the NBA level or is he strictly a SF?

Right this moment, he is comparable to James Harden/Brandon Roy. But in years to come, say maybe 3 or 4, I see him as Larry Lohnson 2.0 once he builds his Core/Trunk/Man strength. In one of his pre draft interviews it was stated he had unlocked athleticism he had yet to tap into due to inappropriate training methods. It was said he could add up to 6 inches onto to his vertical leap with the proper Core/Trunk strength and weight training.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#129 » by need4detroit » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:53 pm

Prime Metta World Peace without the emotional issues. I think SJ mat be a bit quicker though, and has a faster first step.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#130 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jul 5, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm thinking a Jimmy Butler type. His offense is very versatile and he's has some serious defensive potential. Can also rebound and pass well as well
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#131 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:11 pm

said in another thread he'll be a better pro than he was a college player.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#132 » by E-Balla » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:34 pm

need4detroit wrote:Prime Metta World Peace without the emotional issues. I think SJ mat be a bit quicker though, and has a faster first step.

I don't like this comp because Stan isn't the best defender (potential out the ass though) and offensively he's way better than Metta. His midrange game is nasty. He is just solid like Ron and has no hops like Ron.

EMG518 wrote:Anyone else who caught flak this past year for having Hezonja and Stan ahead of Winslow slighty amused right now?

Hezonja? No. Stanley? Yes. Stan looks great but Justise still looked amazing defensively in Miami's first game (missed the last one) and found a way to score as bad as he looked on that end. Mario looked good but he didn't stand out (yeah I know he hit a gamewinner). Mario will be a better rookie than Justise but Justise has super high defensive potential.
EMG518
Veteran

Post#133 » by EMG518 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:43 pm

E-Balla wrote:
need4detroit wrote:Prime Metta World Peace without the emotional issues. I think SJ mat be a bit quicker though, and has a faster first step.

I don't like this comp because Stan isn't the best defender (potential out the ass though) and offensively he's way better than Metta. His midrange game is nasty. He is just solid like Ron and has no hops like Ron.

EMG518 wrote:Anyone else who caught flak this past year for having Hezonja and Stan ahead of Winslow slighty amused right now?

Hezonja? No. Stanley? Yes. Stan looks great but Justise still looked amazing defensively in Miami's first game (missed the last one) and found a way to score as bad as he looked on that end. Mario looked good but he didn't stand out (yeah I know he hit a gamewinner). Mario will be a better rookie than Justise but Justise has super high defensive potential.

The comment was made referring to the draft. Caught flak all year for not having Winslow ranked ahead of those guys and then to see them both get drafted ahead of him, I found it amusing.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#134 » by E-Balla » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:52 pm

EMG518 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

The comment was made referring to the draft. Caught flak all year for not having Winslow ranked ahead of those guys and then to see them both get drafted ahead of him, I found it amusing.

Oh yeah that was funny. I love how people are talking about how Miami got a steal. No they didn't people didn't want him. Paul Pierce was a steal but most people that followed college ball didn't really like Justise it was the people that watch only in March.
EMG518
Veteran

Post#135 » by EMG518 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:55 pm

E-Balla wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I don't like this comp because Stan isn't the best defender (potential out the ass though) and offensively he's way better than Metta. His midrange game is nasty. He is just solid like Ron and has no hops like Ron.

Oh yeah that was funny. I love how people are talking about how Miami got a steal. No they didn't people didn't want him. Paul Pierce was a steal but most people that followed college ball didn't really like Justise it was the people that watch only in March.

100% agree

Return to NBA Draft