Am I the only guy who as serious questions about Okafor?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Am I the only guy who as serious questions about Okafor? 

Post#1 » by californiadude » Sat May 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Serious question...isn't his best comp a rich man's Al Jefferson?

Look at the teams in left in the playoffs right now. It's a perimeter driven league. Teams with offensive centers who are also liabilities defensively, don't translate to success very well the past few years (ie all the big Al teams, K-Love/Pek timberwolves, Post Bynum Lakers, I won't count the Vucivic magic cause it's way too early). Okafor seems like he follows that career arc. I mean it seems like you just have to be able to protect the paint in today's NBA and I have concerns that Okafor will struggle to do that. It's concerning to me that not only does he have sub-par natural ability defensively, he doesn't seem to care or even try on that end.

I get that Okafor has this stellar back to the basket game but that's statistically the worse possession in basketball. I mean it just seems like he could be a K-Love/Melo empty stat kind of guy.

You can combat this by putting a stretchy defensive stud next to him (The Magic have a terrific start on that with Aaron Gordon next to Vucevic).

For me personally though, I generally either want my big man to either protect the paint or shoot threes in today's NBA though. I'd still take Okafor in the top 5 probably even the top 3 but it seems like people anointing him as this next great star are kind of ignoring the fact this his game is going completely opposite the direction of today's NBA, and that there isn't much of a track record of success for teams that feature his play style. He's a very safe pick no doubt and I really haven't done enough background on Russell to say he's a better pick (though my gut instinct says he is). But I do have doubts about Okafor playing up to a top 2 pick.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Re: Am I the only guy who as serious questions about Okafor? 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sat May 23, 2015 4:29 pm

He's only 19. He's 6'11'', 7'6'' wingspan, who put up a 30 PER, and shot 66% from the floor as a freshman. With NBA coaching and conditioning staff, he's only going to get better.

Dude is a high-end talent, who's worthy of a top 2 selection in this draft. Again, he's only 19.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#3 » by sikma42 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Its weird how we see Kobe's Lakers as almost a different era. Bynum would be more than fine in the NBA if not for the injuries. Okafor should be fine too.

Btw...there are questions about every prospect in this draft. Taking Okafor at 2, where he is slotted, seems more than reasonable.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,120

Post#4 » by JDR720 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:45 pm

he needs to at least try on defense and hit his FT's at a respectable rate.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:10 pm

He lost 12 pounds to prove he can play defense. He's going to try extra hard on that end because it's his biggest knock. He's also only 19. Having said that, he's a really good passer in the post and is really actually a unique player in the league right now. But I agree, he should be next to a defensive big. He clearly has issues, but offensively he could be a DeMarcus Cousibs type of scorer (in terms of numbers). If you're going for an offensive team, he's actually a good choice. And if you can get a shot-blocking big behind him that can make free throws, I think he's going to be okay. He needs a defensive system for him to really work. Thibidou going to the Lakers would be a god-send for Okafor and Randle. He could potentially teach them to play together and cover each other.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#6 » by Teen Girl Squad » Sat May 23, 2015 9:08 pm

I think teams are right to be nervous about his defense as new stats like APM are showing how much more important post defense is to winning than post offense and I can see people legitimately ranking Towns, Russell and even Mudiay over him for team fit purposes. That said, I think if anything, people are underrating Okafor because he has a unique skillset that isn't necessarily theoretically optimal in the current NBA.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Any poor man's Al Jefferson has serious questions from me.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 23, 2015 10:26 pm

If Okafor ends up a strictly low post big who plays no defense I think it will be hard him to be worth the #1 pick in the modern NBA. However I'm not calling his D a write-off right now. He's huge and his lateral movement when he tries isn't bad at all. At his age he could also learn to shoot from the outside better despite his low FT right now. If he adds either defense or range it becomes more likely he justifies top 2 pick
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,267

Post#9 » by Frank Dux » Sun May 24, 2015 12:27 am

He has great size/measurements, won a national champ, and has some of the most refined post skills we've seen from a college player in a long time. Tons of guys come into the league as mediocre defensive players. I actually think he's going to develop into a good defensive player eventually. He's super young, and has a lot of time to develop.

I think people are over thinking Okafor. He's a legit number 1 candidate, and he's going to have a stellar career.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#10 » by giberish » Sun May 24, 2015 12:40 am

I'd say his best case scenario is a stable Cousins - which is easily worth a high lotto pick.

Cousins was a bad defender early in his career (and I'd be shocked if Okafor wasn't a bad defender as a rookie) but has improved greatly to be a solid defensive center. Just being big and in the right place does a lot on D.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#11 » by LApwnd » Sun May 24, 2015 1:53 am

doordoor123 wrote:He lost 12 pounds to prove he can play defense. He's going to try extra hard on that end because it's his biggest knock. He's also only 19. Having said that, he's a really good passer in the post and is really actually a unique player in the league right now. But I agree, he should be next to a defensive big. He clearly has issues, but offensively he could be a DeMarcus Cousibs type of scorer (in terms of numbers). If you're going for an offensive team, he's actually a good choice. And if you can get a shot-blocking big behind him that can make free throws, I think he's going to be okay. He needs a defensive system for him to really work. Thibidou going to the Lakers would be a god-send for Okafor and Randle. He could potentially teach them to play together and cover each other.

thibs is a terrible offensive coach, look at how stagnant chi offense was in the playoffs they go through 5-8 min stretches where they dont make a single basket. With the offensive personnel they have that should never happen.
kbitboc
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#12 » by kbitboc » Sun May 24, 2015 2:25 am

LApwnd wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:He lost 12 pounds to prove he can play defense. He's going to try extra hard on that end because it's his biggest knock. He's also only 19. Having said that, he's a really good passer in the post and is really actually a unique player in the league right now. But I agree, he should be next to a defensive big. He clearly has issues, but offensively he could be a DeMarcus Cousibs type of scorer (in terms of numbers). If you're going for an offensive team, he's actually a good choice. And if you can get a shot-blocking big behind him that can make free throws, I think he's going to be okay. He needs a defensive system for him to really work. Thibidou going to the Lakers would be a god-send for Okafor and Randle. He could potentially teach them to play together and cover each other.

thibs is a terrible offensive coach, look at how stagnant chi offense was in the playoffs they go through 5-8 min stretches where they dont make a single basket. With the offensive personnel they have that should never happen.

Any chance Thibs signs as a defensive coach instead of head coach?
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#13 » by DickGrayson » Sun May 24, 2015 4:54 am

I have many serious questions about Okafor, since October of 2014. From the DraftExpress scouting, his inside scoring is one of the best we've seen in NCAA history. Beyond that, it's questionable how Okafor will fit for some teams considering his lack of defense(anyone who has told you Okafor is a good defender is full of it), rebounding and shooting.

Struggles on defense due to
-Effort
-Toughness
-Athleticism
-Awareness

-Gives up deep position too easily vs post ups. Not overly physical
- 1.9 BLKS per 40 pace ranks Okafor 2nd to last amongst top 100 center prospects on Draft Express. NBA is full of rim protecting Cs.
- Rarely bodies up his man
- Plays 1-2 feet away from his opponent
- Very slow at contesting shots
- Doesn't jump straight up and tries to bother his defender. Okafor jumps away from his opponent and tries to use his length for blocks.
- Watch the ball too often, loses his man. Poor reaction time
-Gets burned in the P/R too often. Uncomfortable away from the basket.
-Jogs back on D.
- Doesn't offer rim protection in the half court.
- mobile on offense but doesnt have a quick twitch defensively to keep up NCAA guards. NBA will probably be a nightmare.
- Drops back on defense similar to Amare Stoudemire. Gives a lot of room for guards to operate to take a free mid range jumper
- Struggles against shooting big especially in pick and pop situations.
- Okafor has been lazy on getting back on defense. Ever since High School. Conditioning was a problem, but it's more mental.

"Okafor was giving up an adjusted field goal percentage of 44.6 percent to his opponents and ranked in the lower 70 percent of college basketball in isolation defense. That is a glaring statistic. How is he going to be able to defend elite NBA bigs if he can’t stop a Kinesiology major from Virginia Tech? His foot quickness and overall explosiveness are not going to be what Okafor hangs his hat on." - David Nurse

His motor is what kills him, he gives up or is lackadaisical on D. in the pace of the NBA, Okafor has to deal with blazing quick and powerful athletes, getting beat won't be good for his will power. I am highly concerned and consider Okafor extremely soft.

Okafor's rebounding is also a concern consider his defense rebounding is below average.
6.5 D-REBS per 40 pace ranks 15th out of 17th amongst centers in this draft class

Shooting....he seems to suffer from Rondo disease. big hands long wing span, can't hit FTs or be a threat from the elbow.

How do you fit pieces around a center who doesn't rebound on defense or protect the rim? Not every team in the NBA has Serge Ibaka.

These are serious questions to ask, even if you're a Jahlil Okafor fanatic. You can't answer everything with "Well Okafor has once in a century type offense, generational big man who's a combination of Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan and his scoring will outweigh his weaknesses, he will out score everyone and thats all that matters"
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#14 » by Marcus » Sun May 24, 2015 5:04 am

no you're not the only one.

you can literally bounce around each draft board of a team within range of drafting Okafor and see the same argument about him and Towns and also see the same concerns posted about him.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#15 » by TKainZero » Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 am

Closer to brook Lopez? Or Shaq?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#16 » by Moooose » Sun May 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Ditto. But the talent is there. Just not the explosiveness, or even the will to have it.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#17 » by BoutPractice » Sun May 24, 2015 2:06 pm

I made several posts questioning him some time ago, but I'm actually starting to rethink my views.

He has a wide body, a 7'6 wingspan and doesn't seem like an uncoachable diva. If you give him a tough defensive coach like Thibs, with teammates like Kobe and the pressure of being the next great Lakers big, I'm sure he could become at least decent on that end.

There is a genuine risk that he becomes a "bad franchise player", or empty stats guy, but I wouldn't say that's his ceiling.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#18 » by jpatrick » Sun May 24, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't totally believe this, but what's makes him a substantially better prospect than Enes Kanter? Both were thought of as highly skilled bigs with a lack of athleticism. Remember, Kanter was to play at UK after going for 34/13 in the Hoops Summit game. If Okafor's weight loss is to be believed, they both weighed in the high 250s range when drafted, were approximately the same height, and Okafor only had a 1 inch advantage in standing reach.

Kanter averaged 19/11 last year after the trade but is thought of as a below average center because of his D, what is going to make Okafor a superstar?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:24 pm

jpatrick wrote:I don't totally believe this, but what's makes him a substantially better prospect than Enes Kanter? Both were thought of as highly skilled bigs with a lack of athleticism. Remember, Kanter was to play at UK after going for 34/13 in the Hoops Summit game. If Okafor's weight loss is to be believed, they both weighed in the high 250s range when drafted, were approximately the same height, and Okafor only had a 1 inch advantage in standing reach.

Kanter averaged 19/11 last year after the trade but is thought of as a below average center because of his D, what is going to make Okafor a superstar?

Okafor has the best post game coming out of college since Tim Duncan. He's already more advanced than Kanter. He also has huge hands to palm the ball and passes really well from the post (a skill very few big men have in the league). And as a post player, that passing skill is valuable. I also think he's more athletic and agile around the rim. And the reach matters.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Okafor has more potential defensively than Kanter as well. He is not as grounded, moves better and is longer.

I feel the narrative that Towns is better athlete than Okafor is overblown. Okafor could get up enough to be a lob target, could run in transition and could use his first step and agility to spin around and step through some players. Not saying he is the most explosive player but Towns game is also ground and pound centric. Towns had way better defensive season but not sure I can blame Okafor's athleticism for why

Return to NBA Draft