Porzingis v. Bargnani

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: Porzingis v. Bargnani 

Post#21 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed May 27, 2015 3:12 pm

I actually think Bargnani was a better prospect in terms of size/skill, and that isn't a slight to Porzingis. Bargnani went 1st overall for a reason, weak draft year or not. Bargnani had a lot of skill, was quick, athletic and could play everywhere on the floor. I'm basically just putting conjecture out there at this point, but as a Raptors fan who saw an awful lot of Bargnani over the years, his biggest weakness was that he really didn't seem to enjoy playing basketball that much or enjoy putting in the work to play basketball at an elite level.

Bargnani is capable of playing at an absolutely fantastic level when he's healthy and motivated, but he often would come into the season out of shape, and work his way into game shape, which would result in a lot minor bumps and bruises to start the season and some inconsistencies in his play, and he really wasn't very good at maintaining his level of play with injuries that some other successful players simply play through. Had he been willing to put in the work to maintain his health and fitness (extremely important given his size) and maintain his level of play for the entire season, he would have been a regular allstar, but he simply wasn't.

Bargnani seemed far more interested in being a wealthy celebrity with the girls all over, vacations in the summer, etc. than he did with trying to be the best basketball player he could be. And to be honest, I can't really blame him, because I think it takes a special level of crazy to essentially have a choice between stockpiling $75-100 million dollars by the time you're 40, and living a long healthy live with all the perks from being young and rich and being able to make $400 million over your by the time your 40 but not being able to enjoy life as much because you're working harder, combined with a more physical amount of work that wears out your body before your time.

I sometimes wonder what Bargnani would have done had Popovic gotten his hands on him earlier, because Popovic's greatest strength appears to be gaining the trust of his players on the premise that they have to work hard for him when he works them, but that he will take care of their health by resting them and not overworking them. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference, but it would have been Bargnani's best shot.

If Porzingis has half the talent Andrea does but loves playing basketball and is willing to put in the year-long work to maximize his talents, whoever picks him won't regret it. The thing about the NBA is that there are so few actually big/tall players with any degree of talent, that a lot of bigs who don't really want to play basketball first and only get pushed into the sport whereas smaller guys who don't want to play beyond anything else get outclassed by guys that do, because there are simply more of them. The most recent public example is Larry Sanders, where he's good at basketball, doesn't mind playing it, but given that he's already wealthy, prioritizes other things over doing basketball all day every day. In this draft, the player that has those same concerns for me is Robert Upshaw, who I think would enjoy being wealthy, but doesn't seem to care about basketball all that much other than it being a possible means to an end, but nothing to sacrifice for. I don't know enough about Porzingis to know if he fits into that category or not, but if he doesn't, he would be a good pick.
Bucket! Bucket!
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#22 » by guille_4 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:34 pm

- Porzingis is listed as 2.16 metres (7'1) in the ACB website, meaning he's 7'2 by NBA standards. ACB measures are barefoot, for comparison, Gustavo Ayon is listed as 2.06 m (6'9) in the ACB and 6'10 in the NBA.
- Experts also talk about his tremendous wingspan, although I haven't found the actual measurements. Definitely 7'4+ which is superb for a PF.

He is definitely as tall/long as Bargnani, probably even a little bit more. People are also underestimating his frame, his shoulders aren't as narrow as some people are suggesting, they're fine.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#23 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 27, 2015 4:05 pm

guille_4 wrote:- Porzingis is listed as 2.16 metres (7'1) in the ACB website, meaning he's 7'2 by NBA standards. ACB measures are barefoot, for comparison, Gustavo Ayon is listed as 2.06 m (6'9) in the ACB and 6'10 in the NBA.
- Experts also talk about his tremendous wingspan, although I haven't found the actual measurements. Definitely 7'4+ which is superb for a PF.

He is definitely as tall/long as Bargnani, probably even a little bit more. People are also underestimating his frame, his shoulders aren't as narrow as some people are suggesting, they're fine.

Next to Sabas. Guy looks almost the same height! Guy doesn't look that tall on the court tho, maybe its just me.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/plfSKykVH8/[/instagram]
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#24 » by guille_4 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:23 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
guille_4 wrote:- Porzingis is listed as 2.16 metres (7'1) in the ACB website, meaning he's 7'2 by NBA standards. ACB measures are barefoot, for comparison, Gustavo Ayon is listed as 2.06 m (6'9) in the ACB and 6'10 in the NBA.

Next to Sabas. Guy looks almost the same height! Guy doesn't look that tall on the court tho, maybe its just me.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/plfSKykVH8/[/instagram]

Exactly, and Sabonis is 7'3. I also feel like him being that tall makes her shoulders look narrower than they actually are. He's 5 inches taller than the average PF. In fact, I'd say Porzingis' standing reach is probably slightly higher than Sabas, check-out their shoulder height and arm length.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#25 » by Ganji » Wed May 27, 2015 11:31 pm

mos_def wrote:
coutournant wrote:Porzingis was an outstanding rebounder at euro u18 in 2013. He struggles versus professionals because of his lack of strength but he will improve with time and age.
Gobert was a poor rebounder in French Pro A because of lack of strength, but he was dominating in youth competitions. He's now one of the best in the NBAagainst world level athletes because he is stronger under the rim

You know he is going to the league of professionals were everyone is probably stronger

you right, remember how they passed on Anthony Davis, because he was to skinny... I mean if you are not fully bulked out at age of 19, you'll never will be...
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#26 » by joedumars1 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:02 am

I see this kid highest ceiling being Dirk, but can guard the Rim and catch oops, his downside is probably Bargs at worst. Is that really that bad to take the chance at around #5-10? I don't think so.
Barnsey
Junior
And1: 88

Post#27 » by Barnsey » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 am

Bargs at worst? Nooooo he can be worse than that.
He's a slow thinker, doesn't jump that high, shies away from contact, gets pushed around easily. There's every chance he could wash out of the NBA. I think he can at least be useful, but i'd say there's more chance of bust than there is of Dirk, tbh
Twitter: @Barnsketball
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#28 » by LLJ » Thu May 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Bargnani had a poor motor. In some ways that is effort but is also his general physiology. He just didn't have that kind of almost limitless energy that separates the good athletes from the bad. You can increase stamina through training/exercise but Bargs was a guy who could only string a few plays together at one time before physically gathering himself to recover. He had poor second and third jumps, which contributed to his poor rebounding. Even when he was young and lean Bargs was not a high energy player.

If you have Bargnani with the motor of a Dirk, then you'd have something. In terms pure basketball skill i.e. ballhandling, shooting ability, passing, Bargnani is fairly skilled for a big man.

So with Porzingis you'd be looking specifically at that aspect if determining whether he can be better than Bargnani or not.
Brazil88
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#29 » by Brazil88 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 am

From what i remember, even thought Bargnani turn out to be a bust, he looked more talented, at least offensively, than Porzingis. Maybe in the NBA things will go better for Porzingis, i don't know. Anyway, what i do know is that people really need to stop with the Dirk comparisons to every white big man that shoot 3's.

Dirk is a future Hall of Famer and one of the best players to have ever played in the League, arguably a Top 3 as far as international players. Give the man some respect, please.
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#30 » by 903124 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:18 am

Brazil88 wrote:From what i remember, even thought Bargnani turn out to be a bust

A bust of first pick but good for a late lottery indeed. If he is picked 8-9th he will be a ok pick.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Re: Re: Porzingis v. Bargnani 

Post#31 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 am

903124 wrote:
Brazil88 wrote:From what i remember, even thought Bargnani turn out to be a bust

A bust of first pick but good for a late lottery indeed. If he is picked 8-9th he will be a ok pick.
Disagree. Not the late 2012 up to now Bargnani at least. Guy is worse than people realize, hes just a negative on the floor, truly awful.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#32 » by No-Man » Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 am

In any re-draft Bargs goes still top10, after these guys,

Aldridge
Rondo
Millsap
Lowry
Roy
Gay