Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: The 2017 draft could be tremendous 

Post#41 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 3, 2015 8:37 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:Damn so this is going to get as hyped as 2014 or will get more hype

we'll see in a year. But its generally considered to be loaded by those who follow such things. I think once Ben is out the way we'll see the hypetrain start to roll for the 2017 prospects.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#42 » by ImChillin01 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 8:40 pm

Marcus wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:Damn so this is going to get as hyped as 2014 or will get more hype

we'll see in a year. But its generally considered to be loaded by those who follow such things. I think once Ben is out the way we'll see the hypetrain start to roll for the 2017 prospects.

Wow two hyped classes in the same decade, pretty interesting. I guess its like 03 and 07 for hype. Who would you compare top prospects to?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#43 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 3, 2015 8:54 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Wow two hyped classes in the same decade, pretty interesting. I guess its like 03 and 07 for hype. Who would you compare top prospects to?

Josh Jackson has T-Mac potential

Dennis Smith Jr has gotten Steve Francis comps which I think works out pretty well. He's not Rose or Wall but in that explosive scoring PG vein.

Harry Giles I still haven't figured out but he's good.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#44 » by ImChillin01 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 9:06 pm

Marcus wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Dennis Smith Jr has gotten Steve Francis comps which I think works out pretty well. He's not Rose or Wall but in that explosive scoring PG vein.

What you think of Jayson Tatum, Markelle Futz, De'Andre Fox & Malik Monk
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#45 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 3, 2015 9:40 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:Wow two hyped classes in the same decade, pretty interesting. I guess its like 03 and 07 for hype. Who would you compare top prospects to?

What you think of Jayson Tatum, Markelle Futz, De'Andre Fox & Malik Monk

Love Tatum's skill and feel but he needs weight since he's not the quickest or most explosive kid out there. Good length, solid touch, could add some range, muscle will be the big thing for him though.

Fultz i've only seen in spurts so I don't think its fair to make any assessment regarding him.

Fox I like, quick, bouncy, competes, lefty, seems to be climbing the ranks and challenging Smith for top PG prospect in the class.

Monk I wanna catch live. I know the kid is a pogo stick and catch fire in a given contest. Seems to have embraced being a SG with some passing ability rather than trying to force himself into a PG pigeon hole ala Seventh Woods. Curious to see all of them on the larger stage going forward.
Watch More Basketball

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 7, 2015 10:02 pm

Another kid to keep an eye out for is fast-rising Wenyen Gabriel -almost 6'10 200 now and growing - an incredible offensive rebounder, excellent combo of steals and blocks, is concentrating on improving his jump shot and wants to be primarily a perimeter player - has a ways to go there, but he's an A student and seems like a hard worker.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#47 » by Upperclass » Tue Sep 8, 2015 3:04 am

Seventh Woods reminds me a ton of Avery Bradley; I think he's one and done due to his acknowledged deficiencies
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Marcus » Tue Sep 8, 2015 4:22 pm

Upperclass wrote:Seventh Woods reminds me a ton of Avery Bradley

YEP!!! been saying this for a while.
Watch More Basketball

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#49 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Sep 8, 2015 8:53 pm

Has Seventh Woods lost explosiveness?

Granted they were just highlight tapes, but I watched some of his more recent stuff, and he was decidedly less jaw-dropping in terms of athleticism.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Marcus » Tue Sep 8, 2015 9:10 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Has Seventh Woods lost explosiveness?

Granted they were just highlight tapes, but I watched some of his more recent stuff, and he was decidedly less jaw-dropping in terms of athleticism.

Just more tentative in general IMO. I think somebody got into that kids head and has him changing everything that made him standout to begin with. I think the fast rise of Dennis Smith as a PG kinda ruined the perception of Seventh (with them being from the same area). He's trying to be more of a PG and he's not really that. Has a long ways to go in that regard so its not something to just completely ignore but focussing on that (without a ton of improvement) has caused regression in the things he did that led to his hype in the first place.

He's not a PG and shouldn't be trying to become one. He should take lessons from Malik Monk and Malik Newman who both said screw it I am what I am and just incorporated some creation skills from the undersized SG position. His athleticism covers some size issues. So he needs to just play off the ball and increase his value that way.

As mentioned before he's athletic enough and pitbullish enough on defense to at the very least be Avery Bradley which holds some value in the league. He's young and still has some time to improve but that window shrinks at too fast a rate for him to continue trying to be something he may never be.
Watch More Basketball

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Wed Sep 9, 2015 12:39 pm

Who do you guys think is the best PG prospect behind Malik Monk, who looks like he's head and shoulders above everyone else at that position?
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#52 » by Undefeated » Wed Sep 9, 2015 1:03 pm

Malik Monk isn't even the best PG prospect in his class imo and doesn't even play like a PG. It's Fox.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 9, 2015 4:12 pm

Yeah I wouldn't put Monk ahead of Dennis Smith and I wouldn't classify Monk as a PG either. Maybe I need to see more but he gives me the Malik Newman vibe. Just more bouce and less consistency on his jumper. Better creator though. I see neither as PGs.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft