Denzel Valentine

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ZGendron317
Junior
And1: 50

Re: Denzel Valentine 

Post#81 » by ZGendron317 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 pm

sip wrote:Good job posting 20 bigs. Now start over and name 20 that are as quick as Draymond because that list is an epic fail.

Hahaha truuuuuuuuuue

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#82 » by PoundTown » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:59 pm

I see Denzel as a Evan Turner with a really good 3 point shot. Maybe slightly less in the way of transition player, but think he will be seen as a more valuable player than a ET. His strength, vision, and pace make up for his lack of speed offensively. You can see that a guy like Kyle Anderson with proper skillset and smarts can make up for athletic shortcomings. Denzel can be a 15/5/5 type player.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#83 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:12 am

I really want Hield and Valentine on the Pels. The emphasis nowadays on good 3pt shooting cannot be underrated.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#84 » by LofJ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:55 pm

I hope the Hornets target this guy as insurance in case Batum walks in the offseason.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#85 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Mar 8, 2016 12:48 am

Any explanation why 22 year old Valentine putting up equal or better numbers than 21 year old Evan Turner with similar tools + far better shooting is projected to go #19 right now on DX, while Turner went #2?
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#86 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:06 am

sixerswillrule wrote:Any explanation why 22 year old Valentine putting up equal or better number than 21 year old Evan Turner with similar tools + far better shooting is projected to go #19 right now on DX, while Turner went #2?

Coz Turner wasn't a good NBA player?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#87 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:07 am

sixerswillrule wrote:Any explanation why 22 year old Valentine putting up equal or better number than 21 year old Evan Turner with similar tools + far better shooting is projected to go #19 right now on DX, while Turner went #2?

Turner numbers were a tad better but especially he is better athlete with a more advanced handle, he also had a higher usage and scored much more 1on1, he was even more the guy than Valentine who gets assisted a ton also, the assesment on Turner went wrong because his lack of shooting has hindered him, but athletically even though he is not elite he is clearly ahead of Valentine.

Plus teams learn from their mistakes.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#88 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:11 am

In Turner's draft year people thought he was more athletic than he ended up being.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#89 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:10 am

ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:

Coz Turner wasn't a good NBA player?

Well I'm comparing them as NBA prospects, and Turner at the draft was obviously thought of much higher than Valentine now. So you're saying it's people learning from their mistakes like Fischella said, that they saw Turner bust because of his athletic limitations and think the same will happen to Valentine. Still I don't think that justifies Valentine falling so low though, especially when there's such a huge difference in shooting ability.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#90 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:21 am

Fischella wrote:

Turner numbers were a tad better but especially he is better athlete with a more advanced handle, he also had a higher usage and scored much more 1on1, he was even more the guy than Valentine who gets assisted a ton also, the assesment on Turner went wrong because his lack of shooting has hindered him, but athletically even though he is not elite he is clearly ahead of Valentine.

Plus teams learn from their mistakes.

Turner - 20, 9, and 6, 58% TS, 30 PER
Valentine - 20, 7, and 7, 62% TS, 30 PER

True Turner had a higher usage but turnovers increase USG% right? He averaged 4.4 vs. 2.6 for Valentine, big difference. They take a similar number of shots. He did create much more 1 on 1 but Valentine creates more for his teammates. I think his on-ball ability isn't far from Turner's. Plus his ability to play off the ball is a big plus. Turner's lack of athleticism has hindered him equally or more than his lack of shooting. He can't get by anyone. Wade is one of the best SGs of all time thanks in large part to his elite athleticism despite a lack of shooting. Turner could have been an average starting SG if he had average athleticism. But he has below average athleticism so he's a below average starting SG. Valentine is a similar athlete but a much better shooter.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#91 » by Mylie10 » Tue Mar 8, 2016 3:01 am

Turner was a 2/3 prospect and Valentine is more of a 3/4. While I don't see Valentine playing a lot of four, in today's NBA he can fill a small ball role there.

If you watch Valentine move around for more than five minutes you'll see what the deal is. And he had injury issues this season.

Having said that, I like Valentine as a late value pick if he were to fall be cause of any concerns.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
No-Man
RealGM

Post#92 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 8, 2016 3:40 am

Turner is a good athlete, not elite, but good, and certainly better than Denzel, his lack of shooting and length hurts him, but the other stuff was obvious.
He got overrated as an athlete anyway, and as a scorer, but he was seeing much more as a Guard than Valentine, actually Turner has always been a pretty strong defender.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Denzel Valentine 

Post#93 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:30 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Turner was a 2/3 prospect and Valentine is more of a 3/4. While I don't see Valentine playing a lot of four, in today's NBA he can fill a small ball role there.

I'm not seeing that distinction. What makes Turner suitable as a 2/3 but not Valentine? Valentine has the size of a 2/3, the ball-handling/playmaking of a 2/3 (and then some), and the shooting of a 2/3 (and then some). And he should be a solid defender there.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Denzel Valentine 

Post#94 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:31 pm

I still think Turner's lack of athleticism has been his biggest roadblock, but agree to disagree.
PickMeUpASixer
Junior
And1: 93

Post#95 » by PickMeUpASixer » Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:24 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:I still think Turner's lack of athleticism has been his biggest roadblock, but agree to disagree.

Turner's biggest roadblock has definitely been his inability to hit a jumpshot. Even with his limited athleticism, he has been able to use his strength and a crafty handle to get into the paint pretty well. Valentine doesn't have the same ball handling skills as turner, but he can mitigate that, since teams have to respect his jumpshot, and he can attack the closeouts.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#96 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 8, 2016 3:14 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:I still think Turner's lack of athleticism has been his biggest roadblock, but agree to disagree.

ET was easily a more fluid and dynamic athlete than DV, doesn't seem reasonable disagree with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfUCyENzX8

Turner had no problem creating all day for himself at OSU without any plays or structure. DV hustles and plays smart and can hit from anywhere, but he's not quick for a NBA athlete and almost looks weighted down at times. If he succeeds it'll be because he can do damage with even the smallest amount of space, not because he'll be able to create any space for himself.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#97 » by babyjax13 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:24 am

Dr Positivity wrote:

In Turner's draft year people thought he was more athletic than he ended up being.

It's possible that he broke his back...

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#98 » by KqWIN » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Admittedly haven't watched a ton of him, but I see the Dudley/Parsons comparisons way more than I see the Turner/Johnson. He doesn't look like he's going to be a ball in hand guy in the NBA because he doesn't breakdown the defense off the dribble. What he can do is space the floor, attack close outs, and move the ball well. That's all Parsons and, to a lesser extent, Dudley do and they're very successful at it. Obviously he's closer to Dudley in size, but I think his game is resembles Parsons very well.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#99 » by DetroitSho » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:55 am

I'm really asking because I honestly don't know and don't watch MSU. But how are people getting that a guy who is 6'5 is being projected as a 3/4 in the NBA? In this thread I've seen people compare him to Danny Green and then others saying he could be a small ball 4. Why is his projections so over the board like this? I've only seen highlights of his play, and I hear him being discussed on local radio, that's the extent of my Valentine knowledge. But the guy actually sounds like Aron Afflalo. I'm just really not getting on what planet he would ever be slotted in as a PF.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#100 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:05 pm

In the same planet where Jared Dudley has played minutes at Center often.

Return to NBA Draft