rate this draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

rate this draft 

Post#1 » by Gant » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:06 pm

I haven't seen much of the potential prospects for the upcoming draft, but I suspect many of you have.

Please rate your sense (at this point) of the upcoming draft.

1) Is it below average, average, above average?

2) Is it strong or weak at the top? In the middle? At the end of the first round into the second?

3) Is it strong in certain positions? Weak in others?

4) How is the international class?

Thanks.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: rate this draft 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:15 pm

1) Average
2) sort of weird, doubts at the top, strong in the middle, weak in the end
3) strong at PG and PF, weak at SG
4) similars to last year strong at the top but not so deep
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#3 » by Dcebucks11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:08 pm

below average, i think a lot of the top prospects in this draft are overrated..

Ben Simmons is the real deal though, he has a chance to be the next Lebron
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#4 » by Gant » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:below average, i think a lot of the top prospects in this draft are overrated..

Which ones of the top prospects do you feel are overrated?
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#5 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Gant wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:below average, i think a lot of the top prospects in this draft are overrated..

Which ones of the top prospects do you feel are overrated?

It's too early to tell.

Right now Skal is rebounding like a Point Guard. If he improves that by season end, he could be a great prospect, but if he doesn't, then I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,640

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:06 am

Historically bad draft
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#7 » by 165bows » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:02 am

Fischella wrote:1) Average

Fair to say it's much less freshman oriented than a lot of drafts?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#8 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:27 am

165bows wrote:
Fischella wrote:1) Average

Fair to say it's much less freshman oriented than a lot of drafts?

Yup, in my mind pretty similar overall to 2006, it is an average/poor draft, but not historically bad like 2000 or 2013.
Like 2006 was poor but we got a few All Stars out of it, and Roy went wrong too early, could've been better.
Keep an eye on Dedric Lawson and Marquese Chriss, dunno if they will declare but both are the type of skilled combo forward that thrive in the league nowadays.
And there are a lot of veteran players making 1st round cases, like Selden for example or Damion Lee.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#9 » by damecurry » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:53 am

I'm not as knowledgeable as some but I know a fair bit, let's see:

Average, this is very nebulous, 2015 was thought to be average-slightly below and look now, might turn out better than the much hyped 2014. I think the issue is there's only 1 prospect with obvious star potential (Simmons) and even he's got a few ? still. The top 5-7 are all quite good and pretty jumbled but I don't think there's a lot of true super-star ability there, but there will be several all-stars I'm pretty confident.

The top is strange because it's 5-7 deep and they all look good but it lacks the can't-miss prospects. The middle looks good, a lot of intriguing, could surprise types. Bottom kinda gets old and odd/international quick, could be alright but idk. that's my least familiar area.

THe big positions are pretty strong, I only see 2 good natural C candidates but there are some combo bigs who may become 5s that look good. SF is actually pretty strong at the top if Simmons plays the 3. I'm not sure it is that strong at PG, Murray looks like a 2 and there's a lot of combo-guards that I don't see running an nba offense so it may actually be better at the 2.

There's a Kristaps Porzingis impersonator, a Hezonja impersonator that's not as touted, some longshot/high potential guys, it's actually pretty thin compared to last year but not bad.
damecurry
General Manager

Post#10 » by damecurry » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:58 am

Whom specifically? Cause I have to disagree for the most part. Ingram is really promising imo, #2 on my board atm. Brown needs to improve his shooting but it might just be a slow start, otherwise he looks pretty good. Skal is struggling but still has a sky-high ceiling but I do get pessimism towards him. Murray isn't looking awesome but he'll be a very good player in the nba that seems very likely. And I don't know his game that well but many are saying Bender looks like a more skilled Porzingis. I think the top is actually pretty deep if lacking a little star-power.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#11 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:02 pm

damecurry wrote:I'm not as knowledgeable as some but I know a fair bit, let's see:

Average, this is very nebulous, 2015 was thought to be average-slightly below and look now, might turn out better than the much hyped 2014.

eeeh 2015 was clearly as strong as 2014 and nevertheless, a clearly above average and strong draft.
no one, never, valued it as belowaverage or average.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#12 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:22 pm

It's early days, but I've heard some 2012 comparisons floating around and I think there are some similarities in quality.

Particularly at the top, in 2012, the 2nd pick was a hugeeee stepdown from Anthony Davis, similar to what it seems like it'll be with the player drafted after Ben Simmons (N.B. we are strictly talking about predraft opinion, not forecasting playing careers....).

There also looks to be quite a stack of pretty good mid 1st round talent this year (think T Jones, Olynk, Henson, Fournier etc from 2012). What really helps elevate 2012 outside of the good Top 10 talent though, are the Draymond (#35), Middleton (#39) and Ezeli (#30) pick-ups.
damecurry
General Manager

Post#13 » by damecurry » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Fischella wrote:
damecurry wrote:I'm not as knowledgeable as some but I know a fair bit, let's see:

Average, this is very nebulous, 2015 was thought to be average-slightly below and look now, might turn out better than the much hyped 2014.

eeeh 2015 was clearly as strong as 2014 and nevertheless, a clearly above average and strong draft.
no one, never, valued it as belowaverage or average.

umm okay.... I thought I heard quite a few people project it as average/mediocre, especially when KAT was still on the fringe of the top 5, Mudiay was 2 but went overseas and that became unclear, Russell hadn't emerged. Okafor was always thought of as a blue chip prospect and it looked deep but I definitely remember some claims that it wouldn't be that good of a draft and definitely not close to 14.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#14 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:26 pm

2012 was much stronger across the board, deeper.
It is more like 2006.
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Re: RE: Re: rate this draft 

Post#15 » by janmagn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Average, this is very nebulous, 2015 was thought to be average-slightly below and look now, might turn out better than the much hyped 2014. I think the issue is there's only 1 prospect with obvious star potential (Simmons) and even he's got a few ? still. The top 5-7 are all quite good and pretty jumbled but I don't think there's a lot of true super-star ability there, but there will be several all-stars I'm pretty confident.

The top is strange because it's 5-7 deep and they all look good but it lacks the can't-miss prospects. The middle looks good, a lot of intriguing, could surprise types. Bottom kinda gets old and odd/international quick, could be alright but idk. that's my least familiar area.

THe big positions are pretty strong, I only see 2 good natural C candidates but there are some combo bigs who may become 5s that look good. SF is actually pretty strong at the top if Simmons plays the 3. I'm not sure it is that strong at PG, Murray looks like a 2 and there's a lot of combo-guards that I don't see running an nba offense so it may actually be better at the 2.

There's a Kristaps Porzingis impersonator, a Hezonja impersonator that's not as touted, some longshot/high potential guys, it's actually pretty thin compared to last year but not bad.

Bleacher Report compared 2015 to 2003

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
damecurry
General Manager

Post#16 » by damecurry » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:13 pm

janmagn wrote:

When? I heard coparisions like that early for 2014 but not 2015 until maybe later when kat and russell were shining and porzingis and hezonja were rising.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#17 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:06 pm

janmagn wrote:

2015 was thought to be a weak class flat out. 2014, the draft that has ended up relatively unimpressive was the one compared to 2003.

damecurry wrote:

This seems strangely biased. Saying Korkmaz is not as highly touted as Hezonja is not incorrect, but how come you did not acknowledge that Bender is more touted than Porzingis was?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:08 pm

I said this before, but this draft reminds me a lot of 2008. There's one prospect over all and a bunch of question marks in the lottery. Then there are solid players after the lottery and raw players like Malik Pope, Diamond Stone, etc that can be the next Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan, etc. (not as centers, rather bigs that are raw)
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:56 am

This is a weak draft. Only Simmons looks like a sure thing and it looks like a large drop off from there.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#20 » by rumdiary » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:13 am

So far this is a draft full of question marks - hopefully that will change before June/July!

Return to NBA Draft