2018 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#441 » by DK-All Day » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:So does Boston get the Lakers pick in 2018 if they pick 2-5?

Yes
Handsome.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#442 » by RightToCensor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 am

What are your guys' thoughts on Miles Bridges?

I love his energy (must be something in the MSU water), his competitiveness, his skillset, and his body frame. His upper body as a freshman looked unbelievable, compared to most 19 year old prospects he looked massive.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#443 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 am

RightToCensor wrote:What are your guys' thoughts on Miles Bridges?

I love his energy (must be something in the MSU water), his competitiveness, his skillset, and his body frame. His upper body as a freshman looked unbelievable, compared to most 19 year old prospects he looked massive.

Star level athleticism, but he's really going to have to prove his role/position/skill-set this year, which I think he might struggle to do.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#444 » by jonjames » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 am

His frame is big for any swingman in the nba let alone a freshman.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#445 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Love the guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a huge year, they made a huge tourney run, and he turned into a top-2 prospect.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#446 » by Catchall » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 pm

With athletic wings, a key is whether they can develop their handle, make plays with the pass, and make reads to become a triple-threat player. That really opens up their game. Bridges can shoot and score the ball well. He can make athletic plays. It's just a question of whether he can be a complete player. I like him more than Tatum.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#447 » by Justwar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:From all reports Ayton is blowing away ppl with his work ethic during the strength & conditioning programs. The fact that he's on campus me think he won't pull a Ferguson at the last minute.

Very good to hear. I think choosing Zona and playing for Miller was an unbelievably smart choice for Ayton. There is no doubt Miller is going to push him like hes never been pushed before. And if he is truly motivated and plays with a motor, that is great for Zona, the draft and the NBA. Ayton with a motor and work ethic is a better prospect than KAT was coming out of college in my opinion.

Man I really hope Bagley joins this class and everyone lives up to their hype and we get a truly stud top 5 of Bagley, Ayton, Porter, Bamba and Doncic. After getting a class filled we PGs, we get a stud class with the smallest guy in the top 5 is 6'8.

The thing ayton needs most is to work on his post moves in college and not worry about threes. That's what forced towns into getting better.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#448 » by CptCrunch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 pm

So 2018 will be the draft of the bigs. 6 to 7 of the top 10 will be taller than 6'10"

MPJ, Bamba, Ayton, Carter, Bagley, Jackson are probably all top 10 picks.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,665

Post#449 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:47 pm

paulbball wrote:So 2018 will be the draft of the bigs. 6 to 7 of the top 10 will be taller than 6'10"

The complete opposite of this past year's draft which was basically all PGs and SFs. Next year we get a nice influx of PFs and Cs. Then the year after that we will get a couple guys that can play SG with Langford, Barrett and Reddish (I know he is a SF but has the skills to play SG).

I mean next year's draft, the shortest guy in the top 5 is probably going to be Doncic at 6'8 and the shortest guy in the top 7-8 might end up being Bridges at 6'7. We are getting a ton of size next year into the NBA. Really good to see.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#450 » by The-Power » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:47 am

Duke4life831 wrote:The complete opposite of this past year's draft which was basically all PGs and SFs.

Let's wait and see who of the so-called SFs will actually play the majority of their minutes at the 3. Isaac certainly isn't a 3 in my eyes, Tatum is probably going to see a lot of minutes at the 4 and Jackson will also play small-ball 4 I'd guess (though he's most likely going to be a SF most of the time).

Duke4life831 wrote:Then the year after that we will get a couple guys that can play SG with Langford, Barrett and Reddish (I know he is a SF but has the skills to play SG).

What is the difference in terms of the required skill-set between SF and SG if I may ask? Anyhow, Reddish has the potential to be a great secondary playmaker (maybe that's what you referred to) and might even be a capable Point Forward down the road if he develops well. He's going to get as far as his attitude carries him. Unfortunately, attitude appears to be a concern with him.

Re: Next year's draft. Yes, it will definitely be a draft of big guys. In my preliminary top 6 (in alphabetical order: Ayton, Bamba, T. Brown, Doncic, Jackson, Porter) there's only one guard (who might even be able to play SF in the NBA). Even the Top 10 Big Board might not have another Guard with players like Carter, Bridges, Williams, Richards and potentially Knox, Vanderbilt and Robinson looking in.

That being said, most of the players mentioned above are freshmen and I don't necessarily expect them to pan out as the class of 2017 did, so the rankings are unquestionably influenced by optimistic projections. It wouldn't surprise me if non-freshmen Guards such as B. Brown, Okogie, Graham and Melton (still hopeful that he can break out although it's not that likely) climb in the rankings soon (not sure how high, though) and with Sexton, Trent and Duval there are also three Guards coming into college next year who are talented and could easily impress even though I have my doubts regarding any of them.

I also hope Bonga can show some more next year in Germany but it's doubtful that he'll be a lottery prospect at this point (love his tools but I'm not sure he's going to be good and consistent enough to be a productive NBA player down the road, and if these doubts persist it's obviously going to hurt his draft stock a lot).
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#451 » by CptCrunch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 am

The-Power wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:The complete opposite of this past year's draft which was basically all PGs and SFs.

Let's wait and see who of the so-called SFs will actually play the majority of their minutes at the 3. Isaac certainly isn't a 3 in my eyes, Tatum is probably going to see a lot of minutes at the 4 and Jackson will also play small-ball 4 I'd guess (though he's most likely going to be a SF most of the time).

Duke4life831 wrote:Then the year after that we will get a couple guys that can play SG with Langford, Barrett and Reddish (I know he is a SF but has the skills to play SG).

What is the difference in terms of the required skill-set between SF and SG if I may ask? Anyhow, Reddish has the potential to be a great secondary playmaker (maybe that's what you referred to) and might even be a capable Point Forward down the road if he develops well. He's going to get as far as his attitude carries him. Unfortunately, attitude appears to be a concern with him.

Re: Next year's draft. Yes, it will definitely be a draft of big guys. In my preliminary top 6 (in alphabetical order: Ayton, Bamba, T. Brown, Doncic, Jackson, Porter) there's only one guard (who might even be able to play SF in the NBA). Even the Top 10 Big Board might not have another Guard with players like Carter, Bridges, Williams, Richards and potentially Knox, Vanderbilt and Robinson looking in.

That being said, most of the players mentioned above are freshmen and I don't necessarily expect them to pan out as the class of 2017 did, so the rankings are unquestionably influenced by optimistic projections. It wouldn't surprise me if non-freshmen Guards such as B. Brown, Okogie, Graham and Melton (still hopeful that he can break out although it's not that likely) climb in the rankings soon (not sure how high, though) and with Sexton, Trent and Duval there are also three Guards coming into college next year who are talented and could easily impress even though I have my doubts regarding any of them.

I also hope Bonga can show some more next year in Germany but it's doubtful that he'll be a lottery prospect at this point (love his tools but I'm not sure he's going to be good and consistent enough to be a productive NBA player down the road, and if these doubts persist it's obviously going to hurt his draft stock a lot).

SG is just a point guard without the vision. It is also a SF without the height/length.

Largely redundant position. Also reason why the current NBA SG stock is so weak. Maybe because all the damn SG worth a damn are labeled as PG or SF.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#452 » by Catchall » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:34 am

What are people's thoughts on Chemezie Metu finding his way into the end of the lottery in 2018? He has some really great tools and is a late bloomer, which suggests he can keep improving for a few years.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#453 » by Justwar » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 pm

The-Power wrote:

Your probably not getting all those guys btw duke, get Langford and maybe reddish. Reddish loved his experience under Cal. Langford hated it, because he has been lazy and people think he's overselling back injuries. And barrett is someone ky has been involved with forever. And a huge Canadian pipeline
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#454 » by The-Power » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Catchall wrote:What are people's thoughts on Chemezie Metu finding his way into the end of the lottery in 2018? He has some really great tools and is a late bloomer, which suggests he can keep improving for a few years.

I've watched quite a lot of USC last season but I've never really bought into the slowly increasing Metu-hype to be honest. Yes, he has some nice tools but his feel for the game leaves a lot to be desired, his defense is inconsistent and not fundamentally sound, his length is average at best (as a PF) to downright worrisome (as a C). The fact that his offensive game has developed a bit later during the season (some midrange shooting, a few post moves) means little to me with the possible exception of his improved passing game – but I doubt he'll ever be good enough in this aspect that it really matters. He could carve out a role in the NBA (as a solid defender who can run the floor and finish above the rim) but I don't see lottery pick material yet. But maybe he shows considerable improvement in the areas I mentioned above and I'm going to change my opinion next season. I'll definitely catch as many USC games as possible again and he's obviously one of their prospects-to-watch along with Melton and O'Bannon.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,048

Post#455 » by wablty » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:16 pm

I think he's very good and probably would/should have gone in the top 10-12 this year. Obviously he looks the part and he was highly productive. Seems very Shawn Mariony, but with a shot.

The other Big Ten sophomore to be I'd keep an eye on is Amir Coffey. His body needs some work as he's rail thin and you'd like to see his shot improve both from a consistency and mechanics (he kind of drags it over the body), but he's a 6'8" 2 that can handle the ball a bit and create for teammates. If he can start hitting from 3 more consistently, he kind of seems like a bigger southpaw version of Kerry Kittles. Or Corey Brewer. Hard to say. He's worth keeping tabs on to see how he develops though. Basketball family, sister in the WNBA and his dad had a cup of coffee in the NBA and played overseas for a while. Not a crazy athlete, but he's a long wing with some skill.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#456 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:09 pm

paulbball wrote:So 2018 will be the draft of the bigs. 6 to 7 of the top 10 will be taller than 6'10"

Maybe Mitchell Robinson also, he looked really good in the camps/McD's game. Not sure where he's transferring to but I'm guessing where ever it is he'll get more attention than W. Kentucky. Williams could also be a top ten pick also.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,048

Post#457 » by wablty » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:48 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:

Maybe Mitchell Robinson also, he looked really good in the camps/McD's game. Not sure where he's transferring to but I'm guessing where ever it is he'll get more attention than W. Kentucky. Williams could also be a top ten pick also.

Robert Williams would have likely been a lotto or close pick this year. If he shows improvement offensively, he might go top 5. That length and athletic ability is really rare. He's basically a young Kenyon Martin and can probably defend several positions. Should have gone out IMO.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#458 » by Leprechaun18 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 12:04 pm

It looks like Nick Richards is forming a Uno Brow? Calipari is at it again.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#459 » by 13th Man » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm doubling down on Michael Porter Jr. he's going to be a star in the NBA for sure.

zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 501

Post#460 » by zike_42 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 am

Watching Texas playing Melbourne United in Australia and it's the first time seeing Mo Bamba. Oh my goodness, he's so LOOOOONG. I'm surprised he can't tie his showlaces standing up! Melbourne's star guard (Chris Goulding) hit a couple of threes so Texas put Bamba on him which is surprising but also is a good sign.

Return to NBA Draft