Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,665

Re: Rank the 2017 PGs 

Post#21 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:23 pm

If Smith Jr is the same as he was pre injury it's easily him. He's the best PG prospect we have seen in a few years. Elite of the elite athletes and the thing that separates him from other great athletic PGs is he can score from all levels. Most athletic PGs struggle shooting the ball, Smith Jr doesn't. The kid is a freak
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#22 » by jonjames » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:44 pm

toussaud wrote:
As for Malik Monk, the comparison I would go with is a smaller LaVine.

laVine is a better ball handler with better measurables.

wen you really sit down and watch him for a full game he's an odd guy to compare to. he plays like someone who is supposed to be 6'6 but he's really about 6'2. he's got a nice stroke but it's not elite. he's a volume scorer with elite, ELITE athleticism. he' s going to win a slam dunk contest.

the best comparison i can think of is Shannon Brown

Monk is pretty unique he plays like a 6'3 Durant way he moves and pulls up on the court or a taller Lou Williams back in high school. pro comparison: maybe a less power more finesse version of Eric Gordon/mini Ben McLemore?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#23 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 8, 2016 7:11 pm

Wanna revive this thread a little real quick because I feel like this whole thing could become pretty fluid over the NCAA season. Right now we have:

Markelle Fultz
Dennis Smith Jr.
Lonzo Ball
DeAaron Fox
Frank Jackson
Edmond Sumner
Jawun Evans
Melo Trimble
Nigel Williams Goss
Isaiah Briscoe

and we'll toss in Malik Monk and Grayson Allen for those who see them as PGs or believe they need to develop PG skills for the next level.

Now granted a lot of these kids don't really belong in the convo but like I said everything will more than likely be fluid this season and anything can happen in terms of prospect projection as we saw last year with Skal. Also I didn't include international kids not as a slight but because we won't really get to watch them the same way we'll get to see the American kids.

Of the names listed and feel free to add more (NCAA players only please) what are the tiers we're looking at talent wise? General consensus being that Fultz/Smith are tier 1 are there any other kids in that grouping? Does Lonzo Ball just miss that cut? Where do you rank these kids. as an update. Not trying to hi-jack OP's topic just wanna keep the thread active.

I have

DSJ, Fultz, Lonzo as tier one with each bringing something different yet necessary to the position.

Could just be enamored with the kid but I think Frank Jackson ranks right in that convo and may translate better to the league right out the gates than DeAaron Fox

Don't think Monk is or will be a PG he especially won't gain that skillset at UK with Fox and Briscoe but he is a talent.

I think everybody else after that is looking for a spot with Sumner separating from that pack.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Aug 8, 2016 8:12 pm

I think its going to be pretty hard to get a good read on Frank this year. I am very high on him, I compare him to Fultz and I give the edge to Frank in a lot of categories: athleticism, shooting, ability to finish at the rim. Fultz has the size (height and length), ball handling and the passing advantage over Frank.

The reason I think its going to be hard to get a good read on Frank this year is the team Duke has. He is going to be surrounded by some elite offensive weapons in Grayson, Tatum, Luke Kennard and the bevy of talented big men Duke has. So you can see a lineup where defenses may look at Frank as the 5th option. Frank has a chance to put up really good efficient numbers because of the talent around him. While guys like DSJ and Fultz will no doubt put up bigger numbers but their efficiency could suffer because they dont have the situation Frank has.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 8, 2016 8:34 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think its going to be pretty hard to get a good read on Frank this year. I am very high on him, I compare him to Fultz and I give the edge to Frank in a lot of categories: athleticism, shooting, ability to finish at the rim. Fultz has the size (height and length), ball handling and the passing advantage over Frank.

The reason I think its going to be hard to get a good read on Frank this year is the team Duke has. He is going to be surrounded by some elite offensive weapons in Grayson, Tatum, Luke Kennard and the bevy of talented big men Duke has. So you can see a lineup where defenses may look at Frank as the 5th option. Frank has a chance to put up really good efficient numbers because of the talent around him. While guys like DSJ and Fultz will no doubt put up bigger numbers but their efficiency could suffer because they dont have the situation Frank has.

I've never looked at numbers at that level as the indicator of talent. Kid has translatable skills. Still needs to learn how to play the position a little and I think that's what i'll be looking for this year at Duke. But his catch and shoot is money, well paced, in terms of strength at the cup I think only DSJ rivals him with Frank being just a smidgen below Fultz and Smith in terms of body control in air. As long as it looks like he can stay in front of an NBA level PG and efficiently run an offense he checks everything else in the box for me. Size, bounce, finishing, jumper, high IQ, plays well with or without talent around him. Another thing I love about him that I also love about Fultz is that they're both new to being this good. Which tells me there is still growth to be made because they'll learn how to better use their skillsets.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#26 » by Skin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm

Which PG is the best shooter?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Skin wrote:Which PG is the best shooter?

I'd probably say Frank Jackson or Markelle Fultz. They all need work though.
Watch More Basketball

Skin
RealGM

Post#28 » by Skin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:54 pm

Marcus wrote:

Magic need a shooter. I've been a Fox fan, but still don't know enough about the PG class. Just love that it's going to be a strong one. Who do you think would be ideal for the Magic? They probably won't be picking in the Top 5.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#29 » by BillyKingGM » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Skin wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Magic need a shooter. I've been a Fox fan, but still don't know enough about the PG class. Just love that it's going to be a strong one. Who do you think would be ideal for the Magic? They probably won't be picking in the Top 5.

I'd stick with Payton and pick up more well rounded players at your other guard and wing positions.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Skin wrote:
Marcus wrote:

best fit in terms of the PGs in question would probably be Fultz since he can play both on and off the ball. Since you project outside of the top five I'd say Terrance Ferguson. He's a wing but probably the closest thing to knockdown in this class, ridiculous bounce, thin frame but with a little size added could be ideal for 3 and D. I'd probably right now consider Ferg to have the potential to be everything Terrance Ross was/is supposed to be.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Marcus wrote:

Ya if you toss Frank in their with that group, he's the best shooter out of all of them, catch and shoot and especially off the dribble
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Ya if you toss Frank in their with that group, he's the best shooter out of all of them, catch and shoot and especially off the dribble

Yeah as of right now I'd say he has it locked in that aspect until Dennis can show consistency and Markelle can show deep consistency. Frank has those things over both of them right now.

I don't know anything about German Frank. Fox is even more streaky/inconsistent than Dennis is right now. Same can be said for Monk. Lonzo needs to answer his mechanical translation questions before even being ranked in this group for shooting.
Watch More Basketball

Skin
RealGM

Post#33 » by Skin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Yeah as of right now I'd say he has it locked in that aspect until Dennis can show consistency and Markelle can show deep consistency. Frank has those things over both of them right now.

I don't know anything about German Frank. Fox is even more streaky/inconsistent than Dennis is right now. Same can be said for Monk. Lonzo needs to answer his mechanical translation questions before even being ranked in this group for shooting.

Been watching youtube the last hour... these kids sure seem talented. Gonna be a fun college basketball season for fans looking at PG talent!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Skin wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Been watching youtube the last hour... these kids sure seem talented. Gonna be a fun college basketball season for fans looking at PG talent!

This class in general is gonna be nice near the top.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:07 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Oh I don't even have Fox in the same category as the other guys. Frank is a good shooter, Fultz/DSJ are inconsistent shooters but with good form so shooting shouldn't be an issue a couple years in. Fox is just a bad shooter. His shot is pretty damn slow, I have a hard time ever seeing him being a good shooter. I can see him having a few seasons as an average shooter but most seasons as a bad shooter. I don't consider Fox in the same elite group as Fultz/DSJ/Ball as overall prospects. I even have him behind Frank.

Ball has the best shooting numbers but that form is just a massive question mark. Have to wait and see for him when it comes to that jumper
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 pm

Skin wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Fox is not a good match for the Magic. He's basically Payton. But I'd take Payton over Fox. Fultz or Frank fit the best alongside Payton
Skin
RealGM

Post#37 » by Skin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:36 am

I wonder which teams with potential lottery picks would take PGs...

PHI - Yes - McConnell
SAC - Yes - Collison
ORL - Yes - Payton
CHI - Yes - Rondo
DAL - Yes - Deron
HOU - Yes - Beverly

BOS - Maybe - Isaiah Thomas
NOR - Maybe - Holiday (FA)
NYK - Maybe - Rose
MIL - Maybe - MWC/Delly
UTA - Maybe - Hill (FA), Exum

LAL - No - Russell
PHX - No - Bledsoe/Knight
MIN - No - Dunn
DEN - No - Mudiay
WAS - No - Wall
POR - No - Lillard
CHA - No - Walker

If that's somewhat the case, then how about the player fits in this mock?

PHI - Dennis Smith
SAC - Markelle Fultz
ORL - Frank Jackson
CHI - Frank Ntilikina
DAL - De'Aaron Fox
HOU - Lonzo Ball
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#38 » by NYCLaker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Lakers are going to take a guard if we get a top 3 pick...

Ideally, we would take a healthy Giles, however, health as the biggest red flag, there is a good chance we take Smith, Jackson or whatever wing player.... Russ can move to the 2 as the lead guard and the rookie can play the 1 or if it's Jackson, the 2-3.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#39 » by No-Man » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Charlotte, Cleveland, Denver, Golden St., LAC, Memphis, Minnesota, Portland, Toronto, and Washington are the only teams that close to 100% wont draft a lead guard early in the Draft, the rest? all could.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Skin wrote:I wonder which teams with potential lottery picks would take PGs...

PHI - Yes - McConnell
SAC - Yes - Collison
ORL - Yes - Payton
CHI - Yes - Rondo
DAL - Yes - Deron
HOU - Yes - Beverly

BOS - Maybe - Isaiah Thomas
NOR - Maybe - Holiday (FA)
NYK - Maybe - Rose
MIL - Maybe - MWC/Delly
UTA - Maybe - Hill (FA), Exum

LAL - No - Russell
PHX - No - Bledsoe/Knight
MIN - No - Dunn
DEN - No - Mudiay
WAS - No - Wall
POR - No - Lillard
CHA - No - Walker

If that's somewhat the case, then how about the player fits in this mock?

PHI - Dennis Smith
SAC - Markelle Fultz
ORL - Frank Jackson
CHI - Frank Ntilikina
DAL - De'Aaron Fox
HOU - Lonzo Ball

if the Pels end up underachieving yet again this year and find themselves in a position to take a PG I think they should absolutely jump on the Lonzo Ball and draft him. He'd fit perfect with that team I think.

Speaking of Lonzo he looked pretty solid in his PS debut with UCLA out in Sydney. Showed off the vision and court awareness.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft