Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Who's the better prospect: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Josh Jackson
54%
Andrew Wiggins
46%

Total votes: 228

Johnny Be Goode
Freshman
And1: 29

Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#1 » by Johnny Be Goode » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:14 am

Two 6'8 Kansas SG/SFs with similar size, athleticism and lanky body build.

Who do you think is the better prospect?

Seems like Josh is the better all around player while Wiggins is maybe a bit more explosive, better shooter and better at getting to the line.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Andrew-Wiggins-6191/

Here's the new scouting report of Josh from DX:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-NBA-Prospects-in-the-Big-12-Part-One-Josh-Jackson-Scouting-Video-5671/
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Re: Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#2 » by crazy_me_87 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:31 am

I think Wiggins is more of the freak athlete and Josh is a bit more well rounded. Quite a bit even.
Josh is better at Rebounding,Passing,Ball Handling and he has that agressive edge that many think Wiggins lacks/lacked.

Wiggins is propably better at getting to the Line and his Post Game for such a young Wing is incredible.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,648

Post#3 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

I think its Jackson. Wiggins is the better athlete slightly but it isnt by much and Josh is a freak athlete himself. I think Josh's skill set is slightly ahead of Wiggins when Wiggins was heading into Kansas, but the big difference maker is the mindset. Josh has that alpha dog killer mindset that Wiggins doesnt. Josh can be Tracy Mcgrady good, similar size, athleticism and mentality.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#4 » by Prez » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Wiggins is a better athletic talent, Jackson the better basketball talent imo. With Wiggins I see a freak athlete with some promising basketball tools (post game, developing jumpshot, spin move, decent footwork, etc)...with Jackson I see a super talented all-around basketball player who happens to be crazy athletic. I think Jackson is a guy you can build around as a #1 option, I think Wiggins' lack of dynamic ball handling will limit him to 2nd option level (no that that's a bad thing with KAT around).
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#5 » by CptCrunch » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 am

Josh Jackson is 90% the athlete Wiggins is, but has the basketball IQ and assertiveness that Wiggins lacks (until he proves otherwise)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#6 » by Marcus » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:46 pm

pretty much agree with everything stated here. Not a huge gap in athleticism to really fret over. Have similar weaknesses. They have the ability to do some of the same things on both ends. Jackson takes the edge with playmaking as a skill. The glaring difference between the two is the passion. Josh plays like he's one bad practice away from getting cut, motor runs hot always. No back down, no hiding in the background, no question of his engagement in the game, you always know when he's on the floor, no coasting in that kid.

Tools wise, on paper, and playing 2K its pretty much a wash in what both can do. How they go about using those tools in the difference.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#7 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Oct 2, 2016 2:10 am

I think Jackson is clearly a better prospect than Wiggins. The only red flag Jackson has is his age may inflate his HS performance.

Jackson is a lot more skilled than Wiggins is in nearly every asset in basketball, and has a killer motor as well.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#8 » by reanimator » Sun Oct 2, 2016 4:34 am

JJ is a better 2-way player with more advanced ball skills and motor. Wiggins is the better halfcourt scorer with better physical tools.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#9 » by Justwar » Sun Oct 2, 2016 4:35 pm

We didn't know Wiggins had any red flags till he got to college tbh, so lets see how jackson plays out. Jackson has hype going for him but so did Wiggins
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#10 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Oct 2, 2016 5:09 pm

Justwar wrote:We didn't know Wiggins had any red flags till he got to college tbh, so lets see how jackson plays out. Jackson has hype going for him but so did Wiggins

Not really, Wiggins' lack of handles and motor were questions also. His youtube mixtapes just got such hype that a lot of people ignored his criticisms.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#11 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:50 pm

I think the athleticism gap is bigger than people seem to let on.

Jackson projects as a plus-athlete, but Wiggins is a freak show in terms of bounce/length.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:27 pm

Justwar wrote:We didn't know Wiggins had any red flags till he got to college tbh, so lets see how jackson plays out. Jackson has hype going for him but so did Wiggins

I don't know who you're talking about as "we" but this isn't true. Wiggins disappearing in games and questions of his motor went back to when he first started getting recruited. Plus people have always questioned his handle which is still a major issue for him and his jumper has always had solid form but he's always been inconsistent with it. And he's always had all the physical tools to be an elite defender but never has been one, actually always has been pretty below average on that side of the ball. All of those issues still exist today (except his shooting, the dude was pretty lights out after the all star break) and all of those issues were being talked about back in his high school days.

Wiggins was considered an elite prospect because of his physical attributes, legit 6'8, long arms and a freak athlete which made his defensive potential high, plus he had good shooting form. He's always had the other question marks though
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:38 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I think the athleticism gap is bigger than people seem to let on.

Jackson projects as a plus-athlete, but Wiggins is a freak show in terms of bounce/length.

I agree Wiggins is a freak athlete. But if you think Jackson projects as only a plus-athlete than I don't know what Josh Jackson you've been watching. Jackson at 6-8 is one of the best athletes in this class and this is one of the most athletic classes we have seen in a long time.

The gap Wiggins has on Jackson athletically is smaller than the gap Jackson has on Wiggins when it comes to actual basketball skills and mentality
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#14 » by Upperclass » Mon Oct 3, 2016 9:03 pm

I see Jackson as a Crash(Gerald Wallace) type of player.. Lots of steals, blocks, a few boards, lesser scoring focus.. vs Wiggins as a Rudy Gay.. mindless scorer who doesnt do much else. Who's better depends on team need.. but I think Josh will be more impactful
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#15 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 3, 2016 9:08 pm

Upperclass wrote:I see Jackson as a Crash(Gerald Wallace) type of player.. Lots of steals, blocks, a few boards, lesser scoring focus.. vs Wiggins as a Rudy Gay.. mindless scorer who doesnt do much else. Who's better depends on team need.. but I think Josh will be more impactful

is that all you see from Josh? a Gerald Wallace type contributor?

Is there something in his skillset you see not translating at the NBA level?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#16 » by Upperclass » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:09 pm

He's not a polished offensive player to me. He's a bad shooter and part of it is between the ears and part of it is imo, genetic makeup.. He's a bit of a wild, unpredictable player mentally. He also lacks length, so he makeups for it in effort. I just dont think you can easily become a tier 1 defender and a tier 1 offensive player in the nba.. and I think he will defer to his natural instincts and become an unbelievable utility player and a solid spot scorer. Primary reason that I wouldnt take him over a Fultz or DSJ in the draft. Even Tatum i think will become a better nba scorer.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#17 » by reanimator » Tue Oct 4, 2016 3:09 pm

At worst, JJ is an Iggy type player if he doesn't develop in the half-court.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#18 » by Mattya » Tue Oct 4, 2016 5:43 pm

Jackson has always seemed like an overrated prospect to me. Good skill/athleticism combo but being a year older than your class is a big advantage. I'd be shocked if Jackson's rookie year will be as good as Wiggins was last year. Wiggins gets underrated. Still has a ton of scoring potential on top of what he has already shown and is a very good defender one on one. Let's see what next year under Thibs does for Wiggins team defense.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#19 » by freewhitemoon » Wed Oct 5, 2016 11:01 am

reanimator wrote:At worst, JJ is an Iggy type player if he doesn't develop in the half-court.

So his floor is an all time great defensive player? :lol:
reanimator
Analyst

Post#20 » by reanimator » Wed Oct 5, 2016 1:53 pm

freewhitemoon wrote:
reanimator wrote:At worst, JJ is an Iggy type player if he doesn't develop in the half-court.

So his floor is an all time great defensive player? :lol:

yeah, i believe so....not sure where the humor.

Return to NBA Draft