Markelle Fultz

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Re: Markelle Fultz 

Post#241 » by DK-All Day » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

These great prospects are going to have to stop going to these trash schools. Wasted at Washington. Might not make the the tournament.
Handsome.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#242 » by cksdayoff » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:39 pm

DK-All Day wrote:These great prospects are going to have to stop going to these trash schools. Wasted at Washington. Might not make the the tournament.

Markelle Fultz commited to Washington in Aug. 2015

Dejounte Murray and Marquese Chriss declared for the draft in March 2016 (both were selected in the 1st round)

There was no indication of them leaving for the NBA. It blindsided Washington.
#failforfultz
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,648

Post#243 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:53 pm

cksdayoff wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:These great prospects are going to have to stop going to these trash schools. Wasted at Washington. Might not make the the tournament.

Dejounte Murray and Marquese Chriss declared for the draft in March 2016 (both were selected in the 1st round)

Still dont think they wouldve made much noise. Romar is truly an awful head coach. They wouldve struggled to make it to the tourney this year. Sucks seeing Fultz and DSJ being wasted on these crap teams.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#244 » by Marcus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:

Still dont think they wouldve made much noise. Romar is truly an awful head coach. They wouldve struggled to make it to the tourney this year. Sucks seeing Fultz and DSJ being wasted on these crap teams.

I take it you expect similar results with Porter next season.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,648

Post#245 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:

I take it you expect similar results with Porter next season.

Sadly ya. Porter has actually slowly grown on me over the past few months, so its going to suck to see him waste a year up in UW for a terrible team that barely plays any big games and will be god awful and not come close to the tourney. They actually got 2 solid 4 star guards to sign as well, just with Romar it doesnt matter, he could have all the talent in the world and it wont matter.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,380

Post#246 » by robbie84 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 pm

The more I watch of Fultz, I've realized that he does have superstar, franchise level player potential.

He has 'it' that the guys like Westbrook, Harden and Curry all have. Just puts the ball in the hoop in ways that 95% of other NBA players would never dream of.

He's going to come in and kill it pretty much from day 1.

Just a completely dominating scorer and playmaker. Size, enough athleticism to let his instincts and anticipatory senses get him over the 'superstar' line.

God It would be amazing to have this kid play next to Isaiah Thomas off the ball.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
robbie84
Lead Assistant

Post#247 » by robbie84 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Upperclass wrote:He has some of the best touch of any guard ive seen.. its uncanny. Very Kyrie-like.. but their games arent very similar otherwise. He plays and moves like someone much taller.

I haven't seen a guard dominate with the ball in his hands like this since Kyrie.
This guy is freakin amazing.
He isn't even trying on a lot of this stuff because it comes so easily to him.

To see a guy who is this crafty and long, who has the ball on a string whilst being able to get into the paint AND shoot from three is extremely rare.

I can't remember ever seeing a college player dominate in the pick and roll like this since Chris Paul- he is unstoppable in the pick and roll with his handles, length and range.

God what could he be doing in 5 years time in the NBA?
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#248 » by cksdayoff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't think his handles are great --- yet. They're a bit loose, not so much so that it will be a detriment when he dribbles into the paint. He has pretty good handles, i just think they can use a bit of work...need to be tightened up a little. This guy has a great work ethic, and that work ethic should turn him into an elite shooter and just an overall great scorer. The guy wants to be an all-time great, so if he has the work ethic (which he does), the sky is really the limit for this kid.

Also, this guy just goes about his business scoring 25+ points every night. There is no show boating with him unlike some other guys. I really like that quiet demeanor.

The Utes announcers couldn't stop talking about Fultz during the game. Tried to squash every negative aspects about him during the broadcast
#failforfultz
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#249 » by Upperclass » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:22 pm

I rarely say this about any prospect.. but he honestly looks like a future HOFer. He makes scoring 30 look extremely effortless and even amongst all of the losing.. keeps playing hard, encouraging teammates and "Trying" to win. I dont see anyway he isnt #1 overall
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#250 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:04 pm

robbie84 wrote:The more I watch of Fultz, I've realized that he does have superstar, franchise level player potential.

He has 'it' that the guys like Westbrook, Harden and Curry all have. Just puts the ball in the hoop in ways that 95% of other NBA players would never dream of.

Just a completely dominating scorer and playmaker. Size, enough athleticism to let his instincts and anticipatory senses get him over the 'superstar' line.

God It would be amazing to have this kid play next to Isaiah Thomas off the ball.

It would be much better to have him play next to Bradley, Isaiah is great and all but down the road if Boston gets Fultz, he is gonna end up out, just in part due to not risking paying up to 35m$ per year to a 5'9 29-30 year old Guard that will get beaten as a weak link of your lineup in the Playoffs all day long matchups-wise.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#251 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Upperclass wrote:I rarely say this about any prospect.. but he honestly looks like a future HOFer. He makes scoring 30 look extremely effortless and even amongst all of the losing.. keeps playing hard, encouraging teammates and "Trying" to win. I dont see anyway he isnt #1 overall

I agree, don't recall seeing a prospect look so smooth on offense and just has the perfect build too.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#252 » by jrob23 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:24 pm

robbie84 wrote:The more I watch of Fultz, I've realized that he does have superstar, franchise level player potential.

completely disagree. I don't see his game translating to the extent that you and others are hyping. He has no left, his handle is loose, he's not a great athlete, man defender and he's a chucker. Most of these drives you are seeing him take and finish in college will not happen in the NBA. If you take that away you are left with a very good player but not worth taking over the other guys whose games will translate to the next level. Because of the hype he has a huge bust risk. If people didn't proclaim him to be a superstar and clear cut #1 than he could be taken mid to late lottery and he'd be fine. As it stand, I'm afraid there might be a dozen plus guys taken after him who have better NBA careers.
robbie84
Lead Assistant

Post#253 » by robbie84 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 pm

jrob23 wrote:

completely disagree. I don't see his game translating to the extent that you and others are hyping. He has no left, his handle is loose, he's not a great athlete, man defender and he's a chucker. Most of these drives you are seeing him take and finish in college will not happen in the NBA. If you take that away you are left with a very good player but not worth taking over the other guys whose games will translate to the next level. Because of the hype he has a huge bust risk. If people didn't proclaim him to be a superstar and clear cut #1 than he could be taken mid to late lottery and he'd be fine. As it stand, I'm afraid there might be a dozen plus guys taken after him who have better NBA careers.

How will he not finish in the NBA? The beauty of his game is that he doesn't need to get all the way to the basket because of his floaters and pull up/step back game. He's in the 90th percentile of pull up jump shooters in the NCAA He's shooting 41% from three and 49%FG overall. How is that a chucker?
He's not a Westbrook level athlete, but he's deceptively athletic and crafty and his 6'10 Wingspan and enormous hands make up for much of his athletic shortcomings ala Paul Pierce or Rondo (to a fellow Celtics fan). Steph Curry and Harden come to mind too.
Have you seen his numerous chase down blocks where he looks like he's jogging from behind and then explodes to pin the ball against the backboard vs an opponents fast break layup attempt? In fact he's a better athlete than those mentioned above given he can dunk from the free throw line and throw down reverse windmills etc..watch some of his high school mixtapes in dunk competitions if you need further proof of just how athletic he is.

You're saying he won't finish these drives but you haven't explained why. His pick and roll play is the most important part of why he's a 'sure thing' so far. He makes very few bad decisions in the pick and roll and has complete and utter control with the ball in his hands. Isaiah Thomas rarely goes right because he manipulates the offense to get to his spot. Same as Harden. Same as Kyrie and CP3. His handle has improved immensely in the last 5 months and it's obviously something he's been working on, his handle in the open court and pick and roll should be considered elite now when you consider how good he is with the pause dribble as a way to create space vs opponents.
Fultz is 18 years old and given his work ethic and propensity to show improvement in his handle in just 4 months one can only imagine what Brad Stevens could do with this kid in 5 years time.

We'll have to disagree but there's a reason he's being called a 'sure thing' and is the clear cut number one pick thus far.
He is complete triple threat on offense. Eventually he'll get his FT shooting to 80% plus and he'll be even more dangerous. Here's a good video highlighting some things you may not have seen yet about his offensive game...
Thankyou Brooklyn for the chance to dream that the Celtics might actually get a prospect like this.

I_Never Lied
Pro Prospect
And1: 377

Post#254 » by I_Never Lied » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:29 pm

jrob23 wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:34-7-3-2-2 today.

I wouldn't draft TJ Leaf ahead of him.

Michael Jordan won 1 playoff game in the NBA before he was 25.

Exactly my point and why I'm alone in my opinion. You'll see him doing this against scrub teams and want to believe he'll be able to do it in the NBA. Steve Alford and his son Brian had/have games like this all the time but neither could play in the NBA. Fultz is a chucker who attacks the basket and gets to the line. He won't be able to do that as successfully at the next level imho. Take that away he's a combo guard with very little else to offer.

Yeah, I take Leaf and many others over Futlz now obviously since I don't think he'll be all that special in the NBA. This is based on what I've seen up to this point. It's still early. Maybe a fire is lit under him and he raises his game defensively and gives me some examples of translatable elite athleticism. But I doubt it because he just isn't that guy

I think you're missing whats special about him. Yes he doesn't look hyper athletic but you don't need to be when you are executing your dribble moves with 100% precision. You only need to get your defender off balance. Why do you consider Fultz a chucker when he is shooting 40%?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#255 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:02 am

I always found the idea that a player couldn't finish at the NBA level when he can easily do so at the college level somewhat ludicrous. The spacing and the three second rule have made lanes far more open to drive in than they would ever be at the college level.
jrob23
Starter

Post#256 » by jrob23 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:I always found the idea that a player couldn't finish at the NBA level when he can easily do so at the college level somewhat ludicrous. The spacing and the three second rule have made lanes far more open to drive in than they would ever be at the college level.

So it's ludicrous to think there's a talent gap from college to the NBA? They aren't taller, faster, better at the NBA level? lmao. okay. Thinking he'll be just as successful at his bread and butter i.e. dribble drive...at the NBA level is what is ludicrous. That's like saying "I always find it somewhat ludicrous that a great college scorer like Jimmy Fredette won't be able to score in the NBA"...or "it's ludicrous to think this 6'9" college center won't be able to block shots and play center at the next level".

Fultz will not be able to dribble drive against NBA caliber players like he can in college. He is not an above the rim type finisher that will overcome 7 footers coming at him if/when he does take the poorer defenders off the dribble like he does in college. Ludicrous? No...just common sense.

People act like just because I don't view him as a top 10 pick in a historically great draft that that means he sucks. No, it just means I don't see quite the upside and there's a risk involved with taking him high. I'd rather take the risk on the other 3 PGs and some of the elite wings and big men in this class. I can totally see Fultz eventually being a good starter but I'm not seeing All Star games.

Remember, I care more about redrafts after 3 years than where guys get drafted now. There are mostly idiots running these franchises. See you all in three years when I make a redraft thread!!
jrob23
Starter

Post#257 » by jrob23 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:07 am

I_Never Lied wrote:
jrob23 wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:34-7-3-2-2 today.

I wouldn't draft TJ Leaf ahead of him.

Michael Jordan won 1 playoff game in the NBA before he was 25.

Exactly my point and why I'm alone in my opinion. You'll see him doing this against scrub teams and want to believe he'll be able to do it in the NBA. Steve Alford and his son Brian had/have games like this all the time but neither could play in the NBA. Fultz is a chucker who attacks the basket and gets to the line. He won't be able to do that as successfully at the next level imho. Take that away he's a combo guard with very little else to offer.

Yeah, I take Leaf and many others over Futlz now obviously since I don't think he'll be all that special in the NBA. This is based on what I've seen up to this point. It's still early. Maybe a fire is lit under him and he raises his game defensively and gives me some examples of translatable elite athleticism. But I doubt it because he just isn't that guy

I think you're missing whats special about him. Yes he doesn't look hyper athletic but you don't need to be when you are executing your dribble moves with 100% precision. You only need to get your defender off balance. Why do you consider Fultz a chucker when he is shooting 40%?

By chucker I mean high usage like IT, Harden, Westbrook not %. And because I mostly care about my Celtics I don't think he's a good fit for us while we have IT. Are people really thinking that Fultz will someday score 28 ppg like IT? Too funny. Now if they take Fultz and move IT I'm fine with that and wouldn't be upset if the Celtics took him even at #1. Fultz is obviously doing extremely well in college as he should. I'm not missing what is special about him. I just don't think it's that translatable once he leaves college. I think Ball is an elite floor general and passer. I think Fox is as well but elite defensively and has huge offensive upside as he works on his shot. DSJ is the better PnR player and elite athlete of the bunch. Fultz is just behind them imo. He's also behind the best wings and big men imo too. Why is that received so poorly? Is it because groupthink has him as #1? Groupthink has been incredible wrong so many times you'd think people would eventually stop regurgitating opinions from DraftExpress and nbadraft.net.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#258 » by reanimator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:20 am

Fultz's pull-up is his bread and butter, not his ability to finish at the rim.
cksdayoff
RealGM

Post#259 » by cksdayoff » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:59 am

reanimator wrote:Fultz's pull-up is his bread and butter, not his ability to finish at the rim.

that's what's scary about his game. His ever improving jumper
#failforfultz
MrClass
Junior
And1: 347

Post#260 » by MrClass » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 am

jrob23 wrote:
I_Never Lied wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

By chucker I mean high usage like IT, Harden, Westbrook not %. And because I mostly care about my Celtics I don't think he's a good fit for us while we have IT. Are people really thinking that Fultz will someday score 28 ppg like IT? Too funny. Now if they take Fultz and move IT I'm fine with that and wouldn't be upset if the Celtics took him even at #1. Fultz is obviously doing extremely well in college as he should. I'm not missing what is special about him. I just don't think it's that translatable once he leaves college. I think Ball is an elite floor general and passer. I think Fox is as well but elite defensively and has huge offensive upside as he works on his shot. DSJ is the better PnR player and elite athlete of the bunch. Fultz is just behind them imo. He's also behind the best wings and big men imo too. Why is that received so poorly? Is it because groupthink has him as #1? Groupthink has been incredible wrong so many times you'd think people would eventually stop regurgitating opinions from DraftExpress and nbadraft.net.

we get it man, we are obsessed by draftexpress and we haven't TV for watching college basketball.

Return to NBA Draft