Sekou Doumbouya ('19)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,237

Re: Sekou Doumbouya ('19) 

Post#81 » by clyde21 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:33 am

GimmeDat wrote:Can Sekou play any 3 or is he a PF through and through?

Trying to find clips from his 34 point game now.

he can play both but I prefer him more at the 4
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#82 » by GimmeDat » Sun May 19, 2019 12:41 am

clyde21 wrote:

Yeah seems like it. Could be a good fit for the Bulls if he plays both forward spots off the bench for us starting off.. good compliment to Markkanen when you bump him up to the 5. Though that was my intended role for Porter as well.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#83 » by clyde21 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:17 am

GimmeDat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Yeah seems like it. Could be a good fit for the Bulls if he plays both forward spots off the bench for us starting off.. good compliment to Markkanen when you bump him up to the 5. Though that was my intended role for Porter as well.

i love his fit next to WC3 long term, maybe even more so than Markkanen's
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#84 » by Illmatic12 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:00 am

GimmeDat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Doumbouya is ~6'10 230lbs at 18 years old, pretty clear he will grow into an NBA 4. He also can't defend quicker guards all that well.
Problem with the Bulls fit is there's a logjam because Otto's best position is small ball PF, Markkanen's best position is small ball 5 and then you have to find minutes to develop WCJ at the 5 as well.

I can't see the Bulls picking someone who they won't be able to give consistent minutes for another 1-2 seasons. Just doesn't seem like their front office's MO, especially since they made the Otto move and probably want to shift more towards win-now. Coby White is a guy who they will be able to get on the court right away, seems like more of a natural fit. Just my two cents
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#85 » by GimmeDat » Sun May 19, 2019 6:23 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Doumbouya is ~6'10 230lbs at 18 years old, pretty clear he will grow into an NBA 4. He also can't defend quicker guards all that well.
Problem with the Bulls fit is there's a logjam because Otto's best position is small ball PF, Markkanen's best position is small ball 5 and then you have to find minutes to develop WCJ at the 5 as well.

I can't see the Bulls picking someone who they won't be able to give consistent minutes for another 1-2 seasons. Just doesn't seem like their front office's MO, especially since they made the Otto move and probably want to shift more towards win-now. Coby White is a guy who they will be able to get on the court right away, seems like more of a natural fit. Just my two cents

Definitely agree about White being a good fit - just not that enamoured with the talent, especially at 7. Feel like he's going to be a very good 3rd guard but that's about it.

Fit wise I also like Reddish so long as he doesn't completely bust, because he's pretty positionally versatile, in theory at least can initiate a bit, 2 way player, etc.

Trading for Lonzo might be a better option than both.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#86 » by No-Man » Sun May 19, 2019 9:44 am

No chance Sekou plays the 3 ever

I like Lonzo, and even though 7th in this class has lower value than in others, there is no chance you can justify trading it for Ball as of now, Lonzo's career+off-court stuff+his rookie deal been up in 2 summers, doesn't add up to that type of value whatsoever
clyde21
RealGM

Post#87 » by clyde21 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 am

Fischella wrote:No chance Sekou plays the 3 ever

if Gallo and Ingles can play the 3 so can Sekou.

he's more of a 4, but depending on lineups and match ups he can also drop to the 3
No-Man
RealGM

Post#88 » by No-Man » Sun May 19, 2019 9:51 am

clyde21 wrote:

he's more of a 4, but depending on lineups and match ups he can also drop to the 3

Dude, stop, Gallo has moves that Sekou is never ever going to have, and Gallo can't play the 3 cause he is cooked physically and on defense he is a turnstile these days but his on ball ability, pull-up and athleticism going to the basket were next level, Ingles has always been a play-maker, has a tight dribble for his height, great feel and gets low on defense, actually good defending Guards too (also hunched which weirdly enough helps)

Sekou might be able to defend certain 3s, that's fine, he is never going to be able to play that position on offense and don't suck at it
clyde21
RealGM

Post#89 » by clyde21 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:57 am

Fischella wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Dude, stop, Gallo has moves that Sekou is never ever going to have, and Gallo can't play the 3 cause he is cooked physically and on defense he is a turnstile these days but his on ball ability, pull-up and athleticism going to the basket were next level, Ingles has always been a play-maker, has a tight dribble for his height, great feel and gets low on defense, actually good defending Guards too (also hunched which weirdly enough helps)

Sekou might be able to defend certain 3s, that's fine, he is never going to be able to play that position on offense and don't suck at it

if he can defend 3s he can play the 3, offensively he still needs a lot of development on his live dribble and playmaking but he's far ahead of both at the same age tbh.

that said, 4 is his primary position but to act like he won't be able to play 3 at any point is nonsense. don't be an absolutest.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#90 » by No-Man » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

His live dribble is fine, he loses grip in transition at times but it's because of coordination and sometimes inexperience, he is still super young, has solid handles for his size and age actually

People overrate Sekou as an athlete, he is quick in a straight line and has really good fluidity for his size but he is not a great leaper at all, has okay-ish vertical explosion but like for example young Gallo had much better burst

Sekou's motor is his best trait athletically

I watched Gallo when he was 18-19-20 (played ULEB in 2006) if you think Sekou is ahead of him at the same age in terms of skills you are just out of your mind (no idea about Ingles, since he was over there down under), they were also not similar players, Gallo was kinda on-ball esp his last years

Gallinari was actually good at that age playing for a good team in a LEGA competition that was strong back then (not it sucks) probably stronger than the current french league, he started almost every game for a team that qualified for the EuroLeague the year after
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#91 » by GimmeDat » Sun May 19, 2019 10:34 am

Here you go guys -

Read on Twitter
?s=19&fbclid=IwAR1lXQpN0etNBEl2TXNCPzuTRPZgkj94clktAkPHfe-OeRaHHWGlmCab6Jo
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#92 » by The-Power » Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Here you go guys -

Very impressive. In this draft, a player with his potential should be looked at very early in the draft.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 843

Post#93 » by juanc » Sun May 19, 2019 2:33 pm

I was not high on Sekou at the start of the season, but he has really shown he can play. I think he can end up as a top5 player in this draft.

And BTW GimmeDat you the real MVP!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#94 » by Klomp » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 am

I think he'll go to either Atlanta (likeliest) or Minnesota
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#95 » by Ruzious » Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Everyone says he's so raw offensively and is more of a defensive prospect. Seems to me, he's closer offensively to being ready and is farther away defensively. He'll be a top 10 pick and have the effect of causing another player to slide a bit.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#96 » by VCfor3 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Klomp wrote:I think he'll go to either Atlanta (likeliest) or Minnesota

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Atlanta may go for Hayes instead if both are available at pick 10. There is speculation that Rui may have a promise from MIN. I don't know what direction WAS is looking to go but if they do grab Hayes then Sekou seems like a solid pick for Atlanta. Brandon Clarke may also be someone teams looking at Sekou consider even though his measurements were subpar.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#97 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:48 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Atlanta may go for Hayes instead if both are available at pick 10. There is speculation that Rui may have a promise from MIN. I don't know what direction WAS is looking to go but if they do grab Hayes then Sekou seems like a solid pick for Atlanta. Brandon Clarke may also be someone teams looking at Sekou consider even though his measurements were subpar.

I don’t know where the Hayes to Washington stuff is coming from , I’ve seen it a few places now. The Wiz literally have 3 centers lol (they’re also paying Dwight and Mahinmi), and Thomas Bryant is only 21yo and showed a lot of promise.

It seems like 8-9th would be the sweet spot for Doumbouya. Washington’s interim GM (Tommy Sheppard) is heavy on international scouting and that’s the type of prospect he would target, especially for a team that’s going to be in a developmental year. If Atlanta doesn’t take Sekou at #8 then he probably goes #9.

Also heard the reports about Minnesota giving a promise to Hachimura, I could see that happening if they’re planning on moving away from Saric.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#98 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:Everyone says he's so raw offensively and is more of a defensive prospect. Seems to me, he's closer offensively to being ready and is farther away defensively. He'll be a top 10 pick and have the effect of causing another player to slide a bit.

Coming from someone who’s watched a decent amount of film on him now, Doumbouya does have some major flaws that you wouldn’t see on his highlight tapes.

He’s a really poor finisher at the moment. Like , think rookie year Kelly Oubre in terms of his body control and finishing touch at the basket. I also wish Sekou had larger hands. There are times you see him bobbling rebounds/passes or missing dunks that he shouldn’t , and I wonder if he may struggle to compensate for having slightly small hands for his size.

Lastly , in general I’m not sure about his toughness and whether he will stick his nose in there and rebound against more physical 4s and 5s. That could be a youth thing though.

However Doumbouya seems to be improving very, very rapidly in a short period of time and I wouldn’t want to put a ceiling on him at such a young age. There are very positive reviews about his work ethic also which bodes well.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#99 » by No-Man » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

I think Bryant has shown promise on offense, on defense he is as bad as you can be as a Center and has very limited tools to improve, the Wizards def can use another Center, truly depends on their mindset in terms of building (more long-term, trading Beal vs. been competitive) but if pick up a big it should be Goga not Hayes
clyde21
RealGM

Post#100 » by clyde21 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I don’t know where the Hayes to Washington stuff is coming from , I’ve seen it a few places now. The Wiz literally have 3 centers lol (they’re also paying Dwight and Mahinmi), and Thomas Bryant is only 21yo and showed a lot of promise.

It seems like 8-9th would be the sweet spot for Doumbouya. Washington’s interim GM (Tommy Sheppard) is heavy on international scouting and that’s the type of prospect he would target, especially for a team that’s going to be in a developmental year. If Atlanta doesn’t take Sekou at #8 then he probably goes #9.

Also heard the reports about Minnesota giving a promise to Hachimura, I could see that happening if they’re planning on moving away from Saric.

not sure how Rui Hach would be a replacement for Saric at this point, just different roles/archetypes right now.

i thinky Minny is praying Coby falls to them, after that it's probably Clarke or Rui, but I think they'd need to bring back Saric either way.

Return to NBA Draft