Jalen Green - next elite prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#361 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Sengun was the best basketball player of this draft class prior to the NBA and now he’s the best basketball player in the NBA from this class. Sometimes we(myself included) can just flat out overthink prospects.

Potential is so subjective.

I mean yes, but Zach Edey is clearly the best basketball player in the current class and is probably the best college basketball player of the last 25 years and...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#362 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:08 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Sengun was the best basketball player of this draft class prior to the NBA and now he’s the best basketball player in the NBA from this class. Sometimes we(myself included) can just flat out overthink prospects.

I mean yes, but Zach Edey is clearly the best basketball player in the current class and is probably the best college basketball player of the last 25 years and...

I mean, Sengun was a teenager in a professional league. He's actually two months younger than Edey.

I see your point, and I honestly think Edey might contribute more than people think, but balling out at 18 and doing it at 21 is hugely different.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#363 » by DaddyCool19 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I mean, Sengun was a teenager in a professional league. He's actually two months younger than Edey.

I see your point, and I honestly think Edey might contribute more than people think, but balling out at 18 and doing it at 21 is hugely different.

And doing it against pros instead of 18-22 year olds also makes a difference.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#364 » by Big J » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:42 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Big J wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Star: Scottie Barnes
Star potential: Franz Wagner
High level role player: Evan Mobley
High level role player potential: Kuminga
Mid level role player: Jalen Suggs
Bust: Josh Giddey
Busts who could turn it around but have a greatly diminished ceiling from perceived pre-draft: Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green

What?

9-14 in that draft obviously sucked, but the top level guys have been fine and basically what you would expect?

Barnes is the only one that stands out from that group, and it was considered a massive reach for Masai to take him over Suggs. Green & Cade have both been disappointments, but none of the guys after Barnes have really set themselves apart at this point. Franz is a great role player, but his upside is pretty capped unless he's given the keys to a team.

Cade has not been a "disappointment". He had a promising rookie year then got injured his 2nd season. He started off slow returning from an injury to be expected. Hes been getting better and better as the season goes on.

Last 33 games:

23.0 points
4.3 rebounds
7.5 assists
3.1 turnovers
1.5 steals+blocks
57.6% TS%

40.2% from 3pt

Its essentially his 2nd season. Their is going to be alot of success ahead for young Cade.

Eh, he’s never going to be a number one guy on a great team. You expect that from a number overall pick, so in that respect he’s a disappointment.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#365 » by ItsDanger » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:56 pm

Feels like he's getting worse. I expect an offseason trade. The shot discipline just isn't there.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#366 » by EvanZ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:14 pm

This is extreme hindsight bias. You wouldn't be saying this if Sengun turned out to be a bust. Was Steph Curry the best player in his draft class prior to the NBA? I don't know. That's why we have a draft. A bunch of teams obviously didn't think so. Was Giannis the best player in his draft class prior to the NBA? Well, maybe he was! Again, that's why we have drafts.

Was Luka the best player? Absolutely. Was he the first pick? Nope. That's why we have drafts.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:39 pm

EvanZ wrote:

This is extreme hindsight bias. You wouldn't be saying this if Sengun turned out to be a bust. Was Steph Curry the best player in his draft class prior to the NBA? I don't know. That's why we have a draft. A bunch of teams obviously didn't think so. Was Giannis the best player in his draft class prior to the NBA? Well, maybe he was! Again, that's why we have drafts.

Was Luka the best player? Absolutely. Was he the first pick? Nope. That's why we have drafts.

I think when one teenager stands out in terms of strength of competition and overall production, we can probably take it as a good indicator. Luka was another good example.

It’s not to say someone can’t fill out and surpass Sengun, but it was asinine then that he dropped that far.

Jalen Green was my #1 guy in this draft btw. But I think my point was that maybe we shouldn’t be so shocked when prodigies that are already good at basketball end up way better than the guys that have potential and mediocre production. Drafting 19 year olds that produce like Luka and Sengun but have lower perceived ceilings probably works better long term than projecting all the raw projects and hoping they develop like Giannis.

Steph is a guy I definitely missed on as well. I thought he would be a solid 6th man microwave guy, but looking back, he probably was the best non NBA guy in the world already. I think trying to project someone to be the biggest outlier of all time at the most difficult shots in basketball made a lot of people miss.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#368 » by EvanZ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:04 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I think when one teenager stands out in terms of strength of competition and overall production, we can probably take it as a good indicator. Luka was another good example.

It’s not to say someone can’t fill out and surpass Sengun, but it was asinine then that he dropped that far.

Jalen Green was my #1 guy in this draft btw. But I think my point was that maybe we shouldn’t be so shocked when prodigies that are already good at basketball end up way better than the guys that have potential and mediocre production. Drafting 19 year olds that produce like Luka and Sengun but have lower perceived ceilings probably works better long term than projecting all the raw projects and hoping they develop like Giannis.

Steph is a guy I definitely missed on as well. I thought he would be a solid 6th man microwave guy, but looking back, he probably was the best non NBA guy in the world already. I think trying to project someone to be the biggest outlier of all time at the most difficult shots in basketball made a lot of people miss.

It's always easier to look back than to look ahead. Funny how people never seem to learn that lesson no matter how many times they run smack into it.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#369 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 pm

Gotta take Josh Jackson over Lauri Markkanen, he was just a better basketball player at age 19.

Marvin Bagley Jr was amazing in college, have to take him 2nd overall.

Anthony Edwards and LaMelo sucked horribly at 19 years old, Obi Toppin time?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#370 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 am

EvanZ wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

It's always easier to look back than to look ahead. Funny how people never seem to learn that lesson no matter how many times they run smack into it.

I learn a lot more from the prospects I missed on as opposed to my hits.

Anyway, point is, Sengun was easy.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#371 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:23 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Gotta take Josh Jackson over Lauri Markkanen, he was just a better basketball player at age 19.

I don’t think Bagley or Jackson were amazing lmao. Obi Toppin was like 30 years old. Ant was erratic, he didn’t suck.

Reaching, and building strawmen anyway.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#372 » by crows2 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:36 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Gotta take Josh Jackson over Lauri Markkanen, he was just a better basketball player at age 19.

Markannen was a better player than Jackson. Jackson was all about “potential”.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#373 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:09 am

crows2 wrote:

Markannen was a better player than Jackson. Jackson was all about “potential”.

Also, my comments weren’t a commentary on guys that scored 15 ppg being better than the ones that score 14. If they wanted to nitpick and take the cases that make my statement look bad, it’s guys like Michael Beasley. Someone that was wildly productive and dominant at a young age. Not a guy that was projected high purely on hope.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#374 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:49 am

Big J wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Big J wrote:

Eh, he’s never going to be a number one guy on a great team. You expect that from a number overall pick, so in that respect he’s a disappointment.

The standard of a 1 pick being a disappointment isnt "if they can be a number one guy on a great team". Very very few players ever hit that pedestal. Regardless Cade is 22years old and essentially in his 2nd year missing the majority of year 2. Plenty of players have made strides from future all star potential to holy cow hes a top 10 player ITL from early in careers to a few years down the road.

A disappointing pick 1 would be if the Pistons did what you said to do and took Jalen Green pick 1 and passed on Cade Cunningham because "he had a kid in high school" and all the other random biased hate spew you put out at the time on Cade.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#375 » by crows2 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Big J wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

The standard of a 1 pick being a disappointment isnt "if they can be a number one guy on a great team". Very very few players ever hit that pedestal. Regardless Cade is 22years old and essentially in his 2nd year missing the majority of year 2. Plenty of players have made strides from future all star potential to holy cow hes a top 10 player ITL from early in careers to a few years down the road.

A disappointing pick 1 would be if the Pistons did what you said to do and took Jalen Green pick 1 and passed on Cade Cunningham because "he had a kid in high school" and all the other random biased hate spew you put out at the time on Cade.

Technically there are two types of disappointments: The one you describe, in addition to a situation where pick 1 is used on a good player when a generational prospect was available. For instance, even if Ayton had panned out in Phoenix, it was always going to be a disappointing pick having passed on a can’t miss prospect like Luka. (Neither of these situations apply to Cade).
Big J
General Manager

Post#376 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

Always knew this kid would be great.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#377 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

crows2 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Big J wrote:

Technically there are two types of disappointments: The one you describe, in addition to a situation where pick 1 is used on a good player when a generational prospect was available. For instance, even if Ayton had panned out in Phoenix, it was always going to be a disappointing pick having passed on a can’t miss prospect like Luka. (Neither of these situations apply to Cade).

Luka wasn't "can't miss". There were (and still are) legitimate questions about his work ethic, his lack of athleticism, his heliocentric style and his defense. Nobody could have predicted that Luka would be allowed to play no defense, shoot threes at a high volume despite being one of the worst shooters in the league, allowed to be turnover prone, and rules like travels, carries, push offs, moving screens became completely ignored enabling him to succeed where he wouldn't have in the past. It was a perfect storm.

And I'm not convinced Luka didn't engineer his landing spot anyway so making fun of teams for passing is like making fun of teams for passing on Kobe. I don't think it's too far-fetched to suggest he wanted to go the Mavs over the other places due to location, taxes, market. It will never make sense to me that we didn't draft him and there was a ready made trade between ATL and DAL. I like Trae but it just doesn't make any sense they'd prefer him over Luka.
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,225

Post#378 » by QingJames » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Big J wrote:Always knew this kid would be great.

He isn’t great though. He’s not even good.

Other than dribble separation and explosive athleticism, can you tell me one above-average NBA skill that Jalen Green has? Don’t say scoring because even with this red hot streak he’s on, he’s shooting worse from 3 and the same from the field as he did his rookie year. His TS% is still the same awful 54% compared to a league average of 58%.

In fact, it speaks volumes about how truly awful Green is and has been as a player that even with his excellent shooting in the hot streak, he remains cumulatively one of the least efficient players in the league this season.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Big J
General Manager

Post#379 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

QingJames wrote:

Other than dribble separation and explosive athleticism, can you tell me one above-average NBA skill that Jalen Green has? Don’t say scoring because even with this red hot streak he’s on, he’s shooting worse from 3 and the same from the field as he did his rookie year. His TS% is still the same awful 54% compared to a league average of 58%.

In fact, it speaks volumes about how truly awful Green is and has been as a player that even with his excellent shooting in the hot streak, he remains cumulatively one of the least efficient players in the league this season.

He’s averaging 28.5, 6, 4 & 1 on 50, 40, 80 shooting in March, and led his team to 10 straight wins. That’s not good?
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,225

Post#380 » by QingJames » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Big J wrote:
QingJames wrote:

He’s averaging 28.5, 6, 4 & 1 on 50, 40, 80 shooting in March, and led his team to 10 straight wins. That’s not good?

Are we judging players on 10 game sample sizes and hot streaks now? Or by their body of work in the league?
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.

Return to NBA Draft