Jalen Green - next elite prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#341 » by Upperclass » Mon Apr 4, 2022 11:08 pm

^ His TOS are low, but so are his assists. He's not a good shooter but he can score. His shooting will get better but it's pretty clear he's not a natural shooter or playmaker.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#342 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 11:29 pm

these were my top 3 tiers, probably should have ranked Barnes a bit higher, we'll see what happens with Springer/Johnson as well but was high on both of them.

otherwise not much really changes for me at this point.

T1
1 Evan Mobley
2 Cade Cunningham

T2
3 Jalen Green
4 Jalen Suggs

T3
5 Moses Moody
6 Jalen Johnson
7 Jaden Springer
8 Scottie Barnes
9 Jonathan Kuminga
10 Franz Wagner
11 Alperen Sengun
12 Usman Garuba
13 Brandon Boston Jr.
14 Keon Johnson
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#343 » by Big J » Tue Apr 5, 2022 12:33 am

Upperclass wrote:^ His TOS are low, but so are his assists. He's not a good shooter but he can score. His shooting will get better but it's pretty clear he's not a natural shooter or playmaker.

Dude, he's shooting damn near 50/40/80 on high volume since March when things clicked for him. I'm sure his dimes will go up as he starts to see more doubles.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#344 » by K_chile22 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:38 am

Upperclass wrote:^ His TOS are low, but so are his assists. He's not a good shooter but he can score. His shooting will get better but it's pretty clear he's not a natural shooter or playmaker.

Disagree that he's not a good shooter. for the season he's at exactly what Devin Booker shot from 3 his rookie year but on WAY more volume, and that's including the first stretch of the year where he shot 28% because he started shooting crazy high arcing moon balls for some reason and corrected that when he spent some time out with a hammy and just worked on shooting. Since then he's at about 37% on over 300 attempts, which is 6.9 attempts a game. That volume and accuracy is really really good, especially for a rookie. It's finishing craft and strength around the rim along with floater game that he's weaker at
Big J
General Manager

Post#345 » by Big J » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:19 am

K_chile22 wrote:

Disagree that he's not a good shooter. for the season he's at exactly what Devin Booker shot from 3 his rookie year but on WAY more volume, and that's including the first stretch of the year where he shot 28% because he started shooting crazy high arcing moon balls for some reason and corrected that when he spent some time out with a hammy and just worked on shooting. Since then he's at about 37% on over 300 attempts, which is 6.9 attempts a game. That volume and accuracy is really really good, especially for a rookie. It's finishing craft and strength around the rim along with floater game that he's weaker at

Lol @ him needing to be crafty at the rim. We're not talking about Steve Nash here, this dude can jump over anyone and put them on a poster.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#346 » by K_chile22 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:22 am

Big J wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:

Lol @ him needing to be crafty at the rim. We're not talking about Steve Nash here, this dude can jump over anyone and put them on a poster.
You can't just dunk everything. He's going to have to finish around contests. That's why he's only roughly average at the rim among combo guard despite the athletic gifts. No one's saying he needs to be Nash, just needs to get better than he has been, and most young guards usually do. Getting stronger will help too
Big J
General Manager

Post#347 » by Big J » Tue Apr 5, 2022 3:16 am

K_chile22 wrote:
Big J wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Disagree that he's not a good shooter. for the season he's at exactly what Devin Booker shot from 3 his rookie year but on WAY more volume, and that's including the first stretch of the year where he shot 28% because he started shooting crazy high arcing moon balls for some reason and corrected that when he spent some time out with a hammy and just worked on shooting. Since then he's at about 37% on over 300 attempts, which is 6.9 attempts a game. That volume and accuracy is really really good, especially for a rookie. It's finishing craft and strength around the rim along with floater game that he's weaker at

You can't just dunk everything. He's going to have to finish around contests. That's why he's only roughly average at the rim among combo guard despite the athletic gifts. No one's saying he needs to be Nash, just needs to get better than he has been, and most young guards usually do. Getting stronger will help too

Agree about him getting stronger. Holy hell he’s going to be a problem when he fills out a bit. Offensively the kid is going to be like an crazy Kobe/Iverson hybrid.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#348 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:32 am

bumping this for the lulz and because Green looks to be in Ime Udoka's dog house and looking like just another chucker that plays no defense.

wanna good laugh? Go through this thread and read the takes from the usual suspects. Good Lord. Jalen Green is an "elite" prospect and it's a great draft class! Can't make this stuff up. And you wonder why I push back on everyone's takes about draft classes and prospects. Y'all just be saying stuff just to talk half the time.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#349 » by God Squad » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:44 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:bumping this for the lulz and because Green looks to be in Ime Udoka's dog house and looking like just another chucker that plays no defense.

wanna good laugh? Go through this thread and read the takes from the usual suspects. Good Lord. Jalen Green is an "elite" prospect and it's a great draft class! Can't make this stuff up. And you wonder why I push back on everyone's takes about draft classes and prospects. Y'all just be saying stuff just to talk half the time.

Wait, you don't think 21' was a great draft class? I also liked Green as a prospect, but my ceiling was Lavine. Not the Kobe comps people put out there.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#350 » by God Squad » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:these were my top 3 tiers, probably should have ranked Barnes a bit higher, we'll see what happens with Springer/Johnson as well but was high on both of them.

T1
1 Evan Mobley
2 Cade Cunningham

T2
3 Jalen Green
4 Jalen Suggs

T3
5 Moses Moody
6 Jalen Johnson
7 Jaden Springer
8 Scottie Barnes
9 Jonathan Kuminga
10 Franz Wagner
11 Alperen Sengun
12 Usman Garuba
13 Brandon Boston Jr.
14 Keon Johnson

How do you feel now about your tiers with more games played? I'm also really happy for Suggs personally speaking.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#351 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:36 pm

God Squad wrote:
clyde21 wrote:these were my top 3 tiers, probably should have ranked Barnes a bit higher, we'll see what happens with Springer/Johnson as well but was high on both of them.

T1
1 Evan Mobley
2 Cade Cunningham

T2
3 Jalen Green
4 Jalen Suggs

T3
5 Moses Moody
6 Jalen Johnson
7 Jaden Springer
8 Scottie Barnes
9 Jonathan Kuminga
10 Franz Wagner
11 Alperen Sengun
12 Usman Garuba
13 Brandon Boston Jr.
14 Keon Johnson

How do you feel now about your tiers with more games played? I'm also really happy for Suggs personally speaking.

Meh, retroactively i shouldn't have put Jalen Green that high but I was absolute in love with his athleticism and the way he moved on the court, but realistically speaking his archetype has always been off putting to me as a high pick

Jalen Suggs I thought would be a lot better already but glad he's starting to play better

re: Barnes I let the bad shooting metrics/projection discount him down my board a bit too much

Boston/Keon were high RSCI guys that I loved in HS that I thought would be good value picks at that point

biggest miss for me in this class is Jaden Springer, really thought he was a gonna be a legit PG in the NBA and didn't have any real weaknesses coming out but I guess he also didn't have any elite traits either and for guys like this it can go either way.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#352 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Jan 1, 2024 10:46 am

God Squad wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:bumping this for the lulz and because Green looks to be in Ime Udoka's dog house and looking like just another chucker that plays no defense.

Wait, you don't think 21' was a great draft class? I also liked Green as a prospect, but my ceiling was Lavine. Not the Kobe comps people put out there.

I always thought it was overrated. It might seem like my default is to be a contrarian but when you're right your right and I was right about this class. The supposed elite top three guys aren't elite. At best they're very good but not great players. Barnes is great. Sengun is great. But the top three guys aren't. 2-3 potential (maybe) all-stars, sprinkle in a few starters and several role players and that's basically what you get from this class and that's just par for the course. It's average at best.For a class to be great it needs more. 2017 and 2018 are great. I don't know how anyone could think the 2021 class is great but at the same time think the similarly talented 2024 class is weak. I think people just like to embellish for effect and to troll at this point.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,887

Post#353 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 2, 2024 1:22 am

Big J wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Agree about him getting stronger. Holy hell he’s going to be a problem when he fills out a bit. Offensively the kid is going to be like an crazy Kobe/Iverson hybrid.

He will make a good Iverson comp when in China.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#354 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:33 pm

Funny how quiet this thread is. BigJ's favorite prospect. Hmm wonder where BigJ is. Probably taking laps in the Scoot thread.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Big J
General Manager

Post#355 » by Big J » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:26 pm

EvanZ wrote:Funny how quiet this thread is. BigJ's favorite prospect. Hmm wonder where BigJ is. Probably taking laps in the Scoot thread.

Eh, none of the top guys from this draft have really panned out like people thought, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it. Green could still turn into an athletic version of Brad Beal.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#356 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:42 pm

Big J wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Funny how quiet this thread is. BigJ's favorite prospect. Hmm wonder where BigJ is. Probably taking laps in the Scoot thread.

Eh, none of the top guys from this draft have really panned out like people thought, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it. Green could still turn into an athletic version of Brad Beal.

Star: Scottie Barnes
Star potential: Franz Wagner
High level role player: Evan Mobley
High level role player potential: Kuminga
Mid level role player: Jalen Suggs
Bust: Josh Giddey
Busts who could turn it around but have a greatly diminished ceiling from perceived pre-draft: Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green

What?

9-14 in that draft obviously sucked, but the top level guys have been fine and basically what you would expect?
Big J
General Manager

Post#357 » by Big J » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:38 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Big J wrote:

Busts who could turn it around but have a greatly diminished ceiling from perceived pre-draft: Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green

What?

9-14 in that draft obviously sucked, but the top level guys have been fine and basically what you would expect?

Barnes is the only one that stands out from that group, and it was considered a massive reach for Masai to take him over Suggs. Green & Cade have both been disappointments, but none of the guys after Barnes have really set themselves apart at this point. Franz is a great role player, but his upside is pretty capped unless he's given the keys to a team.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#358 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:59 pm

Notice how Big J has built in excuses when he fails on a pick.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#359 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:48 am

Sengun was the best basketball player of this draft class prior to the NBA and now he’s the best basketball player in the NBA from this class. Sometimes we(myself included) can just flat out overthink prospects.

Potential is so subjective.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#360 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:14 am

Big J wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Big J wrote:

What?

Barnes is the only one that stands out from that group, and it was considered a massive reach for Masai to take him over Suggs. Green & Cade have both been disappointments, but none of the guys after Barnes have really set themselves apart at this point. Franz is a great role player, but his upside is pretty capped unless he's given the keys to a team.

Cade has not been a "disappointment". He had a promising rookie year then got injured his 2nd season. He started off slow returning from an injury to be expected. Hes been getting better and better as the season goes on.

Last 33 games:

23.0 points
4.3 rebounds
7.5 assists
3.1 turnovers
1.5 steals+blocks
57.6% TS%

40.2% from 3pt

Its essentially his 2nd season. Their is going to be alot of success ahead for young Cade.

Return to NBA Draft