Cade Cunningham

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Re: Cade Cunningham 

Post#721 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:50 pm

That's what people do though, they look at what htey see, rank them, project them going forward. That's the fun with the draft/rookie prospects. I have no idea how barnes/Cade/mobley/whoever will look in a few years. Cade obviously has some problems with scoring efficiency and turnovers, though. The turnovers were a big problem in his college career as well. I guess people assume he'll get better at that, we shall see.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,557

Post#722 » by azcatz11 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:34 am

BigJ was just spotted behind Cade on the TNT set. You're sick bro
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#723 » by CptCrunch » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:56 am

CptCrunch wrote:
tmorgan wrote:It’s pretty much a done deal at this point. Those that (rightly) see Cade’s lack of explosiveness as a detriment to his future performance have made their points. I understand the doubt. Just remember how many truly elite players there have been that weren’t in any way exceptional athletes in terms of speed, leaping, and quickness. Starting with Bird… and Magic.

Feel for the game, vision. change of pace, posting up smaller guards, these are all real things. Cade does them. I honestly don’t know how Cade’s NBA career will unfold, as he’s a fairly unique player. But he’s definitely worthy of the top pick for a team like Detroit.

His negatives can be summarized in a 3 points.

1/ The main criticism isn't his lack of athleticism, average in the league at best, arguably below average compared to players based on the natural position of his body size. For a superstar, average athleticism is the exception, not the norm. This isn't a huge issue for skill based players.

2/ Questionable passing IQ/questionable decision making/overrated passing skills or some other similar framing, his assist to turnover ratio is tragic for any prospect trying to play point guard in the league.

3/ Cade doesn't elevate his team like a quality PF/point forward. There is no efficiency metrics that shows that Oklahoma State is worse with him on the bench (or better on the court). This could be lumped into point 2 because Cade's main draw is his ability to play the point forward for a 6'8" player. If this part of his game doesn't work out, there is really no reason to take him as a wing prospect over other players.

All of this boils down to the thesis that Cade will be a middling point forward who will basically fit into the mold of an oversized shooting wing (with a good shot) with some play making abilities. This while being a great outcome is not an outcome you want for a #1 prospect.

Looks like the Cade doubters were 100% spot on. Crappy atheleticism, overrated passing, questionable decision making, the same excuses used in college are now being used on the Pistons. Either Cade is the unluckiest man alive or there is something there about him not positively impacting his team.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,014

Post#724 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:09 am

He also is not 6'8. I'm not sure moving him to the shooting guard works defensively either. However, the Pistons are missing several veteran shooters and have been starting Ausar Thompson, Killian Hayes and Isiah Stewart. Who is he supposed to pass to right now other than Jalen Duren when the game starts?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#725 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:30 pm

Cade hasn't even played 82 games as a pro. maybe we should hold off on writing his story at this point.

ftr, i was a doubter, but lets get a grip here.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#726 » by Big J » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:35 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
tmorgan wrote:It’s pretty much a done deal at this point. Those that (rightly) see Cade’s lack of explosiveness as a detriment to his future performance have made their points. I understand the doubt. Just remember how many truly elite players there have been that weren’t in any way exceptional athletes in terms of speed, leaping, and quickness. Starting with Bird… and Magic.

Feel for the game, vision. change of pace, posting up smaller guards, these are all real things. Cade does them. I honestly don’t know how Cade’s NBA career will unfold, as he’s a fairly unique player. But he’s definitely worthy of the top pick for a team like Detroit.

His negatives can be summarized in a 3 points.

1/ The main criticism isn't his lack of athleticism, average in the league at best, arguably below average compared to players based on the natural position of his body size. For a superstar, average athleticism is the exception, not the norm. This isn't a huge issue for skill based players.

2/ Questionable passing IQ/questionable decision making/overrated passing skills or some other similar framing, his assist to turnover ratio is tragic for any prospect trying to play point guard in the league.

3/ Cade doesn't elevate his team like a quality PF/point forward. There is no efficiency metrics that shows that Oklahoma State is worse with him on the bench (or better on the court). This could be lumped into point 2 because Cade's main draw is his ability to play the point forward for a 6'8" player. If this part of his game doesn't work out, there is really no reason to take him as a wing prospect over other players.

All of this boils down to the thesis that Cade will be a middling point forward who will basically fit into the mold of an oversized shooting wing (with a good shot) with some play making abilities. This while being a great outcome is not an outcome you want for a #1 prospect.

Looks like the Cade doubters were 100% spot on. Crappy atheleticism, overrated passing, questionable decision making, the same excuses used in college are now being used on the Pistons. Either Cade is the unluckiest man alive or there is something there about him not positively impacting his team.

Yea, I was on this early. Another thing I don’t like about him is that he doesn’t seem like he cares whether his team wins or looses. He has the same look on his face no matter what happens.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#727 » by The-Power » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:08 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:Cade hasn't even played 82 games as a pro. maybe we should hold off on writing his story at this point.

ftr, i was a doubter, but lets get a grip here.

Agreed. Also, I wasn't as enamored with his start to the season as some people were. But let's be clear: he's playing with no actual shooters around him for most of the game. I'd wait to see him play on an actually functional NBA offense before passing final judgement because these Pistons – while fun on defense – ain't it.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#728 » by tmorgan » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:13 pm

Interesting dig up.

Yeah, he has noticeable warts. He gets way too much defensive attention, though, because our offense besides him is really, really bad.

We’ll see. Monty’s “no shooters but Cade” lineup is not functioning well, though, that’s for sure.
Big J
General Manager

Post#729 » by Big J » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:49 pm

I think in the long run this team should be Ausars & Cade can be his Pippen.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#730 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:12 pm

Big J wrote:I think in the long run this team should be Ausars & Cade can be his Pippen.

ausar is shockingly good so early in his career, but at this point, you don't want him taking the shots of a #1. he was atrocious last night and detroit didn't get back into the game until he stopped shooting/playing. for now, you want ausar playing that do-it-all, as a Jazz fan, that Andrei Kirilenko role - of a guy who defends, creates for teammates, scores easy buckets, rebounds, etc. you don't want him him taking 16 shots in a half. the shooting just hasn't caught up with the rest of his game. yet.
Big J
General Manager

Post#731 » by Big J » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:57 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Big J wrote:I think in the long run this team should be Ausars & Cade can be his Pippen.

ausar is shockingly good so early in his career, but at this point, you don't want him taking the shots of a #1. he was atrocious last night and detroit didn't get back into the game until he stopped shooting/playing. for now, you want ausar playing that do-it-all, as a Jazz fan, that Andrei Kirilenko role - of a guy who defends, creates for teammates, scores easy buckets, rebounds, etc. you don't want him him taking 16 shots in a half. the shooting just hasn't caught up with the rest of his game. yet.

True, but he has better tools to carry the load as a true number 1. He's got early stage Kawhi vibes.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#732 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:46 pm

Cade is basically Evan Turner with a 3. I don’t think he is a lead ball handler long term.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#733 » by CptCrunch » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:20 pm

There is actually no evidence that Cade is a positive basketball player by his third season.

The man is a below replacement level point guard being annointed a franchise superstar.
Time for Change
Bench Warmer
And1: 727

Post#734 » by Time for Change » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:49 am

He’s going to average 21 ppg on 20 shots and lead the league in turnovers, and Detroit will max him without a second thought.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#735 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:16 pm

Time for Change wrote:He’s going to average 21 ppg on 20 shots and lead the league in turnovers, and Detroit will max him without a second thought.

He's playing with the worst spacing relative to his era maybe in NBA history.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#736 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:06 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Time for Change wrote:He’s going to average 21 ppg on 20 shots and lead the league in turnovers, and Detroit will max him without a second thought.

He's playing with the worst spacing relative to his era maybe in NBA history.

Perhaps his agent chose this strategy so he can use this excuse for his entire playing career from college through the NBA. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#737 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:43 pm

>Missed entire 2nd year due to injury
>Playing with two big men
>Playing with literally Ausar Thompson and Killian Hayes as his wings

I'm not sure how I can judge these few games he's played.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#738 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Nov 6, 2023 9:24 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:>Missed entire 2nd year due to injury
>Playing with two big men
>Playing with literally Ausar Thompson and Killian Hayes as his wings

I'm not sure how I can judge these few games he's played.

you can't.
Big J
General Manager

Post#739 » by Big J » Mon Nov 6, 2023 9:26 pm

My Hedo Turkoglu comp is looking spot on right now. Laissez faire attitude, good not great, expression never changes, needs to be a teams beta. Turk was actually clutch as **** though. We've yet to see if Cade is that.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,746

Post#740 » by KembaWalker » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:43 am

clyde21 wrote:lol @ comparing Deni to Cade

Deni at Cade's absurd usage would be a much better player

clyde21 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:he is so slow, i'm not seeing it

he's not slow at all, he's just methodical in his movements because he processes information quickly, very deliberate and doesn't rush, he doesn't need to outrun anyone.

if I had to isolate an issue for him offensively it's his first step, but he's so good with the ball that he'll still have no issues creating space.

He is slow, I'm not seeing it

Return to NBA Draft