Roko Prkačin

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Pandemic Pea
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Roko Prkačin 

Post#61 » by Pandemic Pea » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:14 pm

Dam I like the look of this kid a lot. Love his aggressiveness and desire to get to the hoop, looks like a really good athlete, has a beautiful looking shot. Looks like he has a great upside given his youth and athletic tools, looks like a modern day 4.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#62 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Pandemic Pea wrote:Dam I like the look of this kid a lot. Love his aggressiveness and desire to get to the hoop, looks like a really good athlete, has a beautiful looking shot. Looks like he has a great upside given his youth and athletic tools, looks like a modern day 4.

Exactly.

Size too. The combination of size (6'9" 225 lbs), youth (only age 18), skill (can post up, rebound, block shots inside while at the same time being able to shoot, handle the ball and pass like a guard) combined with his aggressiveness/the way he plays with a chip on his shoulder/has an edge to him, he's a top 15 prospect in this draft IMO.

Yet pretty much every mock on mainstream sites has him going in the 26-35 range. Someone is gonna get a steal.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#63 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Clawed wrote:One tempting comparison of him as people have pointed out is Dario Saric but another one is Filip Petrusev from this draft class. Both are the same position in the same league. Filip had better production but Roko has age is much younger. How would yall compare the two of them as a prospect?

I'm a Petrusev fan - think he's going to be a very efficient and productive role player in the NBA. But Roko seems to be more a player able to create from the perimeter. Roko - being so young - is an unfinished product that will need more development.

They seem pretty different to me.

Filip - big man.. stretch 5, like Vucevic..Filip can shoot as well as Vucevic and both are liability on D. Vucevic is quicker, better rebounder, better passer, better moves around the rim, better mid-range game. Vucevic is just better at everything else - but both similar in terms of outside shooting ability and similar in terms of weak defense

Roko - really more of a jack of all trades, more of a well-rounded game as opposed to Filip who's just a big man who can shoot 3's (and also score decently inside). Roko can handle the basketball, shoot it and pass like a guard. He can score at the rim, rebound and block shots like a big. Roko is much quicker, much more athletic, more explosive than Filip, better court vision to find the open man, better defender while also being 3 years younger
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#64 » by Charm » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Pandemic Pea wrote:Dam I like the look of this kid a lot. Love his aggressiveness and desire to get to the hoop, looks like a really good athlete, has a beautiful looking shot. Looks like he has a great upside given his youth and athletic tools, looks like a modern day 4.

Exactly.

Size too. The combination of size (6'9" 225 lbs), youth (only age 18), skill (can post up, rebound, block shots inside while at the same time being able to shoot, handle the ball and pass like a guard) combined with his aggressiveness/the way he plays with a chip on his shoulder/has an edge to him, he's a top 15 prospect in this draft IMO.

Yup...at 18, almost every single prospect his size has an obvious weakness in (at least) one key offensive area: shooting, slashing, or playmaking. For Roko I guess I'd point to playmaking as a weakness relative to his other offensive skills, but even there he's arguably ahead of the curve compared to your typical PF prospect. I still have questions about his defense, but he has the potential to be a really special offensive player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#65 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Clawed wrote:One tempting comparison of him as people have pointed out is Dario Saric but another one is Filip Petrusev from this draft class. Both are the same position in the same league. Filip had better production but Roko has age is much younger. How would yall compare the two of them as a prospect?

I'm a Petrusev fan - think he's going to be a very efficient and productive role player in the NBA. But Roko seems to be more a player able to create from the perimeter. Roko - being so young - is an unfinished product that will need more development.

Filip - big man.. stretch 5, like Vucevic..Filip can shoot as well as Vucevic and both are liability on D. Vucevic is quicker, better rebounder, better passer, better moves around the rim, better mid-range game. Vucevic is just better at everything else - but both similar in terms of outside shooting ability and similar in terms of weak defense

Roko - really more of a jack of all trades, more of a well-rounded game as opposed to Filip who's just a big man who can shoot 3's (and also score decently inside). Roko can handle the basketball, shoot it and pass like a guard. He can score at the rim, rebound and block shots like a big. Roko is much quicker, much more athletic, more explosive than Filip, better court vision to find the open man, better defender while also being 3 years younger

I think your either overrating Vuc's athleticism or underrated Petrusev's. Petrusev is much faster running the court, and I don't think Vuc is quicker. I think Petrusev can play some PF. Not sure I'd use Vuc as a comp to Petrusev. I don't see Roko having the defensive ability you do in the NBA, but we'll see.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Charm
Junior

Post#66 » by Charm » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'm a Petrusev fan - think he's going to be a very efficient and productive role player in the NBA. But Roko seems to be more a player able to create from the perimeter. Roko - being so young - is an unfinished product that will need more development.

I think your either overrating Vuc's athleticism or underrated Petrusev's. Petrusev is much faster running the court, and I don't think Vuc is quicker. I think Petrusev can play some PF. Not sure I'd use Vuc as a comp to Petrusev. I don't see Roko having the defensive ability you do in the NBA, but we'll see.

Petrusev's low assist and steal rates probably reflect a lack of awareness more than anything, which isn't a great sign for him. If not for that, though, I think he has the raw physical tools to play either frontcourt position effectively. And his scoring touch is off the charts good.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#67 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'm a Petrusev fan - think he's going to be a very efficient and productive role player in the NBA. But Roko seems to be more a player able to create from the perimeter. Roko - being so young - is an unfinished product that will need more development.

I meant moreso in a half court setting Vucevic is quicker at driving to the hoop, he's simply quicker/more mobile moving around the court in a half court setting. Sometimes it seems like Filip is going in slow motion out there.

All I said about Roko's defense is he is a better defender than Filip, which he clearly is IMO. Roko is a really good help defender from clips I've seen...he could improve a little bit with lateral quickness to defend quicker wings on perimeter but he's solid closing out on shooters and here he even blocks Evan Mobley inside:

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#68 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:34 pm

I responded to your comment that he can block shots like a big. I'm doubtful about that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Hal14
RealGM

Post#69 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:I responded to your comment that he can block shots like a big. I'm doubtful about that.

From what I've seen, he can block shots like John Collins can block shots. And John Çollins is an ideal stretch 4 in the modern NBA - he's even played a little bit of 5 when Capela was out.

And the fact that Roko is already doing it at age 18 in a professional league is encouraging.
Charm
Junior

Post#70 » by Charm » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:18 pm

Prkacin averaged less than half a block per game this season...that's just an inexcusably bad average for an aspiring PF.

Saric, playing for the same team against the same competition at the same age averaged nearly twice as many blocks as Prkacin, and he's among the absolute worst shot-blocking bigs in the NBA. Sure, you can find highlights where he blocks shots...but you can do that for any prospect who has a pulse.

I don't think this is a dealbreaker necessarily; if a team already has a nice defensive anchor at center then he could be a great fit at PF. But I think it'd be foolish to expect him to be a positive-impact defender at the NBA level.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#71 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 pm

Charm wrote:Prkacin averaged less than half a block per game this season...that's just an inexcusably bad average for an aspiring PF.

Saric, playing for the same team against the same competition at the same age averaged nearly twice as many blocks as Prkacin, and he's among the absolute worst shot-blocking bigs in the NBA. Sure, you can find highlights where he blocks shots...but you can do that for any prospect who has a pulse.

I don't think this is a dealbreaker necessarily; if a team already has a nice defensive anchor at center then he could be a great fit at PF. But I think it'd be foolish to expect him to be a positive-impact defender at the NBA level.

You're reaching.

1) Roko didn't average "less than half a block per game this season".. He averaged exactly half a block per game this season. This right here tells me you're really reaching to try and make Roko look bad.

2) Saric at age 18 averaged 0.8 blocks per game. So one guy averaged 0.5 and the other averaged 0.8 Is it really that big of a difference for it to be worth mentioning? Saric is 6'10" and Roko is 6'9", maybe that had something to do with Saric having a slightly higher blocks per game average.

3) Shot blocking is just 1 of many aspects of defense. Yet, just because Roko had a slightly lower blocks per game average than Saric, that automatically means he'll be a negative defender for his entire NBA career, lol.

4) Draymond Green is one of the best defensive PF's of the past decade. You know how many blocks per game he averaged during his age 18 season? 0.2 during his freshman year at Michigan state, and that was facing weaker competition than Roko faced this year

Dennis Rodman might be the best defensive PF of all time. During his age 18 season he worked as a high school janitor.

Karl Malone (outstanding defensive PF) his age 18 season he was in high school. His freshman year of college at age 19 though (so a year older than Roko and playing against far weaker competition at small college Louisiana Tech) he averaged just 0.7 blocks per game)

5) PFs aren't typically big time shot blockers. You look for your center to be the rim protector, blocks from other guys are usually seen as a bonus. Roko closes out well on shooters, he's a good help defender, he does a good job staying in front of his man. He's not an elite defender but certainly not a guy who's going to hurt you defensively and of course at age 18 will only get better.
Charm
Junior

Post#72 » by Charm » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:37 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Charm wrote:Prkacin averaged less than half a block per game this season...that's just an inexcusably bad average for an aspiring PF.

You're reaching.

1) Roko didn't average "less than half a block per game this season".. He averaged exactly half a block per game this season. This right here tells me you're really reaching to try and make Roko look bad.

2) Saric at age 18 averaged 0.8 blocks per game. So one guy averaged 0.5 and the other averaged 0.8 Is it really that big of a difference for it to be worth mentioning? Saric is 6'10" and Roko is 6'9", maybe that had something to do with Saric having a slightly higher blocks per game average.

3) Shot blocking is just 1 of many aspects of defense. Yet, just because Roko had a slightly lower blocks per game average than Saric, that automatically means he'll be a negative defender for his entire NBA career, lol.

4) Draymond Green is one of the best defensive PF's of the past decade. You know how many blocks per game he averaged during his age 18 season? 0.2 during his freshman year at Michigan state, and that was facing weaker competition than Roko faced this year

Dennis Rodman might be the best defensive PF of all time. During his age 18 season he worked as a high school janitor.

Karl Malone (outstanding defensive PF) his age 18 season he was in high school. His freshman year of college at age 19 though (so a year older than Roko and playing against far weaker competition at small college Louisiana Tech) he averaged just 0.7 blocks per game)

5) PFs aren't typically big time shot blockers. You look for your center to be the rim protector, blocks from other guys are usually seen as a bonus. Roko closes out well on shooters, he's a good help defender, he does a good job staying in front of his man. He's not an elite defender but certainly not a guy who's going to hurt you defensively and of course at age 18 will only get better.

When a guy plays 1500 minutes in a season you learn a lot about him, for better and for worse. Roko showed a lot of good things, but shot blocking really wasn't one of them, and it's a skill that usually shows up the first time a guy plays significant minutes (in contrast to shooting and passing, which tend to develop over time). It'd be a huge shock to me if his shot blocking numbers actually go up when he transitions to the NBA.

Like I said, not a dealbreaker, and not the only important aspect of defense. But it does make fit important: you can't pair him with another non-rim-protector in the frontcourt, or NBA offenses will run a layup line on you.

Atlanta will be tempted to add more of an instant-impact guy, but I think Roko would be a great fit there. Gallo's an ideal mentor, and they have plenty of shot-blocking bigs.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#73 » by Hal14 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#74 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:46 pm

I had heard he had some trepidation about coming to the US now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#75 » by EvanZ » Wed May 24, 2023 7:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:Looked for a dedicated thread, didn't find one so here we are. Kind of surprised to be honest, as I keep hearing about this kid. He's obviously got some size and he's super young (youngest in the class), which makes him automatically intriguing. I don't know anything about the league he's playing in, and his stats don't seem overwhelming or anything. Good 3P% on small sample, bad FT% again on small sample. How would you guys compare him to Wagner, Deni, etc? Curious to get a discussion going.

What happened to Roko? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#76 » by clyde21 » Wed May 24, 2023 7:31 pm

perfect example of a player that should've struck while the iron is hot, kept returning and never got any better and now his candle is died out and no one cares
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#77 » by DCasey91 » Wed May 24, 2023 11:42 pm

Loved the kid back then still do in some ways but his shot is f’d up. Still warrants a second rounder imo as he has the tools to contribute. Can do far worse in the later rounds imo.

Physically he was ready to go back then same as now. Dude just keeps knocking people over
around the same size or bigger lol.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 911

Post#78 » by Pokuokic » Thu May 25, 2023 9:42 am

DCasey91 wrote:Loved the kid back then still do in some ways but his shot is f’d up. Still warrants a second rounder imo as he has the tools to contribute. Can do far worse in the later rounds imo.

Physically he was ready to go back then same as now. Dude just keeps knocking people over

He can't do anything against NBA size/athletic ability (or somewhat lesser), when I watched him in the ABA he was useless the moment you put NBA type size on him (Dalibor Illic). Watch any of his games in the ABA last year on youtube and second someone matches him athletically he's invisible. He was one of those guys who physically matured faster than everyone in his age group but than when people somewhat caught up physically he had nothing. IQ/skill very average.

This year he's playing for Marc Gasol team in the super strong ACB liga and I have not watched much.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#79 » by Hal14 » Thu May 25, 2023 3:05 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Loved the kid back then still do in some ways but his shot is f’d up. Still warrants a second rounder imo as he has the tools to contribute. Can do far worse in the later rounds imo.

He didn't declare for the draft this year.

Return to NBA Draft