Roko Prkačin

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Roko Prkačin 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Mon May 3, 2021 5:36 pm

Looked for a dedicated thread, didn't find one so here we are. Kind of surprised to be honest, as I keep hearing about this kid. He's obviously got some size and he's super young (youngest in the class), which makes him automatically intriguing. I don't know anything about the league he's playing in, and his stats don't seem overwhelming or anything. Good 3P% on small sample, bad FT% again on small sample. How would you guys compare him to Wagner, Deni, etc? Curious to get a discussion going.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,262

Re: Roko Prkačin 

Post#2 » by Catchall » Mon May 3, 2021 6:07 pm

He's interesting and, I think, underrated on current mock drafts. He's got good size and decent athleticism. He can handle and pass well for a forward. He can post a bit and finish inside. He plays hard with some toughness and aggression that make him intriguing. His shot is inconsistent, but he should be able to iron it out.

If he measures out at a legit 6'9", then I think he becomes comparable as a prospect to Samanic.

Wagner moved up draft boards largely due to his defensive versatility and instincts, which Roko hasn't yet shown. Wagner may be able to play on the wing in some matchups. That's mainly what separates the two at this stage.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Mon May 3, 2021 6:23 pm

he's in the Deni/Samanic mold, but I think I like him a little bit more than either, more athletic than Samanic and a better playmaker/transition player than Deni.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,823

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Mon May 3, 2021 6:26 pm

It wells so short time ago I was creating Nikola Prkačin in my NBA Live FIBA mod, and now we have his son in NBA draft. Damn.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#5 » by Mickey8 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:26 pm

He's more Dario Saric type of the player than Avdija who is the wing player. Prkacin is the power forward.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#6 » by Hal14 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Bumping this thread to try and get some more opinions/thoughts on this kid. Like what I'm seeing on film.

Looks like a legit stretch 4 in the modern NBA. You see the combination of inside skills, battling in the post, defending bigs, rebounding, rim protection, even matching up well and frustrating Mobley in some clips I saw where the 2 are matched up. But then you also see the perimeter skills, knocking down 3's with smooth, compact release, shooting 39% from 3, leading the break, solid passing and ball handling, seems like for an 18 year old kid he has a strong frame and also fundamentally sound with good poise.

Curious how high people take him?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#7 » by Charm » Thu May 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Saric is just a ridiculously tempting comparison considering he played nearly identical minutes for the same team, in the same leagues.

Saric 2012-13: 11.6 points (.49/.30/.66 shooting), 7.3 boards, 2.2 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.9 blocks, 3.1 fouls, 2.8 turnovers
Prkacin 2020-21: 12.9 points (.50/.35/.62 shooting), 7.1 boards, 1.9 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.5 blocks, 2.7 fouls, 2.4 turnovers

Prkacin about 6 months younger, with a very similar physical profile. Add it all up, and it probably points to Prkacin being a slightly better offensive prospect, but a slightly worse defensive prospect (which is obviously frightening because Saric's already a below-average defender).

I'd probably draft him in the early 20's or so.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,823

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Charm wrote:Saric is just a ridiculously tempting comparison considering he played nearly identical minutes for the same team, in the same leagues.

Saric 2012-13: 11.6 points (.49/.30/.66 shooting), 7.3 boards, 2.2 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.9 blocks, 3.1 fouls, 2.8 turnovers
Prkacin 2020-21: 12.9 points (.50/.35/.62 shooting), 7.1 boards, 1.9 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.5 blocks, 2.7 fouls, 2.4 turnovers

Prkacin about 6 months younger, with a very similar physical profile. Add it all up, and it probably points to Prkacin being a slightly better offensive prospect, but a slightly worse defensive prospect (which is obviously frightening because Saric's already a below-average defender).

Dario Saric was generational talent among youth, and he took next step in 2014 season. I mean so far Roko seems on pace, but not sure he could take same step forward Saric did made with Cibona.
Charm
Junior

Post#9 » by Charm » Thu May 27, 2021 5:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Charm wrote:Saric is just a ridiculously tempting comparison considering he played nearly identical minutes for the same team, in the same leagues.

Dario Saric was generational talent among youth, and he took next step in 2014 season. I mean so far Roko seems on pace, but not sure he could take same step forward Saric did made with Cibona.

Maybe? 18-year-old prospects are on that ultra-steep part of the aging curve where steady improvement is very likely, and big jumps in performance are not uncommon. So while Saric did take a big step in the 2014 season, I think it's very possible that Prkacin (if he stays with Cibona another year) will take a similar step forward.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,262

Post#10 » by Catchall » Thu May 27, 2021 5:46 pm

If he's on the board, I'd like the Jazz to consider picking him up and having him learn behind Bojan Bogdanovic. Roko could develop a similar driving game.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Hal14
RealGM

Post#11 » by Hal14 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:55 am

I like Roko. But he's only 18. and i feel like this was his first season in the pro leagues. just last year the videos of him were him going against 16 and 17 year old kids.

that, combined with the fact that it doesn't seem like he will be a 1st round pick (seems like somewhere in 2nd round he will go) and I think it's best if he plays 1 more year professionally overseas and then try coming over to the NBA.

thing is, his weaknesses, i don't think they are things he can really control. quickness, leaping, athleticism, and if he was an inch or 2 taller. thats's it, those are his only weaknesses.

skill wise, this dude has it all as a stretch 4. shooting, handle, driving, post ups, defense, rebounding, rim protection, transition play, he's so fundamentally sound and polished for a 6'9" kid at only 18. it's just that he's kind of slow and unathletic..which i suppose another year overseas won't change,. but maybe his skills/savvy/experience will get better with another year professionally overseas and that might get him into the lottery in 2022..

these guys really shouldn't be trying to get drafted until at least age 20..

i think the only 18 year olds in the draft are springer (the dude is a freak and definitely ready, arguably just as good as Suggs), Sengun (yes, he's ready) but Roko, I think he needs 1 more year professionally overseas..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Charm
Junior

Post#12 » by Charm » Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Hal14 wrote:I like Roko. But he's only 18. and i feel like this was his first season in the pro leagues. just last year the videos of him were him going against 16 and 17 year old kids.

that, combined with the fact that it doesn't seem like he will be a 1st round pick (seems like somewhere in 2nd round he will go) and I think it's best if he plays 1 more year professionally overseas and then try coming over to the NBA.

thing is, his weaknesses, i don't think they are things he can really control. quickness, leaping, athleticism, and if he was an inch or 2 taller. thats's it, those are his only weaknesses.

skill wise, this dude has it all as a stretch 4. shooting, handle, driving, post ups, defense, rebounding, rim protection, transition play, he's so fundamentally sound and polished for a 6'9" kid at only 18. it's just that he's kind of slow and unathletic..which i suppose another year overseas won't change,. but maybe his skills/savvy/experience will get better with another year professionally overseas and that might get him into the lottery in 2022..

these guys really shouldn't be trying to get drafted until at least age 28.

i think the only 18 year olds in the draft are springer (the dude is a freak and definitely ready, arguably just as good as Suggs), Sengun (yes, he's ready) but Roko, I think he needs 1 more year professionally overseas..

Don't forget about Kuminga and Giddey (both turning 19 in October).
Hal14
RealGM

Post#13 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:13 am

The more footage I see of this kid, the more I like him. Seems like a really good stretch 4 prospect. Good combination of size (6'9", 7'0" wingspan, 220 lbs, sturdy frame), skill (ball handling, good passer, can score inside and shoot from outside, can lead the break or finish on it) and also putting up pretty good numbers in just his first season of professional ball overseas, at only 18 years old.

EvanZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:26 am

Charm wrote:

If you believe Kuminga's age.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:37 am

EvanZ wrote:
Charm wrote:

If you believe Kuminga's age.

Fischella is that u
Charm
Junior

Post#16 » by Charm » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:55 am

If Kuminga's age is a point of controversy, that's news to me.

Anyway, Prkacin's gonna be a really good offensive player in a few years. But he's also a PF who didn't record a block in the last 9 games of the season. Seems like he moves his feet reasonably well, but I'm still a bit worried that he'll just get destroyed on defense.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#17 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:49 pm

Charm wrote:Anyway, Prkacin's gonna be a really good offensive player in a few years. But he's also a PF who didn't record a block in the last 9 games of the season. Seems like he moves his feet reasonably well, but I'm still a bit worried that he'll just get destroyed on defense.

Where are you seeing those stats? I'm seeing 4 blocks (and 6 steals) in his last 9 games here:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/roko-prkacin-1/gamelog/2021/aba-adriatic/

He also blocked Evan Mobley at the :16 mark here:
Charm
Junior

Post#18 » by Charm » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:52 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Charm wrote:Anyway, Prkacin's gonna be a really good offensive player in a few years. But he's also a PF who didn't record a block in the last 9 games of the season. Seems like he moves his feet reasonably well, but I'm still a bit worried that he'll just get destroyed on defense.

Where are you seeing those stats? I'm seeing 4 blocks (and 6 steals) in his last 9 games here:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/roko-prkacin-1/gamelog/2021/aba-adriatic/

Those are just his Adriatic League games...his last several games were in the Croatian League.

You guys on the realgm forum don't use realgm for international player stats?? :D

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Roko-Prkacin/GameLogs/116734
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:09 pm

Charm wrote:If Kuminga's age is a point of controversy, that's news to me.

He's from Congo. It's well known that only like 1/3 of kids there have legit birth certificates. I think he's probably at least a year older than given.
Charm
Junior

Post#20 » by Charm » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Charm wrote:If Kuminga's age is a point of controversy, that's news to me.

He's from Congo. It's well known that only like 1/3 of kids there have legit birth certificates. I think he's probably at least a year older than given.

Source?

Return to NBA Draft