Amen & Ausar Thompson - Potential 2022 NBA Draft Guys

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,444

Re: Amen & Ausar Thompson - Potential 2022 NBA Draft Guys 

Post#501 » by Han Solo » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:25 am

Ausar looks the part. Has the black mamba mentality without faking it.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#502 » by Hal14 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:52 am

You look at the performances in FIBA this summer for guys like Almansa and Sarr.

You look at Gortman getting a 2-way, Barlow dominating summer league, jaylen martin getting a 2-way.

Tyler Smith probably gonna put on a show this season for Ignite.

Montero ripped it up this season in Europe at age 19.

Amen and Ausar look GOOD in summer league.

Hmmm. That OTE competition these past 2 yrs wasn't that bad, huh?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#503 » by The Moose » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:50 am

Ausar has been better than I expected, looks like a potential perennial all defensive team guy. I'm not sure what the comp is for him really, maybe Iggy or a smaller AK47.

Read on Twitter

His box score production is all over the place with ups and downs.

He's 2nd in the league for OREB/gm and 9th in the league for Blks/gm, as a 6'7 rookie wing.

He's leading all rookies in rebounds and assists per game, second in steals and third in blocks.

The downside is his 3pt jumper has looked very ugly, and he's struggled to do anything as a scorer outside of transition and cuts in the half court.

I think there is a chance he's the best prospect on the team though
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#504 » by MemphisX » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:40 am

The Moose wrote:Ausar has been better than I expected, looks like a potential perennial all defensive team guy. I'm not sure what the comp is for him really, maybe Iggy or a smaller AK47.

Matrix II?
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#505 » by Big J » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:32 pm

MemphisX wrote:
The Moose wrote:Ausar has been better than I expected, looks like a potential perennial all defensive team guy. I'm not sure what the comp is for him really, maybe Iggy or a smaller AK47.

Matrix II?

Kawhi.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#506 » by JMAC3 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:22 pm

I made the comparison earlier in the thread of Ausar to Scottie Pippen as an optimal outcome. His steals and blocks potential aren't really feeling like that was too crazy. Ausar has 25 dunks in 17 games, there is a real case to be made that he is the best athlete in the NBA right now.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#507 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:21 pm

Apparently we aren't talking about Thompson twins enough as someone pointed out in another thread.

Amen Thompson 7/8 14 pts today
Ausar 3/3 8 pts at half.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,988

Post#508 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:21 pm

I don't understand how they become star players in this modern NBA yet. Not saying they can't, I just cant imagine how it works for their skillset to translate to star status in this NBA.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
wemby
Senior
And1: 314

Post#509 » by wemby » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:48 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I don't understand how they become star players in this modern NBA yet. Not saying they can't, I just cant imagine how it works for their skillset to translate to star status in this NBA.

It's very easy to do so if you believe they can develop into mediocre shooters (say 33% from 3 and 70% from the line) instead of horrid ones like they're now. But seeing how awful their misses are, that will be quite a challenge.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,988

Post#510 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:45 am

wemby wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I don't understand how they become star players in this modern NBA yet. Not saying they can't, I just cant imagine how it works for their skillset to translate to star status in this NBA.

It's very easy to do so if you believe they can develop into mediocre shooters (say 33% from 3 and 70% from the line) instead of horrid ones like they're now. But seeing how awful their misses are, that will be quite a challenge.

I could see them becoming spot shooters on perimeter but I'd be impressed if the manage to add a 3 shot with volume to their arsenal at this point in their life. One would assume they practice shooting already and have worked on their shot from childhood.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
wemby
Senior
And1: 314

Post#511 » by wemby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 am

zimpy27 wrote:
wemby wrote:

I could see them becoming spot shooters on perimeter but I'd be impressed if the manage to add a 3 shot with volume to their arsenal at this point in their life. One would assume they practice shooting already and have worked on their shot from childhood.

They don't need to be volume 3 point shooters, just good enough that defenders don't sag off of them like they do with Westbrook. With their athleticism, skills and bball IQ, that's all they need to be excellent players. But if they don't get there, they won't be stars in this era, that's a fatal flaw.
As far as your assessment that they've already trained their shot, that could be said of most players, yet it's common to see dramatic improvements once they get to the NBA, so that already refutes your assumption. I am more concerned than usual in their case, because their misses are JUST AWFUL, airballs left right, short... that speaks of something seriously wrong with their shot.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#512 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:01 am

JMAC3 wrote:Apparently we aren't talking about Thompson twins enough as someone pointed out in another thread.

Ausar 3/3 8 pts at half.

I mean, they have no shot whatsoever in the NBA unless they either have miracle shooting development or a team builds their entire roster around them as roll man.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#513 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:23 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Apparently we aren't talking about Thompson twins enough as someone pointed out in another thread.

Ausar 3/3 8 pts at half.

I mean, they have no shot whatsoever in the NBA unless they either have miracle shooting development or a team builds their entire roster around them as roll man.

:lol:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#514 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:28 am

Hal14 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Ausar 3/3 8 pts at half.

I don't see any future in the NBA for non-shooting non roll men.

Shooting becomes even more important every single year. I don't think Prime Ben Simmons would be a helpful player in this era and he would get worse each year. Unless rule changes make shooting less relevant, the Thompson twins are either going to hurt their team badly or will need the entire team build around them. There's a reason why Ausar barely plays on the worst team in NBA history.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#515 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:57 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Shooting becomes even more important every single year. I don't think Prime Ben Simmons would be a helpful player in this era and he would get worse each year. Unless rule changes make shooting less relevant, the Thompson twins are either going to hurt their team badly or will need the entire team build around them. There's a reason why Ausar barely plays on the worst team in NBA history.

It was a horrible take the first time you made it. No need to double down on it.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#516 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:10 am

Hal14 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Hal14 wrote: :lol:

It was a horrible take the first time you made it. No need to double down on it.

It feels like NBA Draft people are growing increasingly disconnected from the NBA itself to try to project guys they like into NBA roles that don't exist anymore.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,069

Post#517 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:16 am

Why not give them an NBA offseason to work on their weaknesses after seeing what does and doesn't work in the League before writing their career epitaphs?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#518 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:36 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Why not give them an NBA offseason to work on their weaknesses after seeing what does and doesn't work in the League before writing their career epitaphs?

They have been working nonstop on their jumpshots for the last three years and Ausar is probably the worst shooter in NBA history relative to his position and era.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,069

Post#519 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:38 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Why not give them an NBA offseason to work on their weaknesses after seeing what does and doesn't work in the League before writing their career epitaphs?

They have been working nonstop on their jumpshots for the last three years and Ausar is probably the worst shooter in NBA history relative to his position and era.

There is a difference between working with NBA shooting coaches and these off-brand trainers. I'll give them at least an offseason with their team-affiliated staffs to see if they improve. I mean, it's not like they were drafted for their rookie years alone.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#520 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:29 am

I try to give these young guys at least a full off-season working with NBA coaches before getting worried let alone writing them off. It is odd that any basketball player can get to this level and either have trouble shooting or have issues dribbling. These are literally the first things you do when you first pick up the game as a boy. You have to try really hard not to put in the work necessary to improve in these areas.

Return to NBA Draft